101.1 to become all sports talk on January 1st

billiken_roy

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...1F?OpenDocument

as brian stated a few weeks ago.

maybe this is going to be the new home of the billikens? from a reception standpoint it would be nice.

I wonder if Ramsey will still do the games if he is still on 590

-when we were on KMOX for a few years Ramsay did the games and still worked for KFNS, who knows what would happen now, but remember, according to the article they are not going all sports until Jan 1, so would you have slu games for 6 weeks on a music station? how would that help? how would that be promoted? although maybe good for the long haul, what the heck, give it try

-PLEASE NO BRIAN BURWELL ON THIS STATION!!!!!

I wonder if Ramsey will still do the games if he is still on 590

I would hope that they would go after Ramsey especially if they would get the Billikens. The program Ramsey is on now is god-awful. Fescoe might be St. Louis's all time worst talk show guy,yes even worse then Monty. I think this is what May has been waiting for. I'm not sure how you would handle the first half of the year but I know the money from KFNS was not good.

I would hope that they would go after Ramsey especially if they would get the Billikens. The program Ramsey is on now is god-awful. Fescoe might be St. Louis's all time worst talk show guy,yes even worse then Monty. I think this is what May has been waiting for. I'm not sure how you would handle the first half of the year but I know the money from KFNS was not good.

Ramsey is an employee of SLU - SLU does not have to go get him they have him already. The issue is what his contract with 590 says he can and can not do.

Ramsey is an employee of SLU - SLU does not have to go get him they have him already. The issue is what his contract with 590 says he can and can not do.

we need to get away from the weak signal we have suffered most recently; Randy Carriker(sp?) would be a real bad fit for SLU; he has never appeared to follow us or have a good word for us in the past. He has paid more attention to the Blues and Mizzou and any station will have to cover those markets as well. Ramsey and Frank Cusmano are backers and we need them as much as we need 100,000 watts vs barely 50,000

-when we were on KMOX for a few years Ramsay did the games and still worked for KFNS, who knows what would happen now, but remember, according to the article they are not going all sports until Jan 1, so would you have slu games for 6 weeks on a music station? how would that help? how would that be promoted? although maybe good for the long haul, what the heck, give it try

-PLEASE NO BRIAN BURWELL ON THIS STATION!!!!!

Burwell was fired from KFNS by the guy who's going to run 101.1.

we need to get away from the weak signal we have suffered most recently; Randy Carriker(sp?) would be a real bad fit for SLU; he has never appeared to follow us or have a good word for us in the past. He has paid more attention to the Blues and Mizzou and any station will have to cover those markets as well. Ramsey and Frank Cusmano are backers and we need them as much as we need 100,000 watts vs barely 50,000

Give me the wattage any day of the week. I read a lot of posts by people who made comments like: "I'd rather be the #1 team on KFNS" than be on another station. I think that flat out wrong. Look at the ratings for KFNS. No one is listening.

Being the #1 team on KFNS is like being Anthony Michael Hall in Sixteen Candles...King of the Dips$%#. I'm hoping SLU gets on a station that you can hear when your drive below an overpass.

IMO, if someone is being paid to hype SLU they'll do a decent enough job. Broadcasters flip flop on teams all of the time.

3 sports talk stations?????

We are going to run out of people to host the shows. St. Louisans won't listen to someone from out of town.

This will be a dilemma for SLU though. Sign with the new station and don't get airplay until the new year or sign with 590 or 1380 and either of them could be out of business before the end of the season.

3 sports talk stations?????

We are going to run out of people to host the shows. St. Louisans won't listen to someone from out of town.

This will be a dilemma for SLU though. Sign with the new station and don't get airplay until the new year or sign with 590 or 1380 and either of them could be out of business before the end of the season.

It can still be a music station and run our games....

St. Louis has the worst sports radio "personalities" in the country, they are either rah rah or obnoxious....

