O.T. Could potential Pac 12 expansion affect thr A-10??

BLIKNS

The Pac 12 is rumored to be considering adding San Diego State and SMU... 

Say if SMU does leave the American , would that have any influence on Wichita State ? Being the only non football member... The American has a alot of new members joining after losing Cincinnati, Houston and UCF.

If the A-10 wants to get to 16 , Wichita State would be an interesting member , imo..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WSU would be #1 by a mile. 

#1 WSU

# 2 Belmont

#3 Temple IF we can get Lasalle to leave

# 4 University of Toronto 

This said, AAC losing SMU has nothing to do with WSU.  They already have 6 new teams joining next year. 

BC1764 likes this

I think factoring in losing Cincinnati, Houston, UCF and SMU( if they leave) basketball programs will have an impact on the conference's prestige level...

Adding Charlotte,FAU, North Texas,Rice,UAB, and UTSA.  Will still involve alot of travel, as would a move to the A-10... But will the new AAC still be regarded as a good basketball league???

Out of complete curiosity, I'm shocked how good the conference would be having this year.  Of course FAU will lose their coach.  But 5 top 100 teams, not bad.  Going off the NET, they would have a slight chance at 3 tourney teams. 

FAU 33

Memphis 38

North Texas 66

UAB 73

Tulane 80

Temple 113

Charlotte 118

WSU 120

USF 139

Rice 168

ECU 215

tulsa 272

UTSA 317

SMU is a strange choice. I guess they just desperately want to get into the Texas/Dallas market. But this would be worse than Rutgers joining the Big10. 

Football hasn't finished the season ranked since 1984.

Basketball is 36-43 in The American since joining it. SLU has gone to the tournament 4x more often since Fall 2013.

14 hours ago, Compton said:

SMU is a strange choice. I guess they just desperately want to get into the Texas/Dallas market. But this would be worse than Rutgers joining the Big10. 

Football hasn't finished the season ranked since 1984.

Basketball is 36-43 in The American since joining it. SLU has gone to the tournament 4x more often since Fall 2013.

They were really good when they had a payroll to meet. 

Here is my recommendation to benefit SLU. First, give up on the Big East, ain't going to happen, that boat sailed when they admitted UConn.

A10 needs to go get Bradley. They are not bad now, they have a very rich basketball history and they are very capable of being very good again. They are also (most important) an old SLU rival from the MVC days. Maybe some of you old timers like me remember the 1971 home game with Bradley but we put 14,000+ in the Old Barn. Jimmy 'the Jet' Irving went crazy that night.  Also they check the box of being private.

I know we all complain about Bernadette but she gave us nice gift with Loyola. I was worried she was going to come up with another school from the Southeast. I know Loyola stinks but look at Porter's first couple of years at Loyola in the Horizon. They I feel are capable of being, maybe not a Final 4 team again, very competitive. Still remember the Alfredrick Hughes days. Look at the crowd we put in the Gentile. Kind nice with folks making up from St Louis and nice alum base in Chicago. If Loyola was a little better this year and was on a weekend, SLU probably would have tripled that crowd. We can get that same relation with Bradley. It's close (back when I attended SLU in the early 70's I made it up to the old Robertson Field House and back the same night) and a large alum base in Central Illinois.

The A10, as the Great Majerus stated, "is an East Coast League, I look out from my window in Atlantic City and see the ocean".  Other than UD, I don't know if they consider us and we really have not lived up to our end of the bargain, our only rival. Do really have anything in common with New England state schools or Davidson (was good for me when I lived in Asheville). What did we draw the other night with URI, barely made 5000. We should be drawing with crappy conference game at least 8000 and a SRO with the better games (VCU & UD). Over the years I been to games at Charlotte, USM, ECU, UAB, and like I heard from Davidson fans asking "what is a Billiken"? May needs to advocate to make the League more Central Time Zone.

I think it would improve the A10 a lot for SLU's interest in MBB.

44 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

And with NIL, they are essentially back to the payroll model…

One the classic ESPN E60 was the show they did on SMU's death sentence.

The quote by, I think the Arkansas coach, "I was in a bidding war for Eric Dickerson and could not compete".

You're right all legal now.

34 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Here is my recommendation to benefit SLU. First, give up on the Big East, ain't going to happen, that boat sailed when they admitted UConn.

