Brandenburg transfer update???

BLIKNS

He's headed to Colgate.

i'm impressed as obviously he is picking schools with a lot of weight on academics and less on basketball. good for young mr brandenberg!

i'm impressed as obviously he is picking schools with a lot of weight on academics and less on basketball. good for young mr brandenberg!

I agree Roy. I have always thought that, with the possible exception of the Blue Chippers who are most certainly going to make a career out of playing basketball, the academic credentials of a school should outweigh the athletic ones.

I agree Roy. I have always thought that, with the possible exception of the Blue Chippers who are most certainly going to make a career out of playing basketball, the academic credentials of a school should outweigh the athletic ones.

exactly. again, i am very impressed by brandenberg's decision. i mean think about it. as an example, probably every school in the mvc would love to have brandenberg. and all the mvc schools are likely going to fare better than colgate basketballwise. however, i would assume based on reputation that colgate exceeds all those schools academically.

I second that opinion.

People seem to be forgetting about Adonal Foyle. Colgate can develop serious bigs.

Colgate developed Foyle? I don't think so. He was an elite caliber recruit who made Colgate famous (for 15 minutes) by choosing to go there rather than to a BCS school (though they weren't referred to in that manner then).

Colgate developed Foyle? I don't think so. He was an elite caliber recruit who made Colgate famous (for 15 minutes) by choosing to go there rather than to a BCS school (though they weren't referred to in that manner then).

Brandenburg must not be that good. Is St. Louis area talent really that bad? Brett Thompson was a 4 star recruit briefly and he is going to Lindenwood. Brandenburg was top 10 center in the country and he cant find time at Virginia and now is going to Colgate. Scott Suggs was supposedly capable of coming in and being a program changer...Is he even in the rotation at Wash?

The next experiment is Brad Beal....lets see how his career pans out.

-Nick

Brandenburg must not be that good. Is St. Louis area talent really that bad? Brett Thompson was a 4 star recruit briefly and he is going to Lindenwood. Brandenburg was top 10 center in the country and he cant find time at Virginia and now is going to Colgate. Scott Suggs was supposedly capable of coming in and being a program changer...Is he even in the rotation at Wash?

The next experiment is Brad Beal....lets see how his career pans out.

-Nick

Regarding Suggs:

2008-09 (Freshman) - Played 13 minutes in exhibition against WWU ... saw first action of college career with an 8 minute outing ... first met Romar when he was 11 years old at a family function in St. Louis ... scored three-point basket against #24 Kansas ... also made a three-pointer against Texas Southern ... scored four points at Oregon State with a rebound and a block in eight minutes ... scored two points and handed-out first assist against Oregon ... scored a basket and handed out an assist in 14 minutes against Seattle University.

But maybe he'll contribute more this year.

St. Louis isn't really a hotbed for basketball.

People seem to be forgetting about Adonal Foyle. Colgate can develop serious bigs.

People forget about it because it was 12 years ago.

I don't remember Foyle being a "big time recruit." He was adopted by Colgate professors when he came to America in his teens. He was involved in a lot of political activism when he was in college and still is. As good a ballplayer as he was he was probably a better student. One of my favorite NBA players of the last decade or so. Shot blocking machine and does almost nothing else.

Lt me call you Mister thicks! And thank you. All those years of arguing with Vtime over why SLU should offer every unknown tom, dick and harry in the S.Louis Public High League and others locally and you come out with "St. Louis isn't really a hotbed for basketball" comment. Being the Post-Dispatch POY is like a kiss of death more times than not.

It makes it somewhat suicidal then for a coach to recruit locally, eh?

People forget about it because it was 12 years ago.

I don't remember Foyle being a "big time recruit." He was adopted by Colgate professors when he came to America in his teens. He was involved in a lot of political activism when he was in college and still is. As good a ballplayer as he was he was probably a better student. One of my favorite NBA players of the last decade or so. Shot blocking machine and does almost nothing else.

Foyle was certainly a big time recruit. Maybe the biggest of that year. I remember how big the press conference was when he announced he was going to Colgate. He came out and led with a joke about skipping college or something like that - said his "father" told him to just tell a joke in order to calm his nerves.

On other matters...wasn't thicks just stating the obvious?

Lt me call you Mister thicks! And thank you. All those years of arguing with Vtime over why SLU should offer every unknown tom, dick and harry in the S.Louis Public High League and others locally and you come out with "St. Louis isn't really a hotbed for basketball" comment. Being the Post-Dispatch POY is like a kiss of death more times than not.

It makes it somewhat suicidal then for a coach to recruit locally, eh?

I'm kinda surprised there is any optimism and that some think RM is actually doing a good job recruiting even though he is not relying upon local recruits. Shouldn't we be awful and w/ little hope w/o Suggs, Griffey, Anthony Booker, Brandenberg and then not adding Roundtree while losing Cotto and Thompson? :D;)

Foyle was certainly a big time recruit. Maybe the biggest of that year. I remember how big the press conference was when he announced he was going to Colgate. He came out and led with a joke about skipping college or something like that - said his "father" told him to just tell a joke in order to calm his nerves.

