Inconsistency Factor

one of the things i like about kyle cassity is his perspective on what is a good shot or not. while we would all like him to force the action more, on the other hand, maybe it is a matter he is taking what he knows he can succeed at and no more.

if it was a problem, he would not be getting the minutes per game he gets. afterall we have a hall of fame coach.

and it cant be a matter that their hands are tied or he would be benched. heck most of you ripping on cassity also have posted just recently just how loaded our roster is stocked.

kyle is doing fine on shot selection. overall as a team, we could be rebounding better and cutting turnovers and making foul shots. but individually, i dont know if there is a place to direct mucho blame more than any one other player.

KC is a role player at best, currently playing outside his role. So too is BC. When RM and others lament "havng no sniors" net year he will hav seniors and those guys will be KC, BC and PE. I expect they will lead by example and by vocal power --- I do not expect them to all f a sudden grow a set and become someone they are not.

I see KC and BC as complimentary DI players --- but they can only compliment something already on the court. They are the current go-to guys and that won't work. Ceer them on for trying --- billikan will be happy!

Everyone on this team is a role player and key roles are missing: go-to guy, point guard, window washing goalie, rebounder, and shooter(s). If we had a rive-and-dish (KM) guy teams respected, it would cause help defense which in turn would allow more space for these role-playing shooters (CS/CE/RL/MM) to possibly get more open looks. More open looks start to go down and th confidence level builds. Less help defense and the dish (KM) and dunk (WR from KM) is an option. The help defnese ther allows for garbage putbacks (BC and CR) in the paint.

The whole is a sum of the parts and parts are missing. Cheer, cheer for the Saint Louis Gaedells.

one of the things i like about kyle cassity is his perspective on what is a good shot or not. while we would all like him to force the action more, on the other hand, maybe it is a matter he is taking what he knows he can succeed at and no more.

if it was a problem, he would not be getting the minutes per game he gets. afterall we have a hall of fame coach.

and it cant be a matter that their hands are tied or he would be benched. heck most of you ripping on cassity also have posted just recently just how loaded our roster is stocked.

kyle is doing fine on shot selection. overall as a team, we could be rebounding better and cutting turnovers and making foul shots. but individually, i dont know if there is a place to direct mucho blame more than any one other player.

while i agree w/ your post for the most part, if he's only taking the opportunities he knows will allow him to succeed, and that results in him scoring zero points, then he SUCKS. i think we all know he doesn't suck. he just needs to get mean out there and make some shots. plain and simple. the difference between cassity and dwayne "double penetration" polk was that polk sucked and we knew it. hence his -ton of goose eggs. cassity can do better and he needs to for this team to succeed.

I agree with Roy. I think directing one's disgust over this fairly miserable season at Kyle is misguided. What's more I am sure every single player on the roster would tell you the same thing.

Kyle is a role player who was thrust into the role of "go-to-guy." He is not that guy. That doesn't mean he is a coward, it just isn't in his make-up. The kid leaves it on the floor every night, and unlike Brian who also gives everything he has, I think Kyle plays a cerebral game of basketball. He does a lot of little things well, he just isn't a stat-sheet-stuffer.

You're taking something that was said and using it out of context to suit your point. I don't remember anyone stating the roster was loaded. I do remember people (me included) saying it would be over the next 2 years especially with KM and WR on the roster for an extra year. I like our roster next year with all the freshman having a year under their belt and KM and WR back. I like it even more the following year when KM and WR are still on the roster and all the current freshmen are Jr's.

While I agree with most of what you have to say, I would say that passing up good shots can be just as bad a taking bad shots. Sometimes not looking to shoot is equivalent to taking bad shots in my opinion.

I agree with Roy. I think directing one's disgust over this fairly miserable season at Kyle is misguided. What's more I am sure every single player on the roster would tell you the same thing.

Kyle is a role player who was thrust into the role of "go-to-guy." He is not that guy. That doesn't mean he is a coward, it just isn't in his make-up. The kid leaves it on the floor every night, and unlike Brian who also gives everything he has, I think Kyle plays a cerebral game of basketball. He does a lot of little things well, he just isn't a stat-sheet-stuffer.

I don't think anyone is throwing Kyle under the bus for a bad season but the objective data shows that he is inconsistent. Part of being a veteran player warrants the expectation of consistent play. The subjective viewpoint of his game would also point to him being inconsistent. One thing he is consistent upon is his ability to give 110% on the floor in terms of effort; however, sometimes effort is not translated into production. You have to produce to win and medals aren't given for effort the last I looked.

I disagree on KC's shot selection. 2-4 times a game, he'll pass up an open look. In fact, he'll not take the shot and we'll usually pass the ball around the perimeter and end up taking a tougher shot. He needs to take those shots, in addition to driving to the bucket more. I would rather see turnovers, missed shots, etc. with him being aggressive as opposed to the mistakes he makes while playing tentatively. I like KC. I like him as a player and seems to be a good kid that gives everything he has. However, that doesn't mean he is immune to criticism.

