Rosters by Class and Position

Hopefully this helps to keeps positions and available scholarships summarized in one spot.

BY CLASS: (this year)

Seniors :

Roby, Anthony, Hines

Juniors:

AD, Foreman, Bess

Sophomores:

Santos (this will be his Class), Welmer, Graves, Bishop, Johnson

Freshmen:

Goodwin, French

Available Scholarships:

None

With Gordon and Thatch coming in the following year, they will be taking two of the three Seniors scholarships (Roby, Hines and Anthony) meaning there is still one available scholarship in the 2018 Class.  This all assumes no transfers out of the program, so any transfers out would add to the available scholarships for 2018.  At least 3 scholarships will open up the following year (2019) when Foreman, AD and Bess finish their eligibility.

BY POSITION;  (2017-18)                                                                 (2018-19)

#5:   Anthony, Foreman, French, Welmer                                          Foreman, Santos, French, Welmer

#4    French, Welmer, Johnson, Foreman, Bess                                Gordon, French, Welmer, Johnson, Bess

#3    Bess, Johnson, Welmer, AD                                                       Bess, Johnson, Welmer, AD, Thatch

#2    AD, Goodwin, Graves, Bishop, Roby                                          AD, Goodwin, Graves, Bishop, Thatch

#1    Goodwin, Bishop, Graves, Roby, Hines                                       Goodwin, Bishop, Graves

The above looks really good and shows quite a bit of flexibility with regard to positions.  As I have written in another thread, I don't see us losing the rebounding battle to anyone.

The players are not listed in any particular order, but rather are listed for any position that they might play, given match-up considerations.

2017-18 and beyond should be fun-no longer harder to be a Billiken fan.

Edited by bauman
Added Hines, where appropriate

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree that our rebounding will improve greatly going forward given the new players added to the team. How good we will be will depend upon how well the players mesh together into the team and playing system desired by Ford. They could be really excellent or less so, but surely much better than last season.

lose 2 this year only the original 3 transfers after '19 as I read it. Perfect foundation for a run. NIT caliber first year then add a top ten recruiting class to all but 2 returners, recruit at same level should stay on the run. Crash will be painful and we may be back to Crews era level but it will be worth it.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

lose 2 this year only the original 3 transfers after '19 as I read it. Perfect foundation for a run. NIT caliber first year then add a top ten recruiting class to all but 2 returners, recruit at same level should stay on the run. Crash will be painful and we may be back to Crews era level but it will be worth it.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your last sentence.  Are you saying we will be returning to Crews-level ?  Yes, it will hurt losing AD, Bess and Foreman, but we will also be adding 3 recruits to replace them in addition to the one open scholarship we currently have.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a current player or two along the way, opening up additional recruiting possibilities.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

I'm talking like post Greatest Show on Turf Rams come down. After 6 years of sweet 16's I can see Ford moving on and us having a few sub par seasons. Happens to most teams especially in our weight class.

Let's just enjoy the good times.  By the way, a few schools in our weight class have been consistently good over a long period of time e.g. Xavier, Gonzaga, Creighton, Villanova, Wichita State, Butler and to a lesser degree Dayton.  It is possible to maintain an excellent program over quite a few years, even with coaching changes, which all of the teams (except WSU) have experienced.  I wouldn't take Ford leaving after 5-6 good years as a given.  The only school he might certainly leave for is UK and his getting an offer from there is not a given.  His youngest child will just be getting out of high school around that time and St. Louis will be considered home for the whole family by then.  If we are able to step up to be competitive with regard to salary and facilities he might very well become another Few or Marshall.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Just realized Hines not on this chart but listed on website's roster?

Neither is Psimitis.  I didn't list either walk-on since I think they will only see mop-up minutes, if that.  With the scholarship talent we have neither will play a role.  Actually, I am not sure that Hines will even be with the team since he would be paying his own Masters program tuition when he might be able to play somewhere else free as a grad transfer.  However, if you prefer  we could list Hines as a #1 in the 2017-18 positional listing and Psimitis as a #2.

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

I completely agree that our rebounding will improve greatly going forward given the new players added to the team. How good we will be will depend upon how well the players mesh together into the team and playing system desired by Ford. They could be really excellent or less so, but surely much better than last season.

Good observation, Old Guy--this means our chances of being  really good next year are 50/50.

9 hours ago, bauman said:

Neither is Psimitis.  I didn't list either walk-on since I think they will only see mop-up minutes, if that.  With the scholarship talent we have neither will play a role.  Actually, I am not sure that Hines will even be with the team since he would be paying his own Masters program tuition when he might be able to play somewhere else free as a grad transfer.  However, if you prefer  we could list Hines as a #1 in the 2017-18 positional listing and Psimitis as a #2.

no let's keep it real. 

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Why would Hines be a grad transfer instead of continuing his world class education at SLU? He's gotten to live a dream and get the best of athletic and academic world for years. It makes no sense to leave.

Hoops:  It's called $25,000 (or whatever a year of post-graduate education now costs at SLU).  If he goes to another school as a grad trf, I assume he would be on a full scholarship.  So let's see, be practice fodder and pay $???????? to do so OR play at a lesser D 1 program on scholarship?  Is there really any decision, IF he is good enough to get an offer.

Many other schools able to give him a scholarship might not have as good a program as SLU, or being close to his family may be worth that much money to him. In other words there are many factors involved in this decision other than money.

55 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Do you really think Hines will be forking up that cash. I am sure they will hook him up with top academic scholarships or even free grad tuition due to high grades or something. Hines is not paying out of pocket. 

You can't give free tuition to athletes and not call it a scholarship. It would be the easiest way to avoid the 13 scholarship limit...

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

You can't give free tuition to athletes and not call it a scholarship. It would be the easiest way to avoid the 13 scholarship limit...

No but you can't deny them other ones that are not full tuition. I know that many athletes with partial scholarships also take the MLK scholarship

I expect we will see a transfer or two from the 18-19 team which will give us a scholie or two for another 18 grad. The only thing that scares me about the 18-19 roster is keeping Cuonzo out of Gordon's grill. Cuonzo's a full blown predator who has said a verbal doesn't mean squat to him.

Verbals mean nothing to most coaches. Their 6 and 7 figure salaries depend on recruiting the best available players and you recruit them until they tell you no.  In fact at the NAIA level, there was/is no LOI program, so kids could sign with 1 school and attend another. You were never really sure if you had a kid until all schools had completed late registration. We had kids sign, workout the whole summer with the team, enroll in classes, attend orientation and then disappear without notice.  Used us as a free gym membership to pit it nicely.