What now Mizzery?

slu72

From all accounts it looks like Neb to the B10 and the B10 saying we'll stick with that... for now. The tipping point will come if the six other B12 schools mentioned jump to the P10. That effectively kills the B12 and Mizzery's likely stuck in limbo along w/ KU, KSU, Baylor, and ISU. They may get locked out of the B10 because Delaney will likely try to snare ND, and 3 more from the Beast to match the P16. However, if the B10 is content w/ 12, then the Beast's likely to stay intact... for the near future. It's going to be a fun summer for college sports.

Missouri is one situation but I've got to ask "why is no one courting Kansas?" Kansas has a long, storied basketball tradition and tons of cred in that area. They do have a relatively pathetic football team. The fact that Kansas is not mentioned anywhere ---- to the Big Ten, the Pac-10, the Southeast --- is amazing but also speaks volumes ---- namely that basketball appears to be irrelevant.

Looks like 16-team leagues are the next evolution of the bg, bad BCS. Pac-10, Big Ten, ACC and Southeastern is what I see. Two teams battle it our for each division, division winners in a big playoff for league crown, and all four league champs move on to the National Semi-finals and then the championship. That's doable.

Of course, the basketball end is all cheapened. I can see these four mega-conference then trying to throw an exclusive party for themselves in basketball. Like football -- the BCS and then Division 1AA or whatever its called. The Bills are dogs in that race as well but so too would be schools like Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, and even Notre Dame if they don't give up the indy ghost and come to the table. Question for schools like Villanova, Georgetown, much like Uconn --- do you upgrade the football program to stay inthe big boys club?

Missouri might be screwed in all this but Kansas is even more intriguing to me.

Missouri is one situation but I've got to ask "why is no one courting Kansas?" Kansas has a long, storied basketball tradition and tons of cred in that area. They do have a relatively pathetic football team. The fact that Kansas is not mentioned anywhere ---- to the Big Ten, the Pac-10, the Southeast --- is amazing but also speaks volumes ---- namely that basketball appears to be irrelevant.

Looks like 16-team leagues are the next evolution of the bg, bad BCS. Pac-10, Big Ten, ACC and Southeastern is what I see. Two teams battle it our for each division, division winners in a big playoff for league crown, and all four league champs move on to the National Semi-finals and then the championship. That's doable.

Of course, the basketball end is all cheapened. I can see these four mega-conference then trying to throw an exclusive party for themselves in basketball. Like football -- the BCS and then Division 1AA or whatever its called. The Bills are dogs in that race as well but so too would be schools like Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, and even Notre Dame if they don't give up the indy ghost and come to the table. Question for schools like Villanova, Georgetown, much like Uconn --- do you upgrade the football program to stay inthe big boys club?

Missouri might be screwed in all this but Kansas is even more intriguing to me.

It is great the Mi$zou seems to have blown it. I really never understood the Big11's interest in them. Why not go for KU, which gives you a firmer grasp on the KC market, much better academics, and a combo of Illinois and KU would have some of the saint louis market.

So if ND joins, Mizzou has to beat out 3 BE teams for sure, and maybe a fellow ex-B12 team. No chance. Their best hope is that ND remains independent...

Us on the other hand... who knows.

It is great the Mi$zou seems to have blown it. I really never understood the Big11's interest in them. Why not go for KU, which gives you a firmer grasp on the KC market, much better academics, and a combo of Illinois and KU would have some of the saint louis market.

So if ND joins, Mizzou has to beat out 3 BE teams for sure, and maybe a fellow ex-B12 team. No chance. Their best hope is that ND remains independent...

Us on the other hand... who knows.

Mizzou is a more attractive program to the Big 10 than Kansas (better facilities, better teams outside of basketball, better academics, and in a better market being between KC and STL). It is not hard at all to understand why the Big 10 has interest in Mizzou.

