National TV

dewey33

According to the A-10 website:

Our women and our men have the same number of ESPN games = 0

Our women and men have the same number of home games on CSTV = 1

Men have 3 more on CSTV.....PATHETIC

No radio or TV package has yet to be announced.

If we get off to a slow start, we may become irrelevant.

According to the A-10 website:

Our women and our men have the same number of ESPN games = 0

Our women and men have the same number of home games on CSTV = 1

Men have 3 more on CSTV.....PATHETIC

No radio or TV package has yet to be announced.

If we get off to a slow start, we may become irrelevant.

It's not looking good. I'm hoping there's some good news in the next couple of weeks. I thought the RM ties to ESPN would land at least a couple of games on there each year. SLU's schedule might not be appealing enough this year. Let's hope we gets some wins and change this around.

I thought the RM ties to ESPN would land at least a couple of games on there each year.

Coach Majerus's former position at ESPN doesn't sell sponsorships on the network. They don't care about Rick's former contributions; they care about how much revenue a game can produce. SLU doesn't have "sex appeal" for ESPN.

Coach Majerus's former position at ESPN doesn't sell sponsorships on the network. They don't care about Rick's former contributions; they care about how much revenue a game can produce. SLU doesn't have "sex appeal" for ESPN.

You're saying RM isn't sexy?

Seriuosly, I was hoping that RM's history of success and ties to the network would have at least put SLU on the ESPN2 one time this year. It's not like he's coaching a D2 team. BC is a decent name school, big market, big conference. The schedule isn't outstanding, but it's not like every game is against UMSL. I guess that game might be early enough that it conflcits with football.

:angry:

Quite unfair for us west coast fans! I assume CSTV is a local or midwest thing?

Didn't you have at least 2 ESPN games last season?

Bill

CSTV = CBS College Sports Network - It is available on DirecTV, Dish and some local Cable Networks.

Men's

Thu. - Jan. 8 - Saint Louis at Xavier (8:00)

Thu. - Jan. 22 - Saint Louis at Temple (8:00)

Thu. - Jan. 29 - Saint Louis at Dayton (8:00)

Wed. - Feb. 18 - Saint Joseph's at Saint Louis (10:00)

Women's

Mon. - Jan. 12 - Fordham at Saint Louis (8:00)

I am assuming the start times listed are Eastern. Complete A-10 schedule is here:

A-10 Basketball Nationall Television Schedule

You're saying RM isn't sexy?

Seriuosly, I was hoping that RM's history of success and ties to the network would have at least put SLU on the ESPN2 one time this year. It's not like he's coaching a D2 team. BC is a decent name school, big market, big conference. The schedule isn't outstanding, but it's not like every game is against UMSL. I guess that game might be early enough that it conflcits with football.

You're right, not every game is UMSL. Instead, there is Savannah State, USC Upstate, Samford, Liberty, UMBC, North Carolina A&T. Other than BC and possibly DePaul, what great interest is there to a national audience? As a local Billiken fan, I'd love to see every game on ESPN on prime time and in full HD. Realistically, though, how much interest is there to the average national basketball fan? What game on the schedule screams of national, or even regional, interest? Answer: None.

Until SLU wins games and either becomes the marquee team itself or proves that it is worthy of a challenge by decent BCS schools, our schedule will not improve and our TV exposure will continue to be non-existent.

You're right, not every game is UMSL. Instead, there is Savannah State, USC Upstate, Samford, Liberty, UMBC, North Carolina A&T. Other than BC and possibly DePaul, what great interest is there to a national audience? As a local Billiken fan, I'd love to see every game on ESPN on prime time and in full HD. Realistically, though, how much interest is there to the average national basketball fan? What game on the schedule screams of national, or even regional, interest? Answer: None.

Until SLU wins games and either becomes the marquee team itself or proves that it is worthy of a challenge by decent BCS schools, our schedule will not improve and our TV exposure will continue to be non-existent.

This stinks. This TV schedule is reminiscent of the MCC days.

What about the SIU game? Every year my golfing buddies (who are SIU grads) get together for beer and chili and watch the SIU game. What a bummer!

I thought the RM ties to ESPN would land at least a couple of games on there each year.

he has to be willing to use those ties. at this point all i have seen from rickma is a desire to run practices and coach games.

he has to be willing to use those ties. at this point all i have seen from rickma is a desire to run practices and coach games.

Agree. But I will add to your list: recruit. He was in central Mississippi, Austrailia, various AAU camps, etc. RM knows we were not good last year and that we have a long way to go this year. Hence: the weak schedule and continued relative "hiding" from the media.

