Banquet Stories?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that was the most notable thing. From the way Majerus said it when talking about Tommie, it sounded like Tommie dropped out of school. At least that was the conclusion from the people around me.

Boy if he dropped out that is pretty lame; no degree no backup plan when you turn 30 years old and that comes pretty quickly.

Boy if he dropped out that is pretty lame; no degree no backup plan when you turn 30 years old and that comes pretty quickly.

I would be extremely dissapointed if that were the case, Tommie has worked so hard to get here and now...

Just noticed the Senior tribute video is now on SLUBillikens.com (look on the right of the homepage).

Hope the news isn't true about Tommie. He has worked hard, between Hargrave and his time at SLU.

Just noticed the Senior tribute video is now on SLUBillikens.com (look on the right of the homepage).

Hope the news isn't true about Tommie. He has worked hard, between Hargrave and his time at SLU.

Wow... sad ending for TLIII if true. He always said the right things about his academics at SLU, criminology wasn't it? Guess he's getting ready to go to Europe or somewhere else to play ball. Again, it's kind of sad to see him blow off the banquet and SLU. The animosity must run deeper than previously thought.

Guest Credsteelers6

Speaking of NFL WR diva syndrome. Ladies and gentlemen, Tommie Liddell III.

Tommie? (looking around the room)...

to make tommie out to be the bad guy is reprehensible imo. it is pretty obvious the way things unfurled the last month or so that there are more factors at play that is extremely disappointing.

but think of this: the family was upset enough that in front of thousands of people they openly would not approach the billiken head coach.

the extended family and friends are so upset that long time east st louis spokesman, maurice scott publishes an attack on the billiken head coach.

tommie is so upset that he not only skips the senior banquet, he reportedly dropped out of school.

that is a lot of negative. whether it is justified or not is something us as insiders cant attest to, but we can coclude there is a lot of hurt and bad feelings. and regardless of who is right or wrong. that is a shame. a shame considering all the good that tommie liddell did for saint louis university the last four years.

i think slu should be doing all they can to reach out to tommie. and maybe they have. hopefully this is something that can somehow be mended.

to make tommie out to be the bad guy is reprehensible imo. it is pretty obvious the way things unfurled the last month or so that there are more factors at play that is extremely disappointing.

but think of this: the family was upset enough that in front of thousands of people they openly would not approach the billiken head coach.

the extended family and friends are so upset that long time east st louis spokesman, maurice scott publishes an attack on the billiken head coach.

tommie is so upset that he not only skips the senior banquet, he reportedly dropped out of school.

that is a lot of negative. whether it is justified or not is something us as insiders cant attest to, but we can coclude there is a lot of hurt and bad feelings. and regardless of who is right or wrong. that is a shame. a shame considering all the good that tommie liddell did for saint louis university the last four years.

i think slu should be doing all they can to reach out to tommie. and maybe they have. hopefully this is something that can somehow be mended.

I would agree that we shouldn't be making Tommie out to be a bad guy. But, I certainly hope he has not dropped out of school or I really question the advice he is being given. As stated before, he has worked really hard and from what I hear has accomplished and overcome so much academically. I would imagine he is pretty close to graduating and would hate to see him drop out. I don't want to minimize anything that has gone on with Tommie or his feelings because I don't know much about that but I sure hope Tommie and his family reconsider if this is true. Life is not always fair and if he is acting out of emotion because of ill feelings towards RM then I think that is something he will regret in the future. One banquet was all he had left in regards to having anything to do with RM and in regards to his school, RM wouldn't have anything to do with that so this really puzzles me.

Guest BillikenReport

If it is true that TL dropped out of school, I doubt it had anything to do with Majerus. TL was done with Majerus, so if he really had a problem with the coach it would not have mattered because he wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.

Roy, for you to defend Maurice Scott's article or Tommie dropping out of school is absolutely absurd. Tommie may have hated playing for Majerus and may even hate Majerus, but that doesn't justify an article comprised of lies and it certainly doesn't justify walking away from a college degree. At a minimum, Tommie and his family have demonstrated immature and short-sighted behavior.

If it is true that TL dropped out of school, I doubt it had anything to do with Majerus. TL was done with Majerus, so if he really had a problem with the coach it would not have mattered because he wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.

Yeah, blaming the coach for TL dropping out of school at this point doesn't make any sense to me. He didn't have to deal with Majerus anymore.

Roy, for you to defend Maurice Scott's article or Tommie dropping out of school is absolutely absurd. Tommie may have hated playing for Majerus and may even hate Majerus, but that doesn't justify an article comprised of lies and it certainly doesn't justify walking away from a college degree. At a minimum, Tommie and his family have demonstrated immature and short-sighted behavior.

all i am saying in my above comment is that there is a lot of openly displayed of extreme anger and defiance. to assume that is all misplaced seems naive to me. that much smoke must equal some kind of fire somewhere somehow or at least a lot of built up misunderstanding and resentment.

for slu to ignore such isnt healthy for the program imo. now that said, i have no information slu has ignored such. and if they have tried to mend the tears and it just isnt going to heal, so be it. all in all it is a sad ending to a fine career.

all i am saying in my above comment is that there is a lot of openly displayed of extreme anger and defiance. to assume that is all misplaced seems naive to me. that much smoke must equal some kind of fire somewhere somehow or at least a lot of built up misunderstanding and resentment.

for slu to ignore such isnt healthy for the program imo. now that said, i have no information slu has ignored such. and if they have tried to mend the tears and it just isnt going to heal, so be it. all in all it is a sad ending to a fine career.

