Next years team.

bauman

I know we have been dancing all around this issue of which current players won't (for whatever reason) be coming back next year, and my purpose here is NOT to revisit that debate. However, whether you agree with it or not it certainly appears that MR, AM, DM & AK will not return next year, unless they just want to ride the bench for a couple of more years (and RM is willing to let them do so). I just don't see them returning-if they can't get in games this year they certainly won't get in any after next year's recruiting class arrives.

Given the above, it just hit home to me that next years team will only have 4 scholarship players returning from this year-KL, TL, BE & PE. Can anyone ever remember such a complete roster turnover at SLU? Talk about next year being Rick's team! Assuming RM doesn't ascribe to the BS school of saving scholarships, that gives him 4 more to use to fill next years squad. If that happens, you got to believe that at least 2-3 will be JUCOs. If not, it would seem wise to hold a couple back so as not to have 9 freshmen coming in together. Also, it would be nice to have more than 3 openings for the 08-09 incoming class which includes such studs as TG, BA & RC.

Assuming RM doesn't ascribe to the BS school of saving scholarships, that gives him 4 more to use to fill next years squad. If that happens, you got to believe that at least 2-3 will be JUCOs. If not, it would seem wise to hold a couple back so as not to have 9 freshmen coming in together. Also, it would be nice to have more than 3 openings for the 08-09 incoming class which includes such studs as TG, BA & RC.

or maybe rickma plans to chase away 2-3 new recruits each year. save the best and recruit over the others. it will be indeed interesting to see it all play out. i find it hard to believe as well he would want 9 freshmen. but if 2-3 are sent on their way each year the turnover continues each year.

do not forget that jucos are still a hard get academically. a juco to slu means they have to have the right credits to be on pace to be in the junior class in an existing slu major and on pace to graduate. the big public universities will always have a tremendous advantage getting the juco kids because of this unfair ncaa rule.

I know we have been dancing all around this issue of which current players won't (for whatever reason) be coming back next year, and my purpose here is NOT to revisit that debate. However, whether you agree with it or not it certainly appears that MR, AM, DM & AK will not return next year, unless they just want to ride the bench for a couple of more years (and RM is willing to let them do so). I just don't see them returning-if they can't get in games this year they certainly won't get in any after next year's recruiting class arrives.

Given the above, it just hit home to me that next years team will only have 4 scholarship players returning from this year-KL, TL, BE & PE. Can anyone ever remember such a complete roster turnover at SLU? Talk about next year being Rick's team! Assuming RM doesn't ascribe to the BS school of saving scholarships, that gives him 4 more to use to fill next years squad. If that happens, you got to believe that at least 2-3 will be JUCOs. If not, it would seem wise to hold a couple back so as not to have 9 freshmen coming in together. Also, it would be nice to have more than 3 openings for the 08-09 incoming class which includes such studs as TG, BA & RC.

I have my doubts that all four will be gone. At this point we have all our scholarhips full and we continue to hear about filling "1 or 2 more". As you say, we'll only have 4 guys coming back. Since none of us have been in practice, it's hard to say how the other guys are actually doing. If you remember, Coach tried to sit TL3 for the first few games. If he can sit one of the best players in the league, I don't think it's too far out of reach that he sits the other guys because they aren't ready.......yet. Just my opinion, but I think MR and AM stay. Coach has been very complimentary of Anthony with his only knock being he is having trouble adjusting to the system. I don't think coach wants to hold scholarships. I also don't think he's going to ink 4 more guys. Hence, some guys are gonna stay on.

I don't see the writing on the wall that says that none of them will be back next year. I don't think all 4 will be back but I'd be I'd be surprised to see all 4 go also. Personally I'd like to see MR and AM back.

I have my doubts that all four will be gone. At this point we have all our scholarhips full and we continue to hear about filling "1 or 2 more". As you say, we'll only have 4 guys coming back. Since none of us have been in practice, it's hard to say how the other guys are actually doing. If you remember, Coach tried to sit TL3 for the first few games. If he can sit one of the best players in the league, I don't think it's too far out of reach that he sits the other guys because they aren't ready.......yet. Just my opinion, but I think MR and AM stay. Coach has been very complimentary of Anthony with his only knock being he is having trouble adjusting to the system. I don't think coach wants to hold scholarships. I also don't think he's going to ink 4 more guys. Hence, some guys are gonna stay on.

