Iowa State

slu72

Just looked them up on ESPN. 4-0 no game has been close all W's by 20+. Didn't check out their roster or ind. stats, but there was a video featuring Andy Katz who says they'll be the surprise team in the Big 12 this year. This game will be an eye opener for the Billikids, ie they're good but their not even top 25.

Just looked them up on ESPN. 4-0 no game has been close all W's by 20+. Didn't check out their roster or ind. stats, but there was a video featuring Andy Katz who says they'll be the surprise team in the Big 12 this year. This game will be an eye opener for the Billikids, ie they're good but their not even top 25.

Brackins is a big time stud.

I can probably shed some light on ISU's team. I am a lifelong ISU fan living in STL and decided to get season tickets when SLU hired Rickma and have become a SLU fan too.

I get the ESPN full court ticket every season and watch 20+ ISU games per season.

Of course, everyone is right about Brackins. He is a stud. But he isn't limited to just a post up game. His greatest asset is his ability to step out and hit the 15-18 footer. He can score from anywhere, I think there was a game his freshman year where he hit 8 or 10 3's against Baylor. Of course his most famous performance was last year vs. KU when he dropped 42.

I think a big key to the game will be LaRon Dendy. He has been out with injury after playing in the 2 exhib games and the first non-conf game. He has a true big man body and will cause us major matchup problems inside. As much as I love BC's grit, he will be overwhelmed by Dendy's size.

Our other tough spot will be trying to match up with Marcus Gilstrap. He is a 6"7 SF with great athletic ability. This is his first and last year with ISU as he played JUCO for a couple years and lost a season to injury before coming to Ames. They are petitioning the NCAA for one more season, but we all know how that will probably go. Gilstrap also has an NBA body and has a scorers mentality. He loves to slash to the basket. Think Tommie Liddell skills with more muscle and 3 more inches of height. I guess KC will guard him, but I think he will be overmatched.

In the backcourt SLU is equal to if not better than ISU. Diante Garrett is a lanky PG with great BH and passing skills but an inconsistant outside shot. The main 3pt threat is Lucca Staiger (had a similar story to Cody Ellis, but had to miss a whole season due to NCAA clearing house), but Lucca is not versitle. He is a spot up shooter through and through. He doesn't contribute a whole lot more than his ability to shoot. SLU is very good at defending the 3, so he shouldn't give them a problem unless they find themselves sagging in on Brackins and Dendy. After Staiger they have a couple of unproven players. Christoperson is a guard similar to Eckerle/CS and thier back up PG Colvin was very highly touted out of HS (ESPN top 100), but has yet to break out.

In the end, I think ISU's front court is too big and too strong (Especially if Dendy plays) and the Cyclones win 65-52. Next season, this is a team SLU beats (Brackins will be gone), but they are not there yet.

-isu will go 6-10,6-11, 6-11 up front at points (one of those can shoot the 3), that in itself does not scare me, but we will need to have BC and WR stay out of foul trouble as at this point CR and JS are not able to provide a whole lot, i like their future, not sure their present will stand up to these guys but we will soon find out

In the end, I think ISU's front court is too big and too strong (Especially if Dendy plays) and the Cyclones win 65-52. Next season, this is a team SLU beats (Brackins will be gone), but they are not there yet.

Thanks for the info... good stuff and welcome to the board. Lucca Staiger? Man, you got to love that name. He does't carry a garote wire and brass knuckles in his shorts, does he? Didn't like to read about his year in clearinghouse hell. Not many here think CE will sit out a year. Again, thanks.

-isu will go 6-10,6-11, 6-11 up front at points (one of those can shoot the 3), that in itself does not scare me, but we will need to have BC and WR stay out of foul trouble as at this point CR and JS are not able to provide a whole lot, i like their future, not sure their present will stand up to these guys but we will soon find out

Yeah, BC's penchant for fouls is going to be a real concern here. I can see us going 4 short against ISU hoping to cause a matchup problem or two as we try and knock down a lot of 3 pointers to stay with these guys.

it will be amusing to watch one of the 6'10" guys guarding salecich or cassity and vice versa.

lucca staiger and LaRon Dendy. great names.

Hey guys, Iowa State fan here. Booyah, had a pretty good analysis of the team a few posts above mine.

This is by far the most athletic and quick team we have had in a loooooong time, probably since the 2000 Big 12 championship team. We like to push the ball up court, force turnovers, and fast break points. We have a ton of depth, more so than any of the last 4 years. If Dendy plays, he is coming off an injury and missed the last couple of games, then he will be a huge asset. He is very high energy, athletic, and quick. With Brackins, Dendy, and Gilstrap on the floor at the same time, its really fun to watch.

What can you tell me about your team????

My score final prediction, I think the first half is close and ISU starts to pull away in the second with their depth and athleticism. ISU wins 72-59. This will be our toughest game so far this season.

Hey guys, Iowa State fan here. Booyah, had a pretty good analysis of the team a few posts above mine.

This is by far the most athletic and quick team we have had in a loooooong time, probably since the 2000 Big 12 championship team. We like to push the ball up court, force turnovers, and fast break points. We have a ton of depth, more so than any of the last 4 years. If Dendy plays, he is coming off an injury and missed the last couple of games, then he will be a huge asset. He is very high energy, athletic, and quick. With Brackins, Dendy, and Gilstrap on the floor at the same time, its really fun to watch.

What can you tell me about your team????

My score final prediction, I think the first half is close and ISU starts to pull away in the second with their depth and athleticism. ISU wins 72-59. This will be our toughest game so far this season.

At this early stage in the season, I don't like sound of a quick/athletic team pressing us.

If we don't hit some early shots, I have a feeling the Baby Bills could be looking at one of this season's ugly games.

Sounds like you are a fairly young team, but have a good back court. Did I read that right when you said the backcourt were freshman players?

As billikenfan05 commented, everyone on our team that plays is either a freshman or a sophomore. Our starting lineup for our 4 regular season games has been as follows:

G-Kwamain Mitchell-Sophomore

G-Kyle Cassity-Sophomore

G-Christian Salecich-Freshman

F-Brian Conklin-Sophomore

F/C-Willie Reed-Sophomore

Our bench is as follows, going by minutes per game:

G-Justin Jordan-Freshman

G-Femi John-Redshirt Freshman

F-Cory Remuken-Freshman

F-Jon Smith-Freshman

G/F-Jeff Reid-Freshman

-he swims with the fishes

More specifically, Lucca Staiger swims with the fishes. I'm thinking it should be JJ who knifes his hand into the floor while Willie garrots him as part of a 360-degree dunk.

Either that, or we could just leave a horse's head in Greg McDermott's bed.