Alton-Edwardsville Regional game

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cotto is not good enough to play the two at SLU. I think if he isn't the focus of the offense he'll be fine. I don't know if he has the ups or the speed to create his own shot off the dribble.

BTW, Big fan of Brandon Hogg, I wonder if he'll get an offer to Div-I. I haven't heard.

Anyone still think that he's better than Bryant Allen?

i do. when bryant allen plays in the southwestern conference with the horrible set of teamates that cotto has to help him and goes against a top 10 team in the state of illinois like edwardsville with a future illinois high school hall of fame coach like coach waldo and dominates every time, let me know.

to expect cotto to over come that every time he plays is beyond belief. he really is pretty much a one man gang. switching teams with hogg would make cotto look like an all american.

I have not seen him play, but with the talent that was at Alton this year is it possible that he just hit a wall? Being the guy that has to do it all on both ends of the flooor 30 games can wear anyone out.......especially when you have to do it in the extremely tough Southwestern Conference..

Alton had graduated its top seven players from two spectacular years and were looking at a season of maybe six or seven wins with the Southwestern Conference and the schedule they normally play. Cotto took them to 24 victories, including O'Fallon and Edwardsville, who are loaded this year. If he hadn't shown up, Alton would have been battling Granite City for the cellar of the Southwestern Conference. He carried that team all season and did it unselfishly, even when opposing teams are throwing two and sometimes three defenders at him. Outside of maybe Suggs of Washington, nobody had less to work with and Alton still won a ton of games. He made very marginal at best players so much better. He's the real deal as a point guard.

Bad boyz for life

i do. when bryant allen plays in the southwestern conference with the horrible set of teamates that cotto has to help him and goes against a top 10 team in the state of illinois like edwardsville with a future illinois high school hall of fame coach like coach waldo and dominates every time, let me know.

to expect cotto to over come that every time he plays is beyond belief. he really is pretty much a one man gang. switching teams with hogg would make cotto look like an all american.

Agree completely.

so roy why don't you break down the deficencies in allen's overall game vs cotto since you are saying cotto is better than allen?

For the first time in the history of this board, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. I've seen Cotto struggle repeatedly with creating off the dribble. Love the range, like his vision but there's an obvious Achilles heel here.

the prerequsite for being a point guard isn't necessarily having a larry hughes killer cross over dribble. Just get to the basket. He does that consistently. a straight line. Get the ball to people when they are in a position to score and he does that all the time while playing with people who aren't very good. for those who have seen him play, I find it hard to believe that you ignore the fact that he has nobody to play with and he still made them better players. That's why they won 24 games. If he had moved into Alton a year earlier, he might have averaged about 12-15 points a game, but he would have moved Lacey to the 2-guard spot and all of those other weapons Alton had would have been even better. Alton might have gone undefeated all the way to the state title game to face Derrick Rose and Co. for the championship.

I think he just wore down after carrying a bad team on his back all year.

bad boyz for life

Guest BillikenReport

Another point about the teammate thing ...

I was disappointed when I watched Alton play Belleville West because after Cotto went off for a big first quarter, first 10 minutes of the game his teammates didn't really try to get him the ball. At one point, one of his teammates acted like it was his time to be the man and just kept driving to the hoop and taking bad shots.

Because of that, instead of Alton blowing out Belleville West you had West actually get back into the game and have a chance to win late.

I have no doubts about Cotto being an impact player at SLU.

- Nate

Not to beat a dead horse, Nate, but, is there any update on his attempt to qualify?

Is there a timetable for him taking the ACT? Some say its an incorrect assumption that it will be difficult for him to qualify, but here we are in March with no tests scores.....seems strange

Guest BillikenReport

Not to beat a dead horse, Nate, but, is there any update on his attempt to qualify?

Is there a timetable for him taking the ACT? Some say its an incorrect assumption that it will be difficult for him to qualify, but here we are in March with no tests scores.....seems strange

I don't have an update for you. And before anybody asks, I don't have an update on Willie Reed either.

Sorry.

Guest BillikenReport

What's with the Ruben Cotto vs. Bryant Allen stuff?

One is a senior. One is a junior.

SLU could get both players. It doesn't have to be an either-or situation.

A lot of people post this either or stuff Nate. People either see a kid play once, or not at all and read a stat sheet about 1 or 2 games and jump to the wrong conclusions.

One is not origanally from St Louis and hasn't been talked up for a couple of years by certain posters on this board that are trying to push their site. If certain people could say they were the first to talk up Cotto they would be taking a different stance.

It shouldn't be an Allen vs. Cotto thing. We would be doing great if we could get both of them in a Billiken uniform. They are both great players and very good prospects.

I find it hard to believe that you ignore the fact that he has nobody to play with and he still made them better players. .

I didn't ignore it- I noted in my previous post that I liked his vision. I just pointed out that I've seen him struggle creating off the dribble against mediocre teams. If Cotto could get to the hoop like Ben Hoener (who also has nobody to play with) there wouldn't be any doubt in my mind that he's an impact point guard.

I didn't ignore it- I noted in my previous post that I liked his vision. I just pointed out that I've seen him struggle creating off the dribble against mediocre teams. If Cotto could get to the hoop like Ben Hoener (who also has nobody to play with) there wouldn't be any doubt in my mind that he's an impact point guard.

What's the knock on Hoener, do you suppose? Too small?

Guest BillikenReport

What's the knock on Hoener, do you suppose? Too small?

Yup.

He's kind of like a cross between Kramer Soderberg and Drew Hanlen, though he might be better than both those guys.

Hoener shoots it very well and is difficult to handle man-to-man. He's put up some monster scoring games this season.

- Nate