huge win!

jjray

Memphis and now Marquette. Reggie hadn't made a shot all day and nailed 2 threes midway through the 2nd half that really kept us in the game at that point. Ian was a monster in the post, I think he had 10. Drejaj hit some big shots and kept his boneheaded plays to a minimum. D. Brown played solid defense but looked tentative on the offense then made 2 TOs on the offense end in the 2nd (a charge and lost the ball in traffic). Not one of his better performances. Reggie was really solid in the 2nd half besides hitting the 3s. He rebounded, took care the ball, and distributed. Dwayne hit 2 3s today, huge, plus made his freethrows down the stretch.

1) he stayed with Reggie when I wouldn't have.

2) his teams always get better as the season goes on (now we need to work on not starting so slow)

3) the team never gave up this year

4) he found Ian who will be a very nice player for us the next two seasons

Caught the game on YES. I would just add the AD did an excellent defense job on Novak. With that nudge style of defense it really frustrated the all-CUSA performer. Also those key 3's in the beginning of the 2nd 1/2 kept them from being blown-out.

Another was those key FT at the end by Polk. Nice job by a freshman.

How long is it till October 15th................Can't wait.......

Take that, Marquette, all the way to the NIT and second division status in the Big East.

If there was one game we wanted to win this year, it had to be Marquette. To beat Marquette in Milwaukee on its Senior Day is super sweet.

Even with Diener, Marquette was overrated. Marquette is the poster team for the fallacy of the RPI. Marquette came into this game with an RPI of 53. Marquette and its followers still held out hope for an NCAA bid. Even that false hope has to be gone now.

In truth, SLU should have swept Marquette this year.

We will take the win today.

In this disappointing season, the Billikens at least have improved. Valuable experience has been gained for the young players.

Amen! These last two games show what we might have been able to accomplish if we had made a shot at a key time or had a shot by our opponent miss at a key time. It is not hard to imagine this team winning 20 games if the season were to start over today.

But you have to love the play of Polk and Ian in terms of the future potential for this team. They were awesome. Polk's rebounding was incredible. Danny did not have a great game and that missed 3 pointer 5 seconds into the shot clock and the two turnovers late in the game after we took the lead had my hair standing on end. Those were freshman mistakes that he will get over and he also gives us great hope for the future.

How about Drejaj? He hit a couple of huge shots in the first half and several in the second half and he played tough as nails. His defense on Novak was masterful--giving up 8 inches and giving him fits all over the court.

Reggie had an interesting game. Early he had open looks and his shot looked ok but he made nothing. I could not understand why he was playing so much. He was 0-6 or 0-7 and we could not score a point. Yet, to this young man's credit, he came back and played hard in the second half and when he finally hit 2 big 3 point shots late we started to look like the team everyone expected to see when we started the year. If Reggie could get hot in the conf. tournament and everyone understands that we must run the offense from inside out we could give people fits!

The announcers on ESPN+ were extremely positive about coach Soderberg and the grit and determination of a team that is 8-20. I agree wholeheartedly. The team is playing hard and with great intensity. It is a tribute to the kids and the coaches. First loss for Marquette at home in March in over 10 years--The last team to do it was our Billikens!

Nice pass by Dwayne to let reggie cap off the scoring, but boy it looks like he has no faith in pushing off his foot.

Dwayne had the kind of game I hope will give him confidence, hitting the FTs at the end was key. Ian has learned to move without the ball well, getting feeds for easy baskets from Drejaj, Izik and Reggie. I think the gaurds are getting used to the idea that they do not have to finish no matter what, and if it is not there, look for Ian.

Wasn't SLU a 9 seed in the C-USA Tournament won in Lorenzo Romar's first year, the year of the Miracle of Memphis? This is the second time I've heard someone claim that SLU was a 12 seed, and I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. Also Larry Hughes was not on that team. Hughes' team earned an at large bid to the NCAA 2 years earlier.

I just went over the the Marquette board. A lot of unhappy campers; it will get worse once the fans at the game get home. They are not as cocky as they were a couple years ago after the Final 4 run. It just shows how important Diener was; without him they are pretty ordinary

Let's see how confident they are next year when they get to the Big East.

This was the first Billiken game I have seen this year. It was an ugly first half offensively for both teams. The Bills played good defense in both halves and I felt set the tempo for the game. I was impressed with SLU's composure down the stretch. A very impressive win and a great way to finish out the regular season. With a little luck and one or two upsets, we could win the tournament. Go Bills!

Isn't it great what a win can do for one's attitude. Congratulations to the team and the coaches.

>Crean is getting ripped on the Marquette board. Of course,

>SLU is getting no credit.

>Marquette has no point guard without Diener. I was hoping

>SLU would be able to exploit that. Chapman and Mason are

>2-3 types. Townsend is a 4.

Crean must be pissed he turned down the Illinois job after Self left.

The Pyramid, Memphis, Tenn.

First Round

Wednesday, March 8

(9) Saint Louis 59, (8) Southern Miss 51

(12) Houston 77, (5) Marquette 75

(11) Memphis 60, (6) South Florida 58

(7) UNC Charlotte 76, (10) UAB 73

Quarterfinals

Thursday, March 9 (ESPN Plus)

Saint Louis 68, (1) Cincinnati 58

(4) Tulane 76, Houston 69

(3) DePaul 80, Memphis 76

UNC Charlotte 57, (2) Louisville 52

Semifinals

Friday, March 10 (ESPN Plus)

(9) Saint Louis 64, (4) Tulane 46

3) DePaul 56, (7) UNC Charlotte 49

Final

Saturday, March 11 (CBS)

(9) Saint Louis 56, (3) DePaul 49

i'd give pog to drejaj. the job he did on novak compared to in st louis was tremendous. plus when no one was scoring he managed to hit a couple of 3's to kind of take the lid off the basket.

ian keeps getting better, but he still needs to be stronger. had a few rebounds just ripped away from him. the sooner he realizes it and gets serious about conditioning and training the sooner he will become the player you all think he is already.

reggie making those 2 threes down the stretch was probably the nail in the coffin. they worked so hard to shut him down and did until the end.

i agree with billikan on polk and his rebounding and free throw shooting today. the espn guys kept saying he would miss and he kept making them.

imo, we are just a better team than marquette without diener on their team.

good when Ian touches the ball down low. Either he draws a double team and passes it back out (how nice is that considering the black hole that our guards had with Heinrich, Tatum and Kenny Brown) or he is strong enough to take it into the middle and get a high % shot.

To me the biggest difference between the 1st and 2nd halfs was the involvement of Ian and IO on the offensive end.