Quick List of People who'd be Better than Guy

I'll keep my list at least semi-serious.

John Ulett

Randy Karraker (even with the lisp)

Jim Holder (not a big fan of his, and it might be a tough trip from SE Mo, where I think he lives now)

JC Corcoran (again, not a big fan of his, but he probably reaches a better demographic if you insist on an FM personality)

Any other ideas?

harold kraft (went to grade school with him through third grade, disappeared after eating a number of kids crayons one day and got caught by miss lemon our teacher. not sure what happened to him, but even he could surely do better than guy)

martin dugan

better yet, let dugan and jc corcoran co pa.

the jerk cop that runs the light after the games at the corner of market and compton. if you judge pa ability by his ability to call skip and me names for yelling to change already after standing for 15 minutes at the corner, he could do better.

wyvetter younger the eastside state legislator that recently passed away.

any of the beer vendors that work sections 101 and 102. they come down the aisle and squat right behind me and yell for about 2 minutes "cold bud, cold bud". surely guy can hear them across the court.

our own frank ladd from the band. this is serious. he does a great job on the traffic reports on the radio. we know he knows the game, knows the billikens, loves the billikens, seriously he would be a great choice.

Guest BillikenReport

Can I nominate the guy yelling behind me last night who was calling everyone "Jack" and pleading for Lisch to shoot every time he touched the ball, including whenever he was just inside half court?

Can I nominate the guy yelling behind me last night who was calling everyone "Jack" and pleading for Lisch to shoot every time he touched the ball, including whenever he was just inside half court?

Sounds like Roy got all schlitzed and couldn't find his seat again... :P

I think North Carolina A T & T along with Thomas Conklin would be happy with the job Guy is doing. Too bad I never heard of either of them before last night.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I turned to my seatmate and I said, "I swear, Guy just called them North Carolina AT&T," but I was sure it was just my imagination. (My seatmate then suggested that, given the current economic environment for colleges, this might just be the next step in naming-rights.)

Re: The list. U-Man barely sees his family as it is, except for non-baseball season. He'd be great, but he's overworked.

I would once again humbly renominate Taj and myself. Hey, we've even got experience PAing Billiken games.

Please don't have us listen to JC. I would give up my tickets (not a joke, I'd be done)

i used to be a big jc fan (bonwich has promised to let me know if the old jc returns and then i might listen again). but even if he hadnt turned as mean and negative as anyone on the planet, i wouldnt want him as our pa announcer. i cant remember him ever discussing basketball on his show i.e shows no interest in the sport let alone saint louis university. we dont need another flavor of guy.

i used to be a big jc fan (bonwich has promised to let me know if the old jc returns and then i might listen again). but even if he hadnt turned as mean and negative as anyone on the planet, i wouldnt want him as our pa announcer. i cant remember him ever discussing basketball on his show i.e shows no interest in the sport let alone saint louis university. we dont need another flavor of guy.

I'm no JC fan, but he is a sports fan and reaches a better demographic than Guy. roy, do you ever hear Guy talking about basketball on his show?

I've always said Phillips was terrible but this year it has gotten especially bad. Maybe he and Kim hit up Lorenzini's before the game.

You can have a straightforward announcer or you can have a cheerleader type. Phillips is a personality with no interest in the game whatsoever. I've seen a lot of people criticize him for telling fans to stand but I don't mind an announcer doing that. I mind Guy doing that because he has never shown any interest in the games previously outside of whatever he can make a snide comment about.

People I'd like to see given a chance over Guy

John Ulett

Rick Edlund

Bill Wilkerson

Bill McDermott

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I turned to my seatmate and I said, "I swear, Guy just called them North Carolina AT&T," but I was sure it was just my imagination. (My seatmate then suggested that, given the current economic environment for colleges, this might just be the next step in naming-rights.)

Re: The list. U-Man barely sees his family as it is, except for non-baseball season. He'd be great, but he's overworked.

I would once again humbly renominate Taj and myself. Hey, we've even got experience PAing Billiken games.

I suspect I am probably older than the average fan on this board, but good to know I am not completely deaf. I thought I heard that AT&T too. The fact that we are even having this discussion tells you that the Guy needs to go. I view a PA announcer like a ref. If you don't really notice him, he's probably doing a good job. Guy draws attention to himself and it is usually not good attention. I believe most fans don't want a comedian in that role, just somebody who is on the ball, accurate and has a little enthusiasm, but not over the top.

I suspect I am probably older than the average fan on this board, but good to know I am not completely deaf. I thought I heard that AT&T too. The fact that we are even having this discussion tells you that the Guy needs to go. I view a PA announcer like a ref. If you don't really notice him, he's probably doing a good job. Guy draws attention to himself and it is usually not good attention. I believe most fans don't want a comedian in that role, just somebody who is on the ball, accurate and has a little enthusiasm, but not over the top.

I am a very lucky person in that my wife rarely talks or comments and she remarked that Guy Phillips just called the other team AT and T

It is very confusing for Guy that BT and BC have 14 and 41 on their shirts and he gets them confused as they are both big. This is a very confusing

situation for someone who says what people want said for a living; he thought there would be no math

I am a very lucky person in that my wife rarely talks or comments

I'm sure that's not meant in the "GOD, my wife's such a troll" way, since you've talked about your great relationship w/ her many times before, but still, pretty funny.

I'm no JC fan, but he is a sports fan and reaches a better demographic than Guy. roy, do you ever hear Guy talking about basketball on his show?

i dont listen to guy phillips show.

Here is my nomination: I would like to Joe Pott as the PA (He did the Xavier game last year as a Guy fill in.) But, Joe is out, he does the radio for SIUE basketball.

Second choice would be Paul Cook, he does traffic on Channel 4 in the mornings and afternoon drive on Y-98.

I nominate Jimbo after a few drinks.

Well, I am able to recognize the players better over a shite internet feed than he does in person. But I guarantee that I'd let a MOTHER F#&%#^ slip as soon as the Billikens hit a drought and that would be the end of that.