Brandon Morris--WOW!

Billikan

Brandon is having a fantastic season for WGB--He is the leading scorer at almost 13 per game--the leading rebounder at more than 5 per game--almost 3 assists per game-- 1.6 steals --and is shooting 55% from the field and 48% from three point range. Really amazing season. Truly a loss for our Bills--what a shame!!

the juco transfer rule that went into effect this year bit him. before you just had to have the credits to graduate from the juco with your associates degree. now you have to also have enough transferable credits to you new school that will put you on pace to graduate within a certain time period (thinking it is 3 years but not sure, it might be 2) as well.

brandon morris had the needed credits to graduate, but he lacked the credits that would fit into a slu degree that were transferable to put him onto a pace to graduate in the needed time period. i dont know what bandon's juco emphasis was on, but let's say it was "agriculture". well slu doesnt have an agriculture major that those extra credits would have fit into to allow brandon to be on pace to graduate on time. apparently wisconsin green bay did.

this is where the lack of a p.e. degree will likely keep a lot of jucos from ever coming to slu whereas a big state university is likely to have more degree options thus p.e., agriculture, basket weaving etc will be more likely to work and enable schools to get brandon morris' and ricky clemons' like students into their schools and slu wont.

There are no agriculture or physical ed majors/minors/certificates at UWGB. Well, there is a coaching certificate. I am sure they are more flexible than SLU though. There are a number of liberal arts programs that SLU does not have. My mom graduated from UWGB so I am a bit partial to the school. It probably is not a great school but it is a good value and there is a golf course on campus (if you like sort of thing).

Yes, but the story I remember on him included the fact that he still would have gotten in IF he had completed some course work this summer and Master Morris did not complete the course work and that was the reason given for why he is not playing at SLU.

While it would have been nice to have him, I won't get very worried about spilled milk...we've got to move on with the players that we have.

Roy, I don't know if that requirement for juco recruit applied this year. It was just passed last year, so it probably doesn't go into effect until the 2004 recruiting class, at the earliest.

I believe what really bit Brandon Morris is that SLU wouldn't except a "D" that Brandon got somewhere along the line. I really don't think it was that he didn't have transferrable credits, because if that were the case, Brad wouldn't have recruited him, as Brandon had had more than a year of junior college when he signed -- enough time for him and Brad to see what courses he was taking and what courses he still needed to get in. If none of his first year credits were transferable, Brad doesn't sign him.

I remember Brad's discussing the situation, and it came down to one summer course that Brandon needed to get a certain grade in (most likely a "C" or better) to be eligible, and he didn't get it. SLU wouldn't except the grade, but state-school UWGB did. Such is life as a Billikens fan.

There is only so much our coaching staff in STL can do for a student in another state. What they can do and I'm sure they did do is give him the requirements go over them with him in detail ask him if he thought he would be able to meet them and ask him to update them on that progress. Then you have to hope for the best. I'm sure they can examine his transcripts and see what work he has done in the past to get a feel if he could do what was required. Sometimes a 20 yr. old guy is hard to read. I flunked (because I didn't show up) German at SLU after living in Germany 6 years and being able to speak it very well.

they were monitoring brandonn closely. i remember talking to angres in june and he expressed that brandon was short the needed course and was planning a visit to the juco to try to motivate brandon in his coursework.

other than that, not sure what kind of alternatives they could have had ready. it is doubtful you could have found a quality player that was willing to wait until august to see if he was going to be needed by saint louis university.

Just curious on your thoughts ... I can't believe we don't have a list of Micky D prospects that are waiting for us to let them know if they can come or not. Maybe if we got their parents, aunts, uncles, etc... jobs.

ABomb ... where in GE. I spent 4 years at Spangdahlem AFB. 85 to 89

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

FYI. Stuttgart 80-83 and Wiesbaden 86-89. Wouldn't it had been great to have the internet capabilities and this board during that time. A friend, would scan the Post every morning and cut out all Billiken articles and mail me a "Billiken Update" a couple times a week. Trying to get the scores of Billiken games through the Stars and Stripes would be a two day wait. Go Bills!

I've been to Trier 3 times one of my favorite cities in Germany. I always wanted to go to that Bier Akademie near the Bahnhof they had over 150 beers there or something. That would have taken sometime to sample all of those. Also I loved Wiesbaden always had a great time there with alot of German friends. I bagged groceries at the commissary so I would have beer money every night in the summers I was there (while a SLU student my dad was stationed there).

Quick factiod: Pricsella Presley is a graduate of Wiesbaden High School. That is where Elvis met her while he was in Freibourg.

... was what a senior point, which is what Brandon would have been NEXT year, could lend and teach an incoming freshman (DPolk) about running a collegiate offense. I don't think his scoring would have been needed here. I don't think his rebounding would have been needed. I think we are going to suffer most from not having a PG with any experience next year, one that can allow a year of training for the successor-to-be so as NOT to have to learn on the job. That's an intangible that scares me most. Maybe DPolk will allay those fears. Time will tell.

For those of you saying Drejaj ... sorry. He's a spot-shooter with tremendous defensive skills. Not a true point guard. But he may have to do. At least he's a three-year player next year as well.

"a senior point, which is what Brandon would have been NEXT year, could lend and teach an incoming freshman (DPolk) about running a collegiate offense"

I'm sure that very thinking is what led Brad to latch onto Brandon so early in the juco recruiting process. Now that we know we're not going to have him, Polk is gonna have to get a lot of reps with the first team in practice.

There are always a few crazy winter activities in Wisconsin and there has been some winter golf events. But I don't think winter golf has ever been very popular (with golfers at least).

I am pretty sure that UWGB uses their golf course as part of their X-Country Skiing trails in the winter.