My thoughts

NH

We played real well. This team is not used to being in these kind of games and it really showed in OT. Lisch didnt come through when we needed him.

Officiating was HORRRIBLE. Terrible. Could someone please expain to me what happened at the end.

We need alot more out of Barry and Bryce. They need to at least be an active presence.

Overall great effort by our guys, espicially Luke and Tommie

That was easily the worst officiating we've seen all year. Absolutely horrible. The foul on Relphorde really stands out in my mind - he didn't even touch the Dayton player.

despite my seemingly uncouth nature on this board, i rarely curse at games because of the children. i cussed my f$#*ing ass off all game at those lousy sons of *******. worst officiating i've ever seen. probably 7-8 trips in a row of blown calls in dayton's favor. take any of those away, or give lisch one of thos free throws and we win. se la vie.

Guest BillikenReport

despite my seemingly uncouth nature on this board, i rarely curse at games because of the children. i cussed my f$#*ing ass off all game at those lousy sons of *******. worst officiating i've ever seen. probably 7-8 trips in a row of blown calls in dayton's favor. take any of those away, or give lisch one of thos free throws and we win. se la vie.

Were you sitting right behind the Dayton bench?

There were a couple guys there getting after Brian Gregory and the refs.

- Nate

My thoughts are summed up by this, which nobody has mentioned: How is our so-called genius coach letting Bryce Husak take the biggest three pointer in overtime, against Dayton, when the game is on the line?

How? Here, to refresh your memory, is the official sequence. An abominable play:

OT PERIOD Play-by-Play (Page 1)

HOME TEAM: Saint Louis TIME SCORE MAR VISITORS: #17 Dayton

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUB IN : Husak, Bryce 05:00 SUB IN : LITTLE, Charles

SUB OUT: Eberhardt, Barry 05:00 SUB OUT: BINNIE, Jimmy

MISSED JUMPER by Lisch, Kevin 04:36 REBOUND (DEF) by SANDOVAL, Andres

04:14 55-57 V 2 GOOD! LAYUP by LITTLE, Charles [PNT]

04:14 ASSIST by ROBERTS, Brian

TURNOVR by Liddell III, Tommie 03:50 STEAL by HUELSMAN, Kurt

REBOUND (DEF) by Husak, Bryce 03:29 MISSED 3 PTR by SANDOVAL, Andres

MISSED JUMPER by Husak, Bryce 03:05 REBOUND (DEF) by JOHNSON, Marcus

02:57 55-59 V 4 GOOD! DUNK by LITTLE, Charles [FB/PNT]

02:57 ASSIST by ROBERTS, Brian

TIMEOUT TEAM 02:56

SUB IN : Brown, Danny 02:56 SUB IN : BINNIE, Jimmy

SUB OUT: Husak, Bryce 02:56 SUB IN : WARREN, London

02:56 SUB OUT: SANDOVAL, Andres

02:56 SUB OUT: HUELSMAN, Kurt

MISSED 3 PTR by Brown, Danny 02:23 REBOUND (DEF) by JOHNSON, Marcus

02:06 55-62 V 7 GOOD! 3 PTR by ROBERTS, Brian

etc. etc.

We played real well. This team is not used to being in these kind of games and it really showed in OT. Lisch didnt come through when we needed him.

Officiating was HORRRIBLE. Terrible. Could someone please expain to me what happened at the end.

We need alot more out of Barry and Bryce. They need to at least be an active presence.

Overall great effort by our guys, espicially Luke and Tommie

lisch was totally spent. realize he had to guard roberts and handle the point most of the game. and the very athletic and physical #14 guarded kevin when he was bringing the ball down and worked him hard. when kevin lisch missed 2 free throws you know he is tired.

roberts on the other hand guarded polk or eckerle most of the time. i.e. got to rest when dayton didnt have the ball.

polk is a good kid, and an apparent leader, but him not contributing just kills us. he started guarding roberts but gave up 8 points to him very quickly. switched to kevin who did no better. imo i think we should have either let kevin guard someone else.

roberts was spectacular. he was good last year he is great this year.

on a good note i though knollmeyer did fine while he was in. on the other hand relphorde short time in was not good. i wish we would have given mitchell a few minutes. i think he would have been a good candidate to have guarded roberts as anthony loves to guard.

I thought in OT we were worn out and it showed. Our starters got more of a breather in the first half when RM did more subbing. When Dayton went smaller sitting 54 and rotating 41 in and out I don't think RM felt comfortable using AK and MR for defensive reasons. Also the game was on the line so RM played his best players more. I think that was the right call, but it killed us in OT.

The only reason I can see not giving AM a shot is he's pretty turnover prone. Kindof like the old Danny Brown (who has greatly improved in that area).

switched to kevin who did no better.

I don't think that is an accurate statement Roberts still scored with Kevin on him, but Kevin certainly did a better job than Polk. Roberts just shot 3's over Polk, but with Kevin on him he needed to use screens or try to drive and draw a foul (which the horrible refs gave him everytime even if he was just out of control at the end of the drive and tossing up a prayer). Lisch did a great job on him at the end of the game when the refs gave Dayton 2 chances and they tried to go to him, but Kevin didn't give him anything.

I don't think that is an accurate statement Roberts still scored with Kevin on him, but Kevin certainly did a better job than Polk. Roberts just shot 3's over Polk, but with Kevin on him he needed to use screens or try to drive and draw a foul (which the horrible refs gave him everytime even if he was just out of control at the end of the drive and tossing up a prayer). Lisch did a great job on him at the end of the game when the refs gave Dayton 2 chances and they tried to go to him, but Kevin didn't give him anything.

i agree kevin made roberts work harder, but the end result was ultimately the same. roberts scored. ironically, while kevin made roberts work harder, kevin of course was expending the energy to do that as well and coupled with the hard coverage he also faced from dayton, kevin was spent. roberts on the other hand typically guarded polk or eckerle i.e. was resting when on defense.

that was the game right there.

ood note i though knollmeyer did fine while he was in. on the other hand relphorde short time in was not good. i wish we would have given mitchell a few minutes. i think he would have been a good candidate to have guarded roberts as anthony loves to guard.

