Bernies Comments on SLU

I see Bernie did have to get his dig into BS.

Not being local, did Brad not court the press at all? We seen similiar comments from Bob Ramsey and Frank. Both are hardcore Billiken supporters.

Maybe after those mid-season games when he sent AT to post game comments did not go over too well.

>I see Bernie did have to get his dig into BS.

>

>Not being local, did Brad not court the press at all? We

>seen similiar comments from Bob Ramsey and Frank. Both are

>hardcore Billiken supporters.

>

>Maybe after those mid-season games when he sent AT to post

>game comments did not go over too well.

Brad was well liked as a person among the STL media. Handled most of his business privately.

I still have to laugh every time I see the posts which continue to come regarding assistant coaches handling the media post-games. This happens frequently at some of the better programs in the country in some games. Non-issue.

>It is just a summary of everything that has been posted on

>this board for the last few weeks. Regardless, it is

>good to see Bernie present the information to the local

>masses.

Another example of more media attention for SLU. Circulation of more than a few hundred thousand from the only local paper in town, their website, the guy's internet forum and radio show vs the 25-50 people on this board on regular basis, ...no offense to the board Steve. People need to get more and higher quality info out of the beat writer and Cusamano and Ramsey, the people who are affiliated with SLU on a daily basis. That is where info should be coming that isn't often there. Miklasz' job isn't to get the scoops for SLU athletics.

Don't understand the needless references to other conferences in nearly every local media article written in regards to SLU. But the attention positive or negative...this time positive should always welcomed.

On PowerMizzou Gabe D reiterated (as he did on Bernie's show) that head to head against Missouri, SLU could expect to land no more than 1 of 10 recruits. Categorically states that Suggs, Brandenburg and other top recruits in area will not choose SLU. As pitiful as they have been the past several years, you would think there would be at least a trace of humility.

I am absolutely all for media attention. I am not negative towards that at all.

Also, Billikens.com's numbers are a little better than 25 - 30... We are not PowerMizzou, but we have a few more readers than that.

Agreed.

MU people are living in a dreamworld if they think they are still big-time. They WERE.

Norm Stewart had an ORGANIZATION, with a pipeline of loyal servants who fed the pipeline for years.

MU is just another school, no big time alumini that can call McDonald

All Americans to help bring them in (like Walton, Jabbar, etc.).

MU is not like UCLA that can recover from a bad coach or two.

IT IS OVER.

They make it easy for me to continue hating SPUMAC (scandal plagued university of missouri). The funny part is that for years they have claimed they shouldn't even play SLU because we are irrelevant (most not all SPUMAC fans). We haven't done too much to negate that viewpoint but how relevant are they? The funny part is the "Majerus won't last" and classic "Majerus is fat" comments. They can't handle that SLU is now spending $1mil/yr. on a coach, $85mil arena, bigger staff, chartered flights and getting the media hype. I think Mike Anderson is a good coach who will win. Too bad he went to MU. None of that matters as we don't play MU.

>Agreed.

>

>MU people are living in a dreamworld if they think they are

>still big-time. They WERE.

>

>Norm Stewart had an ORGANIZATION, with a pipeline of loyal

>servants who fed the pipeline for years.

>

>MU is just another school, no big time alumini that can call

>McDonald

>All Americans to help bring them in (like Walton, Jabbar,

>etc.).

>

>MU is not like UCLA that can recover from a bad coach or

>two.

>

>IT IS OVER.

When I moved here, I was amazed at the arrogance of the Mizloser fans and the way the media often treated them as a big time program. They are not one of the heavyweight programs of college basketball, yet that's how they perceive themselves.

As mediocre as we have been the past two years, we've still had a better rpi than them both seasons. And we now have a much more accomplished coach than they do. I thought Anderson was solid at UAB and will do a fine job, but I seem to recall he was like their 5th or 6th choice.

he is well respected and generally has the inside info on a lot of Mizzou recruiting but he is also a very biased source so he loses credibility when he predicts that 9 of 10 Mizzou/SLU recruits will choose MU.

My argument would largely ignore the Soderberg years where maybe that was true but even if that era was included you can't tell me Mizzou wouldn't have loved to have a Lisch type player on their team.

Going back a little further the best players to come from the Missouri side of the area that either program would have loved to have were:

McKinney (MU)

Grimes (MU)

Hughes (SLU)

Baniak (SLU)

Tatum (SLU)

Parker (MU but if SLU had more schollys that year likely SLU)

Grawer (MU)

Thames (MU)

Highmark (SLU)

Carawell (Duke with no MU consideration)

Woods (Wake)

White (G-town with no MU consideration)

Ryan Robertson (KU)

I'm sure I'm missing some players but the point was not to have an exhaustive list but rather to show that the proper percentage is closer to 50% than 10%.

Courtside,

Concerning the post game shows, to my knowledge it was never done at SLU with Lo and Spoon. Also, with Brad, it only happened when SLU lost, never when we won. With RM, because he is a more high profile coach than Brad, I can see him easily passing that chore on to AT or Porter, win or lose.

Tarheel

the issue wasn't that an assistant would occasionally do the post-game show, the issue was that it ONLY happened after the worst losses. Admittedly, I don't listen to the post game shows of other teams around the country and if Courtside says it is commonplace for big time coaches to skip the post-game show when things didn't go well then how can I disagree with him?

>the issue wasn't that an assistant would occasionally do the

>post-game show, the issue was that it ONLY happened after

>the worst losses. Admittedly, I don't listen to the post

>game shows of other teams around the country and if

>Courtside says it is commonplace for big time coaches to

>skip the post-game show when things didn't go well then how

>can I disagree with him?

That's exactly what I am saying. And yes it usually happens after a tough loss. The frequency and amount of teams that do so vary, some much more often than others, some not at all. But it happens plenty. I've never been all that caught up in sound bites and post-game shows. Most aren't really worthy of people's time imo. Poor interviewers, and reluctance aren't usually good match.

Kids do not know about the Mizzou run under Stewart.

MU is done.

Anderson is solid but cannot get them there... if you want to play in Big 12, MU is 6th-7th most attractive place to play at best.

Much less ACC, SEC, and Big East which are clearly better conferences, and Big 10 and Pac 10 which are somewhat more attractive.

Cannot wait to hear MU fans whine in about 2-3 yrs if Majerus does good work and gets us some big time players.

I think Missouri was in good shape with a couple of the local 2008 prospects and might still land some of them, but St. Louis U. has probably caught up with its new hire.

Missouri has Mike Anderson and its new building going for it, along with playing in the Big 12. But the Tigers have a tough road trying to beat Kansas and Texas and the rest of the conference every year. Plus, there are rumblings behind the scenes about people not being happy with the Anderson hire. (I think he'll have success there once he gets his own recruits in place who can play like he likes to play.)

But SLU now has a coach who's had NCAA tournament success, has sent several players to the NBA, will have a new building in a year and now has the expectation that the team will be playing in the NCAA tourney soon and possibly multiple times during the Majerus era.

Both schools have several scholarships to give for the junior class, so it will be interesting to see who ends up where.

- Nate

You forgot the biggest, Psycho T. His dad is an alum, so he may have given them a thought. But when Q's world started crashing down around his head no chance. Anderson will do fine at Mizzery. He will have them dancing, but I fully expect we'll be right there with them. Mizzery ain't Kansas, ain't UCLA, ain't Duke, UNC, etc.