From all accounts it looks like Neb to the B10 and the B10 saying we'll stick with that... for now. The tipping point will come if the six other B12 schools mentioned jump to the P10. That effectively kills the B12 and Mizzery's likely stuck in limbo along w/ KU, KSU, Baylor, and ISU. They may get locked out of the B10 because Delaney will likely try to snare ND, and 3 more from the Beast to match the P16. However, if the B10 is content w/ 12, then the Beast's likely to stay intact... for the near future. It's going to be a fun summer for college sports.

I think the Big 10 is done for now. They wanted a championship football game, and they'll be able to do that now. They'd obviously accept ND if that time ever arises, but they have no pressure to add anyone else. IMO the PAC 10 now needs to decide if they really need 16 teams when 12 would do.

Texas is holding the cards for the Big 12. If they want to keep that conference alive they can decide to stay. TCU is a quick replacement for Nebraska

I think the Big 10 is done for now. They wanted a championship football game, and they'll be able to do that now. They'd oviously accept ND if that time ever arises, but they have no pressure to add anyone else. IMO the PAC 10 now needs to decide if they really need 16 teams when 12 would do.

Texas is holding the cards for the Big 12. If they want to keep that confernece alive they can decide to stay. TCU is a quick replacement for Nebraska

You are right, the Big 10 wanted the championship football game and they were able to add one of the winningest programs in the history of college football. Now we are all waiting to see what the Pac 10 decides to do. If they move to 16, things are going to get really interesting.

You are right, the Big 10 wanted the championship football game and they were able to add one of the winningest programs in the history of college football. Now we are all waiting to see what the Pac 10 decides to do. If they move to 16, things are going to get really interesting.

I'm curious to see how Nebraska will do. They seem to be on the upswing after a few down years. Penn State probably made the right decision in joining the Big 10, but they're not quite as successful as they were in the 10-12 years before the move. In 17 years they've won the Big 10 outright once and have tied for first two other times. However, I always thought they played a pretty soft schedule overall before joining the Big 10.

Mizzou is a more attractive program to the Big 10 than Kansas (better facilities, better teams outside of basketball, better academics, and in a better market being between KC and STL). It is not hard at all to understand why the Big 10 has interest in Mizzou.

Maybe not better teams outside football. Mizzou has the absolute least total Big 12 conference championships since it's inception at 6. I know this isn't the end all to sports success, but I'd say it's a good indication of how ridiculously bad Mizzou has been. KS is 8th with 22.

Maybe not better teams outside football. Mizzou has the absolute least total Big 12 conference championships since it's inception at 6. I know this isn't the end all to sports success, but I'd say it's a good indication of how ridiculously bad Mizzou has been. KS is 8th with 22.

If your only measurement for a team being successful is a conference championship.

If your only measurement for a team being successful is a conference championship.

Did you read the post? Here is what I said.

Mizzou has the absolute least total Big 12 conference championships since it's inception at 6. I know this isn't the end all to sports success, but I'd say it's a good indication of how ridiculously bad Mizzou has been.

I would say that statement says it isn't the only way to measure success. However, being in last place in conference championships does make a pretty strong statement.

Lets review the numbers again so we get another laugh about how sad they really are.

UT 106

Neb 68

A&M 44

OU 38

BU 36

OSU 35

CU 27

KU 22

ISU 11

TT 10

KSU 7

MU 6

Why can't Mizzou keep up with KU, CU, OSU, hell, even Baylor? Nebraska has over 11 times as many conference championships as Mizzou. 11 freaking times. That isn't 11 more, it's over 11 times more.

I think the Big 10 is done for now. They wanted a championship football game, and they'll be able to do that now. They'd obviously accept ND if that time ever arises, but they have no pressure to add anyone else. IMO the PAC 10 now needs to decide if they really need 16 teams when 12 would do.

