Women's Basketball 2022-2023

Pistol

22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I normally roll my eyes at "I'm staying" announcements but it was an open question for her, especially given that she walked on senior night. Huge news for SLU.

Her wording makes me like her even more. She's a SLU WBB legend and that's fact.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

I normally roll my eyes at "I'm staying" announcements but it was an open question for her, especially given that she walked on senior night. Huge news for SLU.

It works out well that her Masters of Athletic Training program is 5 years so she was going to be at SLU another year anyway but love that she chose to continue playing. Her schedule with school, clinical rotations, and basketball has to be a grind.   

People have been talking about who’s coming and going on the men’s side, so why not a little on the women’s side? 😁

Brooke Flowers is the big loss, hard to replace one of if not the best players the program ever had, but I sure wish her well. Sevval Gul is graduating and heading back to her family in Turkey, good luck to her on the Turkish National Team, and Marissa Warren left in mid season. Kiley Bess announced she was leaving in the transfer portal, she is now apparently over her injury from last season.  

‘As for incoming students, there are no incoming freshmen next year that I am aware of, casualties of the coaching transition.  Coach Tillet did manage to get a 2024 commitment as reported by @courtside, Mia Bergstrom from St Viators in Arlington Heights, IL (same hometown as former SLU player Jackie Kemph, so no pressure, Mia!).  She hir 39% from the 3pt line as a sophomore, we need a sniper from long range on the team. For this year, @courtside has reported on here 3 incoming JUCO transfers.  From Pearl River CC, Marcavia Shavers, 6’2” forward, her bio says she’s a good defender, 7.5 points/game, .538 FG shooting, but never tried a 3 point shot, 7.5 Rebs per game. Looks to compete with Sarah Lazar and Nafatoumata Haidara for minutes on the inside. Also from Pearl River CC is Tierra Simon, 6’1” small forward, 5.7 points/game, .463 FG, .375 3PT, 7.4 Rebs/game.  From Wabash Valley JC, Brooklyn Gray, 5’11” forward, 13.9 pts/Game, .499 FG, .354 3pt, 4.6 Rebs/Game.  Not sure what those JC stats translate to at the D1 level.  Also in the mix will be all the other returners from this year.

There is one more opening I am aware of with Kiley Bess leaving. I read an article that activity on the women’s transfer portal was down a lot this year (1300 last year, only 300 this year).  One interesting player was Lauren Ware, a 6’5” sophomore from Arizona (same place we got Sevval Gul from), coming off a knee injury but should be good to go, a defender (1.1 blocks/game in limited action). Article says she might be a project, but guess which school can point to a good track record with putting 6’5” players in a position to succeed? 😃

So that’s all I have so far, guess we’ll see what happens. Hoping for the best for SLU.

People have been talking about who’s coming and going on the men’s side, so why not a little on the women’s side? 😁

Brooke Flowers is the big loss, hard to replace one of if not the best players the program ever had, but I sure wish her well. Sevval Gul is graduating and heading back to her family in Turkey, good luck to her on the Turkish National Team, and Marissa Warren left in mid season. Kiley Bess announced she was leaving in the transfer portal, she is now apparently over her injury from last season.  

‘As for incoming students, there are no incoming freshmen next year that I am aware of, casualties of the coaching transition.  Coach Tillet did manage to get a 2024 commitment as reported by @courtside, Mia Bergstrom from St Viators in Arlington Heights, IL (same hometown as former SLU player Jackie Kemph, so no pressure, Mia!).  She hir 39% from the 3pt line as a sophomore, we need a sniper from long range on the team. For this year, @courtside has reported on here 3 incoming JUCO transfers.  From Pearl River CC, Marcavia Shavers, 6’2” forward, her bio says she’s a good defender, 7.5 points/game, .538 FG shooting, but never tried a 3 point shot, 7.5 Rebs per game. Looks to compete with Sarah Lazar and Nafatoumata Haidara for minutes on the inside. Also from Pearl River CC is Tierra Simon, 6’1” small forward, 5.7 points/game, .463 FG, .375 3PT, 7.4 Rebs/game.  From Wabash Valley JC, Brooklyn Gray, 5’11” forward, 13.9 pts/Game, .499 FG, .354 3pt, 4.6 Rebs/Game.  Not sure what those JC stats translate to at the D1 level.  Also in the mix will be all the other returners from this year.

There is one more opening I am aware of with Kiley Bess leaving. I read an article that activity on the women’s transfer portal was down a lot this year (1300 last year, only 300 this year).  One interesting player was Lauren Ware, a 6’5” sophomore from Arizona (same place we got Sevval Gul from)

courtside likes this

According to wbbblog.com, Sarah Lazar has entered the portal, so there are 2 open slots for new players (Kiley Bess and Sarah Lazar leaving) for next year.  Transfer portal as of today, 358 women have entered the portal, 62 have found new places for next year so far.

20 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

According to wbbblog.com, Sarah Lazar has entered the portal, so there are 2 open slots for new players (Kiley Bess and Sarah Lazar leaving) for next year.  Transfer portal as of today, 358 women have entered the portal, 62 have found new places for next year so far.