I said the roster would be loaded next season with WR and KM. I believe that assuming we get all expected players on the roster. As many others have said, KM and WR will make the role players much much better. RL (who is improving as the season goes on) will make WR's live easier. Plus, throw JB into the mix (assuming he is as good as advertised). We will have a 13 player deep roster, with sophomores that have a ton of time under their belts. We will be somewhat-to-fairly deep at every spot with quality players.

We have talent on the current roster. Playing time, experience and a couple of good ingredients will solidify this roster.

roy, if we were winning games and scoring more points I'd be more inclined to agree with you. Last year RM himself complained about KC not shooting enough. He's on the floor this year because he has talent and experience. We're hoping he comes out of his comfort zone a little bit and takes off the training wheels. IMO, he's a good enough player that the shots will find there way into the basket.

There are lots of things to improve on this team, as you mentioned.

I am not saying KC is above criticism. He is not, and to those who say he passes on some good looks, I completely agree.

The point in my post was that I would put my disappointment in Cassity behind:

1)Ellis's regression

2)Remekun's regression,

3)Poor free-throw shooting,

4)Loe's inability to do anything inside

5)Conklin's lack of any touch around the basket.

the more i think about it, the more i think KC plays not to screw up so that he doesn't get pulled from the game. someone mentioned recently how terribly short RM's leash is (for everyone except maybe KM). KC is smart enough to realize this and maybe tries to play mistake-free ball too much. however, RM so much as called him on it last year and said if he didn't start shooting he was sitting. so who knows. i really like KC but sometimes you wonder what would happen if DE got all those minutes.

I am not saying KC is above criticism. He is not, and to those who say he passes on some good looks, I completely agree.

1)Ellis's regression

2)Remekun's regression,

I'd put KC disappointment at #4 on that list and bump the other 2 down, but I agree with the thrust of your post.

At least CR and RL seem to be trending up.

No. Good try Roy.

Passing up a wide-open shot and tossing the ball to a teammate (often a Freshman) with 5 seconds on the shot clock are NOT the signs of a player who knows what a what a good shot is or is not. Also, these are not the signs of an experienced player. Don't get me wrong, I have been a defender of KC's for years. KC is not as bad as some make him out to but he also is nowhere close to being an NBA player. Is it possible that he ends up playing in the NBA? I guess everything is possible but not very likely for him. Yes, he has a better chance than I but to suggest he is close is also a mistake. In short, KC lacks the strength (I'm disappointed that his not stronger than he is now) to play in the NBA and, more importantly, he lacks the ability and desire to score. NBA players want the ball and want to shoot it (often too much). KC does not. If left open or unguarded, KC will burn his defender. If well guarded, though, KC will not score - and usually won't even try to scrore.

To answer Footes earlier question, having a role player at the 1, 2 or 3 positions IS a problem for the reason that it shifts the scoring burden upon the shoulders of the other 4 players. Now, when the other 4 players are willing and up to the task, then a good (not great) college team can get away with having such a role player. Unlike Dwayne Polk whom opponents did not even bother trying to guard and whom did not add other great skills, KC earns his keep by keeping the other teams honest with points (occasional outsite made 3 pointer and a few drives/layups -- 10 ppg) and usually makes good passes with few turnovers. Our problem last year, and this year, is we have too many of these types on the floor at the same time. KC would be a fine complement to KL but when KC and CS are paired together, the results are not pretty. Then, when you add PE or one of the Freshman point guards to the mix, we now have 3 guards who cannot/won't shoot. The end result is that our team must rely upon our Freshman. Is KC a bad athlete? Absolutely not, but at the same time, most 6'4" guards who play 30 minutes per game are among the best athletes, shooters and overall players on the floor. KC is not.

Last year, when KC was only a Soph, I cut him some slack b/c of his youth and b/c of the great leaps in development he made from his Freshman year. This year, KC again has made some big strides but just is not ready/able to be the "go to" guy. For a late addition to the RM's first year recruiting class, KC is a fine player. To ask him to take over the team in the absence of RM and KM is not realistic or fair. At the same time, his playing "hot potato" with the ball and dumping it off to Freshmen with 5 or less on the shot clock also is not fair. We need and deserve better. KC: take the shot. If you miss or fail, so be it.

No. Good try Roy.

Passing up a wide-open shot and tossing the ball to a teammate (often a Freshman) with 5 seconds on the shot clock are NOT the signs of a player who knows what a what a good shot is or is not. Also, these are not the signs of an experienced player. Don't get me wrong, I have been a defender of KC's for years. KC is not as bad as some make him out to but he also is nowhere close to being an NBA player. Is it possible that he ends up playing in the NBA? I guess everything is possible but not very likely for him. Yes, he has a better chance than I but to suggest he is close is also a mistake. In short, KC lacks the strength (I'm disappointed that his not stronger than he is now) to play in the NBA and, more importantly, he lacks the ability and desire to score. NBA players want the ball and want to shoot it (often too much). KC does not. If left open or unguarded, KC will burn his defender. If well guarded, though, KC will not score - and usually won't even try to scrore.