I wish we saw AM also. I though he was the best Billiken player during our debacle in Washington. Granted, it was garbage minutes, but I could tell his speed, athleticism, and energy during that time. He needs to get some minutes.

I wish we saw AM also. I though he was the best Billiken player during our debacle in Washington. Granted, it was garbage minutes, but I could tell his speed, athleticism, and energy during that time. He needs to get some minutes.

I noted the same thing Nash. if we are rebuilding, put him in and let him learn/make mistakes. i would like to see what he could do.

what i thought of saturday night is that if we are going to have zero offense in the game between polk and eckerle, why not put in mitchell instead to hound roberts? we wouldnt have lost anything offensively directly and would have gained some energy to lisch.

and i wouldnt doubt if mitchell would have done as good of a job defending roberts as kevin did simply because mitchell is bigger and faster than kevin. hey even if they only did it for 6 or 7 minutes it would have been a nice break.

what i thought of saturday night is that if we are going to have zero offense in the game between polk and eckerle, why not put in mitchell instead to hound roberts? we wouldnt have lost anything offensively directly and would have gained some energy to lisch.

and i wouldnt doubt if mitchell would have done as good of a job defending roberts as kevin did simply because mitchell is bigger and faster than kevin. hey even if they only did it for 6 or 7 minutes it would have been a nice break.

Unless Mitchell has learned to play under much better control than he showed in his longer stretches earlier in the year, a savvy player like Roberts would have torched him.

Unless Mitchell has learned to play under much better control than he showed in his longer stretches earlier in the year, a savvy player like Roberts would have torched him.

What does it hurt to try in the 1st half? You are probably right, but give him a couple of minutes out there to prove you/us wrong. From what i'm hearing, he wouldn't have been any worse than polk.

What does it hurt to try in the 1st half? You are probably right, but give him a couple of minutes out there to prove you/us wrong. From what i'm hearing, he wouldn't have been any worse than polk.

You might be right, but I don't know if you take that chance in a close game. I don't understand why AM, MR, or AK didn't get a longer chance in the GW game. That was a game in which nothing could have gone any worse than it already was. That would have been the time to get them out there and see what they could do in a game.

You might be right, but I don't know if you take that chance in a close game. I don't understand why AM, MR, or AK didn't get a longer chance in the GW game. That was a game in which nothing could have gone any worse than it already was. That would have been the time to get them out there and see what they could do in a game.

I don't disagree with that.

Roy, is Mitchelll able to handle the ball well enough to take Polk and Eckerle's minutes?

I noted the same thing Nash. if we are rebuilding, put him in and let him learn/make mistakes. i would like to see what he could do.

Agreed. In fact, I would like to see AM get Eckerle's minutes or at least a portion of them. Eckerle has shown me zilch as to why he should be on the floor. I know he is a great student of the game and Coach loves his headiness and tenacity, BUT if you are relatively slow of foot and 6'1 you better be able to shoot the lights out to have any value at this level. At least to date, he hasn't been able to do that. He is not afraid to shoot which is a blessing and a curse. I love that he has a scorer's mentality, but at times he seems to force the issue a little and his shots have not been falling

AM has far more athletic ability than Eckerle and this team can use all the athletic ability they can get. I hope we get a chance to see more of him

Roy, is Mitchelll able to handle the ball well enough to take Polk and Eckerle's minutes?

imo he can handle the ball as good as eckerle. of course not as good as polk. however, he wouldnt have been the point guard. and lisch and liddell would have taken that responsibility for those few minutes.

It didn't seem Mitchell was very highly regarded coming out of high school, so I wasn't really expecting him to play much as a frosh. I don't think our previous coach would be playing him much this year either.

If my schedule permits, I plan on emailing the coaches show tonight and brining this up.

If my schedule permits, I plan on emailing the coaches show tonight and brining this up.

my guess on rickma's answer would be that anthony doesnt know the offense well enough.

in response to brian above, straight out man to man effort mitchell would have done well imo. probably as good if not better than lisch. not sure why you think he would have gotten eaten alive.

i can understand completely the excuse being he doesnt know the offensive system well enough. the knock on mitchell is the fact he came from a high school that was far from offensively regimated and lacked basketball common sense in the way the school played. they succeeded on ability alone. liddell was the same way only his strength in high school was offensive while mitchell thrived on defense and tenacity.

my guess on rickma's answer would be that anthony doesnt know the offense well enough.

in response to brian above, straight out man to man effort mitchell would have done well imo. probably as good if not better than lisch. not sure why you think he would have gotten eaten alive.

i can understand completely the excuse being he doesnt know the offensive system well enough. the knock on mitchell is the fact he came from a high school that was far from offensively regimated and lacked basketball common sense in the way the school played. they succeeded on ability alone. liddell was the same way only his strength in high school was offensive while mitchell thrived on defense and tenacity.

Mitchell is overly aggressive. He doesn't know how to not over commit. He doesn't know how to properly read passing lanes. He is too easy to fool with a fake. He takes way too many chances. At least that is the read I got him in his time he was out on the court for extended minutes early in the year. I know you like how he got some steals, but I would counter that is the most overrated statistic, if not looked at in its proper context. It just means he was willing to take chances.