Marketing/operational foibles and the fan base

bonwich

There's not a box that says Bills Avoid Upset. C4. upper right corner?

Yes, I saw that after I posted. Surely you don't consider that great coverage or exsposure for the team.

Didn't even realise that is is apicture of the Billikens under it.

Obviously it was not a great eye catcher for some one looking for coverage of the Bills.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The expired hot dog coupon:

Yeah. That sucks, but the coupon books are an added perk for season ticket holders. If you didn't check/notice an expiration date, isn't that your fault? My guess is that they are trying to give season ticket holders an incentive to actually come to non-conference games which are always poorly attended. Maybe they should print larger expiration dates or a warning in the front of the book.

The will call situation:

If you buy through ticketmaster, you can print your tickets at home. However, you get dinged with the fees. I would guess that the will call problems are mostly due to the LivingSocial deal which has to be picked up at will call. I don't think the multiple will calls is a problem. It actually makes things better because you don't have everyone going to the main ticket office gate. SLU's website clearly indicates which will call gate you should go to for the pass list, students, general public, etc.

The hot dog coupon expiring during the season smacks of being classless - the coupons should be good for the season - really how much can it cost them? Being cheap always comes back and bites an organization in the ass. Having never used will call at SLU I don't know how bad the lines are or not but I do know when you have to pick tix up at will call for other places I have been you really need to arrive a bit early to be fair.

I think the reasoning for the experation on the hot dog coupon was due to last year everyone saving them to the final game and the concessions were not prepared.

So because they can not plan properly they screw everybody. Typical do what is easiest for the organization regardless if it makes customers unhappy. Piss poor excuse and practice.

The hot dog coupon expiring during the season smacks of being classless - the coupons should be good for the season - really how much can it cost them? Being cheap always comes back and bites an organization in the ass. Having never used will call at SLU I don't know how bad the lines are or not but I do know when you have to pick tix up at will call for other places I have been you really need to arrive a bit early to be fair.

Agree on the hot dog thing. Its just so dumb to make those thing expire. I bet the hot dog costs them 0.25 cents.

I am amazed by all of the criticism of the program. We have a top 20 program NOT BY MISTAKE but because a lot of elements across the university have worked very hard to hire top coaches, build top notch facilities, recruit great players, improve promotions, work on student participation, promote the team, offer deals on tickets, etc. It may not be perfect, but it is pretty damn good.

This is not Goldman Sachs or a hedge fund where all the workers make hundreds of thousands of dollars or came from top schools with majors in "running a basketball program". To expect things to be perfect is silly. I would suggest that for all of those complaining, join the Billiken Club, go to meetings, get involved, make suggestions, etc. If you are not willing to do something about it then maybe be respectful of all the hard work a lot of really good people put into to making this a great experience for fans, alumni, students and others.

Ain't lookin' for "perfection." Just some minimum standards. If you're going to put something in your season ticket booklets, proofread it. If you're going to run a promotion to get butts in the seats, don't make the people stand in line for 15 minutes when they get to the arena. (It's not like this is a 90,000 seat stadium.) If you're going to try to get people to cheer more, do it at the right time. (If you're going to hire a "professional" PA announcer, make sure he has a rudimentary understanding of basketball.)

That ain't a $1M hedge fund manager's standard; that's a top-50 athletic program set of standards. Do the big things well and do the little things well. (Kinda like your top-50/top-20 team does.)

Pretzels sell well at $5

The only meat you can actually see before you buy it is BBQ

Definitely, the worst food in any arena-even tge grilled hot dogs are done below decks and nit thorougly cooked-especially awful in a greasy footlong

Chris Lee is awesome. That picture of Loe's 3 pointer should have been on the front page.

I had moytoy's courtside seats against St Bonnie. I don't know Chris Lee but he had been tweeting about some rams fan ripping off his photos that day so i just happened to see his twitter profile and his picture right before the game. So he's walking in front of my seats on the court pregame, he has tp sticking out of his pants. I was just too far away to say something to him, finally a Billikens staffer clued him in right before game time.

I am amazed by all of the criticism of the program. We have a top 20 program NOT BY MISTAKE but because a lot of elements across the university have worked very hard to hire top coaches, build top notch facilities, recruit great players, improve promotions, work on student participation, promote the team, offer deals on tickets, etc. It may not be perfect, but it is pretty damn good.

