Are you satisfied?

moytoy12

I know this question is premature, but we don't have a whole heckuva lot to talk about and there's only so much fantasy football that I can research after one preseason game.

Are you satisfied with the state of the program after one plus year with RM? Or perhaps a better way to ask is, are RM's efforts meeting, exceeding or not meeting your expectations?

My short answer, i'm satisfied with what he has done, but that has waned over the last few months (and maybe that's a product of the offseason). It started with releasing the four players. I don't have any major issues with letting players go, but you better make sure you can fill their spots especially when we are so thin in the front court. Next, the schedule still seems to be a mess. What happened to RM's connections? Third, 2009 recruiting doesn't seem to be going really well, but maybe I was spoiled by last year and i'm being impatient. Fourth, the dearth of information from the Men's bball program is discouraging. Fifth, the loss of assistant coaches is eye-catching even if not a full-on red flag.

I don't consider any of these material issues, but in the aggregate, they do cause some concern. I am obviously still onboard with RM and think he was a homerun for SLU. However, his tenure hasn't been without flaws.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this question is premature, but we don't have a whole heckuva lot to talk about and there's only so much fantasy football that I can research after one preseason game.

Are you satisfied with the state of the program after one plus year with RM? Or perhaps a better way to ask is, are RM's efforts meeting, exceeding or not meeting your expectations?

My short answer, i'm satisfied with what he has done, but that has waned over the last few months (and maybe that's a product of the offseason). It started with releasing the four players. I don't have any major issues with letting players go, but you better make sure you can fill their spots especially when we are so thin in the front court. Next, the schedule still seems to be a mess. What happened to RM's connections? Third, 2009 recruiting doesn't seem to be going really well, but maybe I was spoiled by last year and i'm being impatient. Fourth, the dearth of information from the Men's bball program is discouraging. Fifth, the loss of assistant coaches is eye-catching even if not a full-on red flag.

I don't consider any of these material issues, but in the aggregate, they do cause some concern. I am obviously still onboard with RM and think he was a homerun for SLU. However, his tenure hasn't been without flaws.

I pretty much agree with that. Before I go any further, I'd just like to say that I fully support RM and still think we have a bright future. But, for me, the bright lights are starting to fade a little bit...

First off, the schedule. Rick rolled into STL talking a big game. We continued to hear about how crappy the schedule is and how Rick will be improving that. From what we hear, there really isn't any improvement this year...especially on the home front. Now, we've heard that the schedule may be a little soft to get the guys going, but to me, that contradicts Rick's attitude last year.

I'm not overly thrilled with our player situation since the spring. I really didn't have much problem with Rick letting the players go at the time because the assumption was that he was going to bring in much better players. I don't know if I see that. I think the trade of DM for Cotto is an A+. The rest, not so much. It appears Cassity may be a solid player down the line, but is he worth it at the expense of Relephorde or Mitchell? I'm starting to think not. And Adam...well, I think that was a huge mistake. He's not an all-conference player, but he was adequate out there. As he got more time, he was obviously more comfortable and started to look better. Adam on scholarship would be 100x better than an empty scholarship...or a scholarship to a walk-on caliber player (d. lisch).

Finally, I can't say i was pleased with last years record. I had higher expectations and they were not met. Plain and simple. Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe Rick and the team underachieved....I think it was a combination of the two.

Again, this isn't intended as a Rick bashing post. Just what I feel is an honest assessment of the situation.

I pretty much agree with that. Before I go any further, I'd just like to say that I fully support RM and still think we have a bright future. But, for me, the bright lights are starting to fade a little bit...

First off, the schedule. Rick rolled into STL talking a big game. We continued to hear about how crappy the schedule is and how Rick will be improving that. From what we hear, there really isn't any improvement this year...especially on the home front. Now, we've heard that the schedule may be a little soft to get the guys going, but to me, that contradicts Rick's attitude last year.

Just to point out- Majerus has always favored a weak schedule at the beginning of the year. He made numerous jokes last year that he wished we would have played Lady of the Lake College to get the guys going.

With that said, we better kick a** this year or I am going to be real disappointed.

