Rockhurst Game Thoughts

OBSERVATIONS:

Jodair Jett is very quick, has an incredible vertical, and is really improving his defense.

Loe can shoot the ball. Also, he may be the only one who knows what an offensive rebound is. Liked the one time he took it to the hole from the top of the key.

McCall is very quick, has decent handles.

Ellis - shooting just isn't falling, looks lethargic at times. We were commenting that he is the antithesis of Jett.

Cassity - may end up as our leading scorer this year. Getting very comfortable, plays smart, shot coming around, not afraid to take it to the rim. Nice dunk tonight.

Evans - may be our surprise recruit given relatively low initial expectations, needs to make more happen out there.

Remekun - started the game ("starting is for high school"), looked pretty good at times and then kind of faded. Wonder how he is going to fit in...?

Conklin - just doesn't seem to have any touch around the basket.

Defense was much improved tonight, albeit against much lesser competition.

We shot well, again, against lesser competition.

I cannot wait to see Barnett on the floor next year. He is full of energy on the bench, always cheering on his teammates. His shot looks really smooth in warmups.

I am really worried about Saturday night. Could be ugly.

Your probably right. I would just think they would start the best after a loss, no matter who they play.

In the words of a large man who usually wears all black (except when he is wearing sandals with socks), "Starting is for high school".

cory's best game by far this year. he showed energy. he was hustling for position at least 4 rebounds in the second half that others got were because of his great block out.

cassity is playing great.

ellis is playing horrible. hope those couple of threes at the end of the game helps him get back.

salicich is playing worse than ellis.

all the freshmen looked good imo. i think loe and mccall will be stars before they leave slu.

conklin is conklin. plays hard but also makes it look hard. my gosh missed two bunnies. but all in all is the perfect backup forward. come in knock some heads, get a few rebounds, then out. perfect. plus it appears he accepts his role. cant not like the kid.

I only have one observation

CASSIDUNK

Now I can die happy.

See you Saturday.

I just about pooped my pants when Kyle dunked that one. When he was on the break I thought "oh man this would be a great time to dunk," but I never thought Kyle would/could do it. FREAKING AWESOME.

jett and mccall are really starting to calm down i think. they are playing with more confidence and its really helping. i think mccall or ellis is gonna have to get hot during the georgia game.

I think the whole damn team is gonna have to get hot during the Georgia game.

I have a feeling its going to be pretty ugly.

;)cory's best game by far this year. he showed energy. he was hustling for position at least 4 rebounds in the second half that others got were because of his great block out.

ellis is playing horrible. hope those couple of threes at the end of the game helps him get back.

all the freshmen looked good imo. i think loe and mccall will be stars before they leave slu.

conklin is conklin. plays hard but also makes it look hard. my gosh missed two bunnies. but all in all is the perfect backup forward. come in knock some heads, get a few rebounds, then out. perfect. plus it appears he accepts his role. cant not like the kid.

Cory's best game so far this year? This is the second game, roy. Maybe you should have typed "Cory's BETTER game so far this year"

cory's best game by far this year. he showed energy. he was hustling for position at least 4 rebounds in the second half that others got were because of his great block out.

+1

I hope CE finds his form quickly Sat night would be great;

CS Well i think he has played himself to the end of the bench and may see the revolving door season end.

KC Has stood up to be counted and has become a good leader .

CR Has started to get back were he left of last season (baby steps)

The Freshman all look like they will contribute well this season ,Still early days

-KC had a great game again on both ends of the court. The best player on the team right now.

-RL looked very good tonight with his shot, rebounding and taking the ball to the basket. He will not get those same rebounds against D1 competition. He is going to get better every game. Still reminds me a lot of how WR got manhandled his freshman season.

-JJ looked good, I like his toughness and aggressiveness. Only him and KC seem to create things on offense. Seemed to step it up a little on D but it wasn't D1.

-MM was extremely quick, I'd like to see him take it to the basket a little more.

-CS was disappointing except for that block he had in the second half.

-PE showed why he is going to get less than 2 minutes per game here on out.

-DE had a good game overall, he had nice moves with his back to the basket and seemed to play very smooth. He plays tough without looking like he's giving much effort. I hope he gets more time Saturday than he did Friday.

-CE looked aggressive at times on the boards and not so much other times. I was very happy that he hit those couple 3pointers at the end. He will turn it on soon.

-BC had no touch inside on offense. Loved his physical play/toughness inside, just hope he can do the same against better teams.

-CR stepped up his game tonight. Even though he looked rough with his inside moves he was more aggressive and continued his good defensive play. If he adds aggressiveness/toughness to his game it will benefit the team.

I'd like to see Cassity, Jett, Loe, Remekun, Ellis start Saturday's game.

