Powell

slu72

Somewhere below, somebody said Powell was being urged to wait and see if he got better offers in the Spring. This is a kid we know has an offer from Bradley and pretty sure from us. Who would be this someone telling him to wait on a better deal than SLU? He gets back w/ his buddy DP, he works out with the team at WP, he'll play 3 years in a brand new state of the art arena, we may be one of the surprise teams in the NCAA this year, and his new HC is a Billiken hall of famer. This is hard to comprehend. V time said all we needed to do was offer he was dying to come to SLU. I smell Mizzery and Floyd. Figuring Anderson wants to see how his senior year goes and get him in the spring if all goes well.

I think Brad needs to send a message to all future recruits that are of this quality (above average, but not great). He needs to pull the offer off the table now. If Powell wanted to risk getting "better" offers then let him do so, but we need to send a message that we are not going to be a safe fallback program. If we don't do so I believe it will be hard to ever rise much above where we are. By the way, I do not advocate this for "program changing" quality recruits.

I don't think we need to do something radical like pull the offer, but I also don't think we should make the mistakes of putting all of our eggs in the Powell basket. We should continue to aggressively pursue other options. If we can get a player comparable or better than Powell to commit, then forget about Powell.

In retrospect Shaw would've been a better choice. I still think Grimes was a much higher level recruit though. We were courting the homecoming queen and not the nasty girl who puts out.....

Powell has more in common with the latter than the former.....though at this time he may be as close as we can get to the homecoming queen.......

>In retrospect Shaw would've been a better choice. I still

>think Grimes was a much higher level recruit though. We

>were courting the homecoming queen and not the nasty girl

>who puts out.....

>

>Powell has more in common with the latter than the

>former.....though at this time he may be as close as we can

>get to the homecoming queen.......

Not so sure Shaw would've been the better choice. Dont get me wrong, Shaw is a very good player, but it seems more less that Snyder's love affair with Kevin Young was the Grimes' problem rather than ability. He's thriving under coach Anderson. Give Anderson credit for making Grimes shed close to 20 pounds over the last 6 months. I think Brad would've got more out of him than Snyder. Snyder was an excellent recruiter, but a horrible coach on the floor. Shaw is more skilled, but Grimes has the ability overwhelm opponents down low, but he's gotta work on his FT shooting. Grimes is a center and I would've rather got him out of high school than Shaw.

The Mike Anderson Revival Tour

We're early into a long 2006-07 season, but it appears that Head Coach Mike Anderson has shed light on the careers of Tigers Kalen Grimes and Matt Lawrence ... Starters in each game this season, both returners have played significant rolls for Mizzou after seeing limited action in 2005-06. - Lawrence opened the season with a career high 27 points on 7-of-11 shooting from three-point range to pace Missouri's 101-80 win over North Carolina A&T ... Lawrence went on to earn All-Tournament recognition at the John Thompson Foundation Classic and is tied for the team lead with 14.7 points per game. - As a freshman, Lawrence played in 25 games, but averaged just 6.9 minutes and scored 37 total points, grabbed 18 rebounds, had five assists and seven steals ... Lawrence needed just three games to top those totals in 2006-07. - For the first time in Grimes' career, the 6-foot-9 post player recorded double figures in points in back-to-back games and enjoyed the first double-double of his career with an 18-point, 11-board effort in the win over Army. - Grimes went on to win MVP honors at the Thompson Foundation Classic and is on a run of two consecutive double-doubles. - Last season as a sophomore, Grimes played in all-28 games, but just recorded totals of 74 points and 73 rebounds in 11.5 minutes per game ... This season, Grimes has already recorded 44 points, 25 boards in a career high 23.0 minutes per game.

>Powell is not a program changer. He may be a better fit with

>Anderson. Let's see how AB handles him. As for Mizzery,

>how'd they make it in this thread? Vtime do I need to give

>you the link to the Mizzery board?

Why dont you look at the dates on the posts and see who brought up Mizzou first. As for Cowboy, I have nothing further to say. This time last year a lot of people on this board didnt know if he was good enough to play for SLU. No one's arguing with his ability anymore, so what's to say. Brad is known for getting guys in the spring, and Powell's best bet is to probably to wait until the spring. He could commit tomorrow or not until April. No one knows except Powell, his family, and maybe Floyd or Bonner. You guys trust Brad, so lets see how it turns out. Did anyone ever find out if Brad has offered Powell for CERTAIN!

In my opinion, UB might just be taking the biggest gamble of his life. Maybe he didn't really offer Powell; maybe he only offered higher echelon players that he had low chances on. Maybe, just maybe he is letting his recruiting chips ride on being NCAA darlings come March. That would be his best bet for being able to make a big splash in late recruiting. It would also seem that one or two jucos would be appropriate this year considering that the 2008 recruiting class is so loaded in the area. So if the Billikens don't have the great year that we are all hoping for UB might be going down with this ship. I wish him the best.

Vtime why should we listen to you at all? You are consistently proved wrong. You were wrong about Powell committing as soon as offered. You were wrong about Powell having an offer. He has offered Powell. He has had the offer on the table for a long time. Are you now going to call Earl Austin Jr. a liar, just like you did P Diddy?

I'm not sure how you're getting all this from my post. My post above isnt calling anyone a liar, simply looking for confirmation. As far as I'm concerned, when deciphering if someone has been offered by Brad, the best sources are Nate and OJ. I do find it a little disturbing that in the shootout schedule, they listed suitors for a lot of players, but didnt list SLU as a suitor for Powell. Did the Post Dispatch leave that out intentionally. If Powell has an offer from SLU and they cant give SLU a plug in the mix for Powell that's just wrong. I'm pretty sure if they were playing in the Shootout in Peoria, they would list Bradley as a suitor for Powell since they offered.

>Word has always been that he would like to play for Anderson

>at Mizzoo. They only have one scholarship to give and would

>like a higher profile player. It would make sense that they

>might be telling him to wait.

From this thread, you are appear to be right.

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-...message=4089521

I'm pretty sure if they had 4 schollies, Powell would have an offer, but with one, they are looking for the player that helps them the absolute most.

If you think Powell can play for you, keep recruiting him. I wouldn't pull a Romar and have no plan B, by why cut off your nose to spite you face?

Nobody knows what happens behind the scenes, so we can't speculate that Powell somehow promised to sign and didn't. There are a million reasons why a kid might want to wait.

In case you haven't noticed, SLU is not the kind of school that has McDonalds All-Americans beating down the door. If Brad starts making "examples" of recruits when SLU is not an elite level program, he'll wind up with inferior players and unemployed.