I think some people's expectations were too high last year and still are too year. RM came in too late to affect last year. He knew that and tried to lower people's expectations but most of the people who write on this board are so passionate about the Billikens and were so excited about RM they did not hear it. Coaches don't play the game, players do, and until RM has a team full of his players - experienced players - he knows it will still be transition time. I think RM knows that this year will be hard as well. All of his players will be freshman. Teams tend not to have great success with a team dominated by freshman. Yes Tommie and Kevin will be back, but two seniors and a questionable junior college transfer are not enough to carry this team to the heights some people on this board seem to expect. The earliest I expect to start to see the type of success people are demanding is next year. If we make the NIT this year, it will be a very good year. While I would be ecstatic if we made the NCAA Tournament, not only do I not expect it, I think it would a huge surprise if we did. Patience is what is needed here.

I also think this is one of the reasons RM is happy to stay quiet and remain off the airwaves in St. Louis. When he has something to talk about and something to get people excited about, he will. Until then, this board's reaction demonstrates why he does not want to get more people in St. Louis 'excited' yet. He does not want to create false expectations that he cannot satisfy. He cannot control the expectations of those of us on the board, but frankly I think many people went overboard with their expectations last year and still are this year.

I enjoy reading the message board because it helps to provide inside information that many of us out-of-town readers cannot access. But in terms of people's expectations for the program, sometimes I think the board leads too much with its heart and not enough with its head. We need passionate supporters of the program, but we also need reasonable expectations.

I think some people's expectations were too high last year and still are too year. RM came in too late to affect last year. He knew that and tried to lower people's expectations but most of the people who write on this board are so passionate about the Billikens and were so excited about RM they did not hear it. Coaches don't play the game, players do, and until RM has a team full of his players - experienced players - he knows it will still be transition time. I think RM knows that this year will be hard as well. All of his players will be freshman. Teams tend not to have great success with a team dominated by freshman. Yes Tommie and Kevin will be back, but two seniors and a questionable junior college transfer are not enough to carry this team to the heights some people on this board seem to expect. The earliest I expect to start to see the type of success people are demanding is next year. If we make the NIT this year, it will be a very good year. While I would be ecstatic if we made the NCAA Tournament, not only do I not expect it, I think it would a huge surprise if we did. Patience is what is needed here.

I also think this is one of the reasons RM is happy to stay quiet and remain off the airwaves in St. Louis. When he has something to talk about and something to get people excited about, he will. Until then, this board's reaction demonstrates why he does not want to get more people in St. Louis 'excited' yet. He does not want to create false expectations that he cannot satisfy. He cannot control the expectations of those of us on the board, but frankly I think many people went overboard with their expectations last year and still are this year.

I enjoy reading the message board because it helps to provide inside information that many of us out-of-town readers cannot access. But in terms of people's expectations for the program, sometimes I think the board leads too much with its heart and not enough with its head. We need passionate supporters of the program, but we also need reasonable expectations.

Very good post. I believe my expectations were too high on the court. But I don't know if they were too high, or if I had any expectations at all, off the court.

Just to point out- Majerus has always favored a weak schedule at the beginning of the year. He made numerous jokes last year that he wished we would have played Lady of the Lake College to get the guys going.

With that said, we better kick a** this year or I am going to be real disappointed.

I have not tried to evaluate from game to game but I think if Cotto is eligible then we will have a fun team to watch who will be dangerous to play if we are shooting the ball well from deep. Our inside game will be weak until at least January as our young guys try to make the transition to D1 and then they hit the conference where we will see some tough inside players so I do not think we can expect much at all from our two new big men. We had better hope that Conklin matures very quikly and our single returning senior on the inside is a much better and tougher player than he was last year. The guards and wing players will be good enough to compete with just about any team and the three new guards with the three returning guards will give us depth and toughness that we have not seen in years. Our shooting will really need to be much better if we are going to "kick a**" because I do not see a lot of rebounding or post up play from the center position. It really is almost impossible to predict how this team will do until we see who is eligible and how the new players mesh with Tommie and Kevin on the court. I sure wish I could go to practice like I did for years. We will need to wait until the first game!