Well said.

Think about it - RM is not happy that he does not have enough players to practice the way he wants to now so why would he want all 4 to leave. The chance of him recruiting 4 new players that are better in the spring session will not be that easy. He has continued to say that he wants to add 1-2 more players - that seems reasonable. He always has the PE schollie - I know many have said that he plans to keep PE but the truth is if it comes down to keeping PE on schollie and passing on a quality big man that can step in and play immediately rather than have to wait for the freshmen to adjust then don't be surprised if he chooses the big man over PE. Now, that assumes that all current 4 in question return and I would agree that I would think that one or two will leave for whatever the reason. Lets not forget that there is no assurances that the 2 new guys will be a fit academically - I am not saying they are not just that they might leave for more reasons than just playing time. I still can not understand why DM did not leave at the semester - has second semester started officially yet?

I still can not understand why DM did not leave at the semester - has second semester started officially yet?

first i think it is a good sign that maybe the stories of rickma chasing players off are not true. nothing would make me happier.

second, maybe maguire is smart enough to realize that he wont ever be in the nba and the level of a slu education is better than the likes of say an siue education in spite of no playing time. that said, i am sure there are some fantastic academic low d-1 schools that would love to have dustin or any of our players on the billiken roster.

Think about it - RM is not happy that he does not have enough players to practice the way he wants to now so why would he want all 4 to leave. The chance of him recruiting 4 new players that are better in the spring session will not be that easy. He has continued to say that he wants to add 1-2 more players - that seems reasonable. He always has the PE schollie - I know many have said that he plans to keep PE but the truth is if it comes down to keeping PE on schollie and passing on a quality big man that can step in and play immediately rather than have to wait for the freshmen to adjust then don't be surprised if he chooses the big man over PE. Now, that assumes that all current 4 in question return and I would agree that I would think that one or two will leave for whatever the reason. Lets not forget that there is no assurances that the 2 new guys will be a fit academically - I am not saying they are not just that they might leave for more reasons than just playing time. I still can not understand why DM did not leave at the semester - has second semester started officially yet?

With PE it is eventually going to come down to what he wants to do. Does he want to stay on the fact track in premed or does he want to stay on a basketball scholarship. Next year he will only be more pressed for time. He is going to cross the same bridge Mimlitz crossed. Med school or basketball.

With PE it is eventually going to come down to what he wants to do. Does he want to stay on the fact track in premed or does he want to stay on a basketball scholarship. Next year he will only be more pressed for time. He is going to cross the same bridge Mimlitz crossed. Med school or basketball.

I'm fairly confident that Paul can do both....

>>Personally I'd like to see MR and AM back.<<

Put my name on that petition. There will not be playing time for all the players coming in the next class (6 or 7 or 8?). Why chase off MR and AM only to recruit new players and repeat the cycle of shipping out parts of that class? It only makes some level of sense if Rickma is already recruiting over guys in his current class of 5. The one thing we desperately need for the next class IMHO is a JUCO 5. If someone from the current roster has to go to make room for a JUCO 5, sorry, but at the tribal counsel, I'd vote for the boot (unless I had an alliance with a really hot half naked chick on the island and she promised to make it worth my while to vote the other way).

I'm hoping the first priority JUCO is good PG then a big. DP's gone and would hate to thrust a frosh, Kwain, into having total responsibility for the point.

From the reports on KM, I'm more comfortable letting him run the point, than having Thompson as our center. I'm in the camp that a JUCO 5 is the top priority for the spring.

I'm fairly confident that Paul can do both....

It is a lot harder than most people realize. He can probably do it if he is willing to put off med school for a little while. The time he is required to spend in labs is going to increase every semester if he keeps a full premed load. Money wise it might be the smart thing to do. If he does four years on full scholarship, he will owe a lot less money when he gets out of med school.

It is a lot harder than most people realize. He can probably do it if he is willing to put off med school for a little while. The time he is required to spend in labs is going to increase every semester if he keeps a full premed load. Money wise it might be the smart thing to do. If he does four years on full scholarship, he will owe a lot less money when he gets out of med school.