To answer Footes earlier question, having a role player at the 1, 2 or 3 positions IS a problem for the reason that it shifts the scoring burden upon the shoulders of the other 4 players. Now, when the other 4 players are willing and up to the task, then a good (not great) college team can get away with having such a role player. Unlike Dwayne Polk whom opponents did not even bother trying to guard and whom did not add other great skills, KC earns his keep by keeping the other teams honest with points (occasional outsite made 3 pointer and a few drives/layups -- 10 ppg) and usually makes good passes with few turnovers. Our problem last year, and this year, is we have too many of these types on the floor at the same time. KC would be a fine complement to KL but when KC and CS are paired together, the results are not pretty. Then, when you add PE or one of the Freshman point guards to the mix, we now have 3 guards who cannot/won't shoot. The end result is that our team must rely upon our Freshman. Is KC a bad athlete? Absolutely not, but at the same time, most 6'4" guards who play 30 minutes per game are among the best athletes, shooters and overall players on the floor. KC is not.

Last year, when KC was only a Soph, I cut him some slack b/c of his youth and b/c of the great leaps in development he made from his Freshman year. This year, KC again has made some big strides but just is not ready/able to be the "go to" guy. For a late addition to the RM's first year recruiting class, KC is a fine player. To ask him to take over the team in the absence of RM and KM is not realistic or fair. At the same time, his playing "hot potato" with the ball and dumping it off to Freshmen with 5 or less on the shot clock also is not fair. We need and deserve better. KC: take the shot. If you miss or fail, so be it.

Last year KC had only 22 attempts from the FT line in 30+ games. To me, that's an indication that a guy isn't mixing it up very much. This year, KC already has 22 attempts in roughly half a season. That's better, but it's still 6th on the team and he leads the group in minutes played. Most of us are hoping that KC will become more aggressive.

1)Ellis's regression

2)Remekun's regression,

-what was your expectation of Loe on the inside? i remember being told for the most part to expect a 6'11 3 point shooter with passing skills. i think he has made very nice strides inside especially when it comes to toughness

-did CR regress or have a huge positive blip in the cbi? although i guess that blip would show he is capable

As Backhand never fails to point out, I have been a big Cassity supporter. But lately, especially the last game, I was totally aggravated by his lack of aggresivess. The thing that I saw on Sunday against Temple was not the fact that he was not taking shots, but was the fact that he was missing wide open looks with all kinds of time to shoot. He should be burying those shots as a 2 guard.

Last year KC had only 22 attempts from the FT line in 30+ games. To me, that's an indication that a guy isn't mixing it up very much. This year, KC already has 22 attempts in roughly half a season. That's better, but it's still 6th on the team and he leads the group in minutes played. Most of us are hoping that KC will become more aggressive.

Exactly. KC is what he is. Most teams can win with a few role players such as KC. Frankly, some teams wins with players who produce even less than KC. And don't get me wrong, KC is not the reason for the poor season. For us, though, when our team has no Seniors, has lost its 2 best/most experienced players in KM and WR and when we no Sophs stepping up and Freshmen are doing the best they can, it is what is. Would sure be nice to turn to our remaining two (2) Juniors and ask them to carry the team but, frankly, KC and BC are just not up to the task.

• 2 weeks later...

Cassity is the most inconsistent player on this team. I really wish he would grow a set, especially in games when it counts. He frustrates me so much - almost to Husak levels.

He doesn't do anything unless the game is practically lost already.

Well, I wouldn't count tonight's game as a huge game, but it was a conference game on the road. Cassity led the team in scoring and assists, had just two turnovers, shot 50% from the field and 4-5 from the line, and played 36 minutes. Pretty good, and hopefully a start of something positive for Kyle.

Well, I wouldn't count tonight's game as a huge game, but it was a conference game on the road. Cassity led the team in scoring and assists, had just two turnovers, shot 50% from the field and 4-5 from the line, and played 36 minutes. Pretty good, and hopefully a start of something positive for Kyle.

I agree, Cassity getting to the line 5 times in a game is noteworthy (shouldn't be, but is). Someone mentioned before that they thought Cassity takes into account who he is playing/guarding way too much. I completely agree with that. My conclusion, for the time being, is that in his head, he knew it was Fordham he was playing, so then he was able to kick in to second gear. But I hope it is a turn for the better as well.

I hope you are right; however, yesterday's performance only strengthens my point. Look at his trend in production this year (if I had time I would graph it) and it is pretty apparent that his production is very up and down. Better than being down all the time obviously but you never know what you are going to get from him production-wise. I hope he stays consistently productive because we need it badly. I would like us to at least make the A10 tournament.