Jump to content

Womens Basketball 2023-2024


thetorch

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I was kidding about a rec team, but if they're playing a game tomorrow, that's the only thing it could mean.

They've had their Senior Night. When they got beat by GW. And GW is awful so they had to have been really short-handed.

Ah I wasn't able to be there for that, so I don't know why they've decided to schedule this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Ah I wasn't able to be there for that, so I don't know why they've decided to schedule this.

Hold on. I'm confused. I thought you meant Davidson had scheduled a game. Do you mean SLU women have scheduled a game? It would be senior night for us, yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Hold on. I'm confused. I thought you meant Davidson had scheduled a game. Do you mean SLU women have scheduled a game? It would be senior night for us, yes.

Yes, that's what I meant. SLU has scheduled against D-III Knox College tomorrow night.

White Pelican likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Yes, that's what I meant. SLU has scheduled against D-III Knox College tomorrow night.

OK thanks! That makes sense. I'd never heard of Knox College but it looks like they play in the midwest. The ladies will get their senior night then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, White Pelican said:

From Galesburg ILL. And the game is now on the SLU website. Thanks Jolly!

Oddly enough someone else caught it before me, just figured I'd post it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys haven't heard of Hard Knox? Their teams are called the Prairie Fire.

They were bounced from their conference tournament last Saturday. Finished 19-8 on the season but I don't think they have any postseason options.

Glad SLU is doing something to make sure they get a senior day. I just hope everyone stays healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You guys haven't heard of Hard Knox? Their teams are called the Prairie Fire.

They were bounced from their conference tournament last Saturday. Finished 19-8 on the season but I don't think they have any postseason options.

Glad SLU is doing something to make sure they get a senior day. I just hope everyone stays healthy.

I expect to see a lot of the bench players getting a lot of minutes. The top players? Some minutes to exercise them. Knox probably will play like it’s their postseason tournament, which it is.

Pistol likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You guys haven't heard of Hard Knox? Their teams are called the Prairie Fire.

They were bounced from their conference tournament last Saturday. Finished 19-8 on the season but I don't think they have any postseason options.

Glad SLU is doing something to make sure they get a senior day. I just hope everyone stays healthy.

Well,  I had heard of Galesburg IL if that means anything. 19-8 sounds like a pretty decent team, D3 notwithstanding. I too am happy for the women to get their Senior Night and I'm happy for another game to go to.

Lord Elrond and Pistol like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This actually sounds like a big deal for Knox College. They put out on their website that this was the first exhibition game against a D1 team in at least 20 years.  Also, average SLU attendance - 1,456 per game, total attendance for all 12 Knox College home games combined was 1,575. Glad to have them over for a game instead of nothing. The tallest player on their team is only 6’1”, but they do have some players who can shoot, they led their conference in scoring, and have the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th highest scoring averages in the conference on their team.

Pistol likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good move by SLU to schedule a game. Cool for Knox College for being willing to make the trip down and play. Very high class by them, and an actual smart move by May to make sure there is a game of some kind for senior night. This was very quick moving by SLU.

 

Can't say enough positive about Knox College and those ladies for making it down to play with barely 24 hour notice. That's a hefty pull and a real favor to the Lady Billikens.

 

Not good by Davidson. Bush league. Hope Davidson is reimbursing SLU for the cost of travel for Knox College and SLU for canceling a home game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently they are done for the season. From their announcement:

DAVIDSON, N.C. – The Davidson College athletic department announced Friday that the remainder of the 2023-24 women's basketball season has been canceled due to a significant number of injuries.

The Wildcats, who started the year a program-best 12-1, highlighted by a win at Duke, conclude the campaign 18-8 overall.  

Davidson College Statements

The physical, mental and emotional toll of this unfortunate and injury-riddled season has brought us to this point. We are incredibly saddened that we cannot finish out the season strong but feel this is the best decision for our scholar-athletes.

– Chris Clunie, Davidson Vice President & Director of Athletics

The injuries we have sustained this season have weighed heavily on our entire program. This decision is not one that we are taking lightly, as no one wanted it to end this way. Our team of young women is the strongest, most caring, and most competitive team I have ever been a part of. They have been an absolute JOY to coach, every single day. Despite the challenging nature of the way this season has unfolded, our team never wavered and competed to the very end. I am confident there is no team in the country that would have handled the hardship we faced with as much grace, strength, and adaptability as our young women did. I am so proud of them.

 Gayle Fulks, Davidson Head Coach

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I expect to see a lot of the bench players getting a lot of minutes. The top players? Some minutes to exercise them. Knox probably will play like it’s their postseason tournament, which it is.

