Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

12 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah I really don't think he has a SLU source on this and is just kinda drawing conclusions based on other people in the conference. Which is pretty much what Travis was fighting in the recruiting space. "He's likely not going to be around after this year".

It isn't clear where the info is sourced from - but he has a strong track record on things like this, and he tends to avoid posting rumors that he hasn't independently confirmed. It's certainly encouraging for those of us who would like to see a change. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, sludevil said:

It isn't clear where the info is sourced from - but he has a strong track record on things like this, and he tends to avoid posting rumors that he hasn't independently confirmed. It's certainly encouraging for those of us who would like to see a change. 

Let me rephrase: he doesn't have SLU sources.

I do appreciate the fact a guy like TD believes it's tournament or bust. Also, that people in the A10 think Travis is on the hot seat and it is encouraging, but Chris May has made it clear he doesn't give a fuok what anyone else is doing or thinking. 

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Let me rephrase: he doesn't have SLU sources.

I do appreciate the fact a guy like TD believes it's tournament or bust. Also, that people in the A10 think Travis is on the hot seat and it is encouraging, but Chris May has made it clear he doesn't give a fuok what anyone else is doing or thinking. 

we're not into the conference season i know but:

2024-01-02 09_48_09-2023-24 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Saint Louis University — Mozill.png

2024-01-02 09_48_30-2022-23 Men's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - Saint Louis University — Mozill.png

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

I hear you. The question is: do those that pay the bills think that this will turn around next season. 

I’d love to know what the boosters are being sold as it relates to next season. The heavy lifting on this team is being done by players who won’t be here next year. Plus there’s one HS player committed. So you’re in a situation where you have to replace most of your production via the portal or late cycle HS players, and the ace recruiter coach hasn’t recruited at a high level in recent years. It’s hard to see a drastic improvement next season, but I’m not one of the people who will have input on this decision. 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I hear you. The question is: do those that pay the bills think that this will turn around next season. 

depends on what we see from underclassmen down the stretch.  

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

I’d love to know what the boosters are being sold as it relates to next season. The heavy lifting on this team is being done by players who won’t be here next year. Plus there’s one HS player committed. So you’re in a situation where you have to replace most of your production via the portal or late cycle HS players, and the ace recruiter coach hasn’t recruited at a high level in recent years. It’s hard to see a drastic improvement next season, but I’m not one of the people who will have input on this decision. 

I'm not gonna be popular saying this(i'm often unpopular this year) but the recruiting class this year sucks

We have "Academically ineligible guy" from France; we have SVB who by all indications is a leftover Jim Crewsplatt stiff; Bruce is a "maybe" but looks totally confused on half of his plays; We have a 5' 8" point guard, who while tough is constantly getting his passes intercepted because he is too small, and he cannot defend because again.. too small; we have a chronically injured guard of questionable quality; and the one guy who i think can really play: three schools in three years Big Brad.

I like Ezewiro, but recruiting classes like this are going to send us straight down the tank again. This is a Soderberg-level recruiting class, and I never expected that from CTF. We went from French & Goodwin, and then Jimerson & Parker & Perkins.. to this.

Ford needs to go.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

I don't really think it should, but I don't have a pot to piss in. 

I don't think so either. When you have a detailed track record, none of this should matter.  That said, some folks tend to throw that out, and buy into fools gold - again.  This could very well happen if Bruce, Brad, Cian and Parker do well in conf play

3 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I'm not gonna be popular saying this(i'm often unpopular this year) but the recruiting class this year sucks

We have "Academically ineligible guy" from France; we have SVB who by all indications is a leftover Jim Crewsplatt stiff; Bruce is a "maybe" but looks totally confused on half of his plays; We have a 5' 8" point guard, who while tough is constantly getting his passes intercepted because he is too small, and he cannot defend because again.. too small; we have a chronically injured guard of questionable quality; and the one guy who i think can really play: three schools in three years Big Brad.

I like Ezewiro, but recruiting classes like this are going to send us straight down the tank again. This is a Soderberg-level recruiting class, and I never expected that from CTF. We went from French & Goodwin, and then Jimerson & Parker & Perkins.. to this.

Ford needs to go.

My opinion, I don't care what the recruiting class really looks like. I'm bigger on the portal than I am HS kids.  I'm fine with just one, maybe 2 HS kids a year, and the rest filled in with proven players.  We all know Ford isn't the recruiter he was pre- portal/NIL.  Apparently that one kid we did sign has the chance of being pretty good. 

At the end of the day we know who if Ford is as a coach. He's had a very consistent track record.  This is good news in that we know exactly what we will get from him.

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Ford needs to go.

Kind of a catch-22 with this class if they’re really bad. Either you keep them around, and it turns out they are bad in bigger roles, meaning the team stinks. Or, you part ways with the freshmen after the season, and have to replace 9 guys in the spring, which as I said in my original post, I don’t trust TF to do based on recent track record. 

Just now, wgstl said:

My opinion, I don't care what the recruiting class really looks like. I'm bigger on the portal than I am HS kids.  I'm fine with just one, maybe 2 HS kids a year, and the rest filled in with proven players.  We all know Ford isn't the recruiter he was pre- portal/NIL.  Apparently that one kid we did sign has the chance of being pretty good. 

At the end of the day we know who if Ford is as a coach. He's had a very consistent track record.  This is good news in that we know exactly what we will get from him.