Texas is holding the cards for the Big 12. If they want to keep that conference alive they can decide to stay. TCU is a quick replacement for Nebraska

It will be impossible for the PAC 10 to get TX and OU only, which are the 2 they really want, because TX has to bring his ugly sisters to the party, A&M and Tech, and OU has to bring his too, OSU. What happens if the PAC 10 makes the move to 16 is the question for the other biggies? Do they go on a feeding frenzy as well? Again, ND holds the key in this whole shebang and there's some speculation, probably true, that the B10 is trying to force/or trick ND into giving up their FB independence. If ND were to say yes to the B10 that's 13 schools, they'd have to cherry pick three more most likely from the Beast to get deeper into the East Coast markets, then all hell will break loose. The ACC and SEC will start picking at the carcasses of the Beast and the former B12. Is it conceivable that KU and KSU go to the SEC along w/ Louisville and WVU? Anythings possible these days. Heck, I heard one report today that had VTech, Miami, and FSU going to the SEC? Not likely since FL would pitch a fit. This is gonna be a game of musical chairs before all is said and done.

It will be impossible for the PAC 10 to get TX and OU only, which are the 2 they really want, because TX has to bring his ugly sisters to the party, A&M and Tech, and OU has to bring his too, OSU. What happens if the PAC 10 makes the move to 16 is the question for the other biggies? Do they go on a feeding frenzy as well? Again, ND holds the key in this whole shebang and there's some speculation, probably true, that the B10 is trying to force/or trick ND into giving up their FB independence. If ND were to say yes to the B10 that's 13 schools, they'd have to cherry pick three more most likely from the Beast to get deeper into the East Coast markets, then all hell will break loose. The ACC and SEC will start picking at the carcasses of the Beast and the former B12. Is it conceivable that KU and KSU go to the SEC along w/ Louisville and WVU? Anythings possible these days. Heck, I heard one report today that had VTech, Miami, and FSU going to the SEC? Not likely since FL would pitch a fit. This is gonna be a game of musical chairs before all is said and done.

Speaking of Missouri, and misery, it doesnt look like Tony Mitchell's summer is looking up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballn...g-more-scrutiny

I think that it's unlikely that the B10 will stay at 12. With the Pac-10 moving to 16 and likely getting UT and OU, that puts pressure on the SEC to perhaps add 4 teams and with two 16-team leagues it would seem to be a foregone conclusion that the B10 adds another 4 and the BE and ACC merge or the ACC swindles them again to make a 4th 16 team league, as everyone thought originally. I think the schools that really need to be worried are K-state and Iowa State but at the same time I'm still nervously waiting to see how it all plays out.

I think that it's unlikely that the B10 will stay at 12. With the Pac-10 moving to 16 and likely getting UT and OU, that puts pressure on the SEC to perhaps add 4 teams and with two 16-team leagues it would seem to be a foregone conclusion that the B10 adds another 4 and the BE and ACC merge or the ACC swindles them again to make a 4th 16 team league, as everyone thought originally. I think the schools that really need to be worried are K-state and Iowa State but at the same time I'm still nervously waiting to see how it all plays out.

If your scenario plays out, the SEC and would almost have to take teams form the ACC and the Big 10 would be taking teams from the Big East. A combined football ACC/Big East leftovers conference would probably be sitting around 12 teams. That would leave the remaining Big 12 teams the choice of either joining that group or the Mountain West to form another 16 team conference. If the Big 12 teams go West, the ACC probably raids CUSA.

Just my speculation.

If your scenario plays out, the SEC and would almost have to take teams form the ACC and the Big 10 would be taking teams from the Big East. A combined football ACC/Big East leftovers conference would probably be sitting around 12 teams. That would leave the remaining Big 12 teams the choice of either joining that group or the Mountain West to form another 16 team conference. If the Big 12 teams go West, the ACC probably raids CUSA.

Just my speculation.

Talk down here in Dixieland is the SEC may just stand pat. Then again they're rumored to be talking to T A&M. However, if the Beast gets raided by the B10, Syracuse and Rutgers being the two most frequently mentioned, then there may be a merger between ACC and some of the Beast FB schools, CT, Pitt, UL, Cincy, SF, WVU. That would create a monster hoops conference even w/o the BB only Beasts. This is the best case scenario for SLU as this would probably result in the formation of our long hoped for Papal Conference. Then it would be a matter of whether or not we're included/picked to sign up. Fr. B better be working the phones.