She never really got/had much of a chance to play, but I liked what I saw when she did play. Bummer.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

She never really got/had much of a chance to play, but I liked what I saw when she did play. Bummer.

Lazar played a total of 8 minutes, the previous season she clocked 147 minutes. The 8 minutes was the fewest anyone played on the team.

24 minutes ago, Speyburn said:

Lazar played a total of 8 minutes, the previous season she clocked 147 minutes. The 8 minutes was the fewest anyone played on the team.

I was wondering if they wouldn’t have tried to put Brooke Flowers and someone else tall in there at the same time, and feed the ball inside on offense and force other teams outside on defense. This year, it was really only 1 big in at any one time.  When Myriama Smith Traore and Brooke were both in back in the day, I thought they complemented each other well on both offense and defense, and was hoping to find that same combo, with either Brooke and Sevval Gul, or Brooke and Sarah Lazar, but I guess not. Nafatoumata Haidara is the only really tall Billiken left, unless they land someone in the portal.  Going to have different look next year.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I was wondering if they wouldn’t have tried to put Brooke Flowers and someone else tall in there at the same time, and feed the ball inside on offense and force other teams outside on defense. This year, it was really only 1 big in at any one time.  When Myriama Smith Traore and Brooke were both in back in the day, I thought they complemented each other well on both offense and defense, and was hoping to find that same combo, with either Brooke and Sevval Gul, or Brooke and Sarah Lazar, but I guess not. Nafatoumata Haidara is the only really tall Billiken left, unless they land someone in the portal.  Going to have different look next year.

Yeah not having any experienced bigs is going to be strange. This is the first team I can remember since I started seriously following them that they haven't had someone over 6'2" on the roster.

E: I know Nafatoumata Haidara is 6'5" but I don't know how much she'll contribute next season.

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour

SLU has 3 juco transfers coming in, 2 of whom are 6-2: Marcavia Shavers and Tierra Simon, both from Pearl River CC. Not a height replacement for Flowers, but both are bigger, stronger, and more physical than Flowers.

There is also a 5-11 guard from Wabash College, Brooklyn Gray.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:33 PM, Lord Elrond said:

There is one more opening I am aware of with Kiley Bess leaving. I read an article that activity on the women’s transfer portal was down a lot this year (1300 last year, only 300 this year).  One interesting player was Lauren Ware, a 6’5” sophomore from Arizona (same place we got Sevval Gul from)

They have been exploring the portal, looked at Juco, and they have mostly targeted 2024, 2025, 2026 players.

28 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This is nit-picking but Simon is listed as 6'1" on her player profile.

There’s always been a bit of “rubber” in the measuring tapes used for recruits on the men’s side, I guess the women’s game is catching up. Charles Barkley complained that people were always measuring him at somewhere around 6’4’ 3/4 to 6’5” , even though he would say “But I’m really 6’6”!”.  Gotcha Charles, no problem….

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

There’s always been a bit of “rubber” in the measuring tapes used for recruits on the men’s side, I guess the women’s game is catching up. Charles Barkley complained that people were always measuring him at somewhere around 6’4’ 3/4 to 6’5” , even though he would say “But I’m really 6’6”!”.  Gotcha Charles, no problem….

There were the infamous Spoon era measurements "with shoes" and "without shoes."  Seems like everybody lost a few inches when they got here

On 3/14/2023 at 10:03 AM, courtside said:

According to Mike Vukovcan, (covers Pitt) 2 A10 coaches are interviewing for the vacancy at Pittsburgh: Tory Verdi at UMass and Caroline McCombs at George Washington. Others that have interviewed are Toledo’s Tricia Cullup and Marquette’s Megan Duffy.

Previous Pitt compensation was $640k plus bonus and incentives. That would seemingly take Duffy out of it as she makes close to that at Marquette. (unless Pitt decides they want to push higher in compensation closer to what other Power 5 schools are doing) Verdi and McCombs are roughly in the $300k plus range plus bonus and incentives. 

UMass Head Coach Tory Verdi is the new Head Coach at Pittsburgh.

The connection is Verdi was previously a 4 year Head Coach at Eastern Michigan under the current Pittsburgh AD.

2 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I...am disappointed in myself for not knowing she was ever here.

I didn't see every home game this year, but I don't recall ever seeing her in a game. She's from Ohio (All-Ohio 2nd team in high school) so going home I guess.

Stats show 8 games, 15 minutes and 1 made basket.

21 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Coulda fooled me. I was at every game but 1 this year 🤷‍♂️ don't remember her at all.

In looking at her stats, she only appeared at home against SIUE, where she scored her only basket, the last points of the game with 7 seconds to go in the game.  All other games she played in were two at the neutral site at the tournament SLU played at, the rest were on the road.

An ESPN mock WNBA draft has Brooke Flowers going in the 3rd round to the Connecticut Sun. Real draft is Monday, best of luck to Brooke.

https://t.co/t6ttuINBmV?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^embeddedtimeline|twterm^screen-name%2Fslug%3ABillikensdotcom%2F1490203089844019202|twcon^s1

RUBillsFan likes this