Big East to target 12 teams, keep name; 10 teams for now

AlumniFan

All it means, in my opinion, is that the departing seven schools will bank on that television contract to leave early. The current Big East is falling apart at the seams.

Also, maybe the football Big East schools will negotiate a waiver or reduction of the early exit penalty in exchange for the ability to keep the Big East name (purely speculation on my part).

The Big East currently has eight teams in it according to espn's football page ... Louisville, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, Temple, Uconn and South Florida. Syracuse, Pitt and Lousivlle all go to the ACC in 2014. Takes it down to five. Rutgers goes to the Big Ten and takes it down to four. Leaving UC, Uconn, Temple and South Florida. If Navy take sit to 11 in 2015, that means six teams are coming in --- I forget but who are they? East Carolina? SMU? Memphis? Help me out here. Please.

It gets confusing separating the football schools from the basketball schools in terms of what is happening for the future. I see that I misread this article thinking it was more applicable to basketball than football .

If you ask me the only thing that was "new" in that article was that the football teams seem to really want to keep the Big East name. Many had presumed the basketball teams would eventually get it. Its probably just a negotiating tactic however.

Fr. Shanley and the Nova president were supposed to have their first meeting with Aresco on friday. Sounds like Aresco is negotiating in public eh? Hoping to push that price up a tad.

Friar. What's the latest you are hearing? Still good news for us at SLU?

Latest on the Holyland of Hoops board, SLU and VCU in and Creighton out based on geography........

I didn't see that at all. Is that some random person's opinion or is it someone who claims to have the inside scoop?

Link please.

Random posters with no real credibility. there have been no new articles in quite a while and even those are sketchy at best.

Random posters with no real credibility. there have been no new articles in quite a while and even those are sketchy at best.

Exactly. It is so funny to see those posters on their high horses in total disbelief that they won't be with Syracuse et al anymore and will likely be with teams like us and others from the A-10.

But at the same time I think there was some credibility to the original post via a source from Providence that said:

"Butler, Xavier, SLU, and Dayton are in. 12th spot up for grabs as long as Fox has their way." - Hoya

My favorite response:

"St. Louis without Creighton would make me sad." - yorost

Latest on the Holyland of Hoops board, SLU and VCU in and Creighton out based on geography........

I didn't see that at all. Is that some random person's opinion or is it someone who claims to have the inside scoop?

Link please.

Yep, just some guy on a message board quoting a source at VCU. Might be crap. Might be the truth. It's good news so it's probably crap and hasn't been reported by some jackass in the media so its probably true. The discussion is in the "rumours" thread......

Speaking of the new Big East. I watched my first Burwell multi-media video today because the topic was conference realignment and he was speaking to Chris May.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/upon-further-review-burwell-slu-s-may-on-new-big/html_2420cb4c-90bb-5a71-b2c9-029f73ebf5e9.html

It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines but anybody that thinks May would actually say anything meaningful doesn't understand how athletic directors have to act like politicians and simply lie on this topic.

VCU makes more geographic sense in a new conference than any of the rumored locks and Marquette and DePaul for that matter.

considering that most of the flights that teams in Big East take are charters the difference in travel time from to the east coast to St Louis as opposed to Chicago and Milwaukee is neglible for basketball. The extra driving time between the east coast schools and St Louis as oppossed to Milwaukee is a little over an hour.

The Chris May interview is very, very encouraging for those who have doubts. He has a very big grin on his face (and is almost smug) every time he mentions that we are well positioned for the future and that the school has been very aggressive in ensuring the east coast schools understand SLU's strengths and long-term value.

My assumption is that FOX Sports is largely calling the shots here, and FOX wants SLU and the St. Louis market. FOX wants this new conference to be the flagship for its new network much like the then "new" Big East was for the then "new" ESPN network several decades ago. I also speculate that SLU may also have some vocal supporters among the Catholic 7 who like the university's ideological fit, size, academics, and sports facilities.

Speaking of the new Big East. I watched my first Burwell multi-media video today because the topic was conference realignment and he was speaking to Chris May.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/upon-further-review-burwell-slu-s-may-on-new-big/html_2420cb4c-90bb-5a71-b2c9-029f73ebf5e9.html

It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines but anybody that thinks May would actually say anything meaningful doesn't understand how athletic directors have to act like politicians and simply lie on this topic.

It does if you can not down load it - for some reason it is not working for me - what did he say?

what is the "one other piece to this puzzle" that is out of Chris May's control which Burwell referenced will be touched on in the second interview on thursday?

-media market?

Clearly a cheap media teaser tactic, but my guess would be the TV network.

He basically says that SLU's leaders are following this closely and have been very aggressive in making the "east coast" schools aware of SLU's strengths. He says these schools definitely recognize those strengths and that SLU is in a good position. He is grinning the whole time.

Fr. shanley was walking ahead of me today on campus. I chickened out on catching up to him and just flat out asking about SLU. Game tomorrow against UCONN. If I have an easy approach, I am going for it.

BTW, nobody around here thinks VCU is really being considered. All the talk of it is from the VCU endnof things.

He basically says that SLU's leaders are following this closely and have been very aggressive in making the "east coast" schools aware of SLU's strengths. He says these schools definitely recognize those strengths and that SLU is in a good position. He is grinning the whole time.

I like May, but I think he always kind of has that grin going. Its the "you and I both know what I'm telling you is a load of b.s. but I've still got to say this" grin. He'd have the same grin if you asked him about Crews' long term prospects as head coach here.