Scholarships and Recruiting

bk18

We currently have 10 scholarship players.

We have KM and 1 recruit (John Manning) to join us for next year (and part of this year for KM).

That's 12 scholarships out of 13 for the 2011-2012 year.

---> WHY NOT ADD 1 more? Is there any word of another recruit from that class?

We will lose 2 scholarship players due to graduation (KC and BC) after next year.

So assuming we sign Wally Ellenson, we would have 11 scholarship players. We could sign 2 more in this class, but it would make more sense to sign one for next year and only 2 for 2012-13.

---> Does anyone know of anyone we are looking at besides Wally next year? (that is reasonable, Ben McLemore doesn't count)

---> What position do you think we should address? SG? PF?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have KM and 1 recruit (John Manning) to join us for next year (and part of this year for KM).

We will lose 2 scholarship players due to graduation (KC and BC) after next year.

So assuming we sign Wally Ellenson, we would have 11 scholarship players. We could sign 2 more in this class, but it would make more sense to sign one for next year and only 2 for 2012-13.

---> Does anyone know of anyone we are looking at besides Wally next year? (that is reasonable, Ben McLemore doesn't count)

Not sure I would want Wally Ellenson. We need a Big man a scorer and a point guard in the next couple of years. Ellenson doesn't really fit any of those holes. I would much rather add Jordon Granger or Philip Nolan or Patrick Ingram.

Also, Otto Porter in 2011 would be the biggest get.

Not sure I would want Wally Ellenson. We need a Big man a scorer and a point guard in the next couple of years. Ellenson doesn't really fit any of those holes. I would much rather add Jordon Granger or Philip Nolan or Patrick Ingram.

When does the fall signing period begin?

mhg

If KM returns, we will be loaded at guard. Next year, we will have DE, CS, Barnett and some Cody as options at the 3, so we figure to be strong there as well. With the last available scholarship this year, I would take a run at the best 4/5 from a prep school that we could find. As we have seen with Jett, the prep school kids are a little older and stronger than a true freshmen. Maybe the signing of Jett also signals that we have made some recruiting inroads in the prep school ranks. I suspect Manning might be more of a developmental player who might not be physically ready to contribute much as a freshman (hope I am wrong about that). We need a big who can come in and is ready to rebound and block shots.

Wow, you just reminded that going into what would've been their junior year, you only have BC and KC still remaining from the 7 man recruiting class of 2008. Cotto, Thompson, John, Reed, Mitchell, all no longer with the program. And now that I think about it, from last years class Smith, Jordan, and Reid already gone. 8 signees departed in 2 years. Majerus seems to be able to keep plugging the gaps though to his credit because that kind of turnover can kill some programs while others, including many big-time programs understand its a part of the business and get past it.

I don't think we need to look at a PG next 2 years. We will have KM, MM, and JJ.

Has Otto Porter made a visit?

Keep your ears open. Not the fall signing period.

What does this mean? Mid-season transfer?

Are there any scenario's in which a player can come to us mid-season and play immediatly? JUCO transfers? Foreign players? I know Ellis did that last year, but he was already committed well before January.

If KM returns, we will be loaded at guard. Next year, we will have DE, CS, Barnett and some Cody as options at the 3, so we figure to be strong there as well. With the last available scholarship this year, I would take a run at the best 4/5 from a prep school that we could find. As we have seen with Jett, the prep school kids are a little older and stronger than a true freshmen. Maybe the signing of Jett also signals that we have made some recruiting inroads in the prep school ranks. I suspect Manning might be more of a developmental player who might not be physically ready to contribute much as a freshman (hope I am wrong about that). We need a big who can come in and is ready to rebound and block shots.

I agree. We need a big, strong, tall banger who can play center or forward.

Seems like every time we he about KM's intent to return its less certain. In the beginning he was going to do everything he could to come back. Now he's only leaning that way. It doesn't sound good.

He'll be back...I guarantee it...

Sincerely,

George Zimmer, Men's Warehouse...

RM is planning on signing another player this year - an Aussie.

I know what I read and what I have read has been gradually getting less certain.

KM-just have the Dude slap Backhand Friday.

I agree with you...I am hopeful he comes back but until I see him on the court I am nervous it will happen.