Ford Interview with Kilcoyne

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost as if Coach Ford believed that he could teach a group of poor defensive players to become good defensive players.  You can't.  As far as I can tell, no one can.  And if you're not halfway decent on defense it doesn't matter how many points you score.

I am shocked that this team has only gotten worse defensively as the season progressed.  That's a humongous coaching fail.

VeniceMenace likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Recruiting is now a very distant second priority now with the b.s. pay to play NiL.   The first question all new recruits and transfer candidates ask now is, "how much will I get paid.".  Thus Ford's strongest attribute (maybe only attribute) has been diminished and virtually made him a non D1 coach imo.   He has to go.  

He has nothing to offer recruits. 

- He cant promise or ever say there's a good chance of playing in the tourney

- He cant recruit in the new world of recruiting

No clue what he can say anymore, SLU is a great school for an education?  Or arena is nice?  We have a shiny building where you can get food and Gatorade after 7 pm?

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's almost as if Coach Ford believed that he could teach a group of poor defensive players to become good defensive players.  You can't.  As far as I can tell, no one can.  And if you're not halfway decent on defense it doesn't matter how many points you score.

I am shocked that this team has only gotten worse defensively as the season progressed.  That's a humongous coaching fail.

i have long believed defense and rebounding is more about hustle, effort and desire.   this team has little if any of those attributes.   which means ford failed in assessing the most difficult attribute of players when he put this team together.   character.  

that said, at the end of the grawer era, after his great bonner, gray and douglas teams he too was stretching and reaching on the likes of character for his last couple years recruiting.   he did bring in claggett and highmark but by then it was too late and he was toast at the end of that season.   meanwhile we saw his core last team have players just literally walk off the floor and disappear never to be seen on a college basketball court again, he had one player leave after a game and later that week show up on a college team in kentucky (memory tells me it was D-2 team) big Mel quit and surfaced in Arizona, the whole program turned to crap.   

there is nothing to be gained by waiting any longer and sooner ford is washed out, the sooner we can head off any more damage to the program.   I truly dont see a reason to continue to ride this nightmare.   i know myself, apathy is coming into play.    i looked at the box score tuesday night and didnt care a bit.   Saturday i am giving my seats to the couple that sits next to us so i am free to go to my 10 year old grandson's select games.   i honestly have to say, ford sticking around at this point will truly make me have a come to jesus meeting with myself on renewing my tickets.   

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i have long believed defense and rebounding is more about hustle, effort and desire.   this team has little if any of those attributes.   which means ford failed in assessing the most difficult attribute of players when he put this team together.   character.  

that said, at the end of the grawer era, after his great bonner, gray and douglas teams he too was stretching and reaching on the likes of character for his last couple years recruiting.   he did bring in claggett and highmark but by then it was too late and he was toast at the end of that season.   meanwhile we saw his core last team have players just literally walk off the floor and disappear never to be seen on a college basketball court again, he had one player leave after a game and later that week show up on a college team in kentucky (memory tells me it was D-2 team) big Mel quit and surfaced in Arizona, the whole program turned to crap.   

there is nothing to be gained by waiting any longer and sooner ford is washed out, the sooner we can head off any more damage to the program.   I truly dont see a reason to continue to ride this nightmare.   i know myself, apathy is coming into play.    i looked at the box score tuesday night and didnt care a bit.   Saturday i am giving my seats to the couple that sits next to us so i am free to go to my 10 year old grandson's select games.   i honestly have to say, ford sticking around at this point will truly make me have a come to jesus meeting with myself on renewing my tickets.   

Your boy Chris May brought you to this point, FYI. 

NextYearBill likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

He has nothing to offer recruits. 

- He cant promise or ever say there's a good chance of playing in the tourney

- He cant recruit in the new world of recruiting

No clue what he can say anymore, SLU is a great school for an education?  Or arena is nice?  We have a shiny building where you can get food and Gatorade after 7 pm?

we have seen enought fair to middling programs this year that truly utilized the portal this past spring/summer to instantly become a national threat.   so i wont agree he has nothing to offer in the way of sunrises on the horizon.   you are assuming he would be content with going into next year with the same team.   he is smart enough to know he has a truckload of dogs and MAYBE only 3 or 4 of this roster are worthy of fighting for them to stay.   i have never been in favor of chasing off players, but this team with their lack of hustle, lack of fundamentals and obvious give up attitude (i.e they are bad teamates) i would not shed a tear on any of them walking away or even being pushed out the door.  

we have seen enought fair to middling programs this year that truly utilized the portal this past spring/summer to instantly become a national threat.   so i wont agree he has nothing to offer in the way of sunrises on the horizon.   you are assuming he would be content with going into next year with the same team.   he is smart enough to know he has a truckload of dogs and MAYBE only 3 or 4 of this roster are worthy of fighting for them to stay.   i have never been in favor of chasing off players, but this team with their lack of hustle, lack of fundamentals and obvious give up attitude (i.e they are bad teamates) i would not shed a tear on any of them walking away or even being pushed out the door.  

How many of those schools have decent coaches who know how to coach?  Thats yet another factor to add in. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

That's what supposedly happened with malcontents after last year, right?  

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Your boy Chris May brought you to this point, FYI. 

you dont know that.   there are plenty of other actors involved in constructing the team.   particularly in this day of NiL.   is may exempt from blame?   probably not.  indirectly he obviously has a hand in it.   but the main culprit for the results fall directly on ford.   you get a contract like that, everyone from the fans to the head of the BoT to the biggest boosters have a right to expect much much better than what we got this year.   so time for ford to go to a new place.  

