Eastern IL

Clock_Tower

Decided to start a thread (albeit a sarcastic one) about our mighty opponent, the Eastern IL Panthers, that we will be playing in a little more than 24 hours. Kind of surprised there isn't more interest and talk about yet another "local" team being purchased as filler for our schedule. Kind of quiet out there in Billiken Land.

For all of you who want to play every local team, here's your thread. Go to it!! :lol:

For all you Valley fans, bet you will get to the Chaveitz early to watch Taylor Jones who, of course, is the 6'2" guard from West Plaines and who transferred from Missouri State. Again, where's all the "local" interest?

To the 10 local SLU students who support Billiken basketball, enjoy the game sitting with your parents in the regular seats. We'll look forward to your presence at the Fordham game on January 20th in the student section. :rolleyes:

EIU is the alma mater of Tony Romo.

Mattoon, IL is the bagel capital of the world.

I once went there for a mock-trial competition as a SLU student (yes ladies I am that cool).

That's all I know.

I am pumped.

SLU by 14.

Isn't EIU in Charleston? I thought Mattoon was the next town over.

Yeah Charleston. I once had 4 hits in a game including a homer and a sac bunt....go figure. Hitters park for sure.

Bills by at least 12.

Looking into EIU a bit. I think they have some things going for them that could give the Bills trouble.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/custompages/mbb...10/teamcume.htm

1. It looks like they play all 13 scholarship players at least 7.2 mins per game. They have good depth and could give the depth-less Bills fits if they play physical and the game has a lot of fouls.

2. Their leading scorer is 6'1 guard Tyler Laser with 15.8 per game, but the rest of the scoring is pretty even. Eight other players average between 8.5 and 5 ppg. Kwamain can guard Laser, but as we saw last game our other guards need some work defensively.

3. It looks they have a few guys are might be the 6'4 slasher types who tend to give SLU trouble.

4. They are not very good from 3 which is the Bills strength on defense so the Bills shutting down their outside shooting won't matter much to them.

5. According to KenPom, they play mostly zone defense and we have seen zones give SLU fits in the past as they struggle to know down outside shots.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Eastern%20Illinois

On paper this looks like a team that could execute the UMKC game plan pretty well - spread the floor on offense to take Willie out of the lane and then beat the lesser defenders like Femi, Salechich, or Cassity with dribble drives (KC) or cuts (FJ). Then they play zone on defense and force the Bills to take outside shots.

Hopefully RickMa has the kids primed and ready to go after the break. This should be an easy win, but as I pointed out EIU has some things going for them. I'm looking for Willie to have a big game after the rough performance against UMKC.

Softball or baseball? :rolleyes:

Why did they have our power hitter laying down a bunt?!?!?!?

Good question, I hit 4th and it was the 1st inning. For some reason Bobby still liked to play "Whitey Ball" with our staff ERA in the 10s.

Looking into EIU a bit. I think they have some things going for them that could give the Bills trouble.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/custompages/mbb...10/teamcume.htm

1. It looks like they play all 13 scholarship players at least 7.2 mins per game. They have good depth and could give the depth-less Bills fits if they play physical and the game has a lot of fouls.

2. Their leading scorer is 6'1 guard Tyler Laser with 15.8 per game, but the rest of the scoring is pretty even. Eight other players average between 8.5 and 5 ppg. Kwamain can guard Laser, but as we saw last game our other guards need some work defensively.

3. It looks they have a few guys are might be the 6'4 slasher types who tend to give SLU trouble.

4. They are not very good from 3 which is the Bills strength on defense so the Bills shutting down their outside shooting won't matter much to them.

5. According to KenPom, they play mostly zone defense and we have seen zones give SLU fits in the past as they struggle to know down outside shots.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Eastern%20Illinois

On paper this looks like a team that could execute the UMKC game plan pretty well - spread the floor on offense to take Willie out of the lane and then beat the lesser defenders like Femi, Salechich, or Cassity with dribble drives (KC) or cuts (FJ). Then they play zone on defense and force the Bills to take outside shots.

Hopefully RickMa has the kids primed and ready to go after the break. This should be an easy win, but as I pointed out EIU has some things going for them. I'm looking for Willie to have a big game after the rough performance against UMKC.

EIU also doesn't turn the ball over much...something like 12 or 13 per game. They're also 5-1 on the road.

That said, SLU should win this game by double digits, especially at home.

they are more "local" or "regional" than the illini. by about 60 miles i think. in fact charleston, IL is probably closer than columbia, MO by a few miles. same with carbondale and definitely closer than springfield mo

EIU split with Belmont this year. With each winning on the others home court.

Very odd. Belmont them out in their own place and then they narrowly edge Belmont on the road. I'm not really sure what to make of it and I generally think looking at how two teams did against a common foe is not a good indicator of how they will do against each other (saying SLU will beat EIU b/c they beat Belmont and Belmont beat EIU is silly). However, if there are any Belmont or EIU followers lurking out there it would be interesting to hear if there is more to this story (a key player missing one of the games or some other special circumstance for one of the games).

As with the favored undergarment of much of Billiken fandom, depends:

Charleston: 141 miles

Springfield, MO: 215 miles

Carbondale: 107 miles

Bloomington-Normal: 171 miles

Columbia: 124 miles

Champaign-Urbana: 184 miles

Carbondale might only be 107 miles, but there's no easy way to get there. Isn't it right between Hooterville and Pixley?

I don't consider Eastern Illinois to be a local team.

Box

I agree Eastern shouldn't be considered local. The interesting thing is Eastern is 141 miles from St. Louis and SMS/MoSt is 215 miles from St. Louis but their fans think SMS should be considered local and should receive more coverage from the local media. Go figure.