I have not tried to evaluate from game to game but I think if Cotto is eligible then we will have a fun team to watch who will be dangerous to play if we are shooting the ball well from deep. Our inside game will be weak until at least January as our young guys try to make the transition to D1 and then they hit the conference where we will see some tough inside players so I do not think we can expect much at all from our two new big men. We had better hope that Conklin matures very quikly and our single returning senior on the inside is a much better and tougher player than he was last year. The guards and wing players will be good enough to compete with just about any team and the three new guards with the three returning guards will give us depth and toughness that we have not seen in years. Our shooting will really need to be much better if we are going to "kick a**" because I do not see a lot of rebounding or post up play from the center position. It really is almost impossible to predict how this team will do until we see who is eligible and how the new players mesh with Tommie and Kevin on the court. I sure wish I could go to practice like I did for years. We will need to wait until the first game!

billikan, i agree with everything except, "we will not see a lot of rebounding from the center position". i have long believed rebounding is as much about effort and size if not more than skills. i agree they may not be able to be successful getting open for post passes and plays designed to score from them, but they should be able to play defense and rebound regardless.

imo, if our bigs indeed are the real deal even though they may not score, they should be able to defend and rebound. and with lisch and liddell's experience and skills that should equate to at least what we were getting from our inside last season.

our season will go as our freshmen inside goes. if they can play decent defense and rebound, we should have at least an nit like season. if our inside also can give us some surprising offense, i see no reason we cant be even better.

i am not ready to fold this season by any means. i know you arent either, but i expect a good season. tommie and kevin should deliver that with just adequate support imo.

-i admit i was hoping for a miracle with rick, and we may still get that, it just maybe a bit longer than i first realized and so i think i had expectations too high

-i also wish we could match last yr's class, but the reasons given for why we can;t make complete sense to me if i were being recruited, but our counter should be better

-the roster being thin is also something would be a thing of the past

-as to the schedule, it takes two to tango, so if you are marq or depaul or whoever what do you get when you play the 2008/09 saint louis billikens? i think we are a tough team to schedule because we are so young as we could go 10-20 or 20-10 or anywhere in between and our rpi could be 25 or 225 so what does the other team need on their schedule?

-i also wonder about the instability in the asst coaching ranks, this makes me a bit uneasy

-but i am very happy to have rick at the helm and do believe we will be in a much better place in due time

-i do want to see his enthusiasm level when/if they have events in sept/oct where we can get some contact

My two cents: I am disappointed with RM's attitude toward the media and boosters, his closed practices and his tendency to ramble on non-basketball topics (politics, abortion, DNC and Archb Burke) but can deal with it. I am, however, more disappointed with Fr. Biondi and AD May who both appear to be sitting on the sidelines.

As to the schedule, I will withhold judgment until it is finalized but with the new Arena, there should be less excuses. Many teams wanted to play us but were not willing to wait until after the Blues and Circus, etc. to pick dates. Possibly the new intimate setting of the Fetz and RM's reputation are causing teams to be overly scared to play us. Will wait to see.

Asst coach issue does not phase me. This new Austrailian coach greatly impresses me. He seems like a young and energetic salesman who could find us a few diamonds in the rough. Paul B. is not your typical 2nd assistant and we were spoiled to have such a top notch guy - especially at a program which has not had success since the 50's.

Wins and losses from last year is OK for me. Any team led by BH inside and DP at the point and which can still win more games than it losses is good with me. 7 freshmen with bright futures looks good to me.

Had RM landed Harrelson, there would be no discussion like this. I would much rather have taken the chance and lost (open scholarship) than conservatively sit still and hope AK loses that deer in the headlight look and that MR suddenly realizes he is not a guard. BTW, please post those gaudy stats for MR, AK, DM and AM. From what I hear, 6 of the freshmen will contribute, BE looks improved and TL and KL are expected to have really good senior years.

My two cents: I am disappointed with RM's attitude toward the media and boosters, his closed practices and his tendency to ramble on non-basketball topics (politics, abortion, DNC and Archb Burke) but can deal with it. I am, however, more disappointed with Fr. Biondi and AD May who both appear to be sitting on the sidelines.