On other matters...wasn't thicks just stating the obvious?

I was goofing around a little with the Adonal Foyle reference; he was just the only recent NBA player from Colgate that came to mind. I'm sure whatever coaches were involved with his college career are no longer around. Still, Foyle's had a steady career and seems like one of the more interesting, nice, and smart guys in the league.

I'm kinda surprised there is any optimism and that some think RM is actually doing a good job recruiting even though he is not relying upon local recruits. Shouldn't we be awful and w/ little hope w/o Suggs, Griffey, Anthony Booker, Brandenberg and then not adding Roundtree while losing Cotto and Thompson? :);)

I don't know that anyone is making NCAA tourney plans for the Bills this year so maybe things aren't as rosey as you think.

I don't know that anyone is making NCAA tourney plans for the Bills this year so maybe things aren't as rosey as you think.

I still think we will be better than last year but still not a Tourney team. Even if I am wrong and we lose a few more games than last year, I so much more looking forward to this year than last year.

I, for one, would not have believed (prior to RM) our team would actually be the same/better in the year following the loss of TL and KL. Year after year, we upperclassmen graduate w/o anyone being recruited to help for them and/or replace them. How many Billiken fans were looking forward to watching our Bills w/o TL and KL? Wouldn't this be the year of AK and DM put the squad on their backs and carried them to the Tourney?? :)

The downside for me was the bad relationship he had with with TL and KL. RM's first year/their Junior years was exciting to see/watch how RM coached them and how they responded to RM. Last year was simply a long year. The upside, though, is now RM coaching w/o anymore Brad recruits or Brad guys. I see strength in numbers and look forward to who will step up and who will not.

Responding to Nate's comments in anther thread, I am expecting RM to sign 4 new players this coming year. I know only 2 spots are available but am expecting more spots to open. Next year will be our break-thru year.

I still think we will be better than last year but still not a Tourney team. Even if I am wrong and we lose a few more games than last year, I so much more looking forward to this year than last year.

I, for one, would not have believed (prior to RM) our team would actually be the same/better in the year following the loss of TL and KL. Year after year, we upperclassmen graduate w/o anyone being recruited to help for them and/or replace them. How many Billiken fans were looking forward to watching our Bills w/o TL and KL? Wouldn't this be the year of AK and DM put the squad on their backs and carried them to the Tourney?? :)

The downside for me was the bad relationship he had with with TL and KL. RM's first year/their Junior years was exciting to see/watch how RM coached them and how they responded to RM. Last year was simply a long year. The upside, though, is now RM coaching w/o anymore Brad recruits or Brad guys. I see strength in numbers and look forward to who will step up and who will not.

Responding to Nate's comments in anther thread, I am expecting RM to sign 4 new players this coming year. I know only 2 spots are available but am expecting more spots to open. Next year will be our break-thru year.

RM brooming a few kids and KL, TL graduating, leaving and the early exits of Cotto and Thompson still leave me with this thought "we have suffered too many years of having basketball teams that were too small, too slow, not athletic enough and couldn't shoot for a reasonable percentage. If RM has raised the bar and recruited better players; great, I am tired of ugly basketball games. Let us see some jumpshooters, scorers, playmakers, players who anticipate and steal the ball and players who rebound and feed it downcourt to our guys breaking to the basket.

Is that too much to ask?

Guest BillikenReport

RM brooming a few kids and KL, TL graduating, leaving and the early exits of Cotto and Thompson still leave me with this thought "we have suffered too many years of having basketball teams that were too small, too slow, not athletic enough and couldn't shoot for a reasonable percentage. If RM has raised the bar and recruited better players; great, I am tired of ugly basketball games. Let us see some jumpshooters, scorers, playmakers, players who anticipate and steal the ball and players who rebound and feed it downcourt to our guys breaking to the basket.

Is that too much to ask?

This year's team will be bigger (more guys in the 6-6/6-7/6-8 range) and more athletic than the last however many years of SLU teams.

Since are roster is full of freshmen and sophmores, I am making my NCAA tourney plans for the year after next and the NCAA Final Four plans the year after that.

Yes, freshmen and sophomores but hopefully these are different types of players than the freshmen and sophomores we had watched, with a few exceptions, in the past. I can assure you, the freshmen and sophomores sitting on Duke and North Carolina's bench would blow away our seasoned Seniors. Our problem has been that our recruits, except for an occasional few, have needed experience and development until their Jr and Sr years before they were even real contrbutors for us.

Unless our incoming recruits are not as good as advertised, I am expecting our more talented but inexperienced/less developed guys to play like some of our less talented but experienced/developed upperclassmen from the recent past. Then, when these more talented guys gain the experience and fully develop in their Jr. and Sr. years, we should have special teams that will make, and possibly advance in, the NCAA Tourney.

Am I expecting too much of these young guys this year??