Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Attempted to watch this game but only made it through one quarter. Wow, that was some bad basketball. A winning season is very much in doubt and even 10 wins might be a struggle.

SLU went cold shooting the ball in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, 4-19 in the 2nd, 4-16 in the 3rd, and that was enough to put them in a spot where they couldn’t win. Also not helpful, SLU got unrebounded 49-38 over the course of the game. Tierra Simon did her part, 13 rebounds off the bench, but no one else had more than 4, need to get more out of everyone else. Most efficient scoreing came off the bench, Brooklyn Gray 12 pts on 5-9, Camree Clegg 10 pts on 4-8. Kyla McMakin got 20, but that was on 6-18 shooting, Peyton Kennedy 10 pts on 4-15 shooting, Julia Martinez 6 pts on 2-7 shooting. The other thing that needs improvement was Drake got 29 fast break points, SLU only 13 fast break points, that’s not going to work. Missouri comes to town Sunday, need to clean up those things.

33 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Attempted to watch this game but only made it through one quarter. Wow, that was some bad basketball. A winning season is very much in doubt and even 10 wins might be a struggle.

It's one game, dude. Jesus come on.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

It was one game against a team that went to the NCAA’s last year. Things to work on. Not a good game, not saying that

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

It was one game against a team that went to the NCAA’s last year. Things to work on. Not a good game, not saying that

Just read up on the new signees. Not saying I follow ladies’ basketball recruiting, or men’s for that matter, so I have no idea how they might be ranked but these players appear to be excellent additions to the program. 

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The defense was some of the worst I've ever seen. It was like watching the playground girl beat Barkley in Space Jam

They gave up 78 points to a team that scored 80+ points most of their games last year.   It was a sloppy, ugly game.   But people saying they will only win 10 games are pessimistic and wrong.   

Just now, OkieBilliken said:

They gave up 78 points to a team that scored 80+ points most of their games last year.   It was a sloppy, ugly game.   But people saying they will only win 10 games are pessimistic and wrong.   

Correct.

I don’t care what the score line says, SLU looked completely disinterested and lost on defense. It’s clear they are missing Brooke’s presence under the hoop. They are going to have to figure it out quick. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Correct.

I don’t care what the score line says, SLU looked completely disinterested and lost on defense. It’s clear they are missing Brooke’s presence under the hoop. They are going to have to figure it out quick. 

It was a combo of poor defense and sh*tty shot selection/luck that lost them the game. They'll (they have to without Brooke) figure it out.

Tillett was clearly unhappy with the defense in her postgame interview. It was the first thing she said, basically that Drake is a lot further along defensively and they need to figure it out quickly.

I believe Stu's tweet at halftime said SLU had given up 9 uncontested layups in the first half. That was better in the second half but they had moments like when they let a Drake player get the ball right on the 3-point line - she wasn't looking to shoot but had so much time and space she took the 3 and buried it.

I appreciate using Martinez and Calhoun to create havoc to pressure guards as they're bringing the ball up but once they got back into a half court defense last night, it was a real problem. Get through the initial line of defense and a disciplined, experienced team like Drake could find gaps with a little patience.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Correct.

This is what I saw. Certain players anyway.