Scrimmage

Once again, we have to rely on Memphis's press to get any scoop on the scrimmage.

Someone posted a comment requesting info on SLU players, similar to what I did last year, but I suspect very little will be forthcoming. I do think the following is revealing.

“We’re not offensive rebounding at all. We’re not even attempting. Last year we didn’t shoot the ball well, but we’d rebound and it wasn’t just Joey it was our team and how we played. Right now if they even come near us, we run the other way. We have to get that squared away.”

Yeah, Coach Calipari interprets that as his Tigers' lack of desire to rebound offensively, and that could be true, but I think there's a possibility that Coach Majerus has gotten the Bills to rebound so well on the defensive end that the opposing players "run the other way." Well, I can hope.

Once again, we have to rely on Memphis's press to get any scoop on the scrimmage.

Someone posted a comment requesting info on SLU players, similar to what I did last year, but I suspect very little will be forthcoming. I do think the following is revealing.

Yeah, Coach Calipari interprets that as his Tigers' lack of desire to rebound offensively, and that could be true, but I think there's a possibility that Coach Majerus has gotten the Bills to rebound so well on the defensive end that the opposing players "run the other way." Well, I can hope.

As I recall from last years scrimmage Coach Cal complimented the Bills on how he felt the Bills out hustled the Tigers. It maybe his way of getting on his players and being nice.

As I recall from last years scrimmage Coach Cal complimented the Bills on how he felt the Bills out hustled the Tigers. It maybe his way of getting on his players and being nice.

No one outside of the teams and the staff are allowed to watch. What I heard was that the team played hard and held their own for long periods. Memphis had two stars injured so they could not play. I believe the staff is very happy with Lisch, Lidell and the freshmen.

Once again, we have to rely on Memphis's press to get any

-i am ok with any scrimmage info coming from the memphis camp as i am under the impression the ncaa wants these things as private as possible, but then i hear the ncaa granting teams early practices and that select boosters can attend the scrimmage so i am not sure what to think

-hopefully our kids learned something and rick got some coaching points to get us ready for the mighty harris stowe (they might be)

-i am ok with any scrimmage info coming from the memphis camp as i am under the impression the ncaa wants these things as private as possible, but then i hear the ncaa granting teams early practices and that select boosters can attend the scrimmage so i am not sure what to think

-hopefully our kids learned something and rick got some coaching points to get us ready for the mighty harris stowe (they might be)

I seriously doubt that any "boosters" from Memphis or anyone else were allowed to watch the scrimmage. I was in the building at the time it was going on and they were vigilant to make sure that no one not part of the staff was able to watch anything. I never saw a thing but I just heard some things from the coaches and gave some very general observations. I personally believe that this sort of scrimmage is very important to the development of a young team. The coaches can really motivate the players and see what they have in terms of basketball IQ and intensity in a closed session where the coaches can yell and get on the players as they see fit without any outside influences, press, etc.

Dan Wolken left another comment this morning:

So, I guess I better cut back on the thought that these Billikens may own the glass!

I would think that if we could even hold our own on the glass against most decent teams that would be a big accomplishment with our very young team with no returning big men. Barry has never been a big time rebounder and we should not expect that to change.

I seriously doubt that any "boosters" from Memphis or anyone else were allowed to watch the scrimmage. I was in the building at the time it was going on and they were vigilant to make sure that no one not part of the staff was able to watch anything. I never saw a thing but I just heard some things from the coaches and gave some very general observations. I personally believe that this sort of scrimmage is very important to the development of a young team. The coaches can really motivate the players and see what they have in terms of basketball IQ and intensity in a closed session where the coaches can yell and get on the players as they see fit without any outside influences, press, etc.

Cowboy may have been confusing my statement about the UCLA scrimmage with the Billiken/Memphis scrimmage. The UCLA scrimmage was a 'blue-white' type scrimmage that they could have opened to all but instead chose to limit to select boosters, season ticket holders, and media (and that is their only 'open' session until the first exhibition game). The Billiken/Memphis scrimmage is governed by NCAA rules so it must be a completely closed gym to comply with the rules.

I would think that if we could even hold our own on the glass against most decent teams that would be a big accomplishment with our very young team with no returning big men. Barry has never been a big time rebounder and we should not expect that to change.

When I first read the Memphis comment that they were not even attempting to rebound. it made me wonder if the reason they were not is they were worried about getting back on defense in time. Might we be running a bit? Might that be a good reason to keep the practices closed? It will get out soon enough once the games start, but might RM being installing more of a fast break offense that he can use to surprise some of the teams we play early in the season?

