Quote from Yarborough

AlumniFan

Nothing Yarbrough has publicly said so far this season has bothered me. I understand that some may be rubbed the wrong way. As far as I'm concerned, he's the only freshman regularly contributing to the point total, so he has license to be this brutally honest in the press (as long as he doesn't go too far, of course).

He expects more from his teammates, and so do we. I have no issue with a guy showing this in press conferences. It matches his fearlessness on the floor. The other freshmen (and sophomores, for that matter) need to lose their timid nature and take a cue from him. Our offensive output has been dreadful.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also keep in mind that Yarbrough had some academic and maturity concerns coming out of HS. He was a late recruit for these reasons, plus the fact he's still pretty raw. But I don't mind at all him channeling that fire in this way, the type of energy that probably used to get him in more trouble. He seems to have a productive rather than destructive intent with his comments.

Nothing Yarbrough has publicly said so far this season has bothered me. I understand that some may be rubbed the wrong way. As far as I'm concerned, he's the only freshman regularly contributing to the point total, so he has license to be this brutally honest in the press (as long as he doesn't go too far, of course).

He expects more from his teammates, and so do we. I have no issue with a guy showing this in press conferences. It matches his fearlessness on the floor. The other freshmen (and sophomores, for that matter) need to lose their timid nature and take a cue from him. Our offensive output has been dreadful.

Agree. It's almost as if he sees the ability/potential out of his teammates and is calling for one or two of them to step up, work a little harder, and just play more confident. I don't love his quote but I don't think it's a bad thing either. I've been saying all year that I want to see this team play angry and pissed off rather than tentative and scared.

I think Crawford and Reynolds are two guys that if they get in a rhythm, they forget about doing every little detail right and they just play good basketball. Both have exploded for big games this season where they basically carried us to a win. Reynolds isn't seeing a lot of playing time (although I think he'll start to see more), but I'd like to see him and Crawford just play with a lot more confidence and let it loose. Crawford may not be a great shooter but he can definitely shoot. He just looks too scared sometimes. We dealt with Jake airballing 3's last year when we were fighting every game for a good seed, so I'm pretty sure I can live with some bad shots from Crawford this season when we're fighting to see who should be part of the rotation next year.

Everyone except probably Yarbough, Yacoubou, and McBroom play scared and are worried about being taken out of the game after one little mistake. Some of that is on Crews with his quick rotations early in the season, but if you mess up and then follow it up with a confident, good play, he'll start to lengthen the leash a bit

Agreed. I guess a shorter way of saying what I said above is that his wording is slightly clumsy but I think his sentiment comes from a good place. I imagine his teammates take it the right way if they're aware of it, or hearing the same things from him in practice.

This team has nothing to lose. I want them to stop playing scared. They're not going to develop otherwise.

If he walks the walk, I could not possibly care less what he says publicly.

It's about production and getting Ws. If he's helping his team get those, he can say things others can't.

I would think that some of the other players know they need to do more, and we'll see more from them.

If he walks the walk, I could not possibly care less what he says publicly.

It's about production and getting Ws. If he's helping his team get those, he can say things others can't.

I would think that some of the other players know they need to do more, and we'll see more from them.

He flat out wants to win. I'm sure everyone does but they don't show it like he does

Milik had more to say in his signature style after the loss last night. Per Stu's write-up:

Yarbrough was the biggest reason SLU had George Washington on the ropes. He made 11 of 18 shots from all spots on the floor and took charge at some points after opening with an impressive dunk off a feed from Davell Roby.

“I came out and Roby hit me for a dunk and that really sparked me,” Yarbrough said. “I just felt comfortable. They kept switching and putting different people on me. They put a guard on me and I moved into the post. They put a big on me and I stepped out. It was really hard for them to guard me so I took advantage of every play Coach wrote up for me.”

Milik had more to say in his signature style after the loss last night. Per Stu's write-up:

Yarbrough was the biggest reason SLU had George Washington on the ropes. He made 11 of 18 shots from all spots on the floor and took charge at some points after opening with an impressive dunk off a feed from Davell Roby.

“I came out and Roby hit me for a dunk and that really sparked me,” Yarbrough said. “I just felt comfortable. They kept switching and putting different people on me. They put a guard on me and I moved into the post. They put a big on me and I stepped out. It was really hard for them to guard me so I took advantage of every play Coach wrote up for me.”

Poor kid. Someone needs to help him develop some confidence... :D

Someone earlier in this thread or another worried that MY might transfer.

The only transferring he might do is as a lottery pick.

I made that suggestion, but I was jokingly referring that he would "transfer" to the NBA. No way he transfers from SLU - he will become SLU at the rate he is going.

Another good quote from Yarborough after last night's game. Is he the only one who gets to talk to the media? He certainly hit the nail on the head. If they don't come to play this is what happens. Does this show the makeup of the team, if this has to be said by a freshman?

It seems that he's the only real leader on the team. Certainly no leadership being shown by the upperclassmen.

Another good quote from Yarborough after last night's game. Is he the only one who gets to talk to the media? He certainly hit the nail on the head. If they don't come to play this is what happens. Does this show the makeup of the team, if this has to be said by a freshman?

They let the top 1 or 2 players from any given game talk to the media. Since he is our only consistently good player, he is the only one that consistently gives quotes.