SLU wins, athletic department loses

bonwich

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, ...and this is what makes the world go round. I couldn't disagree more...this is after seeing the difference at many other places. No one is saying eliminate the band...but they would play pre-game, half-time...during a few timeouts during game...but would have their role reduced considerably. I am in favor of that....it is FAR ...light years far from an NBA atmosphere, and it does not come across as forced. NBA atmospheres are boring. The band has its place, but it needs to make room for other things too.

Oh, I've seen it. I saw it in Chicago when I saw the Bulls play the Kings. I saw it in Cleveland when I saw the Cavs play the Bucks. I've seen it in Milwaukee (hmm... same building, same video guys, same sounds guys..) when the Bucks played the Magic.

If you tried to introduce that stuff at Duke, Kansas, North Carolina (read anyplace with tradition) you would be laughed out of the building.

I want SLU to be an old school tough basketball team. Flashing lights and thumping beats before the game will only put the wrong ideas in the heads of the fans and the players.

Oh, yah... and then the band gets pushed back to the background, the band alumni stop caring.. and stop showing up. Talk about "student" attendance if that happens.

As a band member, I don't show up if all we play are pre- post- and half-time at the games. If that is all you want us there for, I sure hope you can make up for all the spirit we provide, because we won't be there if you have your way. It's just not worth it.

For those keeping score today:

BAND HATERS

1. courtside

2. LoveForVouk

No, not a band hater....plenty of opportunities for the band to play at games, not just pre-game and post game and half time....HOWEVER there will be plenty of other times I would prefer the alternative.

Are you advocating band only music the whole game?

I am far from a band hater...and like to hear school fight songs all the time. A great joy was on a visit to the College Football HOF in South Bend for example...there is an entire room where you can pick a school's song and hear it roar....I think Schasz would just have Rocky Top on repeat for an hour...I greatly enjoy Texas' song as well as many others.

I can do without some of the tired deceade repeated and outdate numbers. I have first hand seen the difference at games at places...the increase in atmosphere is amazing.

courtside, you have become one of my favorite "must read" posters, however we gotta disagree on this one. i detest the pre recorded stuff and would have the band play exclusively. now if your b!tch is that they dont take enough chances (i still think when you all had the vocalist for "vehicle" that was awesome. never saw it done before at a college basketball game) or play the same songs all the time, i wouldnt fight you on that. but our band is just tremendous and i would prefer the band all the time.

What you have to understand is that the band is such an integral part of the Billiken game experience. A SLU crowd is different than any other crowd I've ever seen. They are not going to respond to the piped in modern experience that you are talking about. Hell, it's surprising that the band isn't dressed up in spats and hats and playing only John Phillip Souza marches. We're sort of the bridge between the septugenarian crowd that's paying for the new building and the younger generation. By the way band, you need to hit all your kicks harder. When you were playing Carry on my wayward son last night it didn't pop like it should. When you play Vehicle it's the same way. I want all those old people to jump out of their seats because you are hitting it so hard. Overall you guys are playing great, and the rhythm section is awesome, but there is always room for improvement.

All I ask is that if people are going to strongly object to something...they should see it first. I can at least say I have seen some places that have really impressed me with their total game experience.

I have no problem with people sticking up for the band. That is fine, no problem. But I do have a problem if people are going to give the old knee jerk, oh not that stuff etc...blah blah...without experiencing a few places first.

If someone is unable to experience other places, fine, I understand that....but then a more informed response would be ...well ...I sure do love the band...not sure if you understand the history, and special place the band has at SLU...etc...I can't speak for other stuff, but this is what I like.....That might make more sense to me.

Instead some of the posts will come across as though those people do not emrace progressive change. Change can always be bad, but it can be good too, and done well to mix in something for everyone and make everyone happy. You see...you, this poster, that poster...etc..are not the only fans or only targeted fans...and neither am I ....

And for the record...not chest thumping, because it isn't my style usually....but I am well aware of the band at SLU and other places...I have been going to SLU games since Luther Burden and Pee Wee Leonard...and SLU's band, while fun, good, great etc...isn't more special than many other bands out there too. Again, go see other places on their turf. I am in a position where I can do this, and I am telling you my own experience.

And as I said, I am not in favor of anything that is shocking, or not clever, or tastefully done. I am willing to bet a lot of $$ that what I am explaining is not the impression you have in your mind. If you start from scratch and go to game without thinking of this in some places...you will leave thinking...wow, everything done from the minute I walked up to the game til I left was unbelievably well done. ...and you will be blown away by the difference.

Courtside,

My wife being the UT Alum would correct you here as Rocky Top really is not an original UT fight song...there are two other fight songs and of course she would know the name and words of both of them...now the average joe college fan would certainly think that Rocky Top was the fight song, as it can be played over and over at a UT sporting event. By the way, the band does play the other fight songs at the games...just not like they do Rocky Top.

I would say the atmosphere I enjoyed the most at SLU games was the final two years of Clags-Highmark era with H. For me the atmosphere at those games was electric, and by the way I thought in Debbie Yow we had a heckuva AD so I am not buying into the SLU has NEVER had a decent AD argument. By the way, until I moved in '96 I would never miss a Billiken home game and went to a few road games so I have been to other arenas too.

I think we can get to that kind of excitement and atmosphere again with the current group of players with an addition or two...would like to see a little more up tempo ball...not saying race horse either. A winning exciting team...NCAA bound...band is fine with me as they add to the college atmosphere.

I am biased.