As to the schedule, I will withhold judgment until it is finalized but with the new Arena, there should be less excuses. Many teams wanted to play us but were not willing to wait until after the Blues and Circus, etc. to pick dates. Possibly the new intimate setting of the Fetz and RM's reputation are causing teams to be overly scared to play us. Will wait to see.

Asst coach issue does not phase me. This new Austrailian coach greatly impresses me. He seems like a young and energetic salesman who could find us a few diamonds in the rough. Paul B. is not your typical 2nd assistant and we were spoiled to have such a top notch guy - especially at a program which has not had success since the 50's.

Wins and losses from last year is OK for me. Any team led by BH inside and DP at the point and which can still win more games than it losses is good with me. 7 freshmen with bright futures looks good to me.

Had RM landed Harrelson, there would be no discussion like this. I would much rather have taken the chance and lost (open scholarship) than conservatively sit still and hope AK loses that deer in the headlight look and that MR suddenly realizes he is not a guard. BTW, please post those gaudy stats for MR, AK, DM and AM. From what I hear, 6 of the freshmen will contribute, BE looks improved and TL and KL are expected to have really good senior years.

Breaking it down by last year's performance, recruiting, scheduling, staff, and this year's expectations.

Last year's performance: Face it, he didn't inherit a team with an abundance of talent. He had 3 1/2 legit D1 players. TL, KL, LM, and DB for a half year. No viable inside game at all. The team's erratic performance was disturbing however. The 20 at GW the loss to St. B's at home. Then the OT loss to Dayton in the A-10. It all made little sense. But I guess you could attribute it to new systems, new A/C's, and adjusting to RM's personality (more on this later). Bottom line: about what was expected.

Recruiting: He hit the ground running with the initial signings. Although, I think a couple, BT and WR, would have been on board with UB. While he didn't bring in a homerun hitter or franchise player, it appears to be a solid class that over time will compete. But at this stage it's still potential. But at least they're his players, so he can't use the step father excuse. This year's recruiting has me concerned. I figured with RM's rep, the new arena (which should turn a recruit's head), and the A-10 getting better we'd have had a verbal or two by now. Also, was pretty bummed we couldn't land a solid JUCO this spring. Can't issue a grade however until the fall and we see whose signing LOI's.

Scheduling: I really can't pass judgement on this. Besides, I think any chance at post season for us will be determined by how we do in conference and at the tourney. So am not too bothered by the lack of marquee names like a Louisville, UNC, etc. And in all honesty this year's squad would not compete well against top tier teams. Why go after a bully if you're still a 98 lb weakling?

Staff: The turnover has me a little concerned. AT was not a surprise. RM's right to clean house of all UB's people. I do think AT was "used" to land some recruits, BT and WR most notably. PB was a surprise though. I thought he wanted back into coaching when he came to us from ESPN. And we were his vehicle. The fact he left for a non coaching gig is a little perplexing given his comments last year. But who really knows. Am sure RM is not the easiest guy in the world to work for, but people will tend to overlook that if you're learning from a genius. While I can't judge the new hire, he seems to be a bit of a light weight compared to PB and PM. Would guess he's RM's bridge into Australia.

This year: I'd expect maybe a game or two improvement over last season with no post season play. Too bad for TL and KL never to have experienced an NCAA tourney. Just too much inexperience and potential talent. Not one of our frosh appears to be the type or have the rep of being an instant impact player. So, am not expecting a great season, but hopeful for a competitive one at the least where we see progress being made game by game.

General comments about RM: In the back of my mind, and am sure some of you have same thoughts, I have the nagging feeling RM may have lost the fire in the belly he had at Utah. Even w/ the new arena and everything else he's got from Biondi, I wonder if he's not having second thoughts about being a coach again. I think this stems from his seemingly total disregard for the media and being any kind of marketing tool for the program. This guy is a national figure, or was. He has to be one of St. Louis' highest profile sport figures, yet he seems to shun the local limelight. I also don't sense the enthusiasm he had when he first took the job. And this is what we need to take advantage of the new building and the new attitude toward hoops at SLU. If this year goes really hard on RM, it wouldn't shock me to see him resign. My gut says he's lost his desire to be a coach. Brich will say I'm in my handwringing mode again.

