Paul E

BillsWin

At the beginning of the season I thought the coaches said that Paul would be able to play late in the year. Well here we are almost in April and still no Paul. With our short bench, I would think he would be suiting up if at all possible. Anyone have a status on his knee?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the beginning of the season I thought the coaches said that Paul would be able to play late in the year. Well here we are almost in April and still no Paul. With our short bench, I would think he would be suiting up if at all possible. Anyone have a status on his knee?

Did he take a medical redshirt? I have no clue.

I think it would be asking too much of somebody who hasn't played all year.

Medical redshirts when granted occur when injuries occur in the first 20% of a season. For example, in college basketball, medical redshirts aren't granted if you play in any games past the sixth. I'm not sure if that is extended to the 7th game if a team plays 35 or more games. Medical redshirts are applied for at the conclusion of a season.

So, Eckerle saves a season of eligibility by not playing at all. One second of playing time ends the opportunity for a redshirt season to be taken. A medical redshirt is a different animal altogether.

He doesn't need to take a medical redshirt since he never played. Last I heard something about it he was progressing nicely and would be able to play next year no problem.

He shouldn't be needed next season. If he plays it means the guards we have are not as good as we think they are.

Guest BillikenReport

He shouldn't be needed next season. If he plays it means the guards we have are not as good as we think they are.

I'm not sure how much Eckerle will play next season, but he's definitely needed. He was very much missed this season.

Eckerle has been a very strong leader for this team. He's done a lot of things behind the scenes to help this program, like talking with recruits when they visit campus, helping the younger guys on the team with whatever, etc. He's been Willie Reed's roommate all year, which I'm sure has had to help Willie.

If SLU has 14 guys competing for minutes next year, with Eckerle as the 14th man, who knows how much he'll see the floor. But he has been an important member of this team for three years already and will continue to be for as long as he sticks around.

I'm not sure how much Eckerle will play next season, but he's definitely needed. He was very much missed this season.

Eckerle has been a very strong leader for this team. He's done a lot of things behind the scenes to help this program, like talking with recruits when they visit campus, helping the younger guys on the team with whatever, etc. He's been Willie Reed's roommate all year, which I'm sure has had to help Willie.

If SLU has 14 guys competing for minutes next year, with Eckerle as the 14th man, who knows how much he'll see the floor. But he has been an important member of this team for three years already and will continue to be for as long as he sticks around.

Weird question, but I have always been curious which guys room with each other. Do you know Nate?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

What Paul contributes to this team doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

If Paul wasn't going to Med school I wouldn't be surprised to see him as Majerus' assistant coach at some point.

Medical redshirts when granted occur when injuries occur in the first 20% of a season. For example, in college basketball, medical redshirts aren't granted if you play in any games past the sixth. I'm not sure if that is extended to the 7th game if a team plays 35 or more games. Medical redshirts are applied for at the conclusion of a season.

So, Eckerle saves a season of eligibility by not playing at all. One second of playing time ends the opportunity for a redshirt season to be taken. A medical redshirt is a different animal altogether.

what's the point of him "saving" eligibility? he no longer has a scholarship.

Because he will have an academic scholarship, and maybe Roy, he still wants to play.

so he will pay for his room and board and books and a few thousand in tuition for three years our of his own pocket. eckerle is a program dream.

he deserves his athletic scholarship for at least two more years.

so he will pay for his room and board and books and a few thousand in tuition for three years our of his own pocket. eckerle is a program dream.

Why does he deserve it? He knew the deal coming in. I love the kid and him being able to practice next year will really help the team, but he knew the deal when Rickma brought him on board.

You make a good point Roy. Who do we kick off the team to give him a scholarship? :o

You make a good point Roy. Who do we kick off the team to give him a scholarship? :o

the question is why did we recruit over him in the first place? i am thrilled we are getting a couple of reputed great talents from chicago, but it makes me sick it is at the expense of a great kid that has done absolutely nothing to deserve such.

the only three things that should be grounds for giving up a scholarship are 1. not performing in the classroom, 2. not being a good citizen, and 3. being a determent to the team by attitude or lack of effort.

which of these three does paul fall under?

the question is why did we recruit over him in the first place? i am thrilled we are getting a couple of reputed great talents from chicago, but it makes me sick it is at the expense of a great kid that has done absolutely nothing to deserve such.

the only three things that should be grounds for giving up a scholarship are 1. not performing in the classroom, 2. not being a good citizen, and 3. being a determent to the team by attitude or lack of effort.

HE ###### KNEW THE SCORE COMING IN!!! He was going to play on an academic sholarship coming in!!!!! Rick had an extra scholarship for him at the time and let him use it. What part of all this aren't you understanding!!!??

Guest BillikenReport

Majerus mentioned after one of the home games late in the season that Eckerle offered to give up his scholarship to help the team bring in another player.

HE ###### KNEW THE SCORE COMING IN!!! He was going to play on an academic sholarship coming in!!!!! Rick had an extra scholarship for him at the time and let him use it. What part of all this aren't you understanding!!!??

And, he's already finished his undergraduate studies. He could start med school next year if he wanted.

And, he's already finished his undergraduate studies. He could start med school next year if he wanted.

and if i was paul i would. full time since it would now be on my nickel.

Guest BillikenReport

Don't get baited into Roy's crusade.

Roy is using Eckerle's situation to rehash old disagreements about Majerus and guys losing scholarships.

The Eckerle situation is completely different than the situations of Anthony Mitchell, Dustin Maguire, Adam Knollmeyer and Marcus Relphorde.

Roy is using Eckerle's situation to rehash old disagreements about Majerus and guys losing scholarships.

The Eckerle situation is completely different than the situations of Anthony Mitchell, Dustin Maguire, Adam Knollmeyer and Marcus Relphorde.

But it is just as bad. If Rick has his way, he'll be kicking someone else off the team this spring to bring in Loe or....

Nate,

Sodie didn't even offer Eckerle a scholarship, correct? Thanks to Majerus, Paul got three years of an athletic scholarship at SLU that he otherwise would not have gotten.