I have seen it as well. Saw it last weekend in New York at Madison Square Garden when St John's hosted Syracuse.

No band, no student support (about 100 St John's kids), no cheerleaders and no dancers. Add all of that up and add in piped in music and videos on the jumbotron you get NO ATMOSPHERE! There were plenty of people in the building (most from Syracuse) and it was a morgue. NONE of the piped in lights and music did anything for the crowd.

Give me a band (a good one) anyday and it will beat out the same old piped in stuff every time.

(by good band, I mean one that plays more than the schoo fight song and a couple of chants)

Folks...if you want no band, think back to the game at the Family arena early in the season when we couldnt be there. THAT is what you would get.

>Folks...if you want no band, think back to the game at the

>Family arena early in the season when we couldnt be there.

>THAT is what you would get.

Exactly. Even though the building was pretty well full, there was absolutely NO atmosphere.

I wish I could bring up a thread on a Memphis board from a SLU-Memphis game in Marque Perry's senior year. The game was at Savvis, and I can remember Memphis fans who had gone to the game commenting on how great the SLU Band was in that game. They thought it was great how the whole game went by without any canned music being played.

I think the best example comes with the canned stuff that is played when the team comes out and right before starting lineups. Now, just to be safe, I'm not suggesting that the Band should take over playing there, but I just want to point out that aside of the Blue Crew, absolutely NOBODY responds to it. At just about every game, while they start the music before the starting lineup for the Billikens, very few people get up, and I end up making some sarcastic comment like "And the crowd rises to its feet".

So, basically, I don't want any techno, canned garbage.

I am going to disagree with you two on this one. The mayor and his staff have played a critical roll in the billions of dollars of development in downtown over the last several years and you two are upset that he hasn't micromanaged traffic lights. (Actually, he is working on the issue. See http://www.mayorslay.com/news/display.asp?prID=89)

I'm sorry, but I have to chime in on this and pur my two cents in here and stick up for my cohorts. Through countless of trips through my college years and now as an alum, I have seen/heard many other bands. I'm sorry courtside, but for you to come and say our band isn't anything special next to others, that's where you are dead wrong! I believe it was my first trip to Cincy, oh about 4-5 years ago for the Men's tourny. After the game while we were packing up, we were underneath ESPN's camera station over the tunnel. One of their camera crew poked his head down and told quite a few of us, "You guys are by far the best band we've heard today and by far the best in this conference!" Much to the satisfaction that every band member took in that statement, I think it very much signifies how good we really are. Instead of playing a stupid cheer EVERY SINGLE TIME/TIMEOUT, we go out on that limb and push ourselves with newer, and more difficult songs EVERY year. I pose the question to you: how many bands have you seen/heard, that has a singer, or a soloist (or two, or three at one time), and plays the variety of music we do. I'm sorry and not to toot our own horns too much, but from watching the A-10 games this year, there's not one who will stand up to us.

Sorry, but I had to respond to this. I'm not calling you a hater, but I think you should re-evlauate how many people this disturbs when you post something like that. And thanks to everyone who supports us, Mike definitely takes a lot of pride in us and just wants to give the fans THE VERY BEST band around.

The band is great! I've got two observations.

1. At Dayton, their band actually went on to the floor before the game and played a bit. It was pretty cool. They've got a pretty decent band. Something like this should be considered. Especially once we get our own building.

2. Please be sure to get your 'dream set-up' conveyed to the proper people prior to construction of the building. A customized band stand with built in cabling for your sound system would sure beat the heck out of cramming yourselves in between the seats in a typical building!

Keep up the great sound!

Every game there is a contest or something that is done so poorly as to make us look like bush league nimrods. There ought to be a "game management czar" to cut through the BS and make everything flow nicely. I agree with courtside in this. HOWEVER we need more band not less (hopefully they won't be cut out of seating in the bargain basement arena sponsored by BIG LOTS!) I agree that canned music can be well done but usually isn't. The family arena non-band date was big time awful.

The few places I've been, including KU, KU in KC, Illinois, Missou, have nothing that can be considered noteworthy. Hearing the cacophany coming from the road feeds we get from charter, I'd be suprised if ANY A10 band could touch ours. I don't mind our player intros and would like to thank the band for not stepping on them. I love it when the band interrupts the canned BS Savvis commercials!

The "dream set up" is something that I think we are all pretty concerned with. From my knowledge, Mike has not been approached about what kind of set up we want or need. Permanent seats in the end zones will not be good.

Of course, setting us up on the sides just behind the visitors bench could be nice... Try having a time out with 100 horns blaring behind you.

Or I guess we could just have canned music and courteously allow the other team to hear each other when setting up plays...

I would imagine that there will not be any portable seating behind the goals as in the Savvis since it is being built as a basketball venue. Space behind the visitors bench will be high priced seats so that is out. I am not sure where to put you if being behind the goals in permanent seating is not appropriate.

From the very posting you cited, which was put up in summer, 2005:

"New controllers that will improve the synchronization of downtown’s traffic signals are expected to be installed later this year."

It's 2006. Are they done yet? Have they started yet?

Someone's going to have to be killed crossing a street before the City (currently Slay, but for at least four mayors before him as well) figures out that a billion dollars in investment is virtually meaningless with a third-world traffic and pedestrian-crossing system. (Oh, wait, my bad -- the City's gross negligence already murdered a world-renowned pedestrian safety expert by allowing traffic lights that simultaneously gave the green light to vehicles and a "walk" signal to pedestrians.)