Kids change plans all the time. I see Paul playing ball as much as he can. Similarly, I really thought Baniak (also a very gifted and bright student) would be in Med School as well. Sounds like he is still playing ball and still has academics/career on hold. Sounds easy to quit, but just like 40 year old pro's, it's hard to stop playing.

Kids change plans all the time. I see Paul playing ball as much as he can. Similarly, I really thought Baniak (also a very gifted and bright student) would be in Med School as well. Sounds like he is still playing ball and still has academics/career on hold. Sounds easy to quit, but just like 40 year old pro's, it's hard to stop playing.

The thing with Paul is he was ready to quit before Majerus saw him and asked him to play. For selfish reasons I hope he sticks around. I think we need him next year.

first i think it is a good sign that maybe the stories of rickma chasing players off are not true. nothing would make me happier.

second, maybe maguire is smart enough to realize that he wont ever be in the nba and the level of a slu education is better than the likes of say an siue education in spite of no playing time. that said, i am sure there are some fantastic academic low d-1 schools that would love to have dustin or any of our players on the billiken roster.

Put me down on the list you would be shocked to see all 4 not return. Brad could not sign 4 guys in the Spring but RM easily can. IMO, it has nothing to do with the need to have practice players, difficulty in getting JUCOs into SLU, etc. Heck, most JUCOs don't sign until the Spring anyway.

In short, I believe that RM will base his decision on whether or not the kid(s) can help the team or not. Obviously, someone is not coming back - hence the active recruiting. At the same time, we simply don't know what is going on. My 2 biggest questions remain: 1. why did DM red-shirt (is he really working out, lifting weights, improving his shot, getting a higher release point, improving his footwork.... or not? With all of the sources on this Board, am very surprised we have heard nothing about DM. Does RM really want him or not? Seems like he would have been able to help more this year than AM. With him not making the team this year, with RM's active pursuit of Roth (similar outside shooter), I thought - and still do - that he will not be back. Being a redshirt, though, can he transfer to another Div 1 school and play next year? If so, they why would he leave after 1st semester.

2. why did no one transfer after first semester? As mentioned, I would be surprised by all 4 leaving but did expect AK, MR or AM to leave. Maybe RM said he would help them relocate if they stay the year.

Question. Have not read RM's book yet. Does it indicate whether RM's thoughts about when kids are best to leave. Not talking about a guy who gets upset and walks away without thinking it through. Most players would seem to be better off if they left after the first semester. With his prior teams, did the guys usually leave after the first semester or after the second? Does RM condition his assistance on when they leave?

i'm with brian on this. the life of a division one athlete is incredible. there is absolutely no private time and study time is a tough fit. take an unbelieveable major like pre-med seems near impossible and be a true d-1 athlete.

if i remember correctly, wasnt matt baniak originally pursuing pre-med? never happened, and matt was a fairly bright young man as well. just too many demands. i hope paul can do it. it would be a spectacular achievement.

i'm with brian on this. the life of a division one athlete is incredible. there is absolutely no private time and study time is a tough fit. take an unbelieveable major like pre-med seems near impossible and be a true d-1 athlete.

if i remember correctly, wasnt matt baniak originally pursuing pre-med? never happened, and matt was a fairly bright young man as well. just too many demands. i hope paul can do it. it would be a spectacular achievement.

There was a quote somewhere when Paul was asked how long he plans to play basketball, the response was "As long as I can". I agree that pre-med and bball aren't easy. I wouldn't be suprised to see his major changed.

Going back a few years but didn't Ted Mimlitz also go to med school. If I remember correctly, he may have had 1 year of eligibility left but skipped it in favor of med school. Believe he is a doctor now. Anyone know for sure.

Going back a few years but didn't Ted Mimlitz also go to med school. If I remember correctly, he may have had 1 year of eligibility left but skipped it in favor of med school. Believe he is a doctor now. Anyone know for sure.

He is definitely a doctor now.

He did quit for school. I noted him earlier in a post saying that Paul was going to face a similar choice soon. I was a kid, but I remember Mimlitz being a pretty good player.

Didn't a bad shoulder also figure into that decision? As I recall he had surgery on it a year or two prior and it never came back completely. He could still play, but lost a little something in strength and shooting.