Side note/self promo: You'll be interested in this weeks MMP. An interesting discussion on the carousel of freshmen in the front court. 

wgstl likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Side note/self promo: You'll be interested in this weeks MMP. An interesting discussion on the carousel of freshmen in the front court. 

was already bummed when I forgot to bring my head phones to work this am. 

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ford is an absolutely horrendous in-game and locker room coach. He's overly emotional, isn't very good at drawing up plays and teaching the game. He's a salesman, and that's fine. He recruited Marcus Smart to OKST, and having Marcus Smart makes any coach look like a genius. Where's Marcus Smart on our roster?

If his recruiting has dropped off because of Portal/NIL, then the game has left him behind and again he needs to go.

10 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Kind of a catch-22 with this class if they’re really bad. Either you keep them around, and it turns out they are bad in bigger roles, meaning the team stinks. Or, you part ways with the freshmen after the season, and have to replace 9 guys in the spring, which as I said in my original post, I don’t trust TF to do based on recent track record. 

He has to, just like Ford purged the roster after Crewsplatt and Majerus purged the roster after Uncle Brad.

With the transfer portal/NIL it should be easier to roster-purge than ever before.

These guys are PAID PRO ATHLETES. They are NOT the college amateurs of yore. This is not the same game as it was with UB. They are paid to play and win.

Just now, Soderball said:

He has to, just like Ford purged the roster after Crewsplatt and Majerus purged the roster after Uncle Brad.

With the transfer portal/NIL it should be easier to roster-purge than ever before.

These guys are PAID PRO ATHLETES. They are NOT the college amateurs of yore. This is not the same game as it was with UB. They are paid to play and win.

Definitely. I was speaking more to the problem with Ford specifically and a hypothetical next season.

If there’s a new coach, a house cleaning will be expected. The new guy will retain who fits his vision. 

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

Definitely. I was speaking more to the problem with Ford specifically and a hypothetical next season.

If there’s a new coach, a house cleaning will be expected. The new guy will retain who fits his vision. 

In the past I wouldn't rip the players as brutally as I will now(except for WBAT Brett Jolly.. because... yaknow..)

The smart thing to do in coach searching today is to bring in an existing coach and drag his players with him(see Providence, Utah St)

I don't know why we are hung up on keeping coaches 4+ years. Fire these guys and move through them and bring in new coaches with new players regularly, OR let a "bigger" school come and grab them from us and let us go grab some other teams players. The name of the game in modern college MBB is mercenary and wouldn't it be sweet if we were finally keeping up with the modern trends rather than playing a decade behind everyone else? Lazy, out of touch athletic dept and administration IMO. Starting to happen with SLU's academics as well. Be more forward-thinking. Be innovative. Stop being lazy.

8 years of CTF is insane.

25 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Ford is an absolutely horrendous in-game and locker room coach. He's overly emotional, isn't very good at drawing up plays and teaching the game. He's a salesman, and that's fine. He recruited Marcus Smart to OKST, and having Marcus Smart makes any coach look like a genius. Where's Marcus Smart on our roster?

If his recruiting has dropped off because of Portal/NIL, then the game has left him behind and again he needs to go.

Definitely overly emotional. Seems to me he wants to be playing as much as coaching which is why he's always stepping on the court or going too far onto the court. Can't believe he isn't warned more for how far and how often he ventures out there. There've been times when it looked like we had a sixth defender on the floor when he's three feet off the sideline and waving his arms around.

I think his strength is designing baseline OB plays and plays out of timeouts, but in general, our offense is boring and predictable. As much as anything, SLU is going to have to pony up the cash to get better players or whoever the coach is becomes irrelevant.

VeniceMenace likes this

40 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Definitely overly emotional. Seems to me he wants to be playing as much as coaching which is why he's always stepping on the court or going too far onto the court. Can't believe he isn't warned more for how far and how often he ventures out there. There've been times when it looked like we had a sixth defender on the floor when he's three feet off the sideline and waving his arms around.

I think his strength is designing baseline OB plays and plays out of timeouts, but in general, our offense is boring and predictable. As much as anything, SLU is going to have to pony up the cash to get better players or whoever the coach is becomes irrelevant.

-of course never will, but I would love to know what a new coach would demand as the amount of annual NIL support 

6 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-of course never will, but I would love to know what a new coach would demand as the amount of annual NIL support 

Good question. But a lot will overlook that when you tell them 3.5-4m per year is on the table 

Dr Bird likes this

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Good question. But a lot will overlook that when you tell them 3.5-4m per year is on the table 

I would hope that anyone structuring a coach's contract today understands that you can't overpay for a 'recruiter'. You need a guy who can construct a roster and really coach. And he needs a strong NIL budget. NIL fundraising is something that a coach and AD should be leading (those are the people donors want to connect with) with the understanding that their roles have evolved.

Soderball likes this

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Every coach is going to think they can be different. Just like guys like Dalger think they can come in and help turn around a falling program. 

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Overly emotional?  Some observers would call it intensity, which is generally considered a good thing.  
   No argument from me that his in -game management is inconsistent at best.  But if being ‘emotional’ helps motivate the players, then so be it.

5 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

Overly emotional?  Some observers would call it intensity, which is generally considered a good thing.  
   No argument from me that his in -game management is inconsistent at best.  But if being ‘emotional’ helps motivate the players, then so be it.

I would call his cocking his fist at his players to be an overly emotional response bordering into assault but that's just me.