What's with the attendance?

Pistol

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanksgiving break - they get a pass for this one and those over Christmas. SLU's not the commuter school it used to be.

You got to be kidding, right? Really an all time low. Maybe our other athletes that are in town could have showed up. I guess that would be something like school spirit!! When my daughter played D-1, just a couple of years ago, you could always count on the other athletes to show up, unless they had practice. Not SLU, only when they're asked to be there to be introduced at halftime.

40 percent of freshmen are from the St. Louis area and almost 50 percent of the total undergraduate population is from Missouri. Clearly, when the "Sixth Man" is reduced to six men (and women), the U. still has an incredibly long way to go in instilling a sense of school spirit for athletics.

40 percent of freshmen are from the St. Louis area and almost 50 percent of the total undergraduate population is from Missouri. Clearly, when the "Sixth Man" is reduced to six men (and women), the U. still has an incredibly long way to go in instilling a sense of school spirit for athletics.

Agreed about school spirit having a long way to go at SLU. It isn't easy to turn a ship like that around. I can't speak for the athletes there; I would hope they could show their support at the home games for the money sport in hopes of building more support for their own sports, but that doesn't seem to be the case at SLU.

No matter where the students are from, though, people go home for Thanksgiving and over Christmas break. The dorms close for winter break, and most of the kids in apartments head home as well. 53% of the whole student body (higher % for freshman) live on campus, and most of the rest are in nearby apartments (Lindell Towers, Vandeventer Apts., Coronado, etc.). Just a handful of kids turning out this weekend is pathetic, but I say give them a mulligan for the holidays. Even at the schools that draw well, there are large holes in the student sections for breaks. And the ones that go back to Chesterfield or Belleville or wherever in the area for breaks probably don't prioritize getting back to the city for Saturday night's non-conference basketball game unless it's a big-time opponent. I didn't miss one home game in my four years at SLU, and did my best to get my friends to all those games, but apathy is a hard disease to cure.

Just a handful of kids turning out this weekend is pathetic, but I say give them a mulligan for the holidays. Even at the schools that draw well, there are large holes in the student sections for breaks. And the ones that go back to Chesterfield or Belleville or wherever in the area for breaks probably don't prioritize getting back to the city for Saturday night's non-conference basketball game unless it's a big-time opponent. I didn't miss one home game in my four years at SLU, and did my best to get my friends to all those games, but apathy is a hard disease to cure.

I just wonder how many "mulligans" we'll give out this year. Winter break starts for the students on Dec 18 and lasts until Jan 22. When the break is that long, thats a LARGE part of the basketball season. Games during "winter break" include Loyola, Iupui, Dayton, Rhode Island, & Temple. Now, remember SLU is a highly regarded academic instution as well, and of course students won't dare go to games during finals, so, you have to give them "mulligans for SIU as well, since they'll all be studying.

I think we give too many excuses for these kids NOT to come out. SLU needs to be aware when they announce the Blue Crew as the 6th man, they look rather foolish when there are only 6 people there!!

I just wonder how many "mulligans" we'll give out this year. Winter break starts for the students on Dec 18 and lasts until Jan 22. When the break is that long, thats a LARGE part of the basketball season. Games during "winter break" include Loyola, Iupui, Dayton, Rhode Island, & Temple. Now, remember SLU is a highly regarded academic instution as well, and of course students won't dare go to games during finals, so, you have to give them "mulligans for SIU as well, since they'll all be studying.

I think we give too many excuses for these kids NOT to come out. SLU needs to be aware when they announce the Blue Crew as the 6th man, they look rather foolish when there are only 6 people there!!

my thoughts exactly. a real student section would make getting back for games a priority. as i said before, slu students dont deserve any breaks in the planning of chaifetz seating. they have earned nothing.

I think maybe the Waynesville v Belton 5A Football State Championship kept people away. WHS won 17-7 where is that poster that said they wouldn't beat Kirkwood?

Anyway, they should show up why not meet your friends for the game and hit the landing or Humphrey's afterward what else you got going on?

I'll be in town for the game on the 29th ready to represent.

Thanksgiving break - they get a pass for this one and those over Christmas. SLU's not the commuter school it used to be.

I'm not for giving free passes on the students not showing up, but I have to think the Mizzou game had a lot to do with it. Not many times in the last 1,000 years that a local team has had such a big game and a chance to be #1 in college football.

I'm not for giving free passes on the students not showing up, but I have to think the Mizzou game had a lot to do with it. Not many times in the last 1,000 years that a local team has had such a big game and a chance to be #1 in college football.