Give me the wattage any day of the week. I read a lot of posts by people who made comments like: "I'd rather be the #1 team on KFNS" than be on another station. I think that flat out wrong. Look at the ratings for KFNS. No one is listening.

Being the #1 team on KFNS is like being Anthony Michael Hall in Sixteen Candles...King of the Dips$%#. I'm hoping SLU gets on a station that you can hear when your drive below an overpass.

IMO, if someone is being paid to hype SLU they'll do a decent enough job. Broadcasters flip flop on teams all of the time.

I am not a Randy Karracker (pro-Mizzou guy who has no use for SLU); however, if SLU hired him, at least one negative voice would disappear and we'd increase the number of pro-SLU media personalities in St. Louis by 50% - we'd go from 2 (Frank and Bob) all the way up to 3.

I am not a Randy Karracker (pro-Mizzou guy who has no use for SLU); however, if SLU hired him, at least one negative voice would disappear and we'd increase the number of pro-SLU media personalities in St. Louis by 50% - we'd go from 2 (Frank and Bob) all the way up to 3.

Karracer would have an ethical problem in one of his sidekcks, "Fish" might have to convert as well; a friend called me this morning to say Congress is having hearings about the financial crisis and now they are saying 68 Trillion dollars of debt world wide is invoved-it can't be too long before really good politicians are going to demand more than a couple of million dollards or a house in the Carolinas, or rent abated apartments in NYC before they have time for their "constituants". So maybe we had better buy Karracker before we have to pay him what Slaten gets.

It may be time to clean the old wheelbarrow if we are going to take money to the bank as the Treasury is starting to print new money as we speak

Burwell was fired from KFNS by the guy who's going to run 101.1.

Burwell is probably going to end up at the station. The only problem I have ever had with Burwell was the Anderson lovefest for part of last year. Burwell has been a fan of SLU in past. I think he is the best writer the Post has. He is also the most knowledgable basketball writer at the paper.

Burwell is probably going to end up at the station. The only problem I have ever had with Burwell was the Anderson lovefest for part of last year. Burwell has been a fan of SLU in past. I think he is the best writer the Post has. He is also the most knowledgable basketball writer at the paper.

Burwell surprises me with a well written column more than once in a while; however, he seems redundant on headline material

as often he seems to being doing the flip side of the same story another writer is writing. So maybe he needs a manager that tells him what to talk about or write about as the need be.

I also would enjoy his columns much more if he didn't feel a need to play the race card so often. It is the sports page after all and it is not like sports is segregated; I think Curt Flood took care of that at least locally. I do wish football could figure out a way to make trades happen when you have injuries it kills your season.

Burwell surprises me with a well written column more than once in a while; however, he seems redundant on headline material

as often he seems to being doing the flip side of the same story another writer is writing. So maybe he needs a manager that tells him what to talk about or write about as the need be.

I also would enjoy his columns much more if he didn't feel a need to play the race card so often. It is the sports page after all and it is not like sports is segregated; I think Curt Flood took care of that at least locally. I do wish football could figure out a way to make trades happen when you have injuries it kills your season.

So race is no longer an issue in sports? Curt Flood solved all local sports race issues? Burwell's writing about race in sports is "playing the race card"?

I sure hope you're not serious.

So race is no longer an issue in sports? Curt Flood solved all local sports race issues? Burwell's writing about race in sports is "playing the race card"?

I sure hope you're not serious.

I'm serious about the fact that among pro players I believe all players get a more than fair shake based on their ability and the contracts pay them adequately for their service to society. Do I think there is no racism? No I was not saying that. But I also think that Bryan Burwell needs to develop more things to write about if he wants to keep all of the pulblic interested in his writing. This is the sports page not op-ed

Pick a celebrity with a TV following and if his material gets stale he will disappear. That was my point. I find Bryan Burwell a talented writer who does not have enough subjects to fill a column everyday. Pretty much what I think of Jerry Seinfeld and Flip Wilson. They had their day; that being said I don;t think he has saturated his audience to the extent that we will see him move on or off, yet. It is the same as posters here who want to complain about our

coaches recruiting of local players when we haven't even seen this year's team, yet, the subject and complaint gets old if no one does any legwork to

get fresh information from an assistant coach. Who is getting access? If no poster has been to the new building since seat selection well that is pretty old news to keep re shuffling.

