Anybody Hear Majerus on the Radio?

Box and Won

Guest BillikenReport

Apparently he claimed that all of the recruits that he's lost since he's been at SLU were because of the weakness of the A-10?

That's not surprising at all.

Kids in the midwest don't want to play in the A-10 if they can play in the Big Ten or Big 12 or ACC or Pac 10.

Apparently he claimed that all of the recruits that he's lost since he's been at SLU were because of the weakness of the A-10?

I listened to the show, but that isn't exactly what he said.

He did say he has lost recruits due to the conference...AND OTHER THINGS. He said every recruit he's lost has gone to a big time conference. Later in the segment, he said the A-10 was a real good league...just not sure if it's good for us. He said based on geography and fan support, the MVC would be the answer. Then he followed that up with the MVC isn't a good fit for SLU because no school in the league shares the same vision and ideals, among other things, as us and other A-10 schools. Said he would ideally like to be in the big east.

He said he would improve our conference by scheduling multi game trips...like a thursday saturday or friday sunday. He said the travel is just brutal for us in STL. He said he would change the league's yearly conference. He thought it was ridiculous to have a three day conference in Florida...he said "i don't want to hang out with those guys and they don't want to hang out with me". He wants a more central location and only one day.

I pretty much agree with everything he said on this topic.

I thought the most interesting comment was that next year Porter Moser will be named Associate Head Coach. I bet he wasn't supposed to say that yet.

According to Bernie's forum, he mentioned that he really likes the MVC. What gets me is that the same argument could be made if were in the Valley. Kids would still rather play in a bigger conference.

That's ridiculous. He never said he really likes the MVC.

I meant to record the program last night but wasn't around the computer with that software. Really regret that now.

That's ridiculous. He never said he really likes the MVC.

I meant to record the program last night but wasn't around the computer with that software. Really regret that now.

It's amazing how things get skewed in that forum, especially when it comes to SLU. What was amazing was Bernie then replied with a "I told you so."

I listened to the Majerus show last night. The first caller was Gary. I think he has been the first caller every week I have listened to the show. A woman who works at SLU was the second caller. Majerus was all excited to the point he said " I don't want to sound like I am hitting on you" He told her she can come down to the office and have a piece of birthday cake his Mom made for him. Next week I am going to try to call in and ask "What players will be back next season? I sure would like to know. DM, AK, AM, MR? Since RM says he wants to add two players in the spring, someone has to leave and PE has to give up his athletic scholarship.

That's not surprising at all.

Kids in the midwest don't want to play in the A-10 if they can play in the Big Ten or Big 12 or ACC or Pac 10.

that is a great point nate. the ones that i am aware of didnt pick the likes of a school from the ohio valley or missouri valley conference over slu in the a-10.

last i remember, when cusa was breaking apart, the big ten, big east, big 12, pac 10, sec, and acc werent begging slu to join. we joined the next best power and exposure option available that fit our own needs.

The A-10 is actually a strong league, 7th best this year per the RPI. Coach Majerus evidently said what I heard in another circle about SLU probably wanting to be in the Big East. But I don't see that happening, not as long as the Big East remains a 16 team league.

I agree that 2 game travel trips would be helpful financially, but that also leads to multiple 2 game losing streaks. Remember SLU's time in the old MCC? SLU would often win at home and lose to the same schools on the road, Butler, Detroit, Loyola, et al. I don't think the majority of the A-10 schools will favor the 2 game road trips. So many of them can get on a bus for many of their road games.

Out here, the Pac-10 and WCC both have travel partners and play 2 game road trips up and down the West Coast. It works out perfectly in the Pac-10. The only WCC disparity is that San Diego (USD) and one of the three Bay Area schools (this year USF) are forced travel partners, meaning that a school plays at USF and USD on the same trip, and I suspect has to fly from 1 city to the other.

The A-10 is not utopia for SLU, but I agree that it is probably the best place at this time, given all the circumstances.

The A-10 is a great place for us to be aside from travel concerns. Its an open conference and can be dominated like Memphis in C-USA. You get a high profile player on your team and you could be carried to the tournament. Remember St Joes having Nelson and West and them getting a 1 seed. The way I see it, SLU and Xavier will be competing for top spot in the conference year after year. If Sean Miller leaves we can be the powerhouse. We can eventually be the first choice of all area recruits. The conference is filled with mediocre teams and can be dominated by a well built team - Xavier this year. Our home court advantage becomes that much more of an advantage as they have to travel all the way to STL and play in front of our packed houses

He did mention that we lost Tyler Griffey - I assume that is the recent recruit that was lost to BCS conference.

if rickma mentioned tyler griffey by name on the radio that was foolish as tyler is still a recruitable athlete. of course we all believe and know that griffey to illinois is a 99.9% certainty, who knows what happens over the next 9 months as well. if for some unknown reason tyler would change his mind, i am almost certain that rickma just forfeited any right to get back in that race.

