2 Jesuit U's Are Going Dancin

Schasz

Not that Gonzaga didn't already have an invite secured, but it was good to see them win the rubber match VS St. Marys who I am also sure will make it as an at large. Wouldn't it be nice to find another 6'8" Adam Morrison who had 30 in last nights championship game? I thought last year was the Zags year, but they will probably surprise me with a run this year. I do like their inside game. St. Marys will be a first round team that no one will be thrilled about drawing.

I am sure our Creighton fan is in 7th heaven as his team had a heck of a nice spurt at the end to make a close game a walk in the park. Creighton has a nice thing going on at the MVC. Speaking of the MVC how many teams will get in...two or three? If N. Iowa is the third team then Southwest will be NIT bound.

By the way Ahearn fans...in my one and only view of this kid this season...I was not impressed at all. Not exactly a step up performance from him last night...I thought he was nails from beyond the arc. Perhaps, Coach Soderberg did know something in not offering him a scholie.

Finding 6'8 wing players that average 25 ppg in high school --like Adam Morrison did -- is incredibly hard to do. And even if you find one you're going to beat out the big boys to get him. Gonzaga is a proven program on the rise so they were able to do just that.

Next year is such a big year in the life of this program. It could literally mean the difference between landing a "program maker" recruit, like Leon Powell is shaping up to be, or staying in our holding pattern.

First off, it was a great weekend. The whole Creighton team stepped forward and earned this championship. The improvements this team has made in the last 2 months are what did it. Altman also has done some great game coaching and seemed to out coach everyone this weekend.

Now my question is about Lisch, I was wondering if a Nate Funk or Ben Jacobson would be good comparisons? Neither had a real good tournament, but for the season these two carried their teams. Both are Juniors & 6'3" shooting guards & actually both from the same town, Sioux City, Iowa. Here are their numbers:

Funk--17.6 pts,.517 fg% .467 3pt%, .824 ft%, 5.0 rb, 2.3 assists

Jacobson--17.8 pts, .490 fg%, .454 3pt%, .821 ft%, 3.8 rb, 2.7 assists

If this is the kind of production we could expect from Lisch as a sophomore on, I think we would be in great shape. I have seen both of these two play this year and last and they are special players. I have not seen Lisch play but this is kind of what I envision where I hear him being described.

>It could literally mean the difference between landing a

>"program maker" recruit, like Leon Powell is shaping up to

>be, or staying in our holding pattern.

3star,

Would you agree that Leon Powell needs to grow a couple inches (maybe get to 6-foot-8 or 6-9) before he's considered a "program maker?"

That's going to be the interesting thing with him. If he doesn't grow, and is a 6-6 power forward/small forward with hops as a high school senior, I still think he'd be a good fit for SLU but won't get much other attention -- except for probably the local Missouri Valley schools. If he grows to 6-8 or 6-9, SLU will have to recruit against a lot of other schools.

Nate

i did not watch the mvc game last night, and have not seen creighton this year, so i cannot comment on funk.

while i will undoubtedly be blasted for this, as i have in the past been for making the comparison, assuming he comes back 100% from his knee surgery, i really believe the best comparison might be travis deiner or gerry mcnamara only i believe that kevin is already physically stronger than both. kevin also (which i believe to be because of his very strong body) is able to go to the basket more and create the short jumpers. he is very good at creating his space and getting off his quick shot.

btw, my son told me today that the word at althoff is that kevin is already walking on it and shooting free throws. i hope he isnt rushing things.

also kevin was named this morning to the first team class A all-state team.

lucas o'rear, a sophomore i like very much from nashville, illinois, was on the third team.

BillikenR,

I hope you are even close on your comparison. I was thinking a comparison to Funk or Jacobsen(I really like his game) was asking for a lot but if you think Litsch could be more of a Diener or McNamara that would be great. If that's the case, good things are in store for the Bills.

I was there the last 2 nights at Santa Clara.

Gonzaga's Adam Morrison is a great player and is drawing comparisons to Larry Bird. It seemed as if he was unstoppable both nights. He can literally do it all.

Gonzaga is a very, very good team. The Zags could make some real noise in the NCAA. Randy Bennett said the Zags have improved since SMC last played them.

Scouts spotted at their table included Rudy Tomjanovich on Saturday night and Danny Ainge last night.

St. Mary's should still be in the NCAA with an RPI of 30. But Gaels' followers are on pins and needles until Selection Sunday. They are worried than SMC, a small college with a relatively small following, will be passed over by one of the big conference also-rans. I sincerely hope not because the Gaels (25-8) deserve to go to the Big Dance.

Do you think the Funk/Jacobson comparison is something similar to what we could expect from Lisch?

Iowa has been producing a lot of talent, Altman's teams have been well stocked w/ Iowa kids ever since he has been at Creighton. The nice thing about most of these small town kids, there are really no grade problems and few character issues.

The comparison of KL to Travis Diener or Gerry McNamara is a little too optimistic.

TD is a much quicker player than KL right now, hell TD is one of the quickest players in the nation. And then when u combine that with deadly accuracy from behind the arc he becomes great. Of what I have seen of KL is that he can hit the open three and he can create himself shots inside the paint and mid range jumpers. Diener has the skill that he can create a three point shot for himself and it is still a high percentage three. I have seen only 3 players in the country be able to create a GOOD three point shot for themselves (Redick, Salim Stoudemire, and Diener when hes healthy).

McNamara is in the same class as Taquan Dean in that they are excellent shooters and players but probably couldnt be asked to carry a team as evidenced by them having Garcia and Warrick.

I expect KL to come in and spread the D because he is a three point threat. I also expect him to drive to the lane (somewhat like LM did this season). But what potentially makes KL better than LM is that he will be able to finish. If we put KL and IV on the same side, that two man game will give other defenses fits.

While the comparison is a little lofty, I of course like what KL is going to bring to the table.

i personally think that pre the knee injury kevin lisch was as quick as diener and mcnamara. and while i dont think kevin is the shooter that mcnamara is now, i think he is what mcnamara was as a freshman at syracuse. and brings far more physically and defensively than either of the two.

St. Mary's is in, no question.

Kevin should be able to make a complete recovery and not lose any speed or lateral motion, according to two former Bills soccer players that are the kings of meniscus tears. Kevin's tear was a partial, not a catastrophic, tear, so we should be seeing a totally rehabbed SG next year.

The other comment, reinforced multiple times, is that all the Lischs are good kids that work like absolute maniacs. Kevin will be rock solid physically come September.

Again, to remind some of the people who still might be wandering around under the doom and gloom cloud, Brad and staff have recruited and signed a top 5 (IL)combo shooting guard from a local Illinois large school, and a top 5 (national prep)combo point guard slasher from the preeminent prep school in the country, formerly an ESL Illinois large school product.

Brad and co. should be chasing after some top ranked bigs, because the kids will know we will have a stable of top talent guards to get them the ball in the paint. We will be dancing in two years, and hopefully next year! Make it three Jesuit schools.

while you are correct his tear wasnt a complete tear, it was very extensive as well. this is not a walk in the park recovery.