Agree. But I will add to your list: recruit. He was in central Mississippi, Austrailia, various AAU camps, etc. RM knows we were not good last year and that we have a long way to go this year. Hence: the weak schedule and continued relative "hiding" from the media.

I wouldn´t call it hiding. I would say he is busting his ass to make sure his reputation stays intact.

-what about the bclub meeting he attended?

-what about the bclub meeting in 2 weeks he is scheduled to attend?

-waht about his radio show last season/

-what about his weekly appearance on Frank's show last season?

-what about the gathering in the Busch center last season?

-what about him going to see hillary? :angry:

-what about recruiting?

-just because his efforts in your eyes are not enough, don't disregard the efforts he has undertaken

-do i like everything, not really, but at this point i still trust rick and the plan he has to get us where we need to be

Again --- crawl, walk, run ....

We are not going to get anything on TV until we win. Rick Majerus has no real pull in that area. When Rick and his team win, that will change. Team get on ESPN and ESPN2 based on pull, rivalries, record, whatever. We just don't have that. Putting on the tube to watch Rick stand on the sideline with his hands on his knees and coach isn't riveting TV. I don't recall him getting similar airplay when he was at Utah with the exceptions of "Big Monday" and that was a conference deal, not a Utah or Rick Majerus deal. We are still suffering the effects of some down A-10 years in terms of good talent and good teams and a commissioner who just either did not get it, or coudln't to much with it. Rome was not built in a day. We are currently insignificant outside the good, the bad and the ugly on this board. That is a fact. In the A-10 right now, we are behind Xavier, Temple, St. Joe's, Umass, Dayton, possibly Rhode Island and even maybe Charlotte in terms of teams with winning upsides. We are not even the feel good story of the A-10 that some might think Chafeitz makes us --- Richmond's rebirth, Duquesne's resurgence and even La Salle's programs might be ranked, by some, as ahead of us. You have to win first. Plain and simple.

When I was in town with that tall guy in the bowles of the Fetz, I asked why our schedule is as lacking as it is this year. He said two issues ..... #1) the realtive youth of the squad and #2) while Majerus has some cachet, teams of caliber don't want to come in now and becoming marks on the wall. Rather, they are more inclined to wait, let Majerus use some others to buil dhis luster back up, and then do the schedule thing and come calling. It might be only then that Majerus' former persona will be able to help the current persona and get games. Kind of makes some goofy sense if you want to call it that. Because let's also remember that this program is a graveyarad to coachs. Not a one, outside of Romar, has used it to jump up in the world. The jury is still out on whether or not Rick is going to break that mold or if SLU breaks Rick.

Again --- crawl, walk, run ....

We are not going to get anything on TV until we win. Rick Majerus has no real pull in that area. When Rick and his team win, that will change. Team get on ESPN and ESPN2 based on pull, rivalries, record, whatever. We just don't have that. Putting on the tube to watch Rick stand on the sideline with his hands on his knees and coach isn't riveting TV. I don't recall him getting similar airplay when he was at Utah with the exceptions of "Big Monday" and that was a conference deal, not a Utah or Rick Majerus deal. We are still suffering the effects of some down A-10 years in terms of good talent and good teams and a commissioner who just either did not get it, or coudln't to much with it. Rome was not built in a day. We are currently insignificant outside the good, the bad and the ugly on this board. That is a fact. In the A-10 right now, we are behind Xavier, Temple, St. Joe's, Umass, Dayton, possibly Rhode Island and even maybe Charlotte in terms of teams with winning upsides. We are not even the feel good story of the A-10 that some might think Chafeitz makes us --- Richmond's rebirth, Duquesne's resurgence and even La Salle's programs might be ranked, by some, as ahead of us. You have to win first. Plain and simple.

When I was in town with that tall guy in the bowles of the Fetz, I asked why our schedule is as lacking as it is this year. He said two issues ..... #1) the realtive youth of the squad and #2) while Majerus has some cachet, teams of caliber don't want to come in now and becoming marks on the wall. Rather, they are more inclined to wait, let Majerus use some others to buil dhis luster back up, and then do the schedule thing and come calling. It might be only then that Majerus' former persona will be able to help the current persona and get games. Kind of makes some goofy sense if you want to call it that. Because let's also remember that this program is a graveyarad to coachs. Not a one, outside of Romar, has used it to jump up in the world. The jury is still out on whether or not Rick is going to break that mold or if SLU breaks Rick.