The A-10 is a great place for us to be aside from travel concerns. Its an open conference and can be dominated like Memphis in C-USA. You get a high profile player on your team and you could be carried to the tournament. Remember St Joes having Nelson and West and them getting a 1 seed. The way I see it, SLU and Xavier will be competing for top spot in the conference year after year. If Sean Miller leaves we can be the powerhouse. We can eventually be the first choice of all area recruits. The conference is filled with mediocre teams and can be dominated by a well built team - Xavier this year. Our home court advantage becomes that much more of an advantage as they have to travel all the way to STL and play in front of our packed houses

you way way way underestimate the vast majority of the A-10. memphis to CUSA is not even close to xavier and the A-10. the A-10 is a far more balanced conference than CUSA. currently with 5 games remaining 2nd to 12th is separated by 2 games in the a-10 conference.

you way way way underestimate the vast majority of the A-10. memphis to CUSA is not even close to xavier and the A-10. the A-10 is a far more balanced conference than CUSA. currently with 5 games remaining 2nd to 12th is separated by 2 games in the a-10 conference.

How then is Xavier able to dominate this far more balanced conference? I'm saying in this conference(A-10) a team can become capable of separating itself at the top----- Kind of like Xavier this year.... GW 2 years ago, St Joes 4 years in a row before that. The A-10 is for the taking

How then is Xavier able to dominate this far more balanced conference? I'm saying in this conference(A-10) a team can become capable of separating itself at the top----- Kind of like Xavier this year....

Memphis is the #1 team in the country and no one else in the CUSA is even close, probably no other shot at an at-large bid. XU is first in the A10, is not as strong as Memphis and the rest of the conference is not as weak as the rest of the CUSA. Also, I don't know if you've seen the past several wins by XU, but they are just barely beating teams (URI by 4, Charlotte by 2, St. Joe's by 4, SLU by 2). The disparity between XU and the A10 and between Memphis and CUSA are not even close- no one in their right mind could argue that.

Go to the XU page of the Cincinnati Enquirer's sports section, and read the list of headlines. You'll see that this team is not coasting through the league.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../802150438/1065

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/sec...ategory=SPT0102

A-10 teams have a good chance to receive a high seed in the tournament year after year because one of them usually dominates the conference every year. The teams beat up on each other but someone dominates. Xavier is 10-1 in conference, close games but W's. They are coasting. Watch them get a 2 seed.

if rickma mentioned tyler griffey by name on the radio that was foolish as tyler is still a recruitable athlete. of course we all believe and know that griffey to illinois is a 99.9% certainty, who knows what happens over the next 9 months as well. if for some unknown reason tyler would change his mind, i am almost certain that rickma just forfeited any right to get back in that race.

For the 2nd straight week he said SLU should play Illinois because they signed Tyler Griffey and they should play in his hometown. This week he added that we should play Washington because of Suggs. If what he said last week was wrong/bad then its shame on the SLU athletic department for letting him do the exact smae thing again.

Roy, you really should listen to his program. You might actually enjoy yourself.

For the 2nd straight week he said SLU should play Illinois because they signed Tyler Griffey and they should play in his hometown. This week he added that we should play Washington because of Suggs. If what he said last week was wrong/bad then its shame on the SLU athletic department for letting him do the exact smae thing again.

Roy, you really should listen to his program. You might actually enjoy yourself.

spoon, romar and soderberg all told us at billiken club meetings that any public mention of a recruit's name and/or discussion would at least disqualify us from recruiting that player going forward. if that has changed since rickma got hired i am unaware of it.

i cannot stand what seems to have become the rambling off topic monotonic style of coach majerus. originally i enjoyed the stories, but it appears he has since used all his nightclub material and now his tone suggests he would rather be anywhere but on the radio answering those questions. at least when we get the fab five five minute version on friday mornings that is how it comes off. to think of subjecting myself to that for an entire hour would be akin to watching cspan or sunday morning pbs television. painful.

now if coach biancardi would do the show, that would interest me because the times he has appeared post game he seems to be enjoying the opportunity and is appreciative of the fans. i.e he wants to be there.

Guest BillikenReport

Majerus isn't allowed to talk about Griffey or any other unsigned player by name.

He can talk about Suggs. I've heard that Washington is trying to play in the St. Louis area in the future to give Suggs a chance to play in front of his friends and family. I wouldn't be surprised if the Huskies came to Chaifetz in the next four years.

Majerus said earlier in the season he would play anybody. If he can get a school like Washington to come to St. Louis for a game, I'm sure he'd take it.

- Nate