long time looker

thefan

i never posted on here just always lurked around. i finally got free tickets to the Temple game and left pissed off. here are a few things.

1.) The attendance--- i saw a thread about people wondering where the attendance was for a ranked team. First off i doubt many people knew or care it was a ranked team (the game before temple). People will only go the bills game if it is convienent for them (assuming they are not big time fans). I know everyone around me recieved free tickets. The team as been average and offers the causual fan nothing.

2.) What the hell is up with the student section? Props for you the students who do show up trying, but you have to think the opposing team sometimes laughs at them. No way Temple was intimidated coming in by the atmosphere. The students who do show up are true fans.

3.) Today i felt like i was at a old persons house. I think the average age in the building was around 65.

4.) the coach---- Hopefully his recruits turn out to be good. I don't think the A10 will see a recruiting class like the one he is bringing in. But i think he lost the game today. 2 biggest problems that bugged me. He runs such a "complicated" system, in fact so complicated that they run it till the shot clock has 3 seconds left then throw up a horrible shot. This must have happened at least 4 times. Also not getting a shot off with 19 seconds left on clock?

5.) VTIME and NATE never leave this board, you guys bring a voice of reason.

sorry if this has been all discussed on another thread. I didn't want to read through the 10 pages.

I thought the crowd was definitely one of the better crowds. Where is Footes, drew all others who want more audience participation? we were standing the last 2 minutes. That does not happen too often, at least not last year.

I wonder why that happened

I thought the crowd was definitely one of the better crowds. Where is Footes, drew all others who want more audience participation? we were standing the last 2 minutes. That does not happen too often, at least not last year.

I watched the end of the UNC Maryland game on tv recently. Right up to the end of a close game the crowd was chanting something back and forth accross the arena and at the end many of the UNC fans were crying.

Our fans do resemble a tennis crowd or a golf crowd more than a UNC crowd to be sure but some of us are getting it. Next year and beyond at Cha' we will hopefully move closer still to a championship and the level of support that goes along with it....

The crowd was okay yesterday, good for this season. I recorded the game and watched last night. The crowd looked pretty bad on tv, a LOT of empty seats at courtside.

I watched the end of the UNC Maryland game on tv recently. Right up to the end of a close game the crowd was chanting something back and forth accross the arena and at the end many of the UNC fans were crying.

Our fans do resemble a tennis crowd or a golf crowd more than a UNC crowd to be sure but some of us are getting it. Next year and beyond at Cha' we will hopefully move closer still to a championship and the level of support that goes along with it....

I watched a few minutes of the Illinois-Purdue game on Saturday. The mentioned that Pudue students lined up at 6 AM in zero degree tempertature for tickets. SLU students wouldn't do that if they were handing out $50 bills. It will get better, but it takes time to generate that kind of enthusiasm.

I watched a few minutes of the Illinois-Purdue game on Saturday. The mentioned that Pudue students lined up at 6 AM in zero degree tempertature for tickets. SLU students wouldn't do that if they were handing out $50 bills. It will get better, but it takes time to generate that kind of enthusiasm.

We did back in 93-94. Winning would definitely help matters.

We did back in 93-94. Winning would definitely help matters.

Purdue is good this year, but not great so far. Illinois certainly isn't good. Purdue wins year in and year out, so they can make it through the occasional lean year. If SLU were 13-5 (like I think Purdue is right now) do you think you'd see a big turnout in the student section at games?

Speaking of 93-94 do you remember S.I. doing an article on the team saying they only dunked the ball 3 times since the season started (the article came out late Jan). That is completely unheard of now.

Anyone recall if we have dunked the ball this year? Got to believe we have but I truly cannot remember any.

Anyone recall if we have dunked the ball this year? Got to believe we have but I truly cannot remember any.

BE has had 2 breakaway dunks. I feel like Tommie has dunked once, and Bruce Husak as well. I think that's it. Of games I've seen, 4 dunks.

BE has had 2 breakaway dunks. I feel like Tommie has dunked once, and Bruce Husak as well. I think that's it. Of games I've seen, 4 dunks.

I know that Husak and Eberhardt have had some dunks, and I know of one Liddell had. Hasn't Meyer also had a dunk or two? I wish SLU would keep track of dunks, like other schools do.