Taj. Good post. No doubt in my mind that if/when SLU starts really winning and ESPN has a choice between a strong SLU with Majerus and another program of equal strong standing but whose coach lacks the name recognition of Majerus, we will win out. Until then, let's hope for FM radio.

Cowboy, you cannot be serious.

Fine, he came to see the loyal boosters once.

Again, his obligatory appearance.

Chemistry with Rammer was awful. Insightfull in some ways but monologue drone in others.

Often missed that 5 minute appearance. Every coach (Mizzou, Illini, MO St., SIUC and SLU) was one the show.

Again, one appearance. No midnight madness. Not a whole lot for a new HOF coach in my opinion.

-what about recruiting?

I mentioned previously, we has shown real interest IMO.

-just because his efforts in your eyes are not enough, don't disregard the efforts he has undertaken

-do i like everything, not really, but at this point i still trust rick and the plan he has to get us where we need to be

In addition to your list, don't forget his frequent failure to appear for post-game radio shows.

I still say he truly lacks much to be proud about and is not shaking the trees with the national media (or doing alot locally with the fans/alums and with the local media) until things change. Believe that RM has real high standards and a nice effort against X and a strong performance against GW after the 21 point embarrassment is nothing to brag about. When we win 20 games and put together a few strong recruiting classes, the media attention will come and I doubt RM will hide then. Instead, he will say he cannot appear for all and will have to select which media he grants access to and which he does not.

-what about recruiting?

he came to one billiken club meeting. romar and soderberg didnt miss but one meeting in 10 years.

glad to hear he is going to be at the next billiken club meeting. one would think they would announce such beyond you telling us.

everyone of our previous four coaches had radio shows and spots with frank.

if we are going to brag about recruiting efforts, shouldnt we get more than one player committed before we throw that on the plus side?

did he use any of his contacts to try to enhance this pitiful home schedule we have this year?

did he use his espn contacts to try to swing a game?

how much have we heard from him on radio tv since march?

as clock detailed, no midnight madness and no post game shows, and add to that no post season banquet to honor our departing seniors.

look the guy is a legend. but a legend is only going to be as effective as what he does with that. if he doesnt want to do the heavy lifting at least find a school rep to play that part.

:angry:

Quite unfair for us west coast fans! I assume CSTV is a local or midwest thing?

Didn't you have at least 2 ESPN games last season?

Bill

CSTV should be national. That is, if you have a provider that picks up that channel. CSTV will produce some games and sell to local outlets, but I believe we are talking about national games in this context.

I was told in an email by Doug McIlhagga (dated 2/18/2007) that they will have streaming video in the new arena...that it "wouldn't be a problem" (I still have that email Doug!). So, I'm cautiously optimistic that we will at least get to watch every home game via the internet. I'm not getting my hopes up because...well...we seem to be the last school in the nation that uses this technology and I just don't have a lot of faith. Even if we don't, we'll get to watch about 75% of our AWAY games online. It's not the best, but with technology improving and a halfway decent computer, it definitely gets the job done for the diehards.

I'm also still optimistic that we can get a game on ESPN. Sometimes those deal get done late.

They did announce that RM is suppose to be at this months Billiken Club meeting. It's also being held at Lorenzos[sp] in the Chaif.

What's the date of the meeting? I used to get postcards in the mail announcing the meetings, but I guess they're not doing that any more.

he came to one billiken club meeting. romar and soderberg didnt miss but one meeting in 10 years.

glad to hear he is going to be at the next billiken club meeting. one would think they would announce such beyond you telling us.

everyone of our previous four coaches had radio shows and spots with frank.

if we are going to brag about recruiting efforts, shouldnt we get more than one player committed before we throw that on the plus side?

did he use any of his contacts to try to enhance this pitiful home schedule we have this year?

did he use his espn contacts to try to swing a game?

how much have we heard from him on radio tv since march?

as clock detailed, no midnight madness and no post game shows, and add to that no post season banquet to honor our departing seniors.

look the guy is a legend. but a legend is only going to be as effective as what he does with that. if he doesnt want to do the heavy lifting at least find a school rep to play that part.

Roy. Just to clarify. I am not praising RM for this year's recruiting results. Still way too early. We have 1 in the fold and hopefully we get 3 more by November. Instead, I am praising RM for his efforts in recruiting. Last year's class speaks for itself. Believe he also tried hard with Harrelson and others in the Spring. Cotto and Cassity were Spring additions but I was hoping for a JUCO type. Still, he's been around the country and even in Austrailia recruiting. IMO, the effort appears to be there and shows me alot more passion for recruiting than in appeasing the local fans with post-game spots. Along those lines, I will miss Paul B. who I did think was excellent in giving interviews.