CS will be fine; guard position looks crowded vs Rochurst; against Georgia and Duke we are going to need CS. If he turns it up two notches Ellis may get invigorated. Right now CS is conceding the minutes to Cody and at least CE looks healthier

CS will be fine; guard position looks crowded vs Rochurst; against Georgia and Duke we are going to need CS. If he turns it up two notches Ellis may get invigorated. Right now CS is conceding the minutes to Cody and at least CE looks healthier

When was the last time CS showed he will be "fine"?

As long as CE and JJ keep getting beaten off the dribble consistently, CS will play. Get used to that.

I'm not so sure. DE played 20 minutes tonight and CS only 13 (with -0- points). DE can play the 3, which is where CS is getting his minutes. I'd expect that trend to continue. Christian doesn't play good enough defense to get minutes unless he scores. As we get deeper into the season and the bench shortens, CS may find himself down to 5 minutes in the first half (unless someone gets in foul trouble). The way off the bench for Christian is to find his 3 point shot and to play smart basketball. He's 0-4 from beyond the arch to start the season. Small sample size but does not engender confidence. Loved his block from weak side help tonight.

I'm concerned about CE...I know it's early, and I know he's had some offseason problems with mono/accidents/whatever, but he really needs to get it going...

7-20 From the floor, and

3-12 from 3 to start the year (and he hit his 2 tonight within the last 45 seconds of the game when he was wide open)

He also looks a little lost on Defense...

I have no doubt that he will turn it around...and Saturday would be the perfect time to start...

Loe - Showed some fire and a little more confidence with the ball. That got me excited about him. We know the skill is there...it is only a matter of time.

MM - Going to be a player. His quickness has me less concerned about his defense. He will be able to recover on D with his quickness...he will pick it up.

JJ - Wow..EXPLOSIVE. Can't wait to see what he is like in the years to come. Spend all day and all night in the gym in the offseason working on your shot, and look out. Feel the same way about his D as I do with MM. He is quick enough that he will learn to play D the Majerus way and I think he will be a solid defender soon enough.

CE - He will be fine.

KC - Loving it. I want to see him show this type of leadership when we go on the road. That is where he is really going to have to show that he is the leader of this team...and I think he will.

DE - Nice touch..good inside moves...wish he was 3 inches taller but I'll take it. Going to be a solid contributor. Lot of upside with him I think.

PE - He's in good shape..that's all I have to say.

CS - Hoping he finds his shot. Had a couple nice stops on D tonight.

CR - I want to see more...still not convinced. Needs to play with more fire to be a contributor. I'm hoping the skill is there but boy he is going to be undersized against solid D1 teams. Also...lose the 'T' underneath the jersey.

The Aussies are not cutting it. Playing uninspired ball at both ends of the floor. Salecich is lost on both ends. Useless on offense right now. Cody has showed no heart in the early going. He is supposed to be the man on this team, he's deferring to freshman. His defense is atrocious. We need way more effort from these two. I thought CE and CS would step up their games with KM and WR out but they've played worse.

Evans continues to impress. He had a couple short bursts in the game where he dominated at both ends. Good in & out. He's doing all he can to get more playing time. In the 2nd half Guy started getting his name right, I think it threw him off a little.

Cassity continues to improve. He has developed a little bit of a scorers mentality. Just really smooth on the ball. Stellar defense. I hope to see more dunks from him, maybe one in traffic.

Conklin is what he is. We are forced to give him more minutes, he's a good backup forward playing starters minutes.

Remuken played a little better. Loved his blockouts. He was pushing his man out to halfcourt.

Loe played his best game so far. Needs to watch some Rodman rebounding tapes. He's not strong enough to bring down boards clean so he's playing with the ball until he can grab it, he's got to tip it out of reach of the other players, he's taller than everyone. Rodman was the king of getting tip rebounds. Good stroke from outside and worked hard in the post.

McCall and Jett both improved their defense. Loved it when they were both on the court. We played much faster. Jett takes it to the rim with abandon.

I enjoy Jett and McCall on the floor together. Loe didnt play like a school girl down low, but it was against an undersized team. Has got to work on stupid fouls 30 ft from the basket. Still dont get the love affair with dwight evans on this board. he plays great against undersized teams...still dont believe it will last when we play real teams...KC figured out early he could get to the basket instead of 25 min into the game..CS is playing like betty white. Cody bear ellis is just pooping on the pre-season hype..PE does not look comfortable out there..CR still looks fly..Conklin played like a Conklin.

Any number of times last night it appeared to me that Jett is largely lost in the famous Majerus offense. Saw both players and coaches pointing to his proper spot at least 4-5 times. On the flip side, I bet we're going to see a V-STOL Jett dunk sometime real soon (unless he had one against APSU -- I wasn't at that game). Best vertical leap on the squad right now?