Billikens next Assistant Coach! Get Excited/Angry...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IWithout knowing that much about Jamaal's backgroung except that he has been coaching ... I like the move. He is a SLU guy and a very personable guy. I'm sure he can recruit.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>i would rather vashon kids pass the act then be off to

>tourneys all over the country. he does the kids no favors

>not stressing that academics are THE MOST important thing.

Why does he get all the credit for the guys who dont qualif and none for those who do?

>>i would rather vashon kids pass the act then be off to

>>tourneys all over the country. he does the kids no favors

>>not stressing that academics are THE MOST important thing.

>

>

>Why does he get all the credit for the guys who dont qualif

>and none for those who do?

BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEYRE SUPPOSED TO DO! Why should he, as basketball coach, get credit for STUDENTS who play basketball qualifying. Thats the teachers jobs. Problem being, he seems to put a lil too much emphasis on basketball moreso than school for some of those boys. Instead of dragging them up to Peoria to get whooped up on, maybe a local game wehre they could steamroll someone and get some school work in?

It isn't hard to qualify academically. What is it? Over a 16 on your act and goes up by GPA? It's not like theyre asking them to cure cancer.

>>>i would rather vashon kids pass the act then be off to

>>>tourneys all over the country. he does the kids no favors

>>>not stressing that academics are THE MOST important thing.

>>

>>

>>Why does he get all the credit for the guys who dont qualif

>>and none for those who do?

>

>

>BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEYRE SUPPOSED TO DO! Why should he, as

>basketball coach, get credit for STUDENTS who play

>basketball qualifying. Thats the teachers jobs. Problem

>being, he seems to put a lil too much emphasis on basketball

>moreso than school for some of those boys. Instead of

>dragging them up to Peoria to get whooped up on, maybe a

>local game wehre they could steamroll someone and get some

>school work in?

>

>It isn't hard to qualify academically. What is it? Over a 16

>on your act and goes up by GPA? It's not like theyre asking

>them to cure cancer.

I know a LOT of bright kids who work hard in school, but just dont test well.

try saying that about yourself in your next interview just to see how far it gets you; "I got a 16 on my ACT, but I did get good grades!"

The reason why the ACT is used is because it is a benchmark across schools, states and regions; everyone takes the same test, whether you go to Vashon here in StL or Benet Academy in Lisle, IL (a little hometown plug there). It should be clear that a 3.0 student at a school in Pigsknuckle, Arkansas might have an easier curriculum than one in Sharkfin, Florida. In fact, some of the public schools in my area in the Chicago 'burbs count a phys ed class in your GPA, BUT ONLY IF IT HELPS.

Based on GPA alone, a kid could get A's in Home Ec, Phys Ed. and Keyboarding and earn a lower score on a standardized test than the kid that got C's in Chemistry, AP physics and AP American history. That's why that ACT score is a wee bit more important than the GPA...

Here's Jamall's profile from the Ball State website...

http://www.ballstatesports.com/profile/0,1...7-6-857,00.html

Maybe he can help some of our players shoot from the perimeter? I noticed that was part of his job at Ball State.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

however let's not forget that most of you, and myself, received the benefit of ACT preps and other software programs. In many of the socially disadvanted neighborhoods, that is not the case.

I know one of the posters imply how easy it is to score an ACT of 16, however the AVERAGE score of all St. Louis Public School students is 17 and it's worse in the Kansas City Public Schools. The lack of success can be more attributed to societal and environmental barriers than Floyd Irons.

I'm not trying to argue that its a joke that schools underperform; I'm just trying to say that an ACT score is a legitimate way to compare students from varying backgrounds. Question #23 in the science section on the ACT was the same for me and everyone else from the HS class of 2003, but question #23 on the final I took in second period was more than likely different than quetion #23 on your second period final that year...

vtime, because his percentage of kids that do qualify is far lower than most high school coaches imo. and to think that in some instances he begged kids to come to vashon rather than stay in a school district that was performing better academically proves he doesnt really have the kids best interests at heart. he only cares about winning basketball. fyi, high school sports should always be secondary to high school academics.

now if coach irons really wanted to be a hero, he would be spending energy trying to force the vashon school district to upgrade their academic record. instead of convincing nike to give thousands of dollars for now uniforms that were already paid with district athletic funds, why not get nike to give those thousands of dollars to vashon academics? i'd be floyd irons number one fans if he showed he cared more about academics than basketball.

jamal had to learn the coaching side the hard way coming through the ranks. he also has battled personal setbacks with i believe a very serious car accident a few years ago. the man is chalk full of experience far beyond his age and i for one am thrilled to have such a hard worker coming to the staff. great choice!

amazingly doesnt it seem like a lot of vashon basketball players that apparently do so well in school, "just dont test well". i guess that is just a coincidence.

maybe they need to stop blaming and do the work to succeed.

i have always believed that the movie "stand and deliver" should be mandatory viewing for all high schools. those kids were all culturally deprived as well. but their teacher would not hear any excuses. hard work and dedication is the key to any academic success.

i will say this, it is more the parents fault than coach irons. the parents should be demanding academic success from about age 6 on. the kids need to be geared to learn. not just play. those parents shouldnt be making high school decisions based on basketball. that is about as stupid and shortsighted as can be and boo to the parents for not looking out for their kids future realistically.

>amazingly doesnt it seem like a lot of vashon basketball

>players that apparently do so well in school, "just dont

>test well". i guess that is just a coincidence.

not true the well-documented honor students, Polk, McKinney, Franklin, Hill, and Washington wall qualified. And so will Derron Hobbs. You cant name one Vashon honor student who didnt qualify.

>I would like to see UB take an assistant that runs a unique

>or at least maximizing offense (i.e. maximize his player's

>offensive ability) such as how John Belien was a DII coach

>for a while. There might be a few guys out there who run an

>effective offensive system that could really help SLU

>basketball; a guy trying to move up to the DI coaching

>level.

>

>As for Bonner, he's really a pipeline to Vashon? I haven't

>heard any evidence of his recruiting ability or if he has

>any connections in the coaching or high school level except

>at his old high school and his old college. What has he been

>up to?

Bonner would be an excellent choice. He's active in community, he's the best billiken player of all-time. He's a local guy who was super productive at a local high school. He holds the Bonner League and would no doubt be able to land the local guys.

In my opinion one of the things SLU has been missing is continuity with its past. The constant switching of coaches has taken its toll in this area but I was really hoping this hire would be somebody that played for the Bills in the past. While Bonner or Clagget would have been fine selections, Jamal has paid his dues on the college level and I'm thrilled to get an experienced coach AND a former Billiken.

p.s. I'm still a little pissed at him for turning the ball over twice vs. the Illini in the final minute and thus costing us a W in Champaign but if he can land a big-time recruit all will be forgiven.

I think his defense in SLU's last NCAA tournament win makes up for it already. It was his steal that fed Larry's big "game-changing" dunk (and he had other big defensive plays in that game too).

He sure was a streaky shooter.