Not sayin', just sayin' - The A-10....

One might argue Bennett and Cheeks are major contributors at Dayton but my counter would be no, they are merely role players in Grant's system that makes the whole Dayton team run through Holmes.  Holmes is the hero .... all others can contribute when the defense collapses on Holmes and given their record, they usually do.  

The Wiz likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

What P6 players have transferred down to the A10?  P6 schools/players in bold face.

Richmond:  Quinn (Lafayette), Hunt (Wagner) and King (East Tennessee State), and Harris (East Carolina).

Loyola: Adelekun (Dartmouth), Alston (D2), Mwamba (Oral Roberts), and Watson (Davidson).

Dayton:  Santos (Pitt), Cheeks (Robert Morris), Jack (Buffalo), and Bennett (Merrimack).

VCU: Kuany (Cal), Bamisile (Oklahoma), Jackson (Michigan), Nelson (Richmond) and do you count Shulga and Bairstow who followed Odom from Utah State?

Umass:  Cohen (St. Francis (PA)), Cross (Louisville), Hankins-Sanford (South Carolina),and  Diggins (Uconn).

Bonaventure:  Venning (Morgan State), Banks (St. Peters), Pride (Bryant), Adams-Woods (Cincinnati), Luc (Holy Cross), and Flowers (Hartford).

Duquesne: Grant (Miami of Ohio), Clark (VCU), the Drame twins (La Salle), Mahorcic (NC State), Savrasov (Georgia Southern), and Williams (Indiana State).

St. Joes: Coleman (East Carolina) and Greer (Dayton).

Fordham: Akuwovo (Binghampton), Rivera (Lafayette), and Medor (Texas-San Antonio).

La Salle: None.

Rhode Island: Bilau (Wichita State), House (High Point), Kortright (Quinnipiac), Montgomery (Bradley), and Weston (Seton Hall).

Davidson: Skogman (Buffalo), Brizzi (Villanova), Cochera (William & Mary), and Moss (Stanford).

George Washington: Harvey (Charleston), Bishop (LSU), Smith (Evansville), Akingbola (Auburn), and Schroder (Oklahoma).

Saint Louis: Ezewiro (Georgetown), Meadows (Portland) and Dalger (Tulsa).

So 55 players on current rosters with 15 (27%) coming down from P6 schools.  Of those 15, only Santos, Bamisile, Jackson, Cross, Diggins and Bishop are really major contributors at their new schools and you can throw Ezewiro in there for good measure.  Interesting that the top two school sin the league have no P6 contributors yet they lead the league in terms of the standings.  

Exactly - nice work.

8 hours ago, ACE said:

And the NIL/free agency era has also not been kind to conferences like the A-10. We had people telling us that increased transferring would be neutral - the quality of players transferring out of the A-10 would equal those transferring down from the P6 to the A-10. With a few exceptions, that has not been the case. The days of transfers like Javon Bess coming into the A-10 to make an impact have become increasingly rare. Most of the transfers that are doing well now are players who were productive at the low D1 level - look at Richmond as a prime example and Bonnie to a lesser extent. On the flipside, former A-10 players are scattered throughout P6 programs. Even a blueblood program like Kentucky has had several former A-10 players and a Valley player in recent years.

Mid-majors like the A-10 and Valley really need to rally together to lobby for the expanded NCAA field of 96 to free up more at-large bids. That's the best chance of getting more bids in the future, because the current environment is not favorable.

Or just play better non-con schedules? 

Crewsorlose likes this

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

My numbers show that if Rich wins its final 2 games AND reaches the conference finals with Day...then both teams will Dance regardless of who wins that final game. Of course, this is a computer prediction that is driven by data. The NCAA still has the power to over rule the computers (mine and The NET) to "fix things" and "make things right"

It would depend on who was up against Rich on Selection Sunday....If it was Long Beach St....then RICH is in. If it is St. John's...then the answer to RICH will be ...."We are so sorry"

There is absolutely no chance that happens.  I’d rework that computer.

Crewsorlose likes this

1 hour ago, Lando Griffin said:

There is absolutely no chance that happens.  I’d rework that computer.

You missed the point of the post.  My post was part of a series of posts about the chances of the A10 receiving multiple bids to Dance.  The computer never said that the scenario  was a likely outcome.  It said  if you wanted that to happen here is how it could happen even if were a long shot.

41 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

You missed the point of the post.  My post was part of a series of posts about the chances of the A10 receiving multiple bids to Dance.  The computer never said that the scenario  was a likely outcome.  It said  if you wanted that to happen here is how it could happen even if were a long shot.

Not blaming you but the scenario would be better off run with St Bona, who has a lower NET than Richmond. (*At this movement)

But I guess any team with a halfway decent NET could feasibly make it in your long shot scenario thought.

12 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

Or just play better non-con schedules? 

A lot easier said than done. This is another problem for mid majors.  As these bigger conferences are forming, they are often playing more conference games (Big 12 for example are adding 2 more conference games next year). There are fewer non-conference games with P6 schools available. There is really no incentive for most P6 schools to schedule games against competitive mid-majors, that's why you see them play so many games against low majors early in the season.

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

A lot easier said than done. This is another problem for mid majors.  As these bigger conferences are forming, they are often playing more conference games (Big 12 for example are adding 2 more conference games next year). There are fewer non-conference games with P6 schools available. There is really no incentive for most P6 schools to schedule games against competitive mid-majors, that's why you see them play so many games against low majors early in the season.

As you say, getting P6 (soon to be P5) schools to schedule any Mid-Majors H and H is very difficult.  Do you want to play 2A for 1H?  I believe, but I'm not certain, all but the SEC will be playing 20 conference games next season.  It won't be long until the SEC does also.   Getting Q1 or Q2 games won't get any easier.

Here is something the A10 and other Mid's should consider, dynamic scheduling within the conference.  The CUSA tried it a few years ago with limited success.  You play everyone once, and then your last games are set against teams in your tier.   It appears to be a pathway to getting multi-bids.

Lando Griffin and slufan13 like this

I really thought the A10/MWC showdown that ended up getting canceled was a good idea. The A10 should partner with as many conferences as they can. Because realistically you just aren't going to get those games with the power 5 conferences. 

Lando Griffin likes this

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I really thought the A10/MWC showdown that ended up getting canceled was a good idea. The A10 should partner with as many conferences as they can. Because realistically you just aren't going to get those games with the power 5 conferences. 

Id like to see something like just the T5 of both from the year before square off.  I dont need to see lasalle vs valpo - or us for that matter. 

11 hours ago, ACE said:

I get that, but moreso just schedule the better mid majors.  Not so many east west south Arky warm ups.

9 hours ago, slufan13 said:

This!!