Box

I agree Eastern shouldn't be considered local. The interesting thing is Eastern is 141 miles from St. Louis and SMS/MoSt is 215 miles from St. Louis but their fans think SMS should be considered local and should receive more coverage from the local media. Go figure.

what conference is EIU

in and who are the other conference opponents?

I doubt too many alums or students will be in for the game except my sister

She did get her degree in home economics there.

They were probably among the

last colleges to offer that degree.

Too bad the degree was a practical entry into the food manufacturing industry

and many others but sounded too sexist,

according to my sister

what conference is EIU

in and who are the other conference opponents?

I doubt too many alums or students will be in for the game except my sister

She did get her degree in home economics there.

They were probably among the

last colleges to offer that degree.

Too bad the degree was a practical entry into the food manufacturing industry

and many others but sounded too sexist,

according to my sister

OVC.

Here's some game analysis from the Charleston Times-Courier...Coach Miller's comments aren't exactly earth shattering:

"You see what they’re trying to do and they are really trying to do it."

"They are going to defend us and make us defend them as well."

Don't ignore youngest team in the nation

EASTERN ILLINOIS (7-4)

AT SAINT LOUIS (8-4)

Tip-off: about 8 p.m. today following 5:30 p.m. Bradley-Saint Louis women’s game at Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis

Radio: WEIU Hit Mix 88.9 FM

By BRIAN NIELSEN, Sports Editor

[email protected]

Saint Louis' sports information department research shows its men’s basketball team is the youngest in NCAA Division I.

With its only upperclassman junior Paul Eckerle out with a preseason knee injury leaving the Billikens with four juniors, a redshirt freshman and six freshman, who can argue?

Still, Eastern Illinois coach Mike Miller says these Baby Bills under former NCAA runner-up Utah coach Rick Majerus can provide lessons for the Panthers heading into today’s 8 p.m. non-conference game at Saint Louis.

“One of the things we talk about is to play to an identity,” Miller said. “They play to an identity as well as anyone we see. They’re tough. They’re disciplined. They keep themselves in a good position. They take care of the basketball. They execute well. You see what they’re trying to do and they are really trying to do it. I think it can help us a great deal playing them.”

Eastern can add to its good start that at 7-4 marks just the sixth time the Panthers have had that good of a record in its NCAA Division I history that began in 1981.

The Panthers can tune up for the rest of the Ohio Valley Conference season that resumes with a Saturday home game against Jacksonville State.

Plus, after beating NCAA tourney regular Belmont with a 63-60 revenge win on Dec. 19, the Panthers can put an even bigger feather in their hat playing this Atlantic-10 Conference team.

Even with hardly any guys old enough to vote, Saint Louis still is 8-4 limiting opponents to 58.5 points per game and .385 field-goal shooting with a physical defense.

“I’m not sure we’ve played anybody like their team,” Miller said. “It’s going to make us figure some things out. They are going to defend us and make us defend them as well.”

The Billikens also have a win over Belmont, 75-67 on Dec. 16.

Three of their losses came in succession – 65-54 at Iowa State, 64-52 at Notre Dame and 64-56 at Georgia.

They are 8-1 at their Chafetz Arena that opened a year ago, losing only to Missouri State 73-63 on Dec. 19 before bouncing back to beat UMK C 61-54.

Willie Reed, a 6-foot-9 sophomore, averages 10.0 rebounds per game along with 13.8 points while 5-10 sophomore guard Kwmain Mitchell leads Saint Louis’ scoring at 16.0 points per game.

Eastern counters with three seniors in its starting lineup while another of its six seniors, All-Ohio Valley guard Romain Martin, played his first game of the season last week against Franklin College after preseason knee surgery.

“He’s continuing to progress,” Miller said. “We’re trying not to overdo it but he’s getting more and more practices as we go. Hopefully, each day it’s getting. He’s doing two things. He’s doing the rehab on his knee but he’s also getting his body ready to play again.”

Contact Brian Nielsen at [email protected] or 238-6856.

Here's some game analysis from the Charleston Times-Courier...Coach Miller's comments aren't exactly earth shattering:

"You see what they’re trying to do and they are really trying to do it."

"They are going to defend us and make us defend them as well."

Don't ignore youngest team in the nation

EASTERN ILLINOIS (7-4)

AT SAINT LOUIS (8-4)

Tip-off: about 8 p.m. today following 5:30 p.m. Bradley-Saint Louis women’s game at Chaifetz Arena in St. Louis

Radio: WEIU Hit Mix 88.9 FM

By BRIAN NIELSEN, Sports Editor

[email protected]

Saint Louis' sports information department research shows its men’s basketball team is the youngest in NCAA Division I.

With its only upperclassman junior Paul Eckerle out with a preseason knee injury leaving the Billikens with four juniors, a redshirt freshman and six freshman, who can argue?

Still, Eastern Illinois coach Mike Miller says these Baby Bills under former NCAA runner-up Utah coach Rick Majerus can provide lessons for the Panthers heading into today’s 8 p.m. non-conference game at Saint Louis.

“.

Sophomores!

Needs an editor. ;)

For all you Valley fans, bet you will get to the Chaveitz early to watch Taylor Jones who, of course, is the 6'2" guard from West Plaines and who transferred from Missouri State. Again, where's all the "local" interest?

Uh check your facts next time.

He never played at Missouri State in Springfield or in the Valley for that matter.

He transferred from the Juco Missouri State Grizzlies.

Sorry the facts got in the way for you - Thanks for playing