Talk down here in Dixieland is the SEC may just stand pat. Then again they're rumored to be talking to T A&M. However, if the Beast gets raided by the B10, Syracuse and Rutgers being the two most frequently mentioned, then there may be a merger between ACC and some of the Beast FB schools, CT, Pitt, UL, Cincy, SF, WVU. That would create a monster hoops conference even w/o the BB only Beasts. This is the best case scenario for SLU as this would probably result in the formation of our long hoped for Papal Conference. Then it would be a matter of whether or not we're included/picked to sign up. Fr. B better be working the phones.

exactly. this is what we should hope for. that is the angle we need to have occur. 4 sixteen team conferences may bring marquette and depaul around and bring georgetown and villanova with them.

exactly. this is what we should hope for. that is the angle we need to have occur. 4 sixteen team conferences may bring marquette and depaul around and bring georgetown and villanova with them.

Agreed. Until the Big East gets raided by the Big 10 (and it probably takes more than one team to make it happen) this will be a non-issue for SLU and the A-10 in general.

The one thing that I am amazed at in this whole process is just how helpless teams can end up. Two weeks ago MU was seemingly a lock for the Big 10 and every writer from NY to California had penciled them in for the move. The Big 10 was likely leading them to believe an invite was forthcoming so MU decided to turn their backs on the Big 12. Now the Big 10 has realized they can use MU as a pawn to get Nebraska and maybe Texas/ND/Big East teams to hurry up and accept an offer. Simply put, they are being played by the Big 10 despite doing everything that was asked of them. It may still work out for them, but it may not. The KU/K-States/iowa St.s are even more helples to everything going down.

What that means for SLU when and if a shakeup occurs in our landscape is that no matter what we try to do, either publicly or back room, it is going to take a fair amount of luck for this to end up well and us not end up in an even further watered down A-10 or the MVC.

Word is that Coach Kelly wants no part of the Big Ten, that is from a friend whose brother is a graduate assistant there. That still gives Mizzou hope for the Big 10, but I heard on ESPN News last night from a guy who writes for a website called orangeblood or something similiar that the other Big 12 AD's are pissed at Mizzou and if the conference would some how stay intact then the AD's might vote on kicking Mizzou out of the conference. Things are going to be really good or really bad for Mizzou but it is impossible to tell now. Right now everything is just speculation so just like the sexual assualt case at SLU everyone should wait and see what the outcome is

Word is that Coach Kelly wants no part of the Big Ten, that is from a friend whose brother is a graduate assistant there. That still gives Mizzou hope for the Big 10, but I heard on ESPN News last night from a guy who writes for a website called orangeblood or something similiar that the other Big 12 AD's are pissed at Mizzou and if the conference would some how stay intact then the AD's might vote on kicking Mizzou out of the conference. Things are going to be really good or really bad for Mizzou but it is impossible to tell now. Right now everything is just speculation so just like the sexual assualt case at SLU everyone should wait and see what the outcome is

No need to bring up the case against SLU.

I doubt if Kelly has any say in any of this.

Mizzou is not big-time enought to be safe.

They could wind up screwed, in a non-BCS conference, in this musical chairs clusterschtook.

I don't think there's any way that Mizzou doesn't end up in a BCS conference. Even if they end up in the Mountain West along with ksu, ku, and iowa state I think it'd be hard for a conference like that not to qualify to be a bcs conference.

No need to bring up the case against SLU.

Simply stating two cases that are very similar in that the public has no idea that is going on and everyone is guessing. On this board it is mostly Anti-Mizzou talk saying they will be in a bad conference so I am simply saying wait until it is all settled like that 'thing' at SLU that no one could speculate on.

And by the way I just graduated from SLU so dont call me a Mizzou backer/SLU hater but just do not like hypocrites

Simply stating two cases that are very similar in that the public has no idea that is going on and everyone is guessing. On this board it is mostly Anti-Mizzou talk saying they will be in a bad conference so I am simply saying wait until it is all settled like that 'thing' at SLU that no one could speculate on.

And by the way I just graduated from SLU so dont call me a Mizzou backer/SLU hater but just do not like hypocrites

The two are not even close to being related.

Good to hear, congrats on your graduation.