NIL and the future

Band Legend

I think  we might all be looking at nil the wrong way- that is we need to play the long game instead of gnashing our teeth year to year.  The Billiken victory fund, or whatever the hell it is called, should be saving and investing it's money so that the next time a real superstar player emerges from St. Louis we have the money to pay him and fill in around him.  That's the best chance we have to make our mark on the national scene.  Sort of a Houston Astros  approach as compared to a Cardinals approach. We might need to live in the desert for awhile and experience pain as a fan base- lord knows we've done it before. 

18 hours ago, Band Legend said:

I think  we might all be looking at nil the wrong way- that is we need to play the long game instead of gnashing our teeth year to year.  The Billiken victory fund, or whatever the hell it is called, should be saving and investing it's money so that the next time a real superstar player emerges from St. Louis we have the money to pay him and fill in around him.  That's the best chance we have to make our mark on the national scene.  Sort of a Houston Astros  approach as compared to a Cardinals approach. We might need to live in the desert for awhile and experience pain as a fan base- lord knows we've done it before. 

So business as usual then?

NextYearBill likes this

19 hours ago, Band Legend said:

The difference between pro sports and college sports is every year in college sports is free agency for a player.  You can save up for four years, win the initial bidding war to acquire a blue chip recruit, only to lose him in an even hotter bidding war the following year. 

The high majors are orchestrating a future where there will be fewer spots for mid majors in the big dance.  They will grab their fair share of all-conference players from the mid major ranks in free agency. 

This talent deficit will trigger a change in the kinds of high school players recruited, IMO.  We need to be able to stop people.  I believe you will see more Larry Hughes Jr level recruits in the future, who are above average offensively but are very good defensively.

Coach314 and cgeldmacher like this

All I'm saying is the next time a Larry Hughes/ Jayson Tatum level recruit comes along that we have a we're not taking no for an answer amount of money set aside for it.  Would it be a one year joy ride- probably,  but it would certainly be fun.  St. Louis is a big enough basketball hotbed that you're going to get that player once a decade at least.

36 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

All I'm saying is the next time a Larry Hughes/ Jayson Tatum level recruit comes along that we have a we're not taking no for an answer amount of money set aside for it.  Would it be a one year joy ride- probably,  but it would certainly be fun.  St. Louis is a big enough basketball hotbed that you're going to get that player once a decade at least.

My philosophy is the exact opposite of this.

SLU in over 100 years has had three top ranked recruits, Macauley, Boushka & Hughes.  

If we could keep one of those guys for 4 years fine, invest the money.  We in no way need a top recruit to field good teams.  Our best teams have had a collection of 2-3 star recruits.  We don't need one NBA player, we need 5 guys on the roster capable of being Euro pros.  You get 5 guys like that and we are winning A10 titles and making tourney runs.  That is what we had with the good spoon teams and that is what we had with the good Majerus teams.  These type of players are much easier to acquire.  Simply ignore the top 50 STL recruits.  We don't get any of them no matter what.

Billikenbooster likes this

Right now the team looks a bit like the Spoon days four guards and a rebounder- except everyone is bigger and we have a bunch of guys who can dunk- but I am not sure who will rebound. 

On 11/3/2023 at 4:08 PM, Band Legend said:

So like Jgood. That didn’t work out well as far as post season success is measured . Same with Gordon and Nesbitt. Getting Beal and Tatum is awesome, but not sure it means March wins. This could in fact be a coaching issue, actually. 

57 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So like Jgood. That didn’t work out well as far as post season success is measured . Same with Gordon and Nesbitt. Getting Beal and Tatum is awesome, but not sure it means March wins. This could in fact be a coaching issue, actually. 

We need to win 3 more games a year.  Scoring hasn't been an issue the past 3 years.  We've been one of the best scoring teams in the A10.  We need to do a better job of stopping people.  That can be recruited for, just like offense can.

On 11/4/2023 at 1:16 PM, thetorch said:

My philosophy is the exact opposite of this.

SLU in over 100 years has had three top ranked recruits, Macauley, Boushka & Hughes.  

If we could keep one of those guys for 4 years fine, invest the money.  We in no way need a top recruit to field good teams.  Our best teams have had a collection of 2-3 star recruits.  We don't need one NBA player, we need 5 guys on the roster capable of being Euro pros.  You get 5 guys like that and we are winning A10 titles and making tourney runs.  That is what we had with the good spoon teams and that is what we had with the good Majerus teams.  These type of players are much easier to acquire.  Simply ignore the top 50 STL recruits.  We don't get any of them no matter what.

Where is Bob Ferry on your list?

7 minutes ago, gister said:

Where is Bob Ferry on your list?

As far as I know Ferry was more a local star. He didn't have the offers that Macauley and Boushka did. Maybe he was a 4 star, as opposed to a 5. Macauley, Boushka, Hughes were 5 star best in the country prep stars. Ferry was actually a big baseball star at Cleveland hs.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

As far as I know Ferry was more a local star. He didn't have the offers that Macauley and Boushka did. Maybe he was a 4 star, as opposed to a 5. Macauley, Boushka, Hughes were 5 star best in the country prep stars. Ferry was actually a big baseball star at Cleveland hs.

What ranking did Ricky Frazier have?