Danny Brown

Scoop

Should Danny Brown consider a medical red shirt? I just have a feeling with him not practicing all summer he may be a non factor this year. I would hate to see him waste his senior season. He could practice most of the year and be in great shape both physically and mentally for next year. Having another senior around next year would be good for the newbies. I like Danny and just want to see him get the most of his college career.

Should Danny Brown consider a medical red shirt? I just have a feeling with him not practicing all summer he may be a non factor this year. I would hate to see him waste his senior season. He could practice most of the year and be in great shape both physically and mentally for next year. Having another senior around next year would be good for the newbies. I like Danny and just want to see him get the most of his college career.

Would that mess up our scholarship situation with recruits?

If we kept him on, it would keep things more balanced instead of having at huge 08 class. But we definitely couldn't make any more offers could we (and weren't there rumblings of Majerus wanting a 6th recruit this class)

That's not a bad idea. I guess the questions are 1) How out of shape is he and 2) How bad do we need him THIS year. Danny's been one of the most fit and athletic guys on the team since he showed up to campus. I have confidence that he did not let himself go to the extent of Obi and will be working his a$$ off when he can run again. How bad do we need him? I say pretty bad. Depending on who starts, my assumption is that Danny is the 6th man...MAYBE 7 behind Polk. That means we are replacing Danny's production with Dustin/Paul/Anthony. That is kinda scary for unproven, unheralded freshmen (and a soph). All that being said, if Danny won't be able to go full speed until halfway through the season, we definitely need to redshirt him. I like Danny and he has some skills. If he would stop some of the knucklehead turnovers, he could be a great Billiken.

Actually just found a short video interview w/ Danny. Surprising comments as well. Don't know who it's from. Actually has pretty good hops at 2:07

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Now thats a quality interview

Actually, I think it would be best for all if Danny just played the string out this year. Even if he has to miss part of the season. Given his play in the past, I am not sure his situation is not a make or break matter for the team this year. He has one year left and he should just graduate and move on so the program can grow. If he was a junior or soph. maybe but not as a senior.

Is this post a joke? I have to assume it is. Lets be kind and just hope Danny has used his time at SLU wisely and leaves with a degree he can utilize off the basketball court.

Skip, where is the love for Danny? I thought he was your boy.

I think Danny's fine, I'd just prefer not to have him on the basketball court. If I was coach, I'd make a deal with the opponent where I'd agree not to play Danny, but to make up for it I'd start the game with 4 turnovers giving them the 1st 4 possessions and just call it even from there. Seriously, I'm sure Danny is a nice kid, but he has zero focus on the court. He can get to the rim all day and rarely come away with points. He shoots air balls. Sorry, I just don't think Danny is a good basketball player. I would expect that we have freshman who will move ahead of Danny. I'd say our first 7 are

Bryce, Barry, Luke, Marcus, Tommie, Kevin, Dwayne with the 8th being Adam if he can get healthy if not than probably Anthony Mitchell.

I think Danny's fine, I'd just prefer not to have him on the basketball court. If I was coach, I'd make a deal with the opponent where I'd agree not to play Danny, but to make up for it I'd start the game with 4 turnovers giving them the 1st 4 possessions and just call it even from there. Seriously, I'm sure Danny is a nice kid, but he has zero focus on the court. He can get to the rim all day and rarely come away with points. He shoots air balls. Sorry, I just don't think Danny is a good basketball player. I would expect that we have freshman who will move ahead of Danny. I'd say our first 7 are

Bryce, Barry, Luke, Marcus, Tommie, Kevin, Dwayne with the 8th being Adam if he can get healthy if not than probably Anthony Mitchell.

Danny's a little better than all that. I too get frustrated with him. He overplays the ball on defense and loses his assignments frequently. Also the TO problem. JJ was the same way. When they were on the court together it was a trainwreck on defense. He can get to the basket on the baseline and runs the floor extremely well. He is also underrated as a spot up outside shooter.

DB always falls through the cracks. Not quite as good as KL or TL so the team never really plays around him. So far we have never played offensively to Danny's strengths. If we ran a little more and took guys out of the post so Danny could beat his man baseline he would be more effective. Unfortunetly what is best for Danny has not been the best way to win for the team.

Danny's a little better than all that. I too get frustrated with him. He overplays the ball on defense and loses his assignments frequently. Also the TO problem. JJ was the same way. When they were on the court together it was a trainwreck on defense. He can get to the basket on the baseline and runs the floor extremely well. He is also underrated as a spot up outside shooter.

DB always falls through the cracks. Not quite as good as KL or TL so the team never really plays around him. So far we have never played offensively to Danny's strengths. If we ran a little more and took guys out of the post so Danny could beat his man baseline he would be more effective. Unfortunetly what is best for Danny has not been the best way to win for the team.

Danny can beat his man regularly, but when he gets to the hole he seldom finishes. I recall a couple of flashy plays where he put it in and looked like a real player, but those were far outnumbered by the times he'd try the flash, beat his man and miss. If RM is the consumate teacher Danny could be a good student because he has the tools.

Danny can beat his man regularly, but when he gets to the hole he seldom finishes. I recall a couple of flashy plays where he put it in and looked like a real player, but those were far outnumbered by the times he'd try the flash, beat his man and miss. If RM is the consumate teacher Danny could be a good student because he has the tools.

Why stop with Danny Brown? Why don't we try to redshirt others? DM and AK come to mind. Had Bryce not already redshirted, would anyone be in favor of that since he is walking around with his foot in cast only weeks before the season starts? Honest and frank answer: we didn't get RM to coach these types of players?

We all love our Billikens including Danny Brown. Graduation, though, is the one constant in college ball. Sometimes, a team experiences "addition by subtraction." Until the RM recruits arrive, we need help this year from DB, AK and DM.