O.T. Will the A-10 go to divisons??

BLIKNS

With Loyola coming in next year , growing the league to 15 teams, will their be 3 -5 teams divisons or just 1 overall???

Myself I would like to see 3 Divisions  

WEST- Dayton, Duquesne,  Loyola, St. Bonaventure,  and SLU

North- Fordham, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St.Joseph's, and UMass

South- Davidson,George Mason,GW, Richmond and VCU

Just used Geography... play divison twice , and everyone else once make 18 game league schedule, or add 2 crossover game to get to the new trendy 20 game schedule..

Should the league try to expand to 16??

Thoughts?

I like the idea of dividing it up into three geographic groups and playing those teams twice. I'd stick with the 18-game schedule for now using that format. I wouldn't officially divide it up into divisions, though.

Zink likes this

6 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

With Loyola coming in next year , growing the league to 15 teams, will their be 3 -5 teams divisons or just 1 overall???

Myself I would like to see 3 Divisions  

WEST- Dayton, Duquesne,  Loyola, St. Bonaventure,  and SLU

North- Fordham, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St.Joseph's, and UMass

South- Davidson,George Mason,GW, Richmond and VCU

Just used Geography... play divison twice , and everyone else once make 18 game league schedule, or add 2 crossover game to get to the new trendy 20 game schedule..

Should the league try to expand to 16??

Thoughts?

I would like to see the A10 do something completely original.

1. We could set the divisions as upper and lower based on non-conference rankings. Meaning that the upper plays the upper more and the lower plays the lower. Helps avoid bad loses and builds strength if schedule. It also helps bad programs look a little better. 

2. The conference could be set up as a series of tournaments where the losing teams play out to a final spot, then average all the tournament rankings for a conference champion. Maybe weight the last one as a double amount.

3. Set up three-legged races on consecutive Sundays, to be performed  in the event of a tie.

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

1. We could set the divisions as upper and lower based on non-conference rankings. Meaning that the upper plays the upper more and the lower plays the lower. Helps avoid bad loses and builds strength if schedule. It also helps bad programs look a little better. 

2. The conference could be set up as a series of tournaments where the losing teams play out to a final spot, then average all the tournament rankings for a conference champion. Maybe weight the last one as a double amount.

3. Set up three-legged races on consecutive Sundays, to be performed  in the event of a tie.

I like this a lot. Which metrics would be used? And when? I feel like they probably want to have the schedule set before the season starts, but if a team that was expected to be good craps the bed in non-con that could screw with the system.

13 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Regarding #1--Conference records could get really distorted.  The 'tallest dwarf' could have a significantly better record than the 'smallest giant.'  While the smallest giant probably isn't dancing at large anyway, it gives them a tough road in the conference tourney.  

35 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

Regarding #1--Conference records could get really distorted.  The 'tallest dwarf' could have a significantly better record than the 'smallest giant.'  While the smallest giant probably isn't dancing at large anyway, it gives them a tough road in the conference tourney.  

The lower division is not playing for an equal title. They would end up in Conference spots 7-14, or whatever, by default. Or, there could be some system for interspacing, but the lower cannot be in the top 4 spots.

in general, the lower division cedes the conference championship by default.

45 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

I like this a lot. Which metrics would be used? And when? I feel like they probably want to have the schedule set before the season starts, but if a team that was expected to be good craps the bed in non-con that could screw with the system.

Conference games would all be on the same days, Wed/sat. You would not know your opponent until the start of conference season, or the start of a tournament. I don’t really know why that would be a problem.

Bring back the red white & blue divisions.

Its hard to lock in divisions based on geography because every team in the A10 wants more games against 4 or 5 teams in the league.  The rest they don't want to play.  A west division would be much more competitive than say a NE division maybe.

I think it would be hard to come up with a system for maximizing bids with 3 conferences.  That was CUSA's problem.  One of the divisions was stronger and a possible NCAA team took too many losses while teams who would never e considered pad their record with cupcakes in another division.

I think it’s time to cut the fat in the A10. LaSalle and GW should go Colonial (sorry Steve). We should have picked up Belmont and Iona. Having slick Rick in the conference immediately gives us some cred. Fordham should have hired him 2 years ago,