In short. I have no problem with RM not doing everything. Believe you call it "heavy lifting." Instead, I want, and believe we are entitled to, another person at SLU to actively speak for SLU and be another "face" for the program. If this falls to Chris May or one of the assistants, then get him on the radio, tv, internet - and do it frequently.

Comparisons have been made to the Blues. HC Andy Murray is not the only face for the Blues - instead, it's John Davidson. In the past, owner/President Michael Shannahan was also another face. For the Cardinals, we not hear from LaRussa but also from Mozalek (before that Jocketty).

Roy. Just to clarify. I am not praising RM for this year's recruiting results. Still way too early. We have 1 in the fold and hopefully we get 3 more by November. Instead, I am praising RM for his efforts in recruiting. Last year's class speaks for itself. Believe he also tried hard with Harrelson and others in the Spring. Cotto and Cassity were Spring additions but I was hoping for a JUCO type. Still, he's been around the country and even in Austrailia recruiting. IMO, the effort appears to be there and shows me alot more passion for recruiting than in appeasing the local fans with post-game spots. Along those lines, I will miss Paul B. who I did think was excellent in giving interviews.

In short. I have no problem with RM not doing everything. Believe you call it "heavy lifting." Instead, I want, and believe we are entitled to, another person at SLU to actively speak for SLU and be another "face" for the program. If this falls to Chris May or one of the assistants, then get him on the radio, tv, internet - and do it frequently.

Comparisons have been made to the Blues. HC Andy Murray is not the only face for the Blues - instead, it's John Davidson. In the past, owner/President Michael Shannahan was also another face. For the Cardinals, we not hear from LaRussa but also from Mozalek (before that Jocketty).

all i know is we are at a time with a new arena, a hall of fame coach and two returning future billiken hall of fame players where we have enough good stuff to talk about. instead the billikens are as quiet as they have ever been less that two weeks before the first practice. in year's past the head coach tried to be visible and pick up the slack when we didnt have near as much to talk about. like i said, if not rickma, then get moser, or jensen or may or wright heck get the guy that takes the parking lot tickets when you pull out. surely someone can try to be visible for saint louis university.

-you have views different than rick on how to get us to the level we all want

-we know that

-you believe your view is correct

-rick believes his view is correct

-as i said, i am siding with rick

-do you know rick did not approach espn?

-there have been several posts on this board defending the schedule and giving the reasons why the schedule is as it is, but you don't want to see those reasons, just complain

-i do not believe each of the past 4 coaches had a scheduled time with frank

-it is perhaps misleading to compare eras as rick has more cards to play with than any previous coach, but i expect he will have better teams consistently than any of the 4 previous coaches (but there are also some counters to this)

-you keep bringing up the media, in mine and others opinions, slu is not going to get press after their season ends at this point, but you continue to foster this notion that it is owed to us, it simply is not

-i don't mind not havin midnight madness, i hope he is coaching the kids after the game since he is not on radio and i would like to ask the seniors what he or the program did for them before saying no banquet is a bad thing - maybe he got them all jobs who knows????

-the heavy lifting is winning and i expect that will come

i would like to ask the seniors what he or the program did for them before saying no banquet is a bad thing - maybe he got them all jobs who knows????

-the heavy lifting is winning and i expect that will come

as in every job, imo the "heavy lifting" is doing the aspects you dont like to do and doing it with the same vigor, enthusiasm, and success as the parts you love doing. rickma obviously wants to coach and that is it. if he was the high school coach at kirkwood that would be ok, but the truth is he is a division one head coach and there is as much expectations off the court as on for a successful d-1 program. it is all inter related and if the whole program doesnt evolve from all aspects, it will affect the rest or at least retard the progress.

i admit rickma brings far more to the table on other aspects than any previous coach in slu history, but that only makes it that much more frustrating to see the full picture being ignored on the other aspects.

as to your point it would be ok if he did something else for the seniors, i would think he could have done both did something else like find career opps and participate in a seniors awards banquet.

seriously, what demands would it have added to his life if he would have honored the seniors one night after the season? i mean it wasnt like he would have had to personally write invitations, ordered the beer and wine, reserved the hall, decorated tables, cooked the meal and then delivered cake after the meal.

all rickma had to do was say, "boy that is nice" show up, have a hearty meal. get up and talk nicely about the team for 40 minutes and then head home. small price to pay for 4 of our kids last days as a billiken.