Just now, billiken_roy said:

you dont know that.   there are plenty of other actors involved in constructing the team.   particularly in this day of NiL.   is may exempt from blame?   probably not.  indirectly he obviously has a hand in it.   but the main culprit for the results fall directly on ford.   you get a contract like that, everyone from the fans to the head of the BoT to the biggest boosters have a right to expect much much better than what we got this year.   so time for ford to go to a new place.  

WHO DOES TRAVIS FORD REPORT DIRECTLY TO? WHO SIGNED THE 10 YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION!  

NextYearBill likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

How many of those schools have decent coaches who know how to coach?  Thats yet another factor to add in. 

i no longer watch enough non SLU college basketball to have any kind of intelligent response to that question.   in the last two years i rarely watch any other college basketball i have become so disillusioned with the sport due to NiL.   probably the college team i saw the most games played this year besides slu is the iowa women's team soley to watch caitlin clark.  i just dont care much anymore about college basketball.   

Roy I think you are spot on most of the time, but I think May holds as much if not more responsibility as Ford since he basically tied himself to Ford last spring. They both need to go.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

WHO DOES TRAVIS FORD REPORT DIRECTLY TO? WHO SIGNED THE 10 YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION!  

who had the final decision on the contract.  get a clue.   college basketball and college education is big business and the BoT and the boosters would have all been all in on that decision.   we know for a fact now biondi vetoed the contract that soderberg had negotiated and signed.   they may not challege may on some of the lesser sports programs decisions, but i am pretty sure may wouldnt have had absolute final authority on that ford contract.  

2 minutes ago, slu92 said:

Roy I think you are spot on most of the time, but I think May holds as much if not more responsibility as Ford since he basically tied himself to Ford last spring. They both need to go.

my information says ford being here this season had more to do with a couple of our biggest boosters fighting it out.   may would have just been the front guy which is what he is paid to be.  

if both ford and may go, i wont shed any tears, especially if the new selected coach can reinvigorate the atmosphere surrounding slu basketball.   but i am only in the fire ford camp at this time.   

we all know the BoT wont fire themselves or the president.   so of course the next best move is moving on from the next level or two.   but honestly, i think the real blame is the tip top of the slu authority.   they are the ones with the real authority has the combination to the safe and the relationships with boosters that can make a difference,  

who had the final decision on the contract.  get a clue.   college basketball and college education is big business and the BoT and the boosters would have all been all in on that decision.   we know for a fact now biondi vetoed the contract that soderberg had negotiated and signed.   they may not challege may on some of the lesser sports programs decisions, but i am pretty sure may wouldnt have had absolute final authority on that ford contract.  

The guy who still doesn't know how Endowment Funds work is telling me to get a clue. If Chris May gets to take credit for Kalish, he gets to eat the dogsh*t over Travis Ford. We all know Kalish hire was a directive from Kavanaugh. God forbid you no longer get a little bit of tummy rubbing from Chris when he is gone. 

sure bring in soccer to make your argument.   i know absolutely nothing about soccer.  well i know you cant use your hands.   all i am saying on the endowment funds is look for solutions outside the box.   if the funds are truly pledged of course they cannot access them.   but if they are truly unrestricted, we can do anything we want with them.  so if you are in the circle to know exactly the status of the endowment good for you.   i find it hard to believe you are, but good for you that you have that insight.   again, look for solutions outside the box.   

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my information says ford being here this season had more to do with a couple of our biggest boosters fighting it out.   may would have just been the front guy which is what he is paid to be.  

Well he didn’t have to double down on Travis being the head coach as long as he’s AD on Franks show last year. All he had to say is we need to improve, etc. Instead he touted 20 wins a season like NCAA isn’t the bar/expectation. So he should be fired just for being a dope. 

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

sure bring in soccer to make your argument.   i know absolutely nothing about soccer.  well i know you cant use your hands.   all i am saying on the endowment funds is look for solutions outside the box.   if the funds are truly pledged of course they cannot access them.   but if they are truly unrestricted, we can do anything we want with them.  so if you are in the circle to know exactly the status of the endowment good for you.   i find it hard to believe you are, but good for you that you have that insight.   again, look for solutions outside the box.   

You don’t have to know anything about soccer to know May takes credit for the Kalish hire. May is the Athletic Director presiding over one of the worst seasons in history and contracts since Bobby Bonilla. 

May clearly sided with the segment of the boosters that wanted Ford to stay. There was a solid segment that disagreed, and made a push. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

There are players in the NBA who are poor defensively.  It doesn't mean they lack character.  It means they're poor defensively.  It's not something they value.  You can say that someone who doesn't share your values lacks character, but I think that's overstating it.

1 hour ago, slu92 said:

Well he didn’t have to double down on Travis being the head coach as long as he’s AD on Franks show last year. All he had to say is we need to improve, etc. Instead he touted 20 wins a season like NCAA isn’t the bar/expectation. So he should be fired just for being a dope. 

first rule of middle management:   you can argue as much as you want behind closed doors in private meetings and in the board room with the top management folks. but when you go outside those meetings, you are all in on the final decision and defend it like it was your decision.   if you dont, your life with that organization is all but over.  

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

You don’t have to know anything about soccer to know May takes credit for the Kalish hire. May is the Athletic Director presiding over one of the worst seasons in history and contracts since Bobby Bonilla. 

May clearly sided with the segment of the boosters that wanted Ford to stay. There was a solid segment that disagreed, and made a push. 

since i dont follow any kind of soccer one bit i wouldnt know.    i hate soccer.   i think for children it is a nice activity to get exercise, beyond about 7th grade, go play a different sport.  so no i faintly even know kaiish is a slu soccer coach and i only know that because of cross talk on this board when a talking head starts talking soccer on tv or radio, i will switch to something more important like law and order reruns or the latest episode of maine cabin masters.