Breaking it down by last year's performance, recruiting, scheduling, staff, and this year's expectations.

Last year's performance: Face it, he didn't inherit a team with an abundance of talent. He had 3 1/2 legit D1 players. TL, KL, LM, and DB for a half year. No viable inside game at all. The team's erratic performance was disturbing however. The 20 at GW the loss to St. B's at home. Then the OT loss to Dayton in the A-10. It all made little sense. But I guess you could attribute it to new systems, new A/C's, and adjusting to RM's personality (more on this later). Bottom line: about what was expected.

Recruiting: He hit the ground running with the initial signings. Although, I think a couple, BT and WR, would have been on board with UB. While he didn't bring in a homerun hitter or franchise player, it appears to be a solid class that over time will compete. But at this stage it's still potential. But at least they're his players, so he can't use the step father excuse. This year's recruiting has me concerned. I figured with RM's rep, the new arena (which should turn a recruit's head), and the A-10 getting better we'd have had a verbal or two by now. Also, was pretty bummed we couldn't land a solid JUCO this spring. Can't issue a grade however until the fall and we see whose signing LOI's.

Scheduling: I really can't pass judgement on this. Besides, I think any chance at post season for us will be determined by how we do in conference and at the tourney. So am not too bothered by the lack of marquee names like a Louisville, UNC, etc. And in all honesty this year's squad would not compete well against top tier teams. Why go after a bully if you're still a 98 lb weakling?

Staff: The turnover has me a little concerned. AT was not a surprise. RM's right to clean house of all UB's people. I do think AT was "used" to land some recruits, BT and WR most notably. PB was a surprise though. I thought he wanted back into coaching when he came to us from ESPN. And we were his vehicle. The fact he left for a non coaching gig is a little perplexing given his comments last year. But who really knows. Am sure RM is not the easiest guy in the world to work for, but people will tend to overlook that if you're learning from a genius. While I can't judge the new hire, he seems to be a bit of a light weight compared to PB and PM. Would guess he's RM's bridge into Australia.

This year: I'd expect maybe a game or two improvement over last season with no post season play. Too bad for TL and KL never to have experienced an NCAA tourney. Just too much inexperience and potential talent. Not one of our frosh appears to be the type or have the rep of being an instant impact player. So, am not expecting a great season, but hopeful for a competitive one at the least where we see progress being made game by game.

General comments about RM: In the back of my mind, and am sure some of you have same thoughts, I have the nagging feeling RM may have lost the fire in the belly he had at Utah. Even w/ the new arena and everything else he's got from Biondi, I wonder if he's not having second thoughts about being a coach again. I think this stems from his seemingly total disregard for the media and being any kind of marketing tool for the program. This guy is a national figure, or was. He has to be one of St. Louis' highest profile sport figures, yet he seems to shun the local limelight. I also don't sense the enthusiasm he had when he first took the job. And this is what we need to take advantage of the new building and the new attitude toward hoops at SLU. If this year goes really hard on RM, it wouldn't shock me to see him resign. My gut says he's lost his desire to be a coach. Brich will say I'm in my handwringing mode again.

I live out of town and rely in this board for my of my info about the program, but I disagree with SLU72's post. I remember numerous posts last year criticizing RM for 'over-coaching' the team. Does not sound like a coach who has lost his passion and fire. I remember numerous posts this past spring and early summer taking about RM being spotted is small towns and local gyms across the country looking for diamonds in the rough. Does not sound like a coach who has lost his passion and fire.

RM has been coaching for decades. He has developed a system that he is confident in - and he is confident in himself. He is going to implement his system his way whether we like it or not. He doesn't really care what people think about his approach. He is too old to change his ways because someone else criticizes what he is doing. He has the wisdom of experience and success to guide him. No doubt he has tried much of what many on this board think he should be doing and he learned that either it did not work for him or he did not enjoy it. This is his last stint. He is going to go out doing it his way - and I am comfortable with that even though I do not agree with everything he does or how he does it. Give the coach credit and time.

