Willie Reed Conditionally re-admitted to SLU

Jumping to conclusions!! Willie has to maintain a certain GPA to participate in basketball. That rule goes for everyone. KM is a good student so was never an issue. If Willie was shaky on grades and broke some rules before this incident then this makes sense. He must prove himself as a student before playing baketball. He was suspended from Athletics...not expelled from Athletics. Since the release says he has been re-addmited I gotta assume he took the deal. If he turned them down I think they would have announced it. Give it a chance before throwing the ting in the toilet, daddy downer!

The problem is, with him having to wait until possibly Monday to register for classes, all of the basket weaving, History of TV, and bowling classes will be filled up and he will be stuck with real classes.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We must all remember that "the" incident and other incidents involving Willie Reed as a "student" at Saint Louis University as reviewed by the Conduct Committee have absolootely nothing too do with him being an "athlete", nothing. This statement reflects that and that only. Mitchell has been granted the right too re-enroll as a student without qualification after being expelled, Reed has been granted the right too re-enroll as a student with qualification (probation) after being expelled. These are going too be 2 completely different situations in the eyes of the NCAA, and they alone control whether a student (first) can be eligible for an athletic scholarship (second).

Now here is the next important development, listen up. The communication ball, up too now, has been entirely in the university's hands with a "shut up" too the athletic department. Now with both being granted permission too enroll as "students", it is up to AD Chris May too communicate what this means to Billiken fans as far as these 2 being "athletes" in the future (Reed is "suspended" from athletic competion for this semester) and their scholarships and how NCAA involvement will effect this situation. It is now time for AD May too speak up - will the university let him?

so it goes.

You do raise a good point, but I am the eternal optimist. I may be wrong, but I always have believed that Willie is an intelligent kid. He realizes that this is his best shot to make good; if he fails here he will always be damaged goods. If on the other hand he comes through this ringer with his game and his dignity intact it is the feel good story of the year. He is a guy who can go from borderline NBA to playing in Bolivia for his weight in goats. It's all up to him at this point. He knows he cannot not take the deal and seem like a petulant kid. He must make good here.

agree

And the way I see it even terrible students (not saying WR is one) can bust their ass for 4 months and do well.

And even terrible people (not saying WR is one) can keep thier nose clean for 4 months.

So goals have been set, he will work hard this semester to meet those goals and be back next october.

What he does once the suspension is removed is the bigger question.

Its easy to be good and do well when you are being monitored the way he will be. Its completely different doing those things when you have more freedom.

We must all remember that "the" incident and other incidents involving Willie Reed as a "student" at Saint Louis University as reviewed by the Conduct Committee have absolootely nothing too do with him being an "athlete", nothing. This statement reflects that and that only. Mitchell has been granted the right too re-enroll as a student without qualification after being expelled, Reed has been granted the right too re-enroll as a student with qualification (probation) after being expelled. These are going too be 2 completely different situations in the eyes of the NCAA, and they alone control whether a student (first) can be eligible for an athletic scholarship (second).

Now here is the next important development, listen up. The communication ball, up too now, has been entirely in the university's hands with a "shut up" too the athletic department. Now with both being granted permission too enroll as "students", it is up to AD Chris May too communicate what this means to Billiken fans as far as these 2 being "athletes" in the future (Reed is "suspended" from athletic competion for this semester) and their scholarships and how NCAA involvement will effect this situation. It is now time for AD May too speak up - will the university let him?

so it goes.

What's up with the above. Is there a "too" limit or something?

Put me down in the column of those OK with the compromise decision. It is not the best thing for the basketball program but it might be the best thing for Willie and his growth as a person. The ball is now in Willie's court.

WR Senior on 550 right now

Just confirmed that WR is planning on re-enrolling and legal action will not be coming from them.

Great news. Go to work Willie.

WR Sr just said that the letter of apology was removed from the requirements.

Sr also said that Jr had some issues that he needs to take care of that he cannot go into right now, though he would be academically eligible right now.

Will be able to live on campus. Willie Jr. has matured greatly in the last few months.

Sr also said that he thinks that it was great that the police report was released, as that allowed people to find out what really happened that night.

Plan is to red-shirt this year, concentrate on the academics and be ready to play next season. Can't work out with the team, but thinks Willie Jr will be able to work out on his own and with a trainer.

Great news. Go to work Willie.

Senior said they will be allowed to live on campus. Will have to work-out by himself during the suspension but he probably would have redshirted anyway. He was complimentary to RM and just seemed to be in good spirits. The Reeds are definitely happy with this outcome.

I'm glad SR is being positive.

We need some more information in this instance. Is he on scholarship? Can he practice? That's what I want to know. If he is on scholarship and not allowed the practice that would seem strange to me as it is really detrimental to the team. But we know they don't really care about that.

