Pre-draft athletic testing - Wow...

David, Ian's worth is measured in how much space he eats in college. If he had tested near the top, we would not have his services next season.

This strength and athleticism is the reason why so many college stars turn pro and disappear. There is no seperation in overall physical talent in the NBA amongst 90% of the players, while there is an amazing disparity in college, and a vast gulf in high school.

Ian is not a great athlete, he is a basketball player. Running and jumping drills he will get killed but he could score on everyone at that camp. There are tons of big men with little man skills who get run out of the league because they are too soft and have no bball skills. Ian is not one of these guys. His exellence shows on the court not in agility drills.

>Ian is not a great athlete, he is a basketball player.

>Running and jumping drills he will get killed but he could

>score on everyone at that camp. There are tons of big men

>with little man skills who get run out of the league because

>they are too soft and have no bball skills. Ian is not one

>of these guys. His exellence shows on the court not in

>agility drills.

Former butterball Udonis Haslem just won an NBA title about 15 minutes ago. His weight was fine for college, and he played on some good teams including being the starting center on the 2000 team with other NBA guys like Bonner, Harvey, and Mike Miller. However he needed to lose weight to play at the next level and that's why he went undrafted. He lost a ton weight and made the Heat of out of training camp and the rest is history. You can't play your best without being in tip-top condition, certainly not at the NBA level. He's gotta drop the weight.

Look at the upside to this. Ian is the best center in the A-10 with all of these bad athletic traits,think what he could be if he is serious at improving his athleticism. Maybe the camps will be a wake up call for him. Lets hope he is serious about his offseason.

>VTime, we have the best center in the conference. Why take

>the top center and try to recast him as the fifth or sixth

>best forward? It doesn't make sense.

Getting in shape would make him a forward? Why do you think that? Dropping a few pounds can only help him in the runnning game and may allow him to be more agile in the paint and stop picking up so many cheap offensive fouls.

What jumps out at me is that ALL of these measurements can be greatly improved with some hard work. Body fat reduction requires a nutritional program and a daily cardio workouts. Bench press can be quickly improved with a regular strength routine. (A lot of 175 lb frat boys can bench press as much as Ian.) A vertical leap can be improved by at least 6 inches through the 12-week jumpman program or a similar program.

Ian is never going to be one of the top athletes at these camps, but he doesn't need to be the worst either. If he is committed to being a great college basketball player and a future NBA player, he needs to develop a strenuous diet, exercise, and strength program and stick to it. The work he puts in over the next four months may determine the fate of his long-term basketball career.

ironically i have been screaming for an ian health and conditioning plan for 3 years and got nothing but slack for it from most of this board.

the good news is that this camp apparently has hit home with ian. and as willie stated, maybe this is the final inspiration that ian needed to finally get serious about this.

i totally agree with vtime on this issue. it doesnt matter what position ian wants to play, or the nba wants him to play, or slu wants him to play, if ian is truly serious about ever playing in the nba, this is the issue he has to resolve over the next year and hopefully before october. go get it ian.

>"Ian is never going to be one of the top athletes at these

>camps, but he doesn't need to be the worst either."

>

>If Georgetown's Roy Hibbert goes pro next year, I can

>guarantee Ian won't be the worst athlete at the camp.

Conditioning is an issue. Guys who had been chubby for years like Antione Walker and Elton Brand acknowledged the need to be in the best shape possible to play at their peak. Brand had a career and that's saying a lot for a career 20 and 10 guy. You can be GOOD out of shape, but you can't be GREAT. Carmelo Anthony shed the weight this past summer and catapulted himself into a top 10 scorer in the league. You can't be at your best out of shape. Those shots at the ends of games come up short. You short arms free throws, can't get to rebounds you should have, miss free throws etc. Conditioning is essential for basketball. I'd also love to see Ian work on his mid range jumper so he can play some high post and have the option of taking the jumper or dumping the ball down inside off the double team to Bryce for dunks.

Hopefully SLU's current and future incoming freshman, who dream of playing in the NBA, will see exactly what IV was tested on and begin immediately to work on those athletic areas.

At the same time, I wish all post-players would redshirt their first year. IV is a classic case of someone who would have really benefitted from redshirting his first year on campus!

while Ian did rank last, it was last among players who even had a shot at the NBA. It's not like he's the worst-conditioend athlete in D1. I think he made great strides in terms of physical conditioning last year, but he does have a lot of work ahead of him.

I've been saying it's a shame that SLU is supposedly commited to being a top-50 program but has athletes going to Hammerbodies for conditioning. That said, part of it is up to Ian. He needs to hit the weights and cardio this year.

The Red Shirt thing I 1000% agree with.

In my opinion. A coach in a 2 year span should always recruit two giants like Byrce and Ian, so always 4 are on the team (I don't care if they are 7ft and ######, just give him a jersey instead of "holding a scholarship". Right now Bryce and Ian can be (and should be) sharing the floor (Let Bryce play the 5 for crying out loud), and then there is Young Bryce and Young Ian doing what Bryce is now (bang against a good big man every day in practice). One of these guys can be redshirted so only 3 are on the team. However, what is SLU going to do the year after Bryce now? Start a sophomore big man...again...

Is this only logical to me?