Why?  They are still going to add at least one more team, while we haven't done a lot as far as success over the last year or 2, neither had UD - one of the teams we're competing against to get in. 

34 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

A10 needs to go get Bradley. They are not bad now, they have a very rich basketball history and they are very capable of being very good again. They are also (most important) an old SLU rival from the MVC days. Maybe some of you old timers like me remember the 1971 home game with Bradley but we put 14,000+ in the Old Barn. Jimmy 'the Jet' Irving went crazy that night.  Also they check the box of being private.

Until Peoria hits 500k, I'm ok. Th biggest driver for an expansion team are two things, #1 TV market, #2 recent success. While #1 is a lost cause, #2 they are still trailing too far, but not terrible. average ranking of #121 over the last 5 years. 

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why?  They are still going to add at least one more team, while we haven't done a lot as far as success over the last year or 2, neither had UD - one of the teams we're competing against to get in. 

Until Peoria hits 500k, I'm ok. Th biggest driver for an expansion team are two things, #1 TV market, #2 recent success. While #1 is a lost cause, #2 they are still trailing too far, but not terrible. average ranking of #121 over the last 5 years. 

Regarding Big East, the New Big East was establish end of 2012 and they took XU and Butler. That was our time to get in. Chaifetz was still new and we had the strongest teams in my tenure of being a Billiken fan. We had our best Chaifetz attendance and a future HOF coach. It was our heyday and they ignored us. Maybe we get in, not in my life time. It's over, let us improve on what we have. 

We have Fordham in thee biggest market, do folks go to the games or watch them on TV in a NYC metro area? I believe Fordham was big mistake that gives the A10 or SLU nothing. Like LaSalle, once they are in you cannot get rid of them. Also it gave us no recruiting advantage in the talent laden NYC/No NJ recruiting area. I doubt it ever entered in French's decision to come here. What is left in the major metro areas that the A10 can get? Georgia State, Boston University, etc.. come on, more garbage.

3 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Regarding Big East, the New Big East was establish end of 2012 and the took XU and Butler. That was our time to get in. Chaifetz was still new and we had the strongest teams in my tenure of being a Billiken fan. We had our best Chaifetz attendance and a future HOF coach. It was our heyday and they ignored us. Maybe we get in, not in my life time. It's over, let us improve on what we have. 

Yes that was our best chance, but not the only chance.  Like I said, the BE will be adding again, who has more than us without argument? Just Gonzaga? And that comes with a 3k mile flight every game. 

4 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

games or watch them on TV in a NYC metro area? I believe Fordham was big mistake that gives the A10 or SLU nothing. Like LaSalle, once they are in you cannot get rid of them. Also it gave us no recruiting advantage in the talent laden NYC/No NJ recruiting area. I doubt it ever entered in French's decision to come here. What is left in the major metro areas that the A10 can get? Georgia State, Boston University, etc.. 

It has to be a mix of market and success.  Belmont is the absolute strongest suiter along with WSU.  People think I'm kidding, I would really look into Toronto.  The more I think about it, the more I like it the most. 

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It has to be a mix of market and success.  Belmont is the absolute strongest suiter along with WSU.  People think I'm kidding, I would really look into Toronto.  The more I think about it, the more I like it the most. 

Unless I’m missing something, the University of Toronto isn’t even in the NCAA, they are in U-Sports, a Canadian college sports organization. Their athletes are governed by what can be offered in Canada. Their football team (yes they have one) plays Canadian rules football. I like the out of the box thinking, but there is a lot to be dealt with here for them to join a non-football playing US conference.  Maybe as an associate member for basketball only?  But still a lot of stuff to deal with.

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Unless I’m missing something, the University of Toronto isn’t even in the NCAA, they are in U-Sports, a Canadian college sports organization. Their athletes are governed by what can be offered in Canada. Their football team (yes they have one) plays Canadian rules football. I like the out of the box thinking, but there is a lot to be dealt with here for them to join a non-football playing US conference.  Maybe as an associate member for basketball only?  But still a lot of stuff to deal with.

This is correct, but as far as my brief research went, schools can chose to join the NCAA. There are a few D2 Canadians schools. 

The Idea of getting a major market, a team located just about as close to most A10 schools as anyone else thrown around and with 2.5b endowment.  Ontario is full of Basketball talent they cant keep stay home due to players wanting to play D1. They could actually be a juggernaut with the talent they have.  