I'm glad SR is being positive.

We need some more information in this instance. Is he on scholarship? Can he practice? That's what I want to know. If he is on scholarship and not allowed the practice that would seem strange to me as it is really detrimental to the team. But we know they don't really care about that.

Maracek did not ask specifically if he was on scholarship but WR sr was in way to good of spirits to now owe $20k to the school for a semester of tuition and room/board. All signs point to him being on scholly.

He can't practice.

I don't think its strange for someone to be on scholarship but temporalily suspended from team activities. And the school clearly doesn't care about taking actions that are detrimental to the team. That has been obvious from the beginning.

This all sounds like the most positive way to resolve this issue (and the myriad other issues I've heard regarding WR over the past couple years). If he can stick to the goals set for him, I look forward to him being not only a productive post presence but also a productive member of society (because this incident has surely knocked his NBA status down a few pegs, fair or no). For all the flak SLU's admin have taken from this whole thing, I think that this is truly the best way to handle this situation for both of the critical members involved. Looking forward to an excellent 2011-2012 season.

This all sounds like the most positive way to resolve this issue (and the myriad other issues I've heard regarding WR over the past couple years). If he can stick to the goals set for him, I look forward to him being not only a productive post presence but also a productive member of society (because this incident has surely knocked his NBA status down a few pegs, fair or no). For all the flak SLU's admin have taken from this whole thing, I think that this is truly the best way to handle this situation for both of the critical members involved. Looking forward to an excellent 2011-2012 season.

Agree completely. SLU finally handled something to do with this whole mess the right way. Even if one disagrees with the decision to suspend Willie from the athletic program for the rest of the school year, one can understand the reason behind what the university did and see that Willie has the opportunity for a fresh start if he chooses to apply himself and stay in control. I really do hope Willie comes out of this difficult time a much better individual and works his ass off in the gym 2nd semester so he is a beast on the court next season.

Yeah I think Sr was in to good of spirits tonight I don't know if it was because his son was readmitted or I think Maracek said he just got back from date night with his wife or something. If he has to fork over $20k he might have came across as an a**. But to my knowledge WR is on scholarship still but he is not allowed to workout with the team. He has to workout on his own and prove to RM that he is a student first. After that he should be reinstated to the basketball team.

Yeah I think Sr was in to good of spirits tonight I don't know if it was because his son was readmitted or I think Maracek said he just got back from date night with his wife or something. If he has to fork over $20k he might have came across as an a**. But to my knowledge WR is on scholarship still but he is not allowed to workout with the team. He has to workout on his own and prove to RM that he is a student first. After that he should be reinstated to the basketball team.

This is a very politically correct way for the school to handle willies situation. Suspended from the athletic program or not, RM will push willie academically and make sure that part of the deal is satisfied. Bet on that. Remember the wording handed down on the conditions follow a statement issued today by the young ladies atty. Both were going to probably redshirt anyway thus the suspension really does not affect the outcome.

What I don't understand, regardless of how you feel about the sitution, Willie was 100% innocent. He never touched the girl so why is SLU punishing him further. SLU screwed up by suspending him in the first place. This isn't good he needs to be practicing. I have a feeling 10 years from now this will replace Greg Upchurch as far as all time SLU screw ups.

What I don't understand, regardless of how you feel about the sitution, Willie was 100% innocent. He never touched the girl so why is SLU punishing him further. SLU screwed up by suspending him in the first place. This isn't good he needs to be practicing. I have a feeling 10 years from now this will replace Greg Upchurch as far as all time SLU screw ups.

Willie's pretty much being punished for his past problems. What I have been told is that the school didn't want to bring him back, have him goof around and get into more trouble, play basketball for a semester, and then jet for the NBA. They didn't say that about the NBA but that's pretty much what I took from it. They were afraid he wouldn't change his ways. This way he has to improve other things before he will be able to step back on the court. If he gets good enough grades and keeps his nose clean, he will be ready to go for the summer.

As far as I understand he is still on a full scholarship.

I would like to rant as an alumnus:

I am not quite sure when SLU entered the ranks of the Ivy League, but I am utterly disgusted with the pompousness of this University. We are not Brown. We are not Dartmouth. We are not Wash U. Give me a ###### break.....Conditional re-enrollment. Any other university in the majority (90%) would welcome Willie back with open arms, a hug, and a big fat check as compensation for this fiasco. I am embarrassed to be an alum. I am a realist. I graduated in 4 years without fully attending a single class (<20% overall attendance), and that in itself is a joke (although I am proud that I have the ability to think for myself). To put out a press release with such condescending and self-righteous remarks makes me realize why I avoided the majority of my scholastic time at SLU to focus on the rest of my life. This is why you do not allow academics in business. Absolutely no conception of reality. And we wonder why our country is ######.