I know - absolutely no support for this and it runs contrary to RM's past offensive schemes. But might he have changed some of the offense to reflect the new players he recruited?

Hope springs eternal - can't wait for the games to begin.

When I first read the Memphis comment that they were not even attempting to rebound. it made me wonder if the reason they were not is they were worried about getting back on defense in time. Might we be running a bit? Might that be a good reason to keep the practices closed? It will get out soon enough once the games start, but might RM being installing more of a fast break offense that he can use to surprise some of the teams we play early in the season?

I know - absolutely no support for this and it runs contrary to RM's past offensive schemes. But might he have changed some of the offense to reflect the new players he recruited?

If I moved away the first year of the new arena AND we field a fast break style team that I can't watch, I will be pee-eye-double-ass PISSED. :angry:

I would think that our running game will be entirely dependent on our ability to rebound the basketball. We have the talent and ability in our guards to play a more uptempo game and our new players will help. But if you have to send 3 or 4 guys to get a defensive rebound then it is hard to have a one man fast break! i believe we will be opportunistic and will run off of turnovers and solid rebounds.

from Memphis board: http://ncaabbs.com/

NCAAbbs / CUSAbbs / CUSA Sports Talk / Memphis / Dockery-Finch Tiger Sports Forum / The Scoop on the Scrimmage

Jonathan Dintzer

Group: Water Engineer

I Root For: Redskins

Sure...here's part (can't give it all away) of the report I wrote for my website...

There were two scrimmages, one in the morning and one after lunch before the team bussed back home to Memphis. In the first scrimmage, the first twenty minutes began with the team attacking the basket and being aggressive, making lay-ups and getting to the line a lot, although there were some issues with rebounding which carried over into the second half where the team simply didn't perform very well. The first scrimmage marked John Calipari's worst nightmare as he saw freshman sensation Tyreke Evans turn his ankle, stepping on a defender in the lane while penetrating. Evans did not play again on Saturday and will be re-evaluated over the next few days. He will not participate in the Tigers' exhibition opener against Christian Brothers on Tuesday night at the FedEx Forum. The only positive to take out of this experience for Evans was the fact that before his injury, he was able to penetrate and get into the lane to score seemingly whenever he wanted to.

The second half of the first scrimmage saw the team not playing as hard and allowing too many easy baskets on the defensive end to a few of the young Saint Louis players. The coaching staff intentionally didn't watch tape on the Billikens and didn't go into this event with scouting reports because they wanted to just see how the kids would react and adapt but Saint Louis' top two returning scorers from season ago, Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell III, were non-factors in this initial scrimmage. Wesley Witherspoon and Roburt Sallie took turns switching off on them and did a fantastic job, holding each to only a basket or two along with a couple of free throws.

The second scrimmage following lunch was markedly better, with guys getting back to talking on defense and really putting forth a fine effort. Senior leader Robert Dozier displayed toughness and solid play throughout both sessions. Rebounding, defending and being aggressive inside, Dozier looks to be the force Calipari needs anchoring his interior play this year. His partner in crime inside Shawn Taggart played well in the first scrimmage but struggled defensively after lunch.

Willie Kemp and Doneal Mack had their moments during both sessions but did not blow away the coaching staff, although the same cannot be said for Sallie and Witherspoon. Witherspoon played a fair amount at the point and he showed a great ability to rebound from that spot and also defend different positions. Witherspoon has an opportunity to be an outstanding defender capable of truly guarding a 1-4 on the opposing team. On offense, he's a match-up nightmare because of his size, length and ability to handle. At times the freshman was going so fast on offense that he would get out of control but he too was able to get into the lane with ease. Sallie was hot on Saturday, making shots from all over the floor, making a lot of three-pointers and playing great defense on Lisch, the Billikens leading scorer. Most impressively, both Sallie and Witherspoon were very active and aggressive defensively throughout both scrimmages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

memphiscourtside.com

Cowboy may have been confusing my statement about the UCLA scrimmage with the Billiken/Memphis scrimmage. The UCLA scrimmage was a 'blue-white' type scrimmage that they could have opened to all but instead chose to limit to select boosters, season ticket holders, and media (and that is their only 'open' session until the first exhibition game). The Billiken/Memphis scrimmage is governed by NCAA rules so it must be a completely closed gym to comply with the rules.

rick said certain boosters would be attending, he said anyone could go if they gave enough, maybe it was just Dr Chaifetz and his wife, who knows

from Memphis board: http://ncaabbs.com/

NCAAbbs / CUSAbbs / CUSA Sports Talk / Memphis / Dockery-Finch Tiger Sports Forum / The Scoop on the Scrimmage

Jonathan Dintzer

Group: Water Engineer

I Root For: Redskins

Sure...here's part (can't give it all away) of the report I wrote for my website...