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yes that was our best chance, but not the only chance.  Like I said, the BE will be adding again, who has more than us without argument? Just Gonzaga? And that comes with a 3k mile flight every game. 

Toronto invites visa issues that arise from time to time.  The Blue Jays in MLB had to play in Buffalo during pandemic.  I hope that's not repeated, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.  And, is Toronto even an NCAA member? 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

This is correct, but as far as my brief research went, schools can chose to join the NCAA. There are a few D2 Canadians schools. 

The Idea of getting a major market, a team located just about as close to most A10 schools as anyone else thrown around and with 2.5b endowment.  Ontario is full of Basketball talent they cant keep stay home due to players wanting to play D1. They could actually be a juggernaut with the talent they have.  

Maybe, but their record the last 5 years they competed isn’t great

2022-23 currently 12-7

2021-22 5-10

nothing during the Covid year, apparently Covid sucked in Canada as much as here

2019-20 5-17

2018-19 7-16

2017-18 13-11

They have played games against US schools in that timeframe. This year, for example they played Ferris State, a Division 2 school in the GLIAC, and lost 100-82

None of this screams basketball powerhouse to me. But again, it’s an intriguing idea. Maybe schedule some games with A10 schools  (like St Bonaventure, who’s close) or anyone else and see if there is a fit?

11 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Maybe, but their record the last 5 years they competed isn’t great

2022-23 currently 12-7

2021-22 5-10

nothing during the Covid year, apparently Covid sucked in Canada as much as here

2019-20 5-17

2018-19 7-16

2017-18 13-11

They have played games against US schools in that timeframe. This year, for example they played Ferris State, a Division 2 school in the GLIAC, and lost 100-82

None of this screams basketball powerhouse to me. But again, it’s an intriguing idea. Maybe schedule some games with A10 schools  (like St Bonaventure, who’s close) or anyone else and see if there is a fit?

-Toronto is close to most schools, really just STL and Davidson.  Its closer to UD than UD is to any school on the coast.  

-Part of this working would have to be a commitment to the basketball program. Obviously if they're not serious about it, I wouldn't want this to happen.  But you cant tell me they don't have the most boxes to check, and if they are serious about basketball, they could be better than just about any team in the A10.

-Yes, the visa issue would be the biggest challenge.  No doubt.  But given the schools we realistically have to choose from, it may be worth it.  

- Canadian teams have expressed interest in joining the NCAA, might as well get a jump

15 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

Toronto invites visa issues that arise from time to time.  The Blue Jays in MLB had to play in Buffalo during pandemic.  I hope that's not repeated, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.  And, is Toronto even an NCAA member? 

They are not.  But there are Canadian schools that are, so its like they couldn't be. Visa is an issue, but its worth it if they're serious about basketball. 

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Dayton to Toronto is closer than Dayton to Duquesne?  Dayton to Loyola?

nevermind —— coast cities.

Ya I wasn't clear, instead of coast I really meant northeast. 

Seems a bit ironic that for years a large portion of the fan base seemed to have the thought that SLU was too good for the MVC.  Now we see Creighton in the Beast, others want WSU in the A10, Loyola has already joined the A10, some want MVC Bradley, or even a former OVC school currently in the MVC to join the A10.  Simply a observation, not a slam.

Belmont was mentioned. I live in Nashville. They have a small gym,  similar to a LaSalle or GW, and only draw about 2000/g. Yea the school is in Nashville but that's about it. Vandy sucks up all the basketball oxygen in Nashville. Bradley more than doubles that attendance and as I said, has a far better basketball heritage. BTW Bradley NET today is 71 (which would be 1st in the A10), Belmont is 127. Another ho-hum middle of the pack A10 school. On a personal observation, for Bradley home and away games, people will know who we are playing and get into it. You play Belmont, most people attending either home game will not even know where either school is. I get tired of folks asking me where I went school here, I say Saint Louis and they say oh, you went to Wash U. 

Would be good for me, sure. Only have to drive about 30 minutes away for a game with no problem getting a seat. I just want what's best for SLU!

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

They are not.  But there are Canadian schools that are, so its like they couldn't be. Visa is an issue, but its worth it if they're serious about basketball. 

A10 Tourney in Toronto would be sick.

BANGheGOTit likes this