This is not Goldman Sachs or a hedge fund where all the workers make hundreds of thousands of dollars or came from top schools with majors in "running a basketball program". To expect things to be perfect is silly. I would suggest that for all of those complaining, join the Billiken Club, go to meetings, get involved, make suggestions, etc. If you are not willing to do something about it then maybe be respectful of all the hard work a lot of really good people put into to making this a great experience for fans, alumni, students and others.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right - ever hear that old saying? SLU charges many of us a seat license that is not cheap and then they charge us $25 a tix for all games even exhibitions - so to say this is some mom and pop operation is not true - they have an obligation to run a good operation for their customers. It is the little things that people notice not the big stuff because the big stuff usually is done correctly since it has people's attention - why because it is the big thing. When an organization drops the ball on the little things it usually ends up paying big time for it in people's minds. For example, I gave my hot dog coupon to my niece's husband to use at the next game along with a soft drink one because he will be using my tix for the next game since I will be out of town for the birth of my granddaughter, now I have to let him know that I may have given him the one that has expired. He is a casual fan of the Bills so what kind of impression does this leave on him? - Once again this is just stupid on SLU's part. You know I just get tired of having to make excuses for SLU to people over dumb stuff.

I distinctly remember Majerus at an event at Chaifetz. Everything else went smooth, well-run and fun. BUT, because SLU always screws up the details, the one thing that stands out is a microphone handed to Majerus that didn't work and his comment about not being surprised that it DIDNT work.

The folks at SLU have great, big plans, but when it comes to execution, there is ALWAYS some little thing that goes wrong that is noticible.

Oh, and Don't get me started on how they can't keep a simple secret.

-Free the Band

FWIW, the marketing director is a Bills Board lurker, and invites anyone to contact him directly:

@rpr3: My favorite message board post about me so far: "Don't the people in marketing have degrees?"

@rpr3: Doesn't seem like I'm the most popular guy there. I'm happy to talk to anyone, but boards probably arent the best forum

twitter.com/rpr3

FWIW, the marketing director is a Bills Board lurker, and invites anyone to contact him directly:

@rpr3: My favorite message board post about me so far: "Don't the people in marketing have degrees?"

@rpr3: Doesn't seem like I'm the most popular guy there. I'm happy to talk to anyone, but boards probably arent the best forum

twitter.com/rpr3

I don't have anything to add to the list of "small" problems cited in this thread, BUT if I'm the marketing director and am reading this thread, I think I can figure out a few things that need improvement w/o people calling me.

One bigger problem that is beyond the marketing director, why not finally after all the years this arena has been open, FIX THE FRIGGIN SOUND SYSTEM!

I don't have anything to add to the list of "small" problems cited in this thread, BUT if I'm the marketing director and am reading this thread, I think I can figure out a few things that need improvement w/o people calling me.

One bigger problem that is beyond the marketing director, why not finally after all the years this arena has been open, FIX THE FRIGGIN SOUND SYSTEM!

I'm sure he can figure it out himself but he's saying if you have an issue or suggestion you are more than welcome to bring it to him directly via twitter.

Yes, of course, it's the customer's fault to read "One (1) free hot dog during any...game during the 2013-2014 season" and not expect that the expiration date would explicitly contradict that statement. My bad. (For the record, I just paid for the hot dog. But anyone who would possibly claim that this wasn't some sort of managerial incompetence has no business standards.)

I guess I lucked out. I did not see the expiration date and assumed they were the same as the drink and popcorn coupons. I used three hot dog coupons for my grandchildren on Saturday, and they were accepted.

That tweet speaks volumes. Everyone should look at the original post. :rolleyes:

One of the coupons expired in December, one in March. I see no problem with that.

Each of my season ticket packets had only 1 hot dog coupon along with 2 drink and 2 popcorn coupons. So are you saying that the dates on the hot dog coupons changed from packet to packet or do some packets have 2 hot dog coupons with different dates?

One of the coupons expired in December, one in March. I see no problem with that.

Well, of course there's no problem with differing expiration dates. "One free hot dog during any Saint Louis University men's basketball game during the 2013-2104 season."

Would it have been so hard to say "any Saint Louis University men's basketball game November-December 2013" and "any Saint Louis University men's basketball game January-March 2014"? Perhaps the additional printing costs were prohibitive.

Each of my season ticket packets had only 1 hot dog coupon along with 2 drink and 2 popcorn coupons. So are you saying that the dates on the hot dog coupons changed from packet to packet or do some packets have 2 hot dog coupons with different dates?

Clearly, you have the MBM season tickets.

Cant believe we are having a serious discussion about coupons for HOTDOGS. It was just plain stupid to put an expiration date on them in the first place. The things cost the arena probably a buck, if that and you are going to put yourself in the position of ticking off season ticketholders over that? Just dumb. There shouldnt be any discussion on expiration dates for those things because there shouldnt be an expiration in the first place.

It's much easier to blast the admin anonymously on a message board...

05 - I get that you are buddies with the guy, but as an employee of the SLU athletic department it is in poor form. Why would you insult/demean your customer base on a public twitter feed?

I don't see anyone blasting the "admin" on here either. I see bonwich with legitimate complaints and a few others echo'ing that or saying it is silly to worry about.