There were two scrimmages, one in the morning and one after lunch before the team bussed back home to Memphis. In the first scrimmage, the first twenty minutes began with the team attacking the basket and being aggressive, making lay-ups and getting to the line a lot, although there were some issues with rebounding which carried over into the second half where the team simply didn't perform very well. The first scrimmage marked John Calipari's worst nightmare as he saw freshman sensation Tyreke Evans turn his ankle, stepping on a defender in the lane while penetrating. Evans did not play again on Saturday and will be re-evaluated over the next few days. He will not participate in the Tigers' exhibition opener against Christian Brothers on Tuesday night at the FedEx Forum. The only positive to take out of this experience for Evans was the fact that before his injury, he was able to penetrate and get into the lane to score seemingly whenever he wanted to.

The second half of the first scrimmage saw the team not playing as hard and allowing too many easy baskets on the defensive end to a few of the young Saint Louis players. The coaching staff intentionally didn't watch tape on the Billikens and didn't go into this event with scouting reports because they wanted to just see how the kids would react and adapt but Saint Louis' top two returning scorers from season ago, Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell III, were non-factors in this initial scrimmage. Wesley Witherspoon and Roburt Sallie took turns switching off on them and did a fantastic job, holding each to only a basket or two along with a couple of free throws.

The second scrimmage following lunch was markedly better, with guys getting back to talking on defense and really putting forth a fine effort. Senior leader Robert Dozier displayed toughness and solid play throughout both sessions. Rebounding, defending and being aggressive inside, Dozier looks to be the force Calipari needs anchoring his interior play this year. His partner in crime inside Shawn Taggart played well in the first scrimmage but struggled defensively after lunch.

Willie Kemp and Doneal Mack had their moments during both sessions but did not blow away the coaching staff, although the same cannot be said for Sallie and Witherspoon. Witherspoon played a fair amount at the point and he showed a great ability to rebound from that spot and also defend different positions. Witherspoon has an opportunity to be an outstanding defender capable of truly guarding a 1-4 on the opposing team. On offense, he's a match-up nightmare because of his size, length and ability to handle. At times the freshman was going so fast on offense that he would get out of control but he too was able to get into the lane with ease. Sallie was hot on Saturday, making shots from all over the floor, making a lot of three-pointers and playing great defense on Lisch, the Billikens leading scorer. Most impressively, both Sallie and Witherspoon were very active and aggressive defensively throughout both scrimmages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

memphiscourtside.com

I realize that this report is biased, but it sure is sobering at the same time for the Billiken faithful (at least this one). Sounds like the Bills' defense is not where RM would like it to be yet, and if the description of Memphis' defensive focus on Kevin and Tommie is indicative of how teams are going to approach the Billikens this year, the freshmen (-men, not singular) are sure going to have to step up early and often to fill the void offensively if we are going to have a good season.

The silver lining is if this report is anywhere near accurate, and yet the Bills hung tough with Memphis for good stretches of the scrimmage as was reportedly reported elsewhere, the freshman must have stepped it up pretty well for their first encounter.

Still can't wait for the games to begin; hope still springs eternal - but the hope is a bit more tempered.

Throwing the "BilliKids" up against the 13th team int he nation --- I guess I'd ask what were you expecting? Throwing them into this fire can be expected -- it beats the hell out of playing another exhibition game in my book. But then I'd also look at the schedule and go back to those complaining about it. I understand the complaints, but if you throw the "Kids" into a schedule of teams like Memphis, they're liable to get destroyed and lose confidence. Nothing is harder to overcome in any sporting event like loss of confidence. Its going to be a "crawl, walk" year ----- not a "run" year.

I think what I get from the above is that Memphis understood, without any tape review or advance scouting, that you shut down the two seniors, you shut downthe Bills. I for one have been saying that I am extremely happy to have two senior, all-conference potential players back and feel that with those two, the prospects are bright enough. Much brighter than if we had all freshmen (as the rst of the roster is). However, the line above about two defenders shutting down Lisch and Liddell is worrisome. We cannot let that happens this year. One must be on at all times; having both on will really determine where this season goes. Having both off or defended as such --- well, that will be difficult until some other option steps up. Doesn't really sound like its going to be BE either. And we all know it won't be Eckerle. That's what I'll be looking for as the first few season games go on ---- which freshman (or two or three) seems to be ready for the spotlight? Who is the BilliKid most likely to step up and contribute right away --- recognizing that its probably going to require two or three to figure it out and do that fast.