Until we hear from TL III, assuming we ever will, we can only comment on what we see. The blow off of the banquet, the blow off of RM at Senior Night, the Scott article, and TL's disappearing act on offense the last part of the season. Clearly there is friction to some degree. Why? Who really knows? Obviously though, TLIII didn't appreciate playing for RM nor did his family.

The real shame is that TLIII is ruining his own legacy here in town. As we all know, one of the best selling points for SLU and for recruits to consider playing at SLU is that some of these talented locals can get the playing time (TL did for all 4 years), play in front of family/friends, get a great education in an urban environment as opposed to small, rural college town and can then use this time to set yourself up for life. Just look at Scott Highmark, Joe Wiley, etc.

TL did not have to like RM but if he had taken the high road just a little bit longer, he would not have damaged his legacy. For me, it's hard to think of all the positive at this point. Reminds me of Ozzie Smith and his continued hate of TLR and his bitching/hurtful feeling b/c of Royce Clayto and his self-imposed exile from the Cardinals. When TLR is gone I, for one, will never support and view Ozzie the same.

Roy, I acknowledged that their may be some bitterness by the Liddell clan against Majerus. That is fine. (And I don't believe the university has any need to address it.) In an earlier post, you defended the actions the Liddell clan has purportedly taken, which are not mature and appropriate. The behavior is a different issue than the tension. For example, readers of this board will reasonably infer from your pattern of remarks that the Lisch family didn't necessarily enjoy the Majerus experience, but they have certainly been classy, professional, and mature regardless.

Roy, your comments here are some of the most ridiculous you have ever posted. Do you personally know any of the facts? The answer is no! The university has reached out in every way possible to Tommie and his family.

Roy, I acknowledged that their may be some bitterness by the Liddell clan against Majerus. That is fine. (And I don't believe the university has any need to address it.) In an earlier post, you defended the actions the Liddell clan has purportedly taken, which are not mature and appropriate. The behavior is a different issue than the tension. For example, readers of this board will reasonably infer from your pattern of remarks that the Lisch family didn't necessarily enjoy the Majerus experience, but they have certainly been classy, professional, and mature regardless.

By the time some players are ready for their senior years; they no longer go to Big Man camp or worry about get 20 points a game; they must hit a wall. They must realise where they fit in no matter how hard they try and some I would say just sllide.

Think about Ian. Think about Chris Heinrich, Matt Baniak, Chris Braun, Reggie Bryant, TLIII, Monroe Douglas- there must be a lot of others that come to mind that don't have good senior years that the hype would make you expect for last semesters. Some just have all of this promise and the opposing coaches learn how to defend against them or something happens that they never get in the zone. They just become mediocre when the fans

all want them to do so well.

Thank God we get the occasional Bonner, Clagget, Leuctefeld, Luke Meyer, Kevin Lisch, Barry Eberhardt, Donny Dobbs, Evan Pederson that keeps trying to get better

Just a couple other things from the banquet:

-Not sure if it was ever verified here, but Willie clearly had some kind of medical procedure/surgery on his knee or whatever was supposedly bothering him. He was walking a bit gingerly and at one point I noticed that he had crutches.

-Femi wasn't using any crutches or anything for his knee injury. From a distance he seemed to be walking well, though from up close you could tell that he had suffered some kind of injury.

-Kwamain shaved off his dreadlocks.

Guest Credsteelers6

You are racist if you think that about a story in the St. Louis American, a paper that has been the voice of the African-American community in St. Louis for decades and will continue to be for centuries, is full of lies. I'd rather read a guy who has an opinion, rather than Timmerman, who has to dumb down his articles for the "3.5 million adults who read the PD each week." I'd like to know how many children read the paper, since we obviously have a literacy issue in our country.

Mo Scott -- keep up the good work, brother. One love.

'68 Mexico Olympics. Fists raised.

You are racist if you think that about a story in the St. Louis American, a paper that has been the voice of the African-American community in St. Louis for decades and will continue to be for centuries, is full of lies. I'd rather read a guy who has an opinion, rather than Timmerman, who has to dumb down his articles for the "3.5 million adults who read the PD each week." I'd like to know how many children read the paper, since we obviously have a literacy issue in our country.

Mo Scott -- keep up the good work, brother. One love.

'68 Mexico Olympics. Fists raised.

Cred did you even read the article? It was almost completely trash not even worthy of being printed in the Enquirer! He couldn't even get his facts right. Did you ever take a journalism class in high school? You have only posted six times on this board, you are in no position to call Nark a racist or anybody a racist for that matter. To do so was incredibly immature on your part.