The Prairie Fire will be bringing the heat to Chaifetz Arena tonight. Finish strong, ladies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Feb 16, 2022 - Lisa Stone’s final season, the Billikens (injury plagued all season), played St. Joseph’s with only 6 players and WON.  Starters were Brooke Flowers (40 min), Julia Martinez (40 min), Natalie McNeal (40 min), Peyton Kennedy (38 min), and Sarah Lazar (32 min). The entire available bench was Anna Maria Prifti, a transfer in from Greece in mid-season, who had not played a single minute all season prior to this game, who played 10 minutes (Sarah Lazar was a seldom played bench player who scored her first goal all season the game prior). St Joseph’s played 10 players, rotating in fresh players all game. Billikens hung tough, but were down by 7 points with 5:27 left. Then SLU makes it’s run, tying up the game on a Peyton Kennedy layup with 2:25 left, going ahead by 2 with 1:32 left on a Natalie McNeal layup, then icing the game with 2 FT’s each by Julia Martinez and Brooke Flowers, while only giving up 1 FT to the Hawks that stretch due the great defense. Final score 51-46, Billiken win. It had to be the most impressive win I’ve seen outside of the A10 tournament win last year, not a pretty game at all, but all guts and determination. Yes, you can play with 6.

https://slubillikens.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-22/saint-joseph-s/boxscore/15274

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

They say they have six but won’t play without 7. 🤔

Does that include walk-ons? They likely have walk on players and can play with them.

This is shameful and bush league for Davidson; i never thought they were a good addition to the conference and that's just proving right.

 

They were healthy enough to play THEIR senior night against GW.. then suddenly cancel. They need derision, not sympathy.

 

Knox College are ballers; kudos to them again. They didn't have to do this but they are ready to hit the court, unlike Davidson.

Lord Elrond likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Feb 16, 2022 - Lisa Stone’s final season, the Billikens (injury plagued all season), played St. Joseph’s with only 6 players and WON.  Starters were Brooke Flowers (40 min), Julia Martinez (40 min), Natalie McNeal (40 min), Peyton Kennedy (38 min), and Sarah Lazar (32 min). The entire available bench was Anna Maria Prifti, a transfer in from Greece in mid-season, who had not played a single minute all season prior to this game, who played 10 minutes (Sarah Lazar was a seldom played bench player who scored her first goal all season the game prior). St Joseph’s played 10 players, rotating in fresh players all game. Billikens hung tough, but were down by 7 points with 5:27 left. Then SLU makes it’s run, tying up the game on a Peyton Kennedy layup with 2:25 left, going ahead by 2 with 1:32 left on a Natalie McNeal layup, then icing the game with 2 FT’s each by Julia Martinez and Brooke Flowers, while only giving up 1 FT to the Hawks that stretch due the great defense. Final score 51-46, Billiken win. It had to be the most impressive win I’ve seen outside of the A10 tournament win last year, not a pretty game at all, but all guts and determination. Yes, you can play with 6.

https://slubillikens.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-22/saint-joseph-s/boxscore/15274

If this was a home game for Davidson they'd be playing.

https://atlantic10.com/boxscore.aspx?id=7ltyipP022aUJKmSgYVs3wXi7up73ghniwD5ElWyd07J7BNseBaMQePf0fY%2F3yUPBxQUwg2BBeQp%2FbmUjoCbslf2lFW4i5Jo%2FyMvxz6Xs1EiXvTVrezq9mPLLkW0Gbuz9006cEaklXA6VkCR%2B0jzkCz6jMViF3BReLRcxy1Yvy0%3D&path=wbball

 

Their senior night they were apparently healthy enough.. three days ago. Suddenly they're not "healthy enough" for the road trip.

73Billiken likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Soderball said:

Does that include walk-ons? They likely have walk on players and can play with them.

This is shameful and bush league for Davidson; i never thought they were a good addition to the conference and that's just proving right.

 

They were healthy enough to play THEIR senior night against GW.. then suddenly cancel. They need derision, not sympathy.

 

Knox College are ballers; kudos to them again. They didn't have to do this but they are ready to hit the court, unlike Davidson.

Only 6 players including walk-ons. One played against GW who had hardly played all year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dove into this deeper.  So they also canceled games at Dayton and at home against Fordham.  I think they only played GW because it was senior night.

This almost makes it worse.  Put a team together.  Just forfeiting is not enough.  There should be a financial penalty paid to the rest of the league members at the very least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...