I forgot about the MU-KU game as a factor. Between that, Thanksgiving break, and widespread student apathy, it was the perfect storm for SLU students not to show up. Trust me, I don't want to hand out any mulligans, and would love to see a fire lit under the collective ass of the SLU student body. But if they're not around, it doesn't surprise me to see a small handful there. (If it was really THAT few at Pacific, though, that's pathetic).

I know, Thanksgiving weekend. But come on, 4000 people? I can't remember a crowd that small for anything outside of Spirit Express. Pacific isn't a big draw and probably brought zero fans with them, but that crowd was about half the size it should have been. Everybody wants Saturday night games, and that's when the game was played. It looks like a third of the season ticket holders didn't bother to show.

I get that the out of town students were away, but it's not like there are thousands who come to every game. Besides, SLU still has a high percentage of local students.

I'm sure RM will eventually get people through the turnstyles, but it looks like nothing short of winning will make that happen. I thought his reputation alone would get more people in the seats early this year. I'm happy RM is the coach, but he's a lot more reclusive than I realized. I'd rather have him focus on winning games than glad-handing, but it looks like it's going to take some time for the students and the city to warm up to this program.

Was everyone home watching football?

I know, Thanksgiving weekend. But come on, 4000 people? I can't remember a crowd that small for anything outside of Spirit Express. Pacific isn't a big draw and probably brought zero fans with them, but that crowd was about half the size it should have been. Everybody wants Saturday night games, and that's when the game was played. It looks like a third of the season ticket holders didn't bother to show.

I get that the out of town students were away, but it's not like there are thousands who come to every game. Besides, SLU still has a high percentage of local students.

I'm sure RM will eventually get people through the turnstyles, but it looks like nothing short of winning will make that happen. I thought his reputation alone would get more people in the seats early this year. I'm happy RM is the coach, but he's a lot more reclusive than I realized. I'd rather have him focus on winning games than glad-handing, but it looks like it's going to take some time for the students and the city to warm up to this program.

I think you make valid points and don't disagree. But assuming that RM's reputation isn't bringing the fans out, is there anything about the product on the court that you think would attract the casual fan? or even the "somewhat interested" fan?

First of all, the attendance was 6,000+. And the answer to your second question is YES. I was disappointed in the attendance, but not surprised. When the only BCS football program in the state is playing for #1 and the Billiken's opponent is ??? What would you expect?

First of all, the attendance was 6,000+. And the answer to your second question is YES. I was disappointed in the attendance, but not surprised. When the only BCS football program in the state is playing for #1 and the Billiken's opponent is ??? What would you expect?

The box score says 6000+, Timmermann says 4000. I AM a little surprised that Mizzou football would cause such a drag on SLU attendance, especially when you consider no-shows.

I think you make valid points and don't disagree. But assuming that RM's reputation isn't bringing the fans out, is there anything about the product on the court that you think would attract the casual fan? or even the "somewhat interested" fan?

I think SLU has to play a "name" opponent to bring people out, and beat a name opponent to increase crowds for games like Pacifc. Unfortunately the A10 doesn't have names like Louisville, Memphis, DePaul and Marquette...teams that sell tickets based their reputation.

Majerus has been a bit of a recluse. I was expecting a media blitz after he was hired. It never happened. Maybe that is Majerus' fault, maybe it is SLU's I don't know.

Biondi won't be happy if we are pulling in these types of crowds at the new arena.

Guest BillikenReport

I think the attendance was around 6000. It certainly wasn't 4000

Both of those numbers are guesses.

Here's a good number for you: 5

That's the number of Blue Crew members at the game. And apparently it was the same five who attended games in Pittsburgh and Springfield. So those people should be commended.

The box score says 6000+, Timmermann says 4000. I AM a little surprised that Mizzou football would cause such a drag on SLU attendance, especially when you consider no-shows.

I am a big billiken fan. I will attend atleast 7 games this year. Saturday night, it was all about the Tigers.

it was definitely our smallest crowd but Thanksgiving week games always are subject to the vacation of faculty, staff, and travel to family.

What should be said it was a very entertaining game; I am a diehard fan and did not feel like going to see Pacific-who are they to us in the Midwest? Are they considered a western-mid-major?

We have as a team with the exception of Mo State been able to really blow out teams in the second half. Is that coaching or is this team developing character? Bryce Husak not only gets 8 rebounds in 13 minutes but we extend our lead or eat up the other team's lead each time he comes in. Too bad he and BE both had to have so many cheap fouls but this was a very closely refereed game.

Not just a victory. This was a fun game to watch even with a slow start.

i would hate to think that a slu student didnt come to a slu game so they could stay in and watch a mi$$ouri football game.