I know that Husak and Eberhardt have had some dunks, and I know of one Liddell had. Hasn't Meyer also had a dunk or two? I wish SLU would keep track of dunks, like other schools do.

i've never seen dunks tracked at any level, at least not in a publicly accessible format. do a lot of schools do this? if willie reed eventually makes his way to 1 south compton ave., i expect the number of dunks to improve dramatically. druh-mah-tickly.

i've never seen dunks tracked at any level, at least not in a publicly accessible format. do a lot of schools do this? if willie reed eventually makes his way to 1 south compton ave., i expect the number of dunks to improve dramatically. druh-mah-tickly.

I believe Missouri and other schools mention in their game notes (on the website) various stats like dunks, double-doubles, and 20-10 games, etc.

why go to a SLU game when they can possiblely score 20pts in the whole freaking game, thats not out of the question....this team is not exciting to see play...slow basketball tough D...push the ball, get into some kind of quarter court press, make something happen...just boring basketball to watch and they struggle to put pts up...we went to overtime and scored 53pts??? come on now

why go to a SLU game when they can possiblely score 20pts in the whole freaking game, thats not out of the question....this team is not exciting to see play...slow basketball tough D...push the ball, get into some kind of quarter court press, make something happen...just boring basketball to watch and they struggle to put pts up...we went to overtime and scored 53pts??? come on now

They're as exciting as can be if you care about the team. To someone watching one game a year or something, yeah, they're probably a bit of a yawn. I'm not saying I won't welcome a few über-athletes that throw down in traffic at will, but I get plenty excited when Lisch absolutely locks someone down on D, or when Tommie or Luke catch a nice pass perfectly in the flow of a well-executed play and finish gracefully. To each his own, I guess. We'll score when we have scorers, simple as that. We have to grind it out now because that's the kind of players we have. He don't have the depth or talent to run w/ teams. I'm hoping that next year Kwamain brings a Marque Perry-type game to the team, that will liven things up a bit.

The lack of runouts has always concerned me. I never really see anybody on the perimeter get in the passing lanes for a steal and finish at the other end. This has been an issue for years. Or when Polk beats everyone up the court and then pulls it back out. Why doesnt he force the envelope a couple of times and see what happens. Maybe he will get to the free throw line.

The lack of runouts has always concerned me. I never really see anybody on the perimeter get in the passing lanes for a steal and finish at the other end. This has been an issue for years. Or when Polk beats everyone up the court and then pulls it back out. Why doesnt he force the envelope a couple of times and see what happens. Maybe he will get to the free throw line.

This was actually brought up on the coaches show. Basically he said that unless you are a very special player (he used Stockton as an example), steals either come by accident or through the defense. It didn't sound like he is an advocate of overplaying your man to try and force steals. Somebody else may be able to give a better recount that this.

This was actually brought up on the coaches show. Basically he said that unless you are a very special player (he used Stockton as an example), steals either come by accident or through the defense. It didn't sound like he is an advocate of overplaying your man to try and force steals. Somebody else may be able to give a better recount that this.

I find the games very exciting ... I don't care whether the score is 78-76 or 52-50. It's my team and I get fired up everytime they take the floor. In fact when they are down by 15 with 5 minutes left I still think they can win, so it's still exciting to me.

I agree with not overplaying your man to get a steal. Unless you are the rare player, it will cost you more than it helps you. I like our D under RM.

Well I guess they play against multiple exceptional players every night. A good shotblocker like Bryce is supposed to allow you to take some chances on the perimeter. I'm not saying you should be gambling every time down, just anticipating every now and then off the ball. And you gotta love #5 on the initial post

it's kind of like watching "the office". if you are a regular and know all the characters and past stories, you cant get enough, if you only watch once a year you dont get it. obviously you dont get it.

even in the worst of times, billiken basketball is a supreme roller coaster ride imo. but then again, i dont miss many episodes.

Well I guess they play against multiple exceptional players every night. A good shotblocker like Bryce is supposed to allow you to take some chances on the perimeter. I'm not saying you should be gambling every time down, just anticipating every now and then off the ball. And you gotta love #5 on the initial post

It it ever wise to use the words good and Bryce in the same sentence?