SLU Women's Soccer Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, there was some discussion earlier on this thread about the quality of what you get on tv sometimes. Give Missouri State credit, this telecast is really good, good video resolution, multiple camera angles, audio levels good, and two announcers who are doing well, I think. One of the better ones I’ve seen, actually.

Hannah Friedrich now has 4 SLU career records (game-winning goals, assists, games played, games started)

Congratulations to her, quite a career, but the season is not over yet, and she could have more.

You can see just how much the Billiken offense was missing injured players last year. In 8 non-conference, non-exhibition games, they didn’t score any goals in 5 of them, and only scored 6 total in all of those games.  They’ve now scored 16 goals in 5 games this year.

Tonka likes this

5-1 win over Nebraska, Lawler, Gaebe, Larsen, Miller and Groark 1 each, 3 assists to Kelly, 1 assist to Larsen. Hard for an opponent to concentrate on any one Billiken. They got out to an early lead, and had a 4-0 advantage at halftime. I didn’t see much to criticize, 5-1 is a “decisive result on the pitch” as they say. 300th program win for womens soccer.  And one last thing, they sure don’t need to water Hermann Stadium anytime soon, nature did a really good job of it today. A few players slipping, but no dangerous field conditions.

BuiltFordBills likes this

2-2-1, this was their first road game of the year too. They are not the best in the Big Ten, 11th last year and didn’t make the  conference tournament. But still, this was a decisive win over a Power 5 conference team. Thursday at Xavier should be a tougher matchup, they are currently ranked 19th, but they lost 2-0 to Northwestern today. I think the Billikens can take them if they are on their game.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, Lord Elrond said:

By the way, there was some discussion earlier on this thread about the quality of what you get on tv sometimes. Give Missouri State credit, this telecast is really good, good video resolution, multiple camera angles, audio levels good, and two announcers who are doing well, I think. One of the better ones I’ve seen, actually.

I’ll often go back and rewatch games when I get a chance, often without sound. (I don’t need sound). But this is correct. SLU could learn a lot from Missouri State’s broadcast in a variety of ways. 

SLU has had a good strong non-conference schedule in recent years, and, this year is no different. SLU again, is playing teams from a variety of Power Leagues, ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big East. (They also play the Big 12 regularly)

The first thing is that SLU is good. They will win a lot of games. Their play quality the past two games has been very good. Four goals in the first 23 minutes against Nebraska is good.

Nebraska is a solid team. Top 100 RPI team last year. They lost only one game all last season by more than one goal. (by 2 goals). They had lopsided wins over Mizzou, Illinois, Minnesota. They also defeated Sweet 16 team Wisconsin. They lost by one goal to another Sweet 16 team, Michigan. And remember Final Four Rutgers last year? Nebraska played them 0-1. They already have a win and a draw vs Power 5 teams this year. They are a solid schedule addition. They will get some results with their good schedule. 

Michigan State will be one of the most improved Big 10 teams this year under 2nd year coach Jeff Hosler. They lost 1-0 to Arkansas yesterday. DePaul had to cancel their game with Arkansas, and the Razorbacks picked up an upgrade scheduling Grand Canyon. 

Since defeating SLU, Notre Dame has defeated Illinois 4-0, and, Wisconsin 4-1. Both were dominant performances. The games weren’t even as close as those lopsided scores. 23-6 in shots over Wisconsin, 10-4 corners. Wingate had a hat trick and she could have had 5 goals. Wisconsin has a top 10 draw TCU and a solid 2-0 win over a good Butler team.

SLU’s next opponent is Xavier. Xavier has won the Big East title 2 out of the last 3 seasons. They have already defeated both Louisville and Loyola Chicago on the road. It’s another great opportunity for SLU against a good team. It will be a challenging game (on bad turf). 

Last season, SLU played teams from ACC, Big 12, Big Ten (2), Big East. SLU wants as many games as possible, 5 against these teams and leagues non conference. 

SLU’s team is good. Their non-conference schedule is good. And there are still some teams that won’t play SLU, let alone, play a home and home with SLU. And unlike some SLU opponents, SLU isn’t taking charter flights to games. They are scheduling regionally and taking a charter bus. 