I think too many of us are judging RM based upon his success at Utah. I would suggest that is an unfair standard. I suggest the more appropriate standard is to judge RM against the 'success' of prior coaches at SLU. As much as I would love it, it is unfair and unrealistic to expect RM to repeat the success he had at Utah. He should be judged based on his performance here at SLU relative to other coaches at SLU. I'm ready to give him a few more years and then grade him based on that standard. Judging RM after last year makes very little sense to me since all admit he came on board too late to affect last year's team composition. Judging RM based on this year is still premature since this really is the 'first' year of his re-building program since this is the first year he has some of his players. RM should not be judged until the end of next year - only then will we have a true sense of the direction of the program. And that is what he was really hired to do - to change the direction of the program. Yes we would love some immediate success, but that was not why he was hired. It takes time to change a program.

Give him some time; have patience.

I live out of town and rely in this board for my of my info about the program, but I disagree with SLU72's post. I remember numerous posts last year criticizing RM for 'over-coaching' the team. Does not sound like a coach who has lost his passion and fire. I remember numerous posts this past spring and early summer taking about RM being spotted is small towns and local gyms across the country looking for diamonds in the rough. Does not sound like a coach who has lost his passion and fire.

RM has been coaching for decades. He has developed a system that he is confident in - and he is confident in himself. He is going to implement his system his way whether we like it or not. He doesn't really care what people think about his approach. He is too old to change his ways because someone else criticizes what he is doing. He has the wisdom of experience and success to guide him. No doubt he has tried much of what many on this board think he should be doing and he learned that either it did not work for him or he did not enjoy it. This is his last stint. He is going to go out doing it his way - and I am comfortable with that even though I do not agree with everything he does or how he does it. Give the coach credit and time.

I think too many of us are judging RM based upon his success at Utah. I would suggest that is an unfair standard. I suggest the more appropriate standard is to judge RM against the 'success' of prior coaches at SLU. As much as I would love it, it is unfair and unrealistic to expect RM to repeat the success he had at Utah. He should be judged based on his performance here at SLU relative to other coaches at SLU. I'm ready to give him a few more years and then grade him based on that standard. Judging RM after last year makes very little sense to me since all admit he came on board too late to affect last year's team composition. Judging RM based on this year is still premature since this really is the 'first' year of his re-building program since this is the first year he has some of his players. RM should not be judged until the end of next year - only then will we have a true sense of the direction of the program. And that is what he was really hired to do - to change the direction of the program. Yes we would love some immediate success, but that was not why he was hired. It takes time to change a program.

Well said. Obviously, you follow the program and read this Board. I would only encourage you post more as well.

I'd expect any SLU coach making a million dollars a year and having the luxury of recruiting to a $80 million arena in a mid-major conference to have teams substantially better than his predecessors. A sophomore season of 17-18 wins and finishing behind resource-challenged programs like Richmond and LaSalle (again) would not sit well at all with me.

Well said. Obviously, you follow the program and read this Board. I would only encourage you post more as well.

I second that. But in the name of fitting in, you will need to say something stupid every 4-5 posts. I try to do it every other post, but as a sr member of the board, I think setting a good example is important.

I completely disagree with this paragraph. When you hire a person, that person is hired based on his experience and potential. Rick was brought to SLU based on his record and the assumption that he will continue that record. To me, that is the only standard to hold him to. Do we forget that the whole reason our former coach was fired was because this standard was completely unacceptable to the fanbase and administration? Furthermore, you bring Utah into the equation. Utah was nothing before RM. SLU sure isn't much. Again, to expect similiar results is not only reasonable, but the only standard to which we should be holding our coach. Not saying we should expect a national championship game in year two, but, say, 30 wins over two years is unacceptable by any standard.

I agree that a true judgment can take place at the end of the season. But that doesn't mean you can't reflect on the good and bad over the first year. There was plenty of both. (i.e. DB was a huge win for Rick....his team only scoring 20 was the worst ever)

72, I just don't think this is the case. If you track Majerus's prior coaching jobs, you will find that it was pretty much exactly the same situation. Majerus seeks out and befriends the high-profile local media (i.e. Bernie in St. Louis) and otherwises focuses on the national media. Even during the glory days in Utah, Majerus spent much of his summers away from the school traveling or back home in Wisconsin. The other thing that hasn't changed is his passion for the game--whether he is back home with mom, touring Europe, or at the Chaifetz arena, he is always thinking and dreaming basketball. If you scour old Utah message boards from a number of years ago, you would find the fans discussing the exact same quirkiness.

I'd expect any SLU coach making a million dollars a year and having the luxury of recruiting to a $80 million arena in a mid-major conference to have teams substantially better than his predecessors. A sophomore season of 17-18 wins and finishing behind resource-challenged programs like Richmond and LaSalle (again) would not sit well at all with me.

I agree with your standard, but it is going to be tough to judge his performance in a season in which he has three verterans and a record number of freshmen. The good news is that, historically, Rick's teams had enormous improvements from year 1 to year 2.

I have generally been a big supporter of the Hire of RM although he frustrated me at times last year and I thought he did not adjust to the talent as quickly as he should have--the old forcing a round peg into a square hole, etc. I am still a big supporter but one thing I strongly disagree with is when the school fires its coach at the worst possible time for him to get a new job under very questionable circumstances where for several weeks people thought he had done something wrong to get fired and then ponies up huge salaries for the head coach and substantially enhanced contracts for assistants--with a state of the art building that is one of the best in the country for its size--to suggest that the standard for this coach is to compare him to the performance of recent SLU coaches is, in my opinion, ridiculous. This huge investment was made and many of us contributed big money to see MUCH better results. I am not at all negative about the future but if we cannot expect performance like he had from his teams at Utah then why did we hire him in the first place?

This huge investment was made and many of us contributed big money to see MUCH better results. I am not at all negative about the future but if we cannot expect performance like he had from his teams at Utah then why did we hire him in the first place?

Good to have you back, Billikan.

I'm in agreement on this one. Will he match his success at Utah? Hard to say - I think our conference is probably tougher than the WAC/Mountain West, but I do think the wins will come. Hopefully sooner rather than later. If we can reach the Big Dance, I'd feel pretty good about our chances with Majerus in charge.

i too agree with billikan. rickma has to have a higher standard than ANY previous coach (including spoon), or else we should have just hired and paid less for another soderberg or romar (at the time romar was hired at slu, romar now would likely break the bank). still way too early to judge anything though. unless someone is just a bumbling stooge or doing something illegal, any coach we get should get the typical slu 5 year trial period minimum.

i too agree with billikan. rickma has to have a higher standard than ANY previous coach (including spoon), or else we should have just hired and paid less for another soderberg or romar (at the time romar was hired at slu, romar now would likely break the bank). still way too early to judge anything though. unless someone is just a bumbling stooge or doing something illegal, any coach we get should get the typical slu 5 year trial period minimum.

This is probably the first time I have agreed with you regarding Rickma. He should be held to a different standard but lets not expect him to get it done in a year and a half. In the middle of year 3 you will really start to see this team shine.

This is probably the first time I have agreed with you regarding Rickma. He should be held to a different standard but lets not expect him to get it done in a year and a half. In the middle of year 3 you will really start to see this team shine.

well i expect more sooner, but i wouldnt kick him to the curb until 2013. that is what i meant by five years. there is plenty (we dont need to rehash) i didnt like about year one, but one has to be blind to also not recognize while he may have waited to long to adjust last year, that after he did indeed change things up, there was tremendous improvement. the man knows basketball no doubt. i just wish he wanted to do it all and not just coach.

well i expect more sooner, but i wouldnt kick him to the curb until 2013. that is what i meant by five years. there is plenty (we dont need to rehash) i didnt like about year one, but one has to be blind to also not recognize while he may have waited to long to adjust last year, that after he did indeed change things up, there was tremendous improvement. the man knows basketball no doubt. i just wish he wanted to do it all and not just coach.

All things aside I think he needs to win first then do the other things. How is he suppose to "do it all" when the team isnt winning? Fans and media would rip him to shreds. Let the winning take care of it then go out and sell your university.