Signing Day

Pistol

i do know that we have another pf coming to visit in December. Hopefully he will sign after seeing SLU!

Spill the beans! Give us a name or at least a good hint. When does this signing period end and would this unnamed recruit still be able to sign early if he is visiting in Dec?

So you don't have to hunt for the releases...here they are.

Christian Salecich Signs to Play for Billikens

Rated top off guard in Australia

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Rick Majerus today announced that 6-foot-4 guard

Christian Salecich (Gold Coast, Australia/Institute of Sport) has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend the University and play

basketball for the Billikens. Salecich will have four years of eligibility beginning with the 2009-10 academic year.

“Christian is truly Aussie-tough,” Majerus said. “Like all ‘Boomers’, he has a passion and a competitive streak to rival that of

Australians like (former Utah and current NBA player) Andrew Bogut, who I was fortunate to coach, and (former NBA and

Australian pro) Shane Heal. Christian has played on three continents against men. Every coach and every competitor talks first and

foremost about his toughness and passion. He is coming 6,000 miles from home to play basketball. That should give our fans some

indication about his love of the game.”

“Like Jon Smith and Cory Remekun, Christian is a sensational student,” Majerus said. “This is an honor roll class in the

academic arena as well as the basketball arena. But in the area that matters the most, all of these young men have exceptional

families who visited with them and got to meet and see for themselves first hand the best part of Saint Louis University – the faculty,

education and the current players on the team. Christian, Cory and Jon were player favorites on their recruiting visits. Our current

class really felt that their attitude and commitment to the game coincided with theirs.”

Salecich is the top-ranked off guard in the 2009 class in Australia. He played the last two seasons for the Australian Institute

of Sport, the elite prep school in Canberra, Australia, which has produced more than 20 Division I players, including Andrew Bogut

who played at Utah under Majerus.

“Christian’s Junior National Coach, Marty Clarke, is a teacher extraordinaire, therefore, Christian has a real command of

the fundamentals,” Majerus said.

Last season, Salecich averaged 12 points per game while shooting 43 percent from 3-point range and 89 percent from the

free-throw line. Christian helped A.I.S. advance to the 2008 Southeast Australian Basketball League finals. Salecich is a member of the

Junior Australian National team which will compete at the 2009 U-19 World Championships. He won the silver medal with Team

Australia at the 2007 Junior Oceania Tournament, and he participated in the 2007 Adidas Nations Camp in New Orleans, when he

played against current Billiken Ruben Cotto, and each remembered the other for his tenacity. Salecich scored 15 points and had four

assists and helped Australia win the bronze medal game at the 2008 Albert Schweitzer Tournament with a victory over the USA.

Salecich is an athletic guard who possesses deep 3-point range, and he is considered a premier defender.

Cory Remekun Signs NLI With SLU

From Mesquite High in Texas

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Rick Majerus today announced that 6-foot-8 post

Cory Remekun (Mesquite, Texas/Mesquite) has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend the University and play basketball for

the Billikens. Remekun will have four years of eligibility beginning with the 2009-10 academic year.

“Cory has an outstanding future,” Majerus said. “He is a 17-year old senior who reminded our staff of Bryant Dunston

(former Fordham player). Cory’s family is about education first and foremost, and he is an outstanding student. His body could

become that of a man-child. Cory has broad shoulders, soft hands and a very good touch. We are confident he could become, for

the old schoolers out there, a (former NBA standout) Paul Silas-type of player. His best ball lies ahead of him. He played on a high

school team that has two other Division I players on it (Vertrail Vaughns, George Mason and Chase Hallam, Denver), so he hasn’t

had the touches a big might get. Therefore, Corey goes hard to the glass. However, he’s got the ‘P’ word (potential) in spades. He

sat through three practices on his visit, and his eyes never left the court. Corey really wants to be a good player.

“Like Jon Smith and Christian Salecich, Cory is a sensational student,” Majerus said. “This is an honor roll class in the

academic arena as well as the basketball arena. But in the area that matters the most, all of these young men have exceptional

families who visited with them and got to meet and see for themselves first hand the best part of Saint Louis University – the faculty,

education and the current players on the team. Christian, Cory and Jon were player favorites on their recruiting visits. Our current

class really felt that their attitude and commitment to the game coincided with theirs.”

