Femi John gets scholarship offer from SLU

Guest BillikenReport

Guest BillikenReport

There's a premium story on the front page of my site, but I thought some people here might want to know that.

- Nate

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BillikenReport

>does this mean no roth

Not necessarily.

It means that one of the three kids who already had an offer will be left out.

- Nate

1) Femi is that good and worthy of a scholly

2) no guarantee that all the recruits will qualify

3) any one of the other three have indicated to SLU they aren't interested

4) someone on the current team isn't expected back in 08-09

5) a little gamesmanship by Majerus, by creating four known offers for only three spots you create some "demand" and quicken a decision by any/all of them.

6) just hedging their bets that landing all 3 of the others wouldn't happen and getting the next best thing.

Personally, I think it could be a blend of any of these but #5 is quite possible, especially considering a quote in Nate's article that Femi wasn't expecting an offer this early.

as much as i was for john committing to slu, this tells me that slu apparently doesnt feel as good about suggs and perry imo because one would think femi john is going to jump at this.

>1) Femi is that good and worthy of a scholly

>2) no guarantee that all the recruits will qualify

>3) any one of the other three have indicated to SLU they

>aren't interested

>4) someone on the current team isn't expected back in 08-09

>5) a little gamesmanship by Majerus, by creating four known

>offers for only three spots you create some "demand" and

>quicken a decision by any/all of them.

>6) just hedging their bets that landing all 3 of the others

>wouldn't happen and getting the next best thing.

>

>Personally, I think it could be a blend of any of these but

>#5 is quite possible, especially considering a quote in

>Nate's article that Femi wasn't expecting an offer this

>early.

He is that good. He's 6'4 200lbs. He's strong and has a very good midrange jumper. He plays bigger than his size. Good athlete too and he's related to former Bills soccer star Will John.

I'd bet Suggs has indicated he's going elsewhere. Don't know about Perry's situation so can't comment. Am surprised that Roth has not verballed, since he said he really liked SLU. I'd still like to see a 6'7" guy in this class.

Guest BillikenReport

>I'd bet Suggs has indicated he's going elsewhere.

I wouldn't make that bet.

But the recruitment of Suggs is different from everybody else they are recruiting, because he's got so many good options available to him. If you get Roth and John, which seems likely, you can still take Suggs later on.

If you don't get Suggs, you're still in good shape because you've filled the spots you wanted to: center, power forward, point guard and one or two shooting guards.

There are some other things at play here as well.

- Nate

Is it looking like Perry might be the odd one out?

Femi John sounds like a kind of player that RM would like. People normally link him to Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, and Michael Doleac, and while he thought the world of those guys, he loves role players who will do whatever it takes for the team. I remember reading here that Femi is that kind of player, whereas his high school teammate Torres Roundtree needs to be the star to succeed.

I have only seen these two players on tape or tv but my impression is that they are not the same. Mitchell is a ferocious rebounder who defends intensely and can get to the basket and finish. He is still a work in progress on other aspects of his game, particularly his shooting from outside.

John is a shooter and scorer who is athletic and a team player who can shoot and when hot can dominate a game offensively with his shooting range--not as pure a shooter as Roth but he can hit shots. He is a nice passer and a smart player.

When I was speaking to Rick about a week ago he emphasized that he really like players who have upside potential and who he feels will fit it with the team. He did not say it directly but it sounded like he would prefer not to have to deal with players who are primadonnas who have big egos and have to be the star. I see John as a player that Rick thinks can help the TEAM. If Brad were to get a commitment from him we would have all been delighted. When did we become Duke?

My impression is that RM is a good teacher. He obviously sees something in Femi he likes. Maybe I'm wrong, but it isn't it his shot that needs the most work? I get the impression his athleticism is very good. I'm sure RM thinks he has the potential to be good. He may also be a candidate to redshirt as we don't want the classes to overloaded.

RM also stated that he wanted to make the Bills THE St.Louis team. His committments and who we know have offers for 2008 are all from the area or within a couple of hundred miles except for KM. It looks like he is trying to do exactly that. Personally, I like it. I know every player won't be a star. Some will be role players and that is fine. I don't know whether Femi will be (if he commits) a role player or a star, none of us do.

I'm not a SLU Alum. I became a Bills fan because it was our local team. I would love to see us making the swwet 16 or better with a team full of local kids. Mack Brown at Texas openly says if a Texas kid is close to a kid from elsewhere, he will take the Texas kid ... even if he is rated a bit below. It builds loyalty. I know football and basketball aren't the same as basketball only has 13 scholarships but some of the best teams we have seen here all have players who never become stars, but they fill their role and are vital to the success of the team.

Again, I'm not saying Femi will only be a role player, I have no clue ... but even if I knew in advance that's the way it ends up. I hope he becomes a Bill.

Come on Femi make the committment. If not we may have to take Scott Suggs instead. I'm looking forward to seeing a few opponents get Femi'd.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I like this move,whatever the behind the scenes reason was for it. BS always waited until too late to move on to plan B. It's mid June and RM makes the move to plan B in time to convince him he was plan A all along. Face it, there are a lot of good coaches, good recruiters and good schools with historicly better programs than ours. You're not going to get all your targets. You're lucky to get half of them and RM's already got half in the bag.

All offers seem to be to high quality recruits with Suggs being the most coveted. If two out of the four commit you call Suggs and let him know there's one left for whomever takes it first and you hope it's him. Unless he gives you some indication he's leaning towards SLU it doesn't make sense to hold it in hopes of landing him if another one of your targets wants it. Now you could hold it if you're satisfied with the five you've got and don't mind letting one go unused until spring and weigh your possibilities then regarding potential juco recruits. Worst case scenario then is you elect not to use it and have 4 scholarships for 09 instead of 3.

Guest BillikenReport

No real comparison between the two.

Femi had D-1 offers before his junior season.

Mitchell had one D-1 offer after his senior season.

- Nate

I saw Mitchell play against Alton at East Side. Hopefully it was his an off game for him because he was nothing special. He wasn't even one of the better players on the court. He couldn't shoot, couldn't hit free throws and didn't show consistent intensity on the defensive end. He didn't show any impressive inside moves either, but I don't recall him having the ball inside much. He looks 6'3/6'4.

I had heard we were after him so I watched and couldn't understand why. He did run the floor well, but missed a dunk on the only break he had. He did show one flash when he was defending in the open court giving a real effort and causing the ball handler a problem, but that was about it. The guy looks athletic and if he turns up the intensity a couple notches has potential as a defender, but looks like a real nonfactor on offense. I don't see where he fits in except for offering practice depth for next year. I don't think we're going to redshirt him and have 7 players in one class and if theses other players are as advertised I don't see where he fits in after next year except in the same role unless he developes into a shut down defender.

Someone who has seen Femi play ... how is he defensively. Any possibility of him becoming or backing up the point?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Guest BillikenReport

> Someone who has seen Femi play ... how is he defensively.

>Any possibility of him becoming or backing up the point?

John is a pure wing player. I don't think you would recruit him to back up the point.

Once John gets his jumper to fall more consistently, he has a chance to be a very nice player. He's got good size (height and weight), can run and jump.

I haven't seen him do much defensively, in a one-on-one situation, because McCluer North had a player who was their go-to defender. But based on John's skill set I would think he'd be a good defender down the road.

- Nate