Throwing the "BilliKids" up against the 13th team int he nation --- I guess I'd ask what were you expecting? Throwing them into this fire can be expected -- it beats the hell out of playing another exhibition game in my book. But then I'd also look at the schedule and go back to those complaining about it. I understand the complaints, but if you throw the "Kids" into a schedule of teams like Memphis, they're liable to get destroyed and lose confidence. Nothing is harder to overcome in any sporting event like loss of confidence. Its going to be a "crawl, walk" year ----- not a "run" year.

I think what I get from the above is that Memphis understood, without any tape review or advance scouting, that you shut down the two seniors, you shut downthe Bills. I for one have been saying that I am extremely happy to have two senior, all-conference potential players back and feel that with those two, the prospects are bright enough. Much brighter than if we had all freshmen (as the rst of the roster is). However, the line above about two defenders shutting down Lisch and Liddell is worrisome. We cannot let that happens this year. One must be on at all times; having both on will really determine where this season goes. Having both off or defended as such --- well, that will be difficult until some other option steps up. Doesn't really sound like its going to be BE either. And we all know it won't be Eckerle. That's what I'll be looking for as the first few season games go on ---- which freshman (or two or three) seems to be ready for the spotlight? Who is the BilliKid most likely to step up and contribute right away --- recognizing that its probably going to require two or three to figure it out and do that fast.

From last year's scrimmage, Memphis had a pretty good idea who KL and TL were so they really did not have to watch tape of them. I agree, anybody who thought this young SLU team was going to be the Michigan Fab 5 was simply in denial. RM, while he has his foibles knows BB and knows what he is doing. I just hope this year is not a repeat of last year from some fans. RM said we had deficiencies and it would take 3 years before we would be good but there were those who ignored his comments and were predicting a NCAA trip and winning the A10. As fans we need to pay attention to the words RM says. From the two times I have heard him talk about this year's team it sounds to me that this will be a repeat of last year - a struggle to play 500 ball. I know KL and TL are seniors but they can not play 2 on 5 and expect to win many games. I am simply looking for this year's team to have the freshmen improve throughout the year and the team begin playing better in January then in November. In a couple of years I believe this team will be one to reckon with but not this year.

rick said certain boosters would be attending, he said anyone could go if they gave enough, maybe it was just Dr Chaifetz and his wife, who knows

I think he may have been referring to practice, not the Memphis Scrimmage. That was totally closed to anyone outside of the staff.

One thing I did hear that may give us a little more hope is that Tommie played extremely well and got a lot of good shots but could not get them to go down. Let's hope that he can find the range this year.

One thing I did hear that may give us a little more hope is that Tommie played extremely well and got a lot of good shots but could not get them to go down. Let's hope that he can find the range this year.

Thanks for all the updates, as limited as they are. Good to see you posting again.

I think he may have been referring to practice, not the Memphis Scrimmage. That was totally closed to anyone outside of the staff.

Yes, the scrimmage may have been totally closed, but if that is the case, then the team manager or assistant coach likes to leak info and post to their fans. Just like last year, Memphis fans got details of how their team did while we are left to read Memphis reports. Last year, the scrimage was in Memphis and this year here at Chafeitz, right?

Guess Calipari tolerates or approves the leaks whereas RM does not.

I couldn't agree more. We're going up against the National Champion runner-up and a squad full of McDonald's All-Americans. We have a bunch of freshman who have never played against anybody except other freshman. If they didn't get completely dominated, I take that as a good sign. I was a pretty big critic of the schedule, but the more I think about it, the more I am coming along. It would be one thing if these guys had people to practice against...but they don't. They are basically going against guys that have the same experience as them. I take the reports as a positive. Thanks for sharing.

No one outside of the teams and the staff are allowed to watch. What I heard was that the team played hard and held their own for long periods. Memphis had two stars injured so they could not play. I believe the staff is very happy with Lisch, Lidell and the freshmen.

At the meet and greet last week Majerus mentioned that a select group of SLU fans / donors would be attending the Memphis practice. He said if they donated enough money anyone could go.

At the meet and greet last week Majerus mentioned that a select group of SLU fans / donors would be attending the Memphis practice. He said if they donated enough money anyone could go.

I doubt that he said that but if he did he was referring to a lunch that was held with him and others at the arena in the club between the two scrimmages. I attended that function and I can promise you that they were very insistant that none of us who attended could watch even one minute of the scrimmage. I was hoping to sneak a peek but they were really vigilant about the blackout. Coach did give some private comments and his views of the team this coming year and I posted a broad overview because the comments were not intended for an internet chat board.