Marketing/operational foibles and the fan base

bonwich

05 - I get that you are buddies with the guy, but as an employee of the SLU athletic department it is in poor form. Why would you insult/demean your customer base on a public twitter feed?

I don't see anyone blasting the "admin" on here either. I see bonwich with legitimate complaints and a few others echo'ing that or saying it is silly to worry about.

My relationship with him has nothing to do with it..I didn't think he was blasting anyone. He was stating that he didn't seem to be the most popular guy on billikens.com. He also relayed a pretty demeaning and unfounded quote about him on twitter. I've worked in sports and had people ***** and complain on facebook and tell me how to do my job. Things get overlooked it happens. It's completely frustrating to be constantly hounded on the internet about how you do your job and of the things who could have said I thought he was pretty damn respectful and showed decent restraint.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant believe we are having a serious discussion about coupons for HOTDOGS. It was just plain stupid to put an expiration date on them in the first place. The things cost the arena probably a buck, if that and you are going to put yourself in the position of ticking off season ticketholders over that? Just dumb. There shouldnt be any discussion on expiration dates for those things because there shouldnt be an expiration in the first place.

Agree 100%.

I brought my "expired" hot dog coupon to the Fordham game without knowing there was a date on it. One concession stand employee rejected it because it had the December date on it. So, I took it to another stand with students working there and they readily accepted it.

It's poor form to put coupons in Season Ticket Holders packages saying they are good for the 2013-2014 season and then limiting their usage with an expiration date.

I've heard 3 other people in my seating area encounter this issue. It makes SLU look like a Mickey Mouse operation when these types of things occur.

As far as I am concerned, attending a Bills game is such a treat that I could not give a ___ about any coupons for hot dogs or whatever. I love to be there and watch the game and have a nice beer a the half. I come out of the Chaifetz thinking how good life can be...

05 - I get that you are buddies with the guy, but as an employee of the SLU athletic department it is in poor form. Why would you insult/demean your customer base on a public twitter feed?

I don't see anyone blasting the "admin" on here either. I see bonwich with legitimate complaints and a few others echo'ing that or saying it is silly to worry about.

I can see both sides. Obviously, Trae Roberts (SLU Director of Marketing) should not take offense to anything written on a message board about him. I don't think his tweet was meant to be insulting/demeaning, but rather just an amusing observation. If he said something like, "whoever posted this is an idiot", then you would be right about it being poor form.

I think his later tweet about being happy to engagement anyone via twitter (which is burred as part of the conversation his original tweet), is very important. If folks have problems with the AD, marketing, etc., then they should voice those concerns directly to them. It is okay to also post them on this board (and then hopefully post whatever follow up you get from the AD as well). If you are only complaining on here, you aren't going to accomplish anything. Voice your concerns to someone who might be able to make a change or fix a problem.

Let's not act like these type of complaints have not been brought to admin before. They have for years. Most of time they get posted on here after people get frustrated by a lack of the problems getting addressed. This is a program that misspells the names of long time season ticket holders on the video board when honoring them.

Yes, of course, it's the customer's fault to read "One (1) free hot dog during any...game during the 2013-2014 season" and not expect that the expiration date would explicitly contradict that statement. My bad. (For the record, I just paid for the hot dog. But anyone who would possibly claim that this wasn't some sort of managerial incompetence has no business standards.)

Why did they print an ellipsis is that phrase? Don't the people in marketing have degrees?

He also relayed a pretty demeaning and unfounded quote about him on twitter.

Well, no. He relayed that he's a professional communicator who has no grasp of context.

Maybe I am the only one, but IMO, the hours of SLU's campus bookstore are the most user unfriendly for an alum. Daily closings by 5 pm. Closed on weekends. Closed before home basketball games !! Speaking of other campuses and how other Universities operate, I can assure you that visitors can go to most campus bookstores and buy spirit wear -- and most visitors don't visit between 10 am 5 pm. M-F. Years ago, I bought a UNLV sweatshirt on a Sunday while in Vegas, I have been to Notre Dame's bookstore at numerous hours, I have dropped in at Vanderbilt's bookstore over the weekend while in Nashville. At least in the past, I recall U of Dayton having their bookstore open with "special hours" before and after each home basketball game.

Yes, I know SLU has a shop inside Chaifetz, but still….

[quote name="bonwich" post="398568"

Sure enough: "One free hot dog during any Saint Louis University men's basketball game during the 2013-2104 season....Offer expires December 21, 2013."

This stuff is too good to make up.

Lol. My sister and I got caught on that... I said 'oh. My bad', took the coup, crossed it out and wrote 'today' on it. He laughed and gave me the hot dogs. Win.