I really read Bryan Burwell more often than I read Bernie because mostly I think Bernie piles on after someone else has made the tackle. and Bryan usually has a spot on the front page that is easy to get to.

Curt Flood did nothing to solve race issues just changed the free agency system to a point where we have escalating ticket prices and economics that

may exclude a lot of poor people from taking their family to a professional ball game. Owners who try to live withiin salary caps in football get beaten

by San Francisco consistantly in the 1980's I don't understand all of the mechanisms for beating the cap but they surely did.

I believe there was a Holocaust and I believe that Sandy Kofax may have been the best pitcher in baseball for 4 or 5 years- very few worked at his level.

Mostly, I believe it is just the sports page and they have too many writers writing abou the same things and too few pages on local and national business

and local and national good works or nice things that happen to effect change in how we live. The New York Times has a science section every Tuesday

How hard can that be to come up with? If we are going to pay more money for our newspagers we need to get something besides classifieds and fish wrapping. How about really interviewing a player each week. Where did he or she go to school? Do they live in St. Louis? Are they rasing a family. Are

they adjusting to the midwest? Do they golf or swim or fish or go to the movies on their off day. Are they working on a degree? Are they going on a neat vacation in the off season? All we get is the goat or the luckiest person of the day saying I happen to be up when an oopportunity arose and i was fortunate to take advantage of it. I put my pants on one leg at a time and we never think about who we are playing next week. It is the same o same o

There are a group of editors who collated a book about a year ago that reported all of the wonderful things that were done by average Americans and

extraordinary Americans who happen to be multi cultural or non 'white" which is a color that I think really misses the point-I have never seen a truly

white person-we are all shades of some color from pink to almost black. Any way I can't think of the name of the book but suggest if someone knows

they mention it because it talked about the odds of being a black cardiologist versus playing major league baseball or playing in the NBA. It was a really

cool amalgamation of factoids. The P-D could excerpt that book and I would read it everyday. It would be the same as if the P-D would print the Farmer's Almanac everyday; I'd pay to read that if it was handy. I have had subscriptions to many periodicals over my life and once you see the outline

that the May issue always has and the September issue always has you have a choice look forward to what they are going to bring you as an update or

find a new magazine to read the next year for a fresh slant.

Do you have any inside info, or is this just a guess?

Just a guess. Barrett is going to have to repair a lot of bridges he burned in this town`and Burwell would be a good place to start. He has no deal with either of the sports stations in town. Barrett is going to need established local talent to make the station work.

I thought Burwell ran a decent show. Nothing flashy but he was informative.

I listened to Ramsey's show today. It is a trainwreck. I feel bad for him having to work those hacks.

If we do go to 101.1 I'd like to see Earl get a gig hosting a show on local and national hoops, maybe not everyday but once a week at least.

I thought Burwell ran a decent show. Nothing flashy but he was informative.

I listened to Ramsey's show today. It is a trainwreck. I feel bad for him having to work those hacks.

If we do go to 101.1 I'd like to see Earl get a gig hosting a show on local and national hoops, maybe not everyday but once a week at least.

We ought to get an email addy at make it known, bball fans want to hear Earl

We ought to get an email addy at make it known, bball fans want to hear Earl

With all of the windbags who get 15-20 hours of airtime each week, it's amazing the somone as knowledgeable as Earl gets very little recognition in this town. I'd be all for it. It would almsot have to be during the day, though, as Earl is out watching B-team basketball games all week long. :unsure: