Players scrimmaging thoughts?

June is a quiet period. Majerus can only talk to prospects if they take an unofficial visit to the campus. I don't even think he can make phone calls. Rick is probably on vacation.

June 15 was the first day you are allowed to call kids in the 2010 class.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the really funny thing about this thread is how clueless that germ must really be about the wonderful world of telecommunications.

for instance-- if I really cared two cents worth about where is the coach, I might pick up the phone and call over to the office, and ask whoever picks up. They are pretty forthcoming about that sort of info.

I think this dood is just mad he can't get a 45-minute one on one interview with the coach. get a life, big guy.

Amen.

Also, believe Roy is right. Breaking the news about RM forcing out students at the Christmas break ... While the story turned out to be true, there are no doubt consequences. I have no doubt that Bernie knew several of these guys would be leaving as well. The difference, of course, is that AS is trying to make a name for himself while others agreed not to embarrass the coach, players and program.

Roy, reading this post made me think of that ridiculously stupid thread a few months ago where somebody said Biondi wouldn't let them practice in the main building because of the electric bill and multiple posters believed it. I know you were joking but too many people take these things for fact.

Given that both the men and womens teams play on average 1 home game a week and the only reason to leave an alternative set-up (concerts, etc.) in place is if no basketball game is coming up before the next concert, I still think it'll be the court more often then not, but who knows...

I will guarantee that they'll never not practice in the main building because of the electricity. You don't build a million dollar home then live in the pool-house because you are afraid of the $300 electric bill to turn on the AC...

i would be disappointed if the big majority of the practices are not on the game floor - but then i stop and think cheryl made a real big deal about getting practice courts - 2 in fact - so practices can be held at least in the same bldg if not on the same floor - so something makes me think the game floor will not be available as much as i would prefer which would be all of the time.

and to take another turn on this - the volleyball game with stanford is the only event listed as of 5 minutes ago on the arena web site calendar (and this will not be on the bball game court) - so maybe the game floor will be available.

and while doing a changeover may not be like clockwork at this point, they will get the hang of it pretty quickly i would hope

i would be disappointed if the big majority of the practices are not on the game floor - but then i stop and think cheryl made a real big deal about getting practice courts - 2 in fact - so practices can be held at least in the same bldg if not on the same floor - so something makes me think the game floor will not be available as much as i would prefer which would be all of the time.

and to take another turn on this - the volleyball game with stanford is the only event listed as of 5 minutes ago on the arena web site calendar (and this will not be on the bball game court) - so maybe the game floor will be available.

and while doing a changeover may not be like clockwork at this point, they will get the hang of it pretty quickly i would hope

One of the more time consuming aspects of each "changeover" at the Scott was the covering of the ice floor with all the pieces of wood. The basketball court is only 2/3's the size of the ice rink. Also, the taking down of the plexi-glass followed by the need to cool the building while smoothing out the ice surface. Also, don't believe are many (any) temporary seating/bleachers, etc. After all this, then the floor was put down/taken up.

I'd expect the team to be able to practice on the actual floor quite often.

i bet the cost of "opening" for basketball practice when another event that they dont use the floor will take place before the next game will make that happening prohibitive.

Why would there be any cost associated with the conversion? There is no ice to maintain or re-freeze, and SLU has an extensive full-time maintenance and facilities staff that will presumably handle the conversion at no additional incremental cost to the university. I presume the touring groups are responsible for building and tearing down their own stages and sets.

Why would there be any cost associated with the conversion? There is no ice to maintain or re-freeze, and SLU has an extensive full-time maintenance and facilities staff that will presumably handle the conversion at no additional incremental cost to the university. I presume the touring groups are responsible for building and tearing down their own stages and sets.

do you know for a fact they are always going to handle the conversion internally? i would be surprised even more then that slu switches that floor around more than they absolutely have to. we have seen the large number of workers that the scott trade has on hand to do the conversion after our games in the past. even if slu can do it with half the workers you are talking about taking quite a few workers off of their regular job to make the conversion happen each instance.

and if they do leave their duties to do such, one would think it would create overtime as well. nothing is cost free.

do you know for a fact they are always going to handle the conversion internally? i would be surprised even more then that slu switches that floor around more than they absolutely have to. we have seen the large number of workers that the scott trade has on hand to do the conversion after our games in the past. even if slu can do it with half the workers you are talking about taking quite a few workers off of their regular job to make the conversion happen each instance.

and if they do leave their duties to do such, one would think it would create overtime as well. nothing is cost free.

I think your wrong. The conversion will be much simpler and straightforward than Kiel for the reasons Clock identified above. I see no reason whey they would have to pay overtime for changeovers that will typically be scheduled weeks in advance.

I think your wrong. The conversion will be much simpler and straightforward than Kiel for the reasons Clock identified above. I see no reason whey they would have to pay overtime for changeovers that will typically be scheduled weeks in advance.

It won't be nearly as complicated as at Kiel, but there will probably be times when the changeover will happen either late Saturday night or on a Sunday. That will probably cost overtime no matter when it's scheduled.

Amen.

Also, believe Roy is right. Breaking the news about RM forcing out students at the Christmas break ... While the story turned out to be true, there are no doubt consequences. I have no doubt that Bernie knew several of these guys would be leaving as well. The difference, of course, is that AS is trying to make a name for himself while others agreed not to embarrass the coach, players and program.

Strickland broke that story on BM's show. BM's hands aren't entirely clean on that as he discussed it with Strickland for a few minutes.

i bet they wont. they of course will get to practice there a hell of a lot more than they did at scott trade, but i bet the cost of "opening" for basketball practice when another event that they dont use the floor will take place before the next game will make that happening prohibitive. just an opinion, but it isnt a walk in the park to convert back and forth.

It is my understanding that all the players will have 24 hour access to play on the courts, shoot around or work out. They each will have a key and they are allowed to use the main floor for their own leisure or practice on their own time schedual as long as it's not being used, which will be most of the time. They pretty much will have free reign to work on their basketball skills 24 hours a day.

It won't be nearly as complicated as at Kiel, but there will probably be times when the changeover will happen either late Saturday night or on a Sunday. That will probably cost overtime no matter when it's scheduled.

Footes, why would they need to changeover on a Saturday night or Sunday? Will there be a lot of Sunday or Monday night events?

Strickland broke that story on BM's show. BM's hands aren't entirely clean on that as he discussed it with Strickland for a few minutes.

Fair points. I did not hear how or when AS broke the story. Instead, I used Bernie more as an example of a media guy whom RM has warmed up to as opposed to AS who feels left out in the cold. Bernie can and will release info and write columns that RM will not like. It goes with the business but RM has respect for Bernie. No doubt, if and when this happens, RM will call Bernie to complain but I don't see RM cutting Bernie out of the loop in such an event. RM is smart enough that he needs Bernie and vice versa.

Frankly, I just think AS is a nobody who wants to get attention as the next "scoup" reporter. Whining on the air is not the way to achieve access to RM. Hopefully, AS' career will improve and he can then possibly land an asistant reporting job in Bloomington/Normal.

BTW, just came back from Chicago (having driven through Bloomington/Normal) and wanted to find a way to work this metropolis (Home of Illinois State of the vaunted Missouri Valley Conference). I don't care how long/short of a drive it is, I have absolutely no desire to roadtrip to that backwater town. While in Chicago, we drove past Loyola Univ on our way to Wrigleyville, have been on DePaul's campus before, etc. Would so much rather be in a conference with Chicago Loyola rather than Illinois State.

While this debate over the economics and practicalities of switching over the court is fascinating, I'd be interested in hearing more about the players and their scrimmage. Anybody else have any comments about the players and/or the scrimmage? Which players were there, which were not? Anyone stand out besides Reed?

While this debate over the economics and practicalities of switching over the court is fascinating, I'd be interested in hearing more about the players and their scrimmage. Anybody else have any comments about the players and/or the scrimmage? Which players were there, which were not? Anyone stand out besides Reed?

I was in the arena last week, and Lisch, Liddell, and a big greek kid named Ian were shooting around together, but there was really nothing new or exciting to report about any of the three.

I believe scrimmages at the Fetz were limited this week b/c the main court was being used for the seat selection, and the practice courts were being used for Shimmy's camps. Perhaps the players were scrimmaging at West Pine.

Does anyone know whether the weight room and other training facilities are fully complete and being used by the players?

Keep in mind, the main court only has two baskets. That is fine for a scrimmage but ineffeicient for shooting drills and stuff like that. I would suspect Roy is right. The majority of the team practices will be on the practice courts. Individual workouts will likely be on the main court.

I was in the arena last week, and Lisch, Liddell, and a big greek kid named Ian were shooting around together, but there was really nothing new or exciting to report about any of the three.

I believe scrimmages at the Fetz were limited this week b/c the main court was being used for the seat selection, and the practice courts were being used for Shimmy's camps. Perhaps the players were scrimmaging at West Pine.

Does anyone know whether the weight room and other training facilities are fully complete and being used by the players?

I believe that the weight room and whatnot are completed and being used. We walked by the weight rooms at graduation and they looked phenomenal. Just having access to these type of facilities 24 hours a day is going to pay huge dividends down the line for this team.

Cowboy. Please explain what Cheryl (assume you mean Levick) said about the 2 practice courts. Would seem like high school again if both the men's and women's teams practice at the same time in the practice facility - 1 on each court. I can't possibly think that would be acceptable to RM. If that is the case, then a wall in between would seem better. Without the wall, I can only guess that CL was proud of having a larger facility - 2 courts and hence 4 main baskets for the team to split and work on different skills.

As to where they practice, I would think the answer is both - run some scrimages and walk-thrus on the main floor and the rest on the practice floors. As House smartly suggests, RM's options would be limited by having only 2 available baskets. The real court and practice floors are only 100 feet or so apart.

Guest BillikenReport

Yes. That stuff is up and running.

They were using the weight room as part of the SLU Elite Camp.

- Nate

Cowboy. Please explain what Cheryl (assume you mean Levick) said about the 2 practice courts. Would seem like high school again if both the men's and women's teams practice at the same time in the practice facility - 1 on each court. I can't possibly think that would be acceptable to RM. If that is the case, then a wall in between would seem better. Without the wall, I can only guess that CL was proud of having a larger facility - 2 courts and hence 4 main baskets for the team to split and work on different skills.

As to where they practice, I would think the answer is both - run some scrimages and walk-thrus on the main floor and the rest on the practice floors. As House smartly suggests, RM's options would be limited by having only 2 available baskets. The real court and practice floors are only 100 feet or so apart.

clock, while not remembering specific quotes, i remember her saying or maybe i heard it and thought something along the lines of the practice facility is very important as we have vball, mbball and wbball all needing to practice/play games during the same part of the year and we need to have the space for that to happen and for the situation to be agreeable to recruits

if i had to guess, vball will have their floor set up all the time and the bball teams split the other practice court and the arena court, but that is a guess

Keep in mind, the main court only has two baskets. That is fine for a scrimmage but ineffeicient for shooting drills and stuff like that. I would suspect Roy is right. The majority of the team practices will be on the practice courts. Individual workouts will likely be on the main court.

Most arenas have several extra goals back in the tunnels. They are backups for the games, but they are also used if the team needs extra baskets for practices, camps, etc. I still think that most of the practices will be held in the practice facility. However, I'm sure they can have the managers or maintenance staff bring in the extra goals if they need them on the main court.

For whoever saw the players scrimmage, I heard Reed, Thompson, Mitchell and Femi John mentioned. That is great news that Reed is in town! I think he will be a bigger impact than anyone expects. What about the three C's, Conklin, Coto and Cassidy? Are any of them on campus? I thought typically the kids are brought in over the summer to get a jump start on college classes.

My daughter was a D1 athelete and she had to show a certain amount of progress toward her degree to be eligible to compete. Getting a couple of courses under their belts over the summer allows the athletes to take a less hours during the school year, you know maybe 12 or 13 instead of 15 or more.

I watched a few games today at Simon Rec. I saw KM and DB shooting around. KM looked like he had a nice jumper with his backpack on. The main game I saw was Desmet vs Summit. Dwyer and Will Clark played okay for Summit and Kroeker played okay for Desmet. I'm not sure if I will attend anymore games this weekend and I didnt see any of the other recruits.

Also, shouldnt the players be taking 15 hours instead of 12 or 13 for the simple fact that dropping a class would make them ineligible if they took less than 14 or 15

For whoever saw the players scrimmage, I heard Reed, Thompson, Mitchell and Femi John mentioned. That is great news that Reed is in town! I think he will be a bigger impact than anyone expects. What about the three C's, Conklin, Coto and Cassidy? Are any of them on campus? I thought typically the kids are brought in over the summer to get a jump start on college classes.

My daughter was a D1 athelete and she had to show a certain amount of progress toward her degree to be eligible to compete. Getting a couple of courses under their belts over the summer allows the athletes to take a less hours during the school year, you know maybe 12 or 13 instead of 15 or more.

Cotto was in the Fetz on wed.

Cotto was in the Fetz on wed.

Should we assume that since Reed is on campus that he has qualified? He was living in KC so he would have had to come in to town and need a place to stay- right? Also, Cotto is local so he can drop by the arena anytime he wants I guess so that might not mean he has qualified yet.