On 9/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, Lord Elrond said:

SLU's ESPN+ broadcasts are elite tier in all of NCAA IMO. We have a really great young broadcaster in Colin Suhre for non-soccer and Dan Bettlach for soccer with at least 3 cameras per broadcast. The only bummer is how locked in Bill McDermott is to PA announcing here. He's so good on color. By the way you haven't lived until you've spent quality time with Bill. A great soccer mind and an even better man.

slufanskip, brianstl and AGB91 like this

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

SLU's ESPN+ broadcasts are elite tier in all of NCAA IMO. We have a really great young broadcaster in Colin Suhre for non-soccer and Dan Bettlach for soccer with at least 3 cameras per broadcast. The only bummer is how locked in Bill McDermott is to PA announcing here. He's so good on color. By the way you haven't lived until you've spent quality time with Bill. A great soccer mind and an even better man.

No shade being thrown on the SLU broadcast, but I felt I had to give a complement to Missouri State. Especially after watching the game against Kansas City on their webcast, I got a headache from how grainy that broadcast was.  Although to be fair, it might have been my setup. The game against Xavier is on FloSports, they broadcast the game when the WBB team went to the NIT before Covid. I hope they’ve improved, I was not impressed with that game quality.

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

No shade being thrown on the SLU broadcast, but I felt I had to give a complement to Missouri State. Especially after watching the game against Kansas City on their webcast, I got a headache from how grainy that broadcast was.  Although to be fair, it might have been my setup. The game against Xavier is on FloSports, they broadcast the game when the WBB team went to the NIT before Covid. I hope they’ve improved, I was not impressed with that game quality.

As much as I enjoy SLU Sports. I flat refuse to pay Flo Sports any amount of money.

29 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

As much as I enjoy SLU Sports. I flat refuse to pay Flo Sports any amount of money.

You are a wise man. To view it, you need to be a Pro member of Flo Sports, and sign up for a $29.99 monthly subscription. Hard pass for me on that one, the telecast was crap if I recall correctly the one time I watched, but it wasn’t that much money either.

Xavier returns 23 players and 8 starters from a Big East Title team. It’s certainly the deepest team Nate Lie’s had there. They will play a lot of players. And what player losses they have had (Jakovich at center back etc…) they have effectively replaced with transfers and Freshmen (Bain is a solid big tall strong center back in the middle) 

Molly McGlaughlin is back for a grad year as the heart and soul of their team in the defensive midfield. Le can play left back or left wing, Big East Freshman of the Year Ella Rogers joins the central midfield, as does transfer Avery Lockwood, an Indiana transfer who is off to a good start. 

Final 3rd finishing has been a collective group effort. Some of it has come off of the bench. Xavier will pressure defensively in bunches, especially early each half trying to force turnovers and transition. They’ll make some diagonal runs and shrink the width of the field. Rogers, Vargas, Rivard-Roberts etc…

Should be another tough game against a very good opponent. Local component now that Jakovich has graduated, is Chloe Netzel, who will likely play about half of the game either starting or off of the bench up top. Chloe played club ball with SLU’s Emly Gaebe and Ellie Paloucek. 

SLU checks in at 15 nationally in this week's United Soccer Coaches Poll after two strong performances last week. Well earned.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Also, congrats to the whole program on being ranked 15th in the country, which I believe is the all-time high ranking for the Women.

Let's not let up in the game at Xavier this week.

Xavier is good, but I think we can beat them, Roll Bills!

3-2 victory for the Billikens! Down 1-0, Katie Houck ties it, down 2-1, Caroline Kelly ties it, then Kelly gets the winning goal!

I didn’t watch, I chose not to be ripped off by FloSports, but from the stats it looked like a tough, hard fought game (7 yellow cards total). Kelly was the playmaker today on offense, Puricelli gets 5 saves. I think the defense missed Sophia Stram (hope she’s all right, she’s a great defensive player). Going on the road and beating a team as good as Xavier is a great victory.

SIUE on Sunday, 1pm at Hermann Stadium.  SIUE is a good team, they won the OVC last year, they’ve had some losses this year, but I think that will motivate them to try to beat SLU.  Roll Bills!