Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

It's pretty clear that the two priorities are a backup big and a backup point/combo guard.  In a perfect world, LHJ would go to prep school, take his game to another level and sign in 2023.  The potential is there -- he had a strong last month of the season.  But at his current level, he's the 13th player on the roster.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's pretty clear that the two priorities are a backup big and a backup point/combo guard.  In a perfect world, LHJ would go to prep school, take his game to another level and sign in 2023.  The potential is there -- he had a strong last month of the season.  But at his current level, he's the 13th player on the roster.

Is that assuming Javonte comes back?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Perkins were to move on, we'd have to make do in the transfer portal.  LHJ's position in the pecking order would not change.  

My bad.  I agree on LHJ.  I was speaking more on the starting lineup for next year.  Would you look for a starter next year in the portal?

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

My bad.  I agree on LHJ.  I was speaking more on the starting lineup for next year.  Would you look for a starter next year in the portal?

We've been looking for a starting power forward in the transfer market for years but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

I am a realist.  Parker has the most upside of any player we will sign in this class.  Whether that translates into a starter depends on how quickly he can learn to defend at the level we require.  We can't afford to start him alongside Perkins and Jimerson as is.  We'd be the one of the worst defensive teams in the conference.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've been looking for a starting power forward in the transfer market for years but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

I am a realist.  Parker has the most upside of any player we will sign in this class.  Whether that translates into a starter depends on how quickly he can learn to defend at the level we require.  We can't afford to start him alongside Perkins and Jimerson as is.  We'd be the one of the worst defensive teams in the conference.

Ok.  Appreciate the insight.  

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don’t disagree but there is nothing wrong with scoring more points than your opponents 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, 3star_recruit said:

Parker has the most upside of any player we will sign in this class.  Whether that translates into a starter depends on how quickly he can learn to defend at the level we require.  We can't afford to start him alongside Perkins and Jimerson as is.  We'd be the one of the worst defensive teams in the conference.

Saying we can't afford to start Parker next to Perkins and Jimmerson due to D is like saying Michael Jackson shouldn't be up there on the stage because he doesn't play an instrument like Tito and the rest. Even if this trio's D is mediocre, they'll still outgun most other teams...if Perkins returns.

12 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Saying we can't afford to start Parker next to Perkins and Jimmerson due to D is like saying Michael Jackson shouldn't be up there on the stage because he doesn't play an instrument like Tito and the rest. Even if this trio's D is mediocre, they'll still outgun most other teams...if Perkins returns.

Tough to just try to out score and not play defense and expect to win consistently.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, 3star_recruit said:

The three most successful teams in the conference this year were not great on defense, with a better offense. One of those being on the very side, but still. I’m ok with an elite offense and terrible defense, I’m not ok with an ok offense and a terrible defense. 

willie likes this

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Tough to just try to out score and not play defense and expect to win consistently.

The two most consistent defenses went to the nit. 2 of the top 3 offenses went to the Tournament.  

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The three most successful teams in the conference this year were not great on defense, with a better offense. One of those being on the very side, but still. I’m ok with an elite offense and terrible defense, I’m not ok with an ok offense and a terrible defense. 

How about an elite offense and an ok defense?  Because if you simply insert Perkins into the starting lineup, that's probably what we'll have.  There's no sense in going below that defensive threshold if your offense is already elite.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

That depends on how you define success. I think VCU/Dayton finished 2nd and 3rd in the conference for a reason.

We can’t afford to have a terrible defense or offense. Our team next season will only come close to its potential to we’re good on both ends of the ball

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

The two most consistent defenses went to the nit. 2 of the top 3 offenses went to the Tournament.  

So is your point that only offense is needed and no defense at all?  I doubt those schools in the Tourney aren't playing any type of effective defense.  The question really is do you define yourself by your defense or by being only a scoring team.  I think the idea of playing some reasonable defense is still a critical requirement.  Defense is always there or at least should be but offense can go missing.  The defense can keep you in the game until your offense starts clicking.  

56 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So is your point that only offense is needed and no defense at all?  I doubt those schools in the Tourney aren't playing any type of effective defense.  The question really is do you define yourself by your defense or by being only a scoring team.  I think the idea of playing some reasonable defense is still a critical requirement.  Defense is always there or at least should be but offense can go missing.  The defense can keep you in the game until your offense starts clicking.  

Defense can also go missing.  There will always be at least a couple of games where you're a step slow. In those games, you'll need your offense to carry you. 

I agree with you that there has to be some sort of balance.  Starting a team that can't even keep themselves in the game when their shot is off sounds like a terrible idea.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

only saying I think the old method of Defense is everything, offense comes and goes is a little overplayed.  Im also no way saying Defense isnt important. 

I think we would be in good shape with a Defense in the top 100 as long as the offense is near or T25. Defense can we be 75-90 if offense is T35 etc. 

9 hours ago, NH said:

That depends on how you define success. I think VCU/Dayton finished 2nd and 3rd in the conference for a reason.

I define it on if you get to the tournament or not. SLU has had good seasons for the past few years, but it almost means nothing if you dont make it to the tournament.  

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

How about an elite offense and an ok defense?  Because if you simply insert Perkins into the starting lineup, that's probably what we'll have.  There's no sense in going below that defensive threshold if your offense is already elite.

I agree.  

11 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Hey Menace, you need to just beat it with that Michael Jackson analogy. The best Billiken's teams in the modern era, from 2011 to 2014, had lock-down defense as their signature trademark. It was mostly a lack of defense that lost games for the Billikens this year. It is meaningless to score 85 pts against UMass when they score 91.

9 minutes ago, David King said:

Hey Menace, you need to just beat it with that Michael Jackson analogy. The best Billiken's teams in the modern era, from 2011 to 2014, had lock-down defense as their signature trademark. It was mostly a lack of defense that lost games for the Billikens this year. It is meaningless to score 85 pts against UMass when they score 91.

What about just scoring 59 and losing to your opp who only scored 64.  For as many games that went the way Umass did, we have games go the exact opposite in losses.  we win more games this year with a player who can complement GJ on the 3, OR a player who can hit the mid range jumper more so than adding a defensive player, imo 

Some times a high offensive team is a good defensive team, and not where the numbers show.  Making shots consistently wears on the other team mentally. They think they have to go toe to toe.  Look at Davidson for us x2.  They couldn't miss and it makes it feel like we need to shoot quicker than normal, or force shots. 

36 minutes ago, willie said:

After watching way to much basketball in the NCAA tournament I will take the teams that can score the basketball. You gotta make shots to win. It also doesn't hurt to make free throws. 

We're already averaging 76 ppg a game.  Adding Perkins should push us over 80.  The challenge will be holding the line on defense so we don't get into shootouts with mediocre teams.  Kramer and Thames get after it defensively.  In the fight for playing time, they will push Parker to be better.