Kelly Going to Iowa

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew that ... I just wanted to see if he would expand on the ridiculousness of that list. Every school has a list just like that.

It's funny if UB gets a player it's luck ... if he misses he was outrecruited. The level of baketball smarts on this board sometimes makes me laugh.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

You could always add more .....

Georgetown (Jahidi White)

Purdue (Xavier Price)

Houston (Craig Upchurch)

Notre Dame (LaPhonso Ellis)

Mizzou (Kelly Thames)

Kansas (Ryan Robertson/Jeff Carey)

Okie State (that JUCO kid)

Villanova (Gary Buchanan .. which might include their reciprocating for Reggie Bryant)

DePaul (Quentin Richardson)

The Portland Trail Blazers (Darius Miles)

Missouri State (Blake Ahearn/Jeff Ford)

The list will go on and on. Its like proving that little Bumphuqe U. is the NCAA champion because they beat a team that beat a team that beat a team that someone eventually beats whomeve wins the national championship. Eventually, we'll be up to the six degress of Kevin Bacon.

Also, don't forget these gems as produced by him who does not post here anymore ...

Illinois State (Lorenzo Gordon/Bobby Hill)

Western Illinois (Lorenzo taylor/James Washington, the new X-man)

Colorado (Sean Kowal)

Cowley Junior College (Sanjay Watts)

SEMO (Eric Jones) and

Dayton (Monroe Douglas Jr -- a walk on).

The kid is good enough to get consdiered and offered by a Big Ten school. I understand where the frustration is coming from but you give your best shot and still lose, what do you do? The bottom line is that it will always be the kid's final choice. Even when they make that final call, even those things change (i.e. TRANSFER). on to Plan B. Or C. Or D.

I understand that UB has to be able to get good players to come. I also understand that he scrambled the 1st couple of years. But he hasn't done as bad as some make it seem. He got Kevin and Tommie. This year he addressed our biggest need with 2 PF's and a shooter. We don't know how that will turn out. Either way we should be competing for an A10 championship and a trip to the dance. Is there room to improve of course ... but lets wait and see how we turn out 1st. For some though it won't matter ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

We all need patience right now. We can't judge UB until this season is over, and we see what the incoming class looks like in the spring. Face it, if we make the dance, his job is safe no matter if no one signs in the fall. If he doesn't make it, and the incoming class looks good on paper, he's probably safe as well. No dance...no promising class....time to move on. But this decision comes in April not now.

Taj as I have said many times before if you are not getting the recruits there is only one person to blame. Many on your list are not our current HC's fault but in the last five yers he has missed many more times than he has been successful. The miss's have come in the form of lack of evaluation skills or just plain losing a player. The kool-aid drinkers want you to think that comments regarding lack of recruiting are coming from people who do not know anything about basketball. Or maybe it is the cell phone policy of the coaches or lack of budget or less than adequate facilities........

Why do we need patience, five plus years is enough to understand what you have. No NCAA appearances, No early recruits, constantly taking other school's leftover's, offering kid's who do not have schoolarships from anyone else, needing seven evaluation periods on a guy that is good enough to be offered by Indiana, passing on kids who turn out to be WAY better than the one's you have offerred...... this list can go on and on and on and on

but taj's list illustrates that all previous billiken coaches missed. for that matter all coaches everywhere miss. not even coach k is able to pick out 5 kids in july and by november all five sign with duke.

"in the last five yers he has missed many more times than he has been successful."

Just so you know, we only have a limited number of scholarships, so I would wager any amount of $$ that we will continue to miss more than we land.

All I hear about is how Brad misses recruits. Yet we have the most talented team since the Legend, picked second in the A-10 (after a 3rd place finish nobody saw coming), and the consensus on this board is the NCAA tourney is in our future this year. Yet somehow Brad only recruits non-talented stiffs. Not sure how that all works out, but you guys know better than coach.

actually, if you take hughes out of the equation, imo, this current team is probably the most talented since bonner/douglas/gray (which i believe was actually a more talented team than claggett/highmark and H) simply because of bonner and the inside presence he was able to provide that claggett, highmark and gray never had.

We can only hope that Dixon, Dustin, and Adam are upgrades - you can not give Brad credit for upgrading now - perhaps after the season. I do agree that you can give him credit for landing 3 potential players that address needs on paper. What about Leon Powell? Is he visiting or has he already visited. I could see him committing early assuming he has been offered.

Let's give UB a pass this year and not judge until April. Contrary to the Young Lions posting here, we are not kool aid drinkers. I can only think of maybe 3-4 posters who would be willing to see UB stay for a sixth season if we don't make the dance and we don't have a promising incoming class. They may argue for stability but they don't want "stable mediocrity" anymore than you do, hardball.

count me as a loyal brad backer that wont change unless we are faced with total collapse from either obvious incompetence (which wont happen) or from program scandal (which we also know wont happen).

What's a total collapse vs total disappointment, Broy? Total disappointment to me is this team doesn't make the dance. Collapse would be a repeat of of 2004-05. You can't honestly say you'd be 100% behind him if he fails to take us dancing and delivers a highly suspect recruiting class, can you?

With our schedule, I'd like to think it means invite, so it would be disappointing. Worth chopping UB's head off? Probably not, unless his recruiting class is a flop...then you've got to think maybe he ain't the man. Eventually there has to be results, 3star, and that's making the dance. One of two things has to happen by April. We make the dance, or the incoming class at least looks good on paper. Then he gets year 6 to make the dance. No dance in 2007-08, enough's enough. Yet there are guys that will argue one more chance to land the area's great recruits in 2008. Again, this all comes down to what is a reasonable time to develop a top 50 program...5, 6, 7, 10 years? Remember, it was UB who said a national championship was doable at SLU.

My point is how many times in the five plus years has BS secured his Plan A recruit? Before the kool-aid drinkers start the bashing and say KL and TL for the 1000 time just answer the question. How many?

Top 20 programs get their Plan A recruits more often than they loose them. Until SLU starts signing early recruits it will be hard to convince anyone that BS is getting his Plan A recruits.

One more item to consider regarding the site visit dates. You can bet a recuit is taking a trip every weekend from now until he commits. Therefore if a recruit is not coming until the end of September or early October they will be looking at a lot of campus's before ours. The question will be will our recruiting targets hold up under the promises and ultimatums that the opposing coaches will surely throw their way?

Hardball, I guess Tommie and Kevin don't count in your view. If Ian is other schools leftovers or somebody nobody else wanted I will take that every time.

Who exactly have we passed on that turned way better than what we have offered. Blake and Tatum were mistakes, but lets be honest Blake would be getting nothing more than 15-20 mpg in the the upcoming season. Just because a player chooses another school doesn't mean we didn't offer.

I would have liked to have landed Stremler. Stremler is not the second coming of Larry Bird. He is a nice player. Sampson did a hell of a job locking him in a short anount of time. I guess Crean is just as bad as Brad for losing him at the last minute.

Hardball, we are not a top 20 team. We have not been a top twenty program since the sixties.