As a junior, Remekun was a first-team All-District 12-5A selection and averaged over nine points and five rebounds per

game. Last season, his Mesquite team was the No. 1 ranked team in the district for most of the year, finished with a 28-7 record and

reached the regional semifinals of the Texas 5A state tournament. This season, Mesquite is ranked eighth in 5A preseason polls,

Texas’ top prep division.

---www.slubillikens.com---

Jon Smith Inks With Billikens

Was honorable mention All-State in Ohio

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Rick Majerus today announced that 6-foot-7 forward

Jon Smith (Grove City, Ohio/Grove City) has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend the University and play basketball for the

Billikens. Smith will have four years of eligibility beginning with the 2009-10 academic year.

“Jon has tremendous character, is a strong student, and most of all, has unbridled passion for the game,” Majerus said. “He

is early to the gym and the last to leave. This summer, I saw him take a brutal undercut, spit up some blood, and I thought he lost

some teeth. When he came back, he was upset when they would not let him back into the game. From that point on, I was as

convinced as ever that he loves the game. He is a Paul Pressey-type (former NBA player whom Majerus, with Don Nelson, coached

on Dream Team II) of player. Jon is a cerebral young man. We feel he can defend any position one through four and is an

outstanding rebounder. When Jon concentrates on his outside shooting and ball handling, he can be the complete package at 6-foot-

7. We are making a concerted effort to play more up-tempo basketball. Jon’s athleticism will enable us to extend our pick-up point

on defense. His best attribute, however, may be the ability to transition running the floor.”

“Like Christian Salecich and Cory Remekun, Jon is a sensational student,” Majerus said. “This is an honor roll class in the

Smith was a Division I All-Ohio honorable mention selection after averaging 17 points and 11 rebounds for Grove City as a

junior. He is ranked by Scouting Ohio as the #12 senior in the state. Smith was the Player of the Year in the Ohio Capital

Conference and was a first-team All-Conference selection. Playing on a young team, his high school squad posted a 12-10 record. He

also played on the King James Shooting Stars AAU team, which is sponsored by NBA superstar LeBron James.

Any chance this PF is Leon Powell?

Highly, highly doubtful. I don't think Powell fits the Majerus mold at all.

I suspect it is a foreign player from Europe or Australia. I know they were evaluating some big men in both places.

Jon Smith Inks With Billikens

Was honorable mention All-State in Ohio

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Rick Majerus today announced that 6-foot-7 forward

Jon Smith (Grove City, Ohio/Grove City) has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend the University and play basketball for the

Billikens. Smith will have four years of eligibility beginning with the 2009-10 academic year.

“Jon has tremendous character, is a strong student, and most of all, has unbridled passion for the game,” Majerus said. “He

is early to the gym and the last to leave. This summer, I saw him take a brutal undercut, spit up some blood, and I thought he lost

some teeth. When he came back, he was upset when they would not let him back into the game. From that point on, I was as

convinced as ever that he loves the game. He is a Paul Pressey-type (former NBA player whom Majerus, with Don Nelson, coached

on Dream Team II) of player. Jon is a cerebral young man. We feel he can defend any position one through four and is an

outstanding rebounder. When Jon concentrates on his outside shooting and ball handling, he can be the complete package at 6-foot-

We are making a concerted effort to play more up-tempo basketball.

Jon’s athleticism will enable us to extend our pick-up point

on defense. His best attribute, however, may be the ability to transition running the floor.”

“Like Christian Salecich and Cory Remekun, Jon is a sensational student,” Majerus said. “This is an honor roll class in the

Smith was a Division I All-Ohio honorable mention selection after averaging 17 points and 11 rebounds for Grove City as a

junior. He is ranked by Scouting Ohio as the #12 senior in the state. Smith was the Player of the Year in the Ohio Capital

Conference and was a first-team All-Conference selection. Playing on a young team, his high school squad posted a 12-10 record. He

also played on the King James Shooting Stars AAU team, which is sponsored by NBA superstar LeBron James.

the singled out line made me read this again

I doubt we'll ever be all out run and gun, but I don't doubt Majerus that we'll play more uptempo. When he had Andre Miller leading the way, the Utes were capable of playing uptempo. With Mitchell leading the way along with Reed, Smith, John, Cassity and by all accounts Salecich, we have the makings of some guys who can get up and down the court and play more uptempo. Plus RM will have more depth to run.

RM seems somewhat content if all he gets are these three given his concern for not overloading his two recruiting classes so they all have to be replaced again in big numbers. I think what he is basically saying is these 3 are fine and if one or two more really good players that we have lines on decide they want to come to SLU then we will take them but if they don't we are not looking for anybody else actively. Sounded to me like he would just as soon add 3 more players next year. It also sounds to me like PE is going to have to move on to concentrate on his studies.

Why do you say Powell wouldnt fit?

Majerus doesn't like jucos, and he prefers kids with an academic-first focus. I know Powell doesn't fit the first criteria, and at least coming out of high school Powell apparently didn't have strong academic credentials. I also question whether Powell's skill set is a recruiting priority considering two kids signed yesterday offer a similar size and athleticism.

RM seems somewhat content if all he gets are these three given his concern for not overloading his two recruiting classes so they all have to be replaced again in big numbers. I think what he is basically saying is these 3 are fine and if one or two more really good players that we have lines on decide they want to come to SLU then we will take them but if they don't we are not looking for anybody else actively. Sounded to me like he would just as soon add 3 more players next year. It also sounds to me like PE is going to have to move on to concentrate on his studies.

Isn't there an intention to redshirt Remekun?

Guest BillikenReport

Isn't there an intention to redshirt Remekun?

Yes.

The classes will even out a little bit over time with guys leaving and Majerus has been careful not to add players just for the sake of adding bodies (other than practice players, that is).

What happened to the big kid from Austrailia? Isn't that the kid who will be coming to visit in December? I missed a few recent threads but is that the kid and we still trying to figure out his name?

Also, believe Remeken is the kid RM was referring to when he said at the MAC that he offered him a scholarship as long as he redshirts. If so, we lose 3 seniors after this year and we are 2 players short this year, then we should still have 2 scholarships left. If Remekun redshirts and we add no one else, we will 3 guys short next year. I know RM thoughts on JUCOs but it sure seems like adding a Junior would be a good thing.

G`Day Billiken fans,

Have had the pleasure of reading many of your posts , and enjoyed them greatly , i`m not to sure about chopping of a Koalas ears of and calling it a Billiken ,still trying to work out what a Billiken is but i must say it looks cool and original .

I would like to know a little on the Basketball programme have read numerous posts and find that there is a lot of different opinions on where the Billikens are headed under Majerus who has a very big reputation in OZ , and what is the support like for the Bllikens in general , reason i am asking have found out that one of our Aussie boys Christian Salecich has signed to play for SLU and was interested in the college he has signed for, he was always destined to play College ball even at a young age , thats how i came across these Forums ,

7000+ for a game of B/Ball is huge compare to the our Aussie crowds ,we struggle to get 2500 at our National league competition.

Any information would be great and if you have any questions please ask and i will try and answer them

Great to have a first win at a new stadium regardless on how ugly it might have been ,would rather be going home with a win , Stadium looks great we have nothing that close in OZ that i have seen ,

And i think the Freshman will struggle for a month or so but will eventualy find their feet ,but looking at the recruits this year and next should be a very interesting season in 2-3 yrs for SLU Basketball.

Welcome to the board blinky. Great to have you in the Billiken fandom. However, let me suggest that you check out sites related to NCAA Basketball in general to get a better feel for where SLU currently fits in the landscape of USA college basketball and where we hope the SLU basketball program is going. While 7500 may seem impressive compared to what you're accustomed to, we're currently mediocre compared to the elite programs (did I